Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pre-DLC Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Can someone tell me why Californians are so gay and sjw?

What's wrong with that part of Usa?
Hollywood has always been a gathering beacon for homosexuals and jews. And the gaming industry is doing its best to imitate Hollywood.

Also, the arts have always attracted insecure people, because people who think farther than their next meal and sleep, and think complex thoughts, tend to also doubt themselves. There is a big intersection between insecure people and homosexuals. As for the minorities, they have always been sticking out for each other.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
How do you measure writing level in a game? What is writing? Do we divide it into categories? Who is qualified to judge it, if the public (Kodex [poll]) is unworthy?
This question is why my approach is "assume that every game's writing is shit, don't expect anything but shit, and if a game strikes you as notable for its writing in a good way, count it as good". Examples: Planescape Torment has "good writing". Grim Fandango also has "good writing".

Since most books and movies don't deserve a serious look at their "writing", and they are supposed to be the more prestigious mediums, I think putting games under any sort of scrutiny is artificial.

I'm not saying you are one of those people, but people who seriously discuss Star Wars' and Avengers' plotlines and characters, and then sit down and get anal about some videogame's writing, are obvious poseurs.
It si s pretty simple,most games have meh level of writing,some have good writing and games like deadfire have really terrible writing. If the writing was decent people would have ignored it like PoE,it was bad but in a meh category,that is because it have mix of good and shit writing. Here in deadfire we have terrible writing that everyone is noticing.

Everything should be put under scrutiny! IF you want harmless discussions go to rpgwatch or retardera.

Last edited:

AwesomeButton

Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I haven't been struck by Deadfire as having particularly bad writing. I wouldn't go into comparing slightly black shit vs slightly browner shit.

dragonul09

Arcane
Edgy
How do you measure writing level in a game? What is writing? Do we divide it into categories? Who is qualified to judge it, if the public (Kodex [poll]) is unworthy?
This question is why my approach is "assume that every game's writing is shit, don't expect anything but shit, and if a game strikes you as notable for its writing in a good way, count it as good". Examples: Planescape Torment has "good writing". Grim Fandango also has "good writing".

Since most books and movies don't deserve a serious look at their "writing", and they are supposed to be the more prestigious mediums, I think putting games under any sort of scrutiny is artificial.

I'm not saying you are one of those people, but people who seriously discuss Star Wars' and Avengers' plotlines and characters, and then sit down and get anal about some videogame's writing, are obvious poseurs.
Is pretty simple,most games meh level of writing,some have good writing and games like deadfire have really terrible writing. If the writing was decent people would have ignored it like PoE,it was bad but in a meh category,that is because it have mix of good and shit writing. Here in deadfire we have terrible writing that everyone is noticing.

Everything should be put under scrutiny! IF you want harmless discussions go to rpgwatch or retardera.

You sound exactly like I me when I was bitching about how horrible Kingdom Come Garbagery was, I'm so proud of you:lol:

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

Is pretty simple,most games meh level of writing,some have good writing and games like deadfire have really terrible writing. If the writing was decent people would have ignored it like PoE,it was bad but in a meh category,that is because it have mix of good and shit writing. Here in deadfire we have terrible writing that everyone is noticing.

You sound exactly like I me when I was bitching about how horrible Kingdom Come Garbagery was, I'm so proud of you:lol:
Both of us have our autistic moments :salute:.

norolim

Arcane
19g4nquneiybpjpg.jpg

dragonfall-is-the-shadowrun-i-know-and-love-1525636558
Well written women!
Dragonfall has good writing and characters, yes.
If you can filter out all the propaganda about the pay gap, discrimination of women in the workplace and rape culture, Eiger is actually a pretty well written character. In fact, I agree with Kit Walker - I think characterisation wasn't too bad in Dragonfall. Though, obviously, you have to play the next game in the series to meet Harebrained's best character.

Codex Year of the Donut
Dragonfall has good writing and characters, yes.
If you can filter out all the propaganda about the pay gap, discrimination of women in the workplace and rape culture, Eiger is actually a pretty well written character. In fact, I agree with Kit Walker - I think characterisation wasn't too bad in Dragonfall. Though, obviously, you have to play the next game in the series to meet Harebrained's best character.
(He's referring to Duncan)

Parabalus

Arcane

In essence you're saying that the best that can be done is to divide into two piles, everything shit and "good" , with no comparison intra or inter-pile.

It's a step forward simplification, but the base problem (my questions above) remains, how to classify what is shit and what's not?
Can classification criteria perhaps be lifted from books' (what would that be?) , or (I'd say) is it too tied to gameplay for that to be viable approach?

I agree with you about the scrutiny, it's why I find these writing level discussions so funny.

I'd say it's hard to pinpoint and articulate exactly why even just you personally found something good (it just clicks), and how it holds up vs others (easier/doable with a bigger divide, shit/good, like you said) for yourself, but to compare fragments of an experience (writing level in games) across people's opinions seems insane/impossible, barring the easy extremes.

Last edited:

AwesomeButton

Patron
In essence you're saying that the best that can be done is to divide into two piles, everything shit and "good" , with no comparison intra or inter-pile.
I think so. You could make as many piles as you like, but I don't see a point in that. There is no Tolstoy of game writing, and I believe the right conditions for him to emerge are far in the future. The quality of 90+ percent of game writing converges on "not worth a serious analysis", so if the writers are not bothering to do quality why should a critic bother to analyze it as if the writer was actually trying?

norolim

Arcane
Yeah, Duncan is bad.

BTW, I'll never find time to dig through all the 150 pages you bros generated since I last checked this thread, so could someone please summarise some of the reactions to PoE2? I followed until about page 50 and the initial reactions were that the game is better than PoE but the combat is hilariously easy. Does it still stand?

Sentinel

Arcane
Yeah, Duncan is bad.

BTW, I'll never find time to dig through all the 150 pages you bros generated since I last checked this thread, so could someone please summarise some of the reactions? I followed until about page 50 and the initial reactions were that the game is better than PoE but the combat is hilariously easy. Does it still stand?
- Writing worse
- gameplay better
- game is ridiculously easy
that's the gist of it

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Are you telling me her story had to involve so much angst? That she had to be a victim of domestic, sexual abuse AND demonic possession?

Victims of domestic abuse can and do get themselves into situations where other abuse is enabled. At the top of my head, Justine by the marquis de Sade (yes, I have read all his works, it's me we are talking about) follows a virtuous young woman who constantly gets sexually and physically abused by everyone around her and the moral of the story is that her goodness and innocence is what allows the abuse to happen. Does that make her a tryhardy Bioware tier character? I also don't remember Glory being sexually abused, I think she willingly gave herself to her girlfriend and then the leader of the cult, she wasn't forced into it, even if coercion and an unhealthy mental state were involved. Demonic possession is stupid, yes, it continues her cycle of abuse and robs her of agency and influence.

Shadenuat

Arcane
Anyone searching for Breach spell from BG in this game, that be Ranger's Tranquilizer. And it costs 1 power point.

Parabalus

Arcane
Anyone searching for Breach spell from BG in this game, that be Ranger's Tranquilizer. And it costs 1 power point.

There's also the lvl 9 wizard spell which is an AoE strip and an AoE strip (both no to hit roll) on the 1st/2nd best/coolest war bow. Might be even a few more which I didn't find.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
still harder than poe1 tho
Hey Darth Roxor, what's your take on the game? PM me if you're writing a Codex Review and don't want to prematurely reveal that in your opinion PoE2 is shit.

its ok/10

but i recommend waiting for the revio anyway tho mostly because around the time it will have been done some patches should be out too and the gaem kinda needs them

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom