Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pre-DLC Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

Seethe

Arbiter
Deadfire will continue selling for years and years, that much is certain.

But just because because RPGs have long tails, doesn't mean the profit from RPGs has long tails. Bulk of profit is still made in the first month of sales when the game is out at full price. The first game already made it to Humble Bundle at $12 tier and Humble Monthly. And while that moves a lot of units, probably like 5 bucks actually makes it to Obsidian wallet.

Deadfire is already falling like space debris on steam page, almost on spot 30, you know it's a problem when Truck Simulator 2013 is outpacing your lame ass :lol:. People need to open their eyes, the game is a dud and I doubt it will even reach 500k.

Not a good comparison, as Euro Truck Simulator is a fantastic game. Nothing to mock there.

FreeKaner

Prophet of the Dumpsterfire
I think not making PoE3 and going full Paradox on PoE2 with its format might even be the better business decision at this point, milk those who already bought the game for price of another full game over about a year and a half. 5-6 content dlcs with some free stuff thrown in-between.

2house2fly

Magister
Also, I forgot to add the most important bit in my "what I'd do if I were them" - what is the chance the players who didn't complete even act 2 will return for a mid-game expansion? It's clear they aren't the target audience for the game and it's much more likely that people who completed the game would return and wouldn't have to make a new character to play the expansion. Why were they trying to cater to players who dropped the game halfway through, it doesn't make sense.
There are other advantages to setting it during the main game. For one, they don't have to choose between ignoring the consequences of the main quest or designing around them. They can also integrate the main game and expansion more closely

2house2fly

Magister
Player retention was nonexistent from the start, it didn't drop over time, that's the problem. Only 43% completing act 1 is weird, 20% completing act 2 is damning and a clear indicator that something is up.
I'm going to need to check the steam graphs for confirmation of this. As I recall it had something like 40,000 people playing it its first weekend. Presumably by the next weekend the graph dropped to the current player count of about a thousand since, as you say, player retention was non-existent from the start

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
They ignored the consequences and the integration with the main game either way. TWM, for all intents and purposes, is a completely different adventure. Not to mention that consequences and integration is an artistic perspective, not a business one. Really, though, does anyone expect any sort of meaningful consequences now? It's a moot point.

I'm going to need to check the steam graphs for confirmation of this. As I recall it had something like 40,000 people playing it its first weekend. Presumably by the next weekend the graph dropped to the current player count of about a thousand since, as you say, player retention was non-existent from the start

It's not about how many people played on first weekend and then dropped, it's about how many players the game can keep over its gameplay length. Here are the Steam achievements. The concurrent players could've been others, it's not clear if they're the same people. It's also irrelevant, since TWM came out months after the release.

FreeKaner

Is there speculations of this same stuff in SA forums too, it feels like after first week this thread degenerated into gay sex and sales figures talk.

jdinatale

Cipher
Just started playing. Anyone else finding the writing to be hilariously pretentious and try hard? "The horny dwarf wiped his rictis off his visage." Who talks like that, even in fantasy?

Lacrymas

Arcane
Eh, I wouldn't say it's about sales figures, it's about why PoE1 couldn't retain the majority of its players in act 1, and the vast majority of them by the end of act 2. And whether that has any connection to Deadfire's abysmal sales, which I think it has, obviously. It's much more interesting than the bajillionth mention of the bisexual companions and the bug reports.

2house2fly

Magister
The number of concurrent players is a good indicator of a game's ability to keep people interested over time. This damn forum was glued to them Deadfire's first weekend and mockingly compared it to Divinity. It's worth mentioning that a number of achievements were bugged the first few weeks or months and didn't always register- I fired up an endgame save months later and got a ton of achievements out of nowhere because I'd fulfilled the prerequisites at the time but the game didn't register. I don't know if that would have significantly affected critical path achievements, but it does suggest to me that steam achievements aren't necessarily gospel in this case

Lacrymas

Arcane
It isn't a good indicator in this particular context because they could be different people, and we aren't trying to find out the general interest in the game itself, but why the majority of people dropped the game without finishing act 1. The Steam and GOG achievements are the only indicator for completion rates we have, so that's the only thing we can use. The low sales and players of PoE2 kind of confirm the lack of interest either way, even if the achievements are a few % off.

FreeKaner

Just started playing. Anyone else finding the writing to be hilariously pretentious and try hard? "The horny dwarf wiped his rictis off his visage." Who talks like that, even in fantasy?

Yes, the purple prose is really bad. It's really questionable too since with same set of writers they actually got this right in tyranny. Tyranny has absolutely no prose and whenever there is descriptive text in dialogue it adds to the interaction.

Orma

Arcane
Patron
Torment: Tides of Numenera
Fought vampire crypt (one where you get secrety secret sword) lvl 14-15 or something, they're level 17

- Potion of clear mind -- they seem to override it

- Scroll of spirit -- they seem to override it, you need to recast it after every gaze lol

- Blindness -- 2.00016% chance to hit cause spellcaster accuracy in this game is shit

oh and they're bugged, they autoapply gaze against ranged attacks or something. Maybe.

Just eat captain's banquet nibba, unless you let your sailors devour it already.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Anyhoo, so what are the most batshit overpowered class combinations so far?

My top pick is Paladin+Chanter. Just go full tank passive aura-bot, and with good build you can literally be the main HP sponge, main healer and main support. And not only you will perform in all these roles very well, you will do it literally without pressing a button entire game.

Healing shield from Fassima's shop+Paladin's defensive aura+two chanter healing auras and absorbing shield aura. Then just put the guy in full plate and he will automatically keep the party alive forever while tanking most of the damage. And mobs cannot do a fucking thing about it, unless if you attack something that will one shot you.

It's absolutely broken.

Mr. Hiver

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Some fabulous writing examples...
fdOewrx.jpg
[/IMG]

fdOewrx.jpg
This is after i solved her husband fate quest, found the money they needed to travel somewhere else to avoid starving. I tried giving money to her since they are destitude now, with three kids and some orphans starving... and she doesnt want it. And i can still crap on her about how her husband was "connected to criminals" which for some reason distresses her a lot.
She also doesn't leave after i arrange for her and kids to leave on a boat. Still there... with kids starving.

gzDSZPf.jpg

6HieH2i.jpg

ptSemMj.jpg
Budding... ugh.. romance.
Also, Eder says he cannot like anyone "religious" anymore...so he rejects Xoti attempts to... get closer, but his character sheet says he supports all who believe in Eothas.
INc0Obe.jpg

QyasHHE.jpg
Eyelids... flaring ... with relieved embarrassment. For fuck sake.
Anyone knows how to do that? Anyone ever seen a human doing that?

6w6gXn8.jpg
... unmaried? How the fuck... ok, just, moving on...

bh6CCA7.jpg
Noticing light sheens on upper lips cliche facepalm.

YpZlguC.jpg
Opening retard dialogue option. Hi! im a moron too! Wheee!

MHuWDDQ.jpg
You cant.. fucking... jiggle the loose flesh on the neck by nodding up and down!

zNqsdRT.jpg
Nostrils flaring... to hush the room... (he also hates the foreign trading companies and foreginers but thinks its awesome gods sent a stranger to mess with their plans... because...)
:retarded:

kdiJ01e.jpg
The dialogue mini game of trying to decide which answer is less stupid.

eNrFehv.jpg
How in the fucking fuck does anyone starve while being surrounded by a fucking sea!?
What? You dont know how to catch fish!?
:argh:

1JznELJ.jpg
This well after ive heard about Eothas stomping a whole base on Hasonga from that very NPC!
xPM0Ci4.jpg
And how in the hell would i know such a thing anyway?

cf7xX68.jpg
We just met but, Cmon You know exactly what i mean... wink, wink, nudge, nudge, eh, eh?
also, the eyes are attentive and utterly expressionless...
:x

yLnaPCg.jpg
3! 3! 3!!!!

8yABllN.jpg
So famous every single fucking npc i see for the first time knows who i am, what i did or didnt and what happened.
:argh:

xv8TPBH.jpg
Faint ripples... like a forest of kelp...
GQA7Mpi.jpg
and tired swaying of chandeliers... because chandeliers are tired... of swaying...
:rage:

These are not singled out rare examples. This is how the whole game is written.
It just never stops.

Shadenuat

Arcane
Just eat captain's banquet nibba, unless you let your sailors devour it already.
dun remember finding more than 2 lobsters in game

And yes food is better than any spell scroll or pot in game. tim cain finally did it, with his goddamn love for chocolates

Codex Year of the Donut
The only real question: Galleon or Junk?

Just buy a Dhow and use the 30k you saved on Devil's breastplate

Just don't buy anything. The only ship items you need to buy are 4 imperial cannons for the starter ship, and that is easily good enough to blow apart 90% of pirates, excluding Feargus and 1-2 toughest galleons.
by the time I had enough to buy a Junk I already sank all the pirate ships
this game is a disappointment in nearly every way sans the narrator's voice

LizardWizard

Cipher
Just don't buy anything. The only ship items you need to buy are 4 imperial cannons for the starter ship, and that is easily good enough to blow apart 90% of pirates, excluding Feargus and 1-2 toughest galleons.

Starter ship doesn't have a boatswain, which is used in a few scripted interactions. Dhow is the sweet spot in terms of cost for a quick and early upgrade.

ScrotumBroth

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
by the time I had enough to buy a Junk I already sank all the pirate ships

That's a load of rubbish. I bought my first galleon before even finishing all initial bounties from every faction + some random slavers who attacked me. And I wasn't even jewing my wallet, bought a few skill trainings for 3k a pop etc.

Did you do any boarding? I'm not entirely sure, but have impression you get more loot from it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom