Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dragon Quest VS Final Fantasy Poll

Which Series is better ? and why ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Smegmalicious

Barely Literate
The only DQ I played was 8 and it was so grindy and boring that I just stopped playing games entirely for like a year.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
DQ4 vs FF4 is, legitimately, the most difficult decision in history. Both are amazing. Both gave me memories I still cherish.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
wtf I didn't know FF 4: The After Years had gotten a 3D remake. I played through the first chapter way back in 2008-2009 on the Wii and it was passable. Didn't even know the eps had been assembled into a single game and remade in the FF4 3D engine.

mqdefault.jpg
mqdefault.jpg
final-fantasy-4-the-after-years-pc-screenshot-www.gamesave.us-5-2.jpg
latest
latest

victim

Arbiter
Possibly Retarded Vatnik
The worst DQ better is better than the best FF game.

Only good FF games are FF1, FF6, and FFT.

I broadly agree. I haven't even played any of the "modern" FF games and NES FF1 is the only one I am fondly reminiscent of (the remakes lose something I think, although I generally remember FF:Origins being nice). I was intrigued by the job system in 3 and 5 and enjoyed 4 Heroes of Light (precursor to the Bravely Default games which I am lukewarm on strangely).

I will certainly concede that FF7 was a game changer, although it didn't do much for me personally. The same is true for FFT, but that is probably because I grew up on Shining Force and, later, Fire Emblem games.

victim

Arbiter
Possibly Retarded Vatnik
wtf I didn't know FF 4: The After Years had gotten a 3D remake. I played through the first chapter way back in 2008-2009 on the Wii and it was passable. Didn't even know the eps had been assembled into a single game and remade in the FF4 3D engine.

mqdefault.jpg
mqdefault.jpg
final-fantasy-4-the-after-years-pc-screenshot-www.gamesave.us-5-2.jpg
latest
latest

was that the shit you originally had to play on mobile and pay by the chapter?

victim

Arbiter
Possibly Retarded Vatnik
I see alot of people recommend DQ4 on Nes,DS or Android,DQ5 on Snes and DQ8 on Ps2 for new players.I playing 3 on Snes and the game is not a grindfest that people say.

I think the GBC version of DQ3 is pretty awesome because it has the monster medals and some other extras

victim

Arbiter
Possibly Retarded Vatnik
DQ 5 is probably the best combination of DQ's vignette-style story-telling and the series take on character class systems. I also recommend playing the PS2 version, however the SNES version is just fine (and was the version of DQ5 I first played).

DQ 3 is the purest form of the series gameplay and a lot of people's favorite, and for that one I recommend playing the SNES fan-translated version. The only DQ games that are grind-heavy are the first two, btw. I don't think there's a bad game in the entire series, tbh. Frankly you could play any DQ game, with the exception of the first games, and have a very good experience as a first-timer...

EDIT: I personally liked DQ 9 (Nintendo DS) title quite a bit, and while it's not as good as previous entries it is definitely very newcomer-friendly. It has some very charming vignettes in it that are very "traditionally DQ".

The thing about DQ9 -- and its up there with 3 and 4 as my personal favorites -- is that after you clear the maingame it becomes a sandbox and that stays fun for a good while

Alex

Arcane
I haven't played that many Dragon Quest games, but my impression is that FF5 is the best game mentioned in this thread.

victim

Arbiter
Possibly Retarded Vatnik
Voted for Dragon Quest overall since i highly prefer the classic turnbased system and DQ stayed more true to that style.

FF had some entries that revolutionized story presentation and they had fun combat systems, but most entries lacked challenge and i always thought their plotlines were a little "style over substance". I still dont get what FF6 is trying to say apart from the usual "good beats evil, friendship is important, love is eternal" melodrama bullshit.

I also dont like ATB nearly as much as turnbased combat.

I am currently near the end of my first FF1 playthrough (on PS1, normal difficulty) and i have to say i have had more fun with this one than with any other FF so far, mostly because it actually provides challenging ressource management and much larger and mazelike dungeons. The only real fault this game has is the way too high encounter rate, i would have preferred fewer but more demanding random encounters.

I'm also playing DQ8 on the 3DS and i still dont know if i like the new approach to encounter design. I guess its cool that you see roaming monsters now and you can avoid them, but they have such a narrow aggrorange that you can avoid way too many fights now and going through a dungeon does not really drain your ressources nearly enough. Otherwise, the became quite fun after a superlong introduction phase.

Right, I should mention that I've never taken to ATB either. I wouldn't automatically call it a dealbreaker philosophically but in practice it often proves to be.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
I never did the post-game of DQ9 cos after beating the final story boss I conveniently lost my save-states during a reformat, along with my almost completed playthrough (was on third to last floor) of The Dark Spire.

:despair:

Nowadays I keep emulator folders on an external. It actually ends up working fine for modern emulators like Cemu and RPCS3 because emulators don't actually utilize your HDD for disk access during loading! Whatever type of storage they're reading from the actual emulated game loading times are the same. (I didn't know this).

victim

Arbiter
Possibly Retarded Vatnik
I never did the post-game of DQ9 cos after beating the final story boss I conveniently lost my save-states during a reformat, along with my almost completed playthrough (was on third to last floor) of The Dark Spire.

Nowadays I keep emulator folders on an external. It actually ends up working fine for modern emulators like Cemu and RPCS3 because emulators don't actually utilize your HDD for disk access! Whatever type of storage they're reading from the actual emulated game loading times are the same. (I didn't know this).

Third to last floor is not "almost completed" for Dark Spire I don't think. Although once literally every party member starts throwing around Nuke (whatever the name of the kill spell is, that game is like 10 years old now) it does kind of fast track.

I remember going to a Best Buy event and trading maps with people for DQ9. I was the joker who already had a max level party after 150 hours and was grinding post game dungeons. Eventually I used a game genie device because you had literally had to beat each hidden boss 99 times and the only challenge for me was to fight them at 99 (WAY too much grinding).

victim

Arbiter
Possibly Retarded Vatnik

Nowadays I keep emulator folders on an external. It actually ends up working fine for modern emulators like Cemu and RPCS3 because emulators don't actually utilize your HDD for disk access during loading! Whatever type of storage they're reading from the actual emulated game loading times are the same. (I didn't know this).

I normally lose save states by hitting "Quick Load" when I meant "Quick Save". Which wouldn't/shouldn't hurt much except I rarely remember to make hard saves..:(

Jacob

Pronouns: Nick/Her
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Despite mostly voting on DQs as the better games on each comparison I am still tempted to vote FF as the overall better series. As a whole franchise I think the one who is always trying to innovate* is the one who is better and more influential in the long run. Also the more "epic" DQs are intimidating to get into, especially DQ 5 and 7.

*When I say "trying to innovate" of course I didn't mean the gay crap that is FF XV

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom