Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pre-DLC Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Where is the evidence that DLC sells better 3 months after release in the niche market?

I don't get why the other solution you have in mind is for them to take longer making a bigger DLC that will sell even less

My solution is them making a better game that will foster a fanbase that will buy the DLCs, not taking longer to make the DLC.

dragonul09

Arcane
Edgy
Sure there's something specific, people want to play Truck Simulator and people don't want to play Deadfire, it doesnt take a genius to realise that:lol:. Also, Truck Simulator always had a big playerbase, it rarely falls below 25k.
Do you use some kind of help for crossing the street, or finding the right toilet? It's obvious there is a sudden jump that started last sunday, at the time of Deadfire's peak.

Also, this game has existed for how long, I guess since 2013? It has been accumulating players for five years, and you are comparing a minor, relative to total number of owners, jump in concurrent players to the concurrent players of a game which has been accumulating owners since last week? You must be a special level of dumb.

I'm not talking about accumulation you idiot, I'm talking about a game that was released in 2013 outpacing a promising sequel that was released 2 just two weeks ago. Look at Larians D:OS 2, it always stood in top steam page for almost a year and PoE 2 in just two weeks is falling behind games that were released eons ago. The game failed since it's first pre-release week when it couldn't even stay in top 3 for more than a day, the game will have the same fate as Tyranny, dead in months.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Nobody has said Deadfire is a game that can foster a sizable fanbase, don't assume things. It may even turn out that the damage is already done by PoE1.

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
Infinitron Does PoE2 have a codex-esque insert?

Also does this game have a mega dungeon or did they scrap that as a stupid idea.
I think I found it.
Imp pet named Grog in Ashen Maw that makes the party immune to engagement. Also, companions permanently die if knocked down.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
That's not the only Codex backer content.

The game has a "mega-island chain", although it looks like they implemented it as an organic part of the game world so it doesn't really stand out as a distinct thing.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

The game has a "mega-island chain", although it looks like they implemented it as an organic part of the game world so it doesn't really stand out as a distinct thing.
What is it? The imp book collection quest?

2house2fly

Magister
Nobody has said Deadfire is a game that can foster a sizable fanbase, don't assume things. It may even turn out that the damage is already done by PoE1.
What damage? High review scores? High user scores? High sales? What prevented the game from fostering a fanbase?

Morkar Left

mega-island chain? What does it have to do with the codex?

Lacrymas

Arcane
What damage? High review scores? High user scores? High sales? What prevented the game from fostering a fanbase?

It not being good. As you can see, those high review and user scores and high sales didn't foster a fanbase that want to buy TWM or the sequel. Don't assume people are like automatons that will follow market trends and conform to research in a completely different sphere of this industry. Sure, the low sales of TWM might be because of "saturation" or "people moving on", but the sequel is another thing entirely. Why 1 has high review scores, but low fan retention is a good question to ask. We know people buy by impulse, so the high sales can easily be explained like that.

Lacrymas

Arcane
FWIW, Feargus said in an interview he thinks sales would have been better had they sold WM as DLC instead of large expansion packs.

And his thinking is worth little. What evidence does he have of this? I assume we don't know, I also assume he doesn't know either.

Morkar Left

It not being good. As you can see, those high review and user scores and high sales didn't foster a fanbase that want to buy TWM or the sequel. Don't assume people are like automatons that will follow market trends and conform to research in a completely different sphere of this industry. Sure, the low sales of TWM might be because of "saturation" or "people moving on", but the sequel is another thing entirely. Why 1 has high review scores, but low fan retention is a good question to ask. We know people buy by impulse, so the high sales can easily be explained like that.

The first one had a lot of weaknesses which got only (partially) fixed after a long time. Though most people didn't finish the first one and before jumping to the sequel they want to play the definitive edition of PoE 1 first. Which might probably never happen. Another reason is that the long patching marathon (and improvements from the the add-on) taught players to wait with PoE 2 till the definitve edition is there (with a good discount as well). The third reason might be that soy boys are waiting for the console release.

Personally I try to finish an old restarted playthrough of PoE1 before moving on to the second (besides already bought) to finally complete the game (I lost interested after Act 2 because of bad design and retarded easy combat).

dragonul09

Arcane
Edgy
Where is the evidence that DLC sells better 3 months after release in the niche market?

FWIW, Feargus said in an interview he thinks sales would have been better had they sold WM as DLC instead of large expansion packs.

Damn, Avellone was right about Feargus, he's such a delusional moron. Do these idiots understand that their games were kickstarted and they don't have the same leisure as the big boys to pull of dirty moves like DLC's? Could you imagine the back lash from the backers when you start churning out small pieces of the game month after month?

Holy shit Feargus is a retard.

Self-Ejected

MajorMace

Self-Ejected
Patron
what does that even mean, to sell wm as dlc instead of large expansion pack ?
i thought it was precisely what they did by cutting it in half to begin with

Last edited:

Morkar Left

And his thinking is worth little. What evidence does he have of this? I assume we don't know, I also assume he doesn't know either.

He should have done one big add-on which continues the story after the main quest. People who already finished the game could have picked it up from there instead of replaying large parts of the game again. Maybe by putting the players stronghold into focus to finally flesh it out (politics, invasion of the country, expedition to the source of the invasion -> undeads of course).

Lacrymas

Arcane
The first one had a lot of weaknesses which got only (partially) fixed after a long time. Though most people didn't finish the first one and before jumping to the sequel they want to play the definitive edition of PoE 1 first. Which might probably never happen. Another reason is that the long patching marathon (and improvements from the the add-on) taught players to wait with PoE 2 till the definitve edition is there (with a good discount as well). The third reason might be that soy boys are waiting for the console release.

Personally I try to finish an old restarted playthrough of PoE1 before moving on to the second (besides already bought) to finally complete the game (I lost interested after Act 2 because of bad design and retarded easy combat).

The weaknesses the Codex can see are not the same ones as a more general public can. Let's not forget that 50ish% of people didn't finish act 1, which is 5ish hours of content, so there's definitely something up before we start talking about gameplay, story and all that jazz. I think Obsidian overextended and overestimated their reach by just looking at the sales, rather than achievement statistics, of the first game. The other 50% who did finish act 1 didn't buy TWM and the sequel en masse, so there's something up with that as well. It doesn't help that Feargus is a retard with no context sensitivity.

Fallout 4 reportedly outsold New Vegas and Fallout 3. Millions of gamers can't be wrong!

This is exactly why I am saying that the different markets are different and is not relevant.

Last edited:

Lhynn

Arcane
Apparently, even the negotiations for BG2 were pretty... strained, but BioWare was in a position to negotiate better terms
I thought BG2 development started before BG1s launch. If it was that early why did they give the go ahead considering they were sick of eachother.

Morkar Left

Lacrymas People had bugs and stopped playing but never came back after. But yeah, they probably overstretched by promising too much (we've BG1,2 / IWD / Torment and mooaar in one game!).
Divinity is prove that it isn't restricted to the genre. But yeah Divinity had the advantage by catering to anime/wow/casual gamer/indie people alongside hardcore rpg gamers and storyfags with its artistic style.

Lacrymas

Arcane
I meant they overstretched and overestimated their fanbase with the sequel, especially the stupid, stupid decision to fully voice the game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom