Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pre-DLC Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

FreeKaner

Prophet of the Dumpsterfire
Lurker King is annoying as fuck. Yes, PoE is no AoD when it comes to reactivity, barely any game is AoD. I played AoD more than PoE1 too, yet his crusade is worse than the IE nostalgiafaggotry.

Iskramor

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Modders hard at work fixing the game.

oj9LQGA.png

Last edited by a moderator:

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
There's probably also the novelty effect. Romances weren't A Thing back then.

That's the main reason I'd say. Romances can only work when you don't expect them.

Like, Roxxor knew about the gay content, but he certainly didn't expect that a 100-year old, gray-haired faggot would suddenly burst into captain quarters and just take off his pants without warning. So it was a bit of a #metoo moment but at least it gets the emotional reaction.

When you announce that yes, game has romances, and yes, these companions are romanceable, you could have Tolstoy write the romance and it would still suck.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Should I produce the type of thing they say they love most, or the type of thing they are most likely to buy, even though they don't love it that much? If you are the manufacturer, it's obvious what how you should react to this data.

The issue is that good games don't have an expiration date. People will play them even if you release expansions for them 20 years after the fact. While not really analogous due to the enhanced editions, case in point - Siege of Dragonspear. People buying the EEs for the IE games is also a good example. Steamspy lists owners for BG1:EE at around 500k to 1M, PoE2 is listed at around 50k - 100k, so Obsidian wishes they had the EEs sale numbers atm. A fraction of the people who own PoE1 played TWM because PoE1 is a boring and messy game that few can enjoy, and that's with a loooooooot of compromises. Before anyone says anything, I can and did enjoy it in those very specific circumstances, the thought of replaying it, however, makes me lose my erection, in every situation.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
The issue is that good games don't have an expiration date. People will play them even if you release expansions for them 20 years after the fact.
I'll just quote what mustawd said because he said it best:
We all know long-term sales for massive RPGs like this are what really matter

Actually, that's not true. Do crpgs have long sale tails? Sure. But Obsidian needs money to operate NOW. Not 10-15 years down the road.

Also, from an investor's point of view, there is a concept called the time value of money as well as risk adjusted return. Which basically asks the question "Sure you made money but could you have used it better elsewhere and was it worth it base don the risk you took?" Telling an investor "no worries, just wait 10-15 years and this thing will eventually sell a ton!" doesn't really help.

Lacrymas

Arcane
If Obsidian desperately need money 2 months after a new release, i.e. when the first DLC hits, then they have bigger problems tbh. I am saying that releasing an expansion will be met with praise and sales if the base game is good, it doesn't matter when they release it. And telling the investors to wait 10 years isn't on the table at all, I don't think the investors are really relevant to this discussion.

Shadenuat

Arcane
sometimes bugs are useful, for style

ederpimp.jpg

fighter/rogue eder dual wielding 2 duskfalls (one gift, one from dead gifter), cuirass +deflection per Intimidate & hat + crits from Swords.

le man himself soloer of dragons and concelhaults

Lacrymas

Arcane
I don't think the investors are really relevant to this discussion

How can you not? If Obsidian continues to want to use Fig, having sluggish sales can hurt that endeavor.

And telling the investors to wait 10 years isn't on the table at all

It's not. But neither is saying that release week/month doesn't matter.

Having sluggish sales of the base game doesn't really matter to the DLCs in this context, though, that's an entirely different issue. I think they are trying to transpose the AAA model and economic research to their AA efforts and that's why it's not working. Yes, release window of DLC matters for AAA garbage because almost all of them are popcorn games that you play once and then forget about, but not for semi-niche games with established fanbases that will buy everything you make if it's good enough. People didn't buy TWM not because it was released late, but because very few people actually liked the base game, and now that's translated to poor sales of Deadfire. Niche markets work differently than the AAA model is what I'm trying to say.

Last edited:

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Deadfire will continue selling for years and years, that much is certain.

But just because because RPGs have long tails, doesn't mean the profit from RPGs has long tails. Bulk of profit is still made in the first month of sales when the game is out at full price. The first game already made it to Humble Bundle at $12 tier and Humble Monthly. And while that moves a lot of units, probably like 5 bucks actually makes it to Obsidian wallet.

dragonul09

Arcane
Edgy

But just because because RPGs have long tails, doesn't mean the profit from RPGs has long tails. Bulk of profit is still made in the first month of sales when the game is out at full price. The first game already made it to Humble Bundle at $12 tier and Humble Monthly. And while that moves a lot of units, probably like 5 bucks actually makes it to Obsidian wallet.

Deadfire is already falling like space debris on steam page, almost on spot 30, you know it's a problem when Truck Simulator 2013 is outpacing your lame ass :lol:. People need to open their eyes, the game is a dud and I doubt it will even reach 500k.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

Deadfire is already falling like space debris on steam page, almost on spot 30, you know it's a problem when Truck Simulator 2013 is outpacing your lame ass :lol:. People need to open their eyes, the game is a dud and I doubt it will even reach 500k.
I rarely agree with you mate,but here we are on the same page...almost. I personally doubt that it will even reach 200,000 let alone 500,000 :lol:. Also truck sim is a better game.
415.png

A lot of PoE fans have decided to play Truck sim to relax after deadfires retarded writing.

AwesomeButton

Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Having sluggish sales of the base game doesn't really matter to the DLCs in this context, though, that's an entirely different issue.
Sure it matters, the DLC requires the game :)

semi-niche games with established fanbases that will buy everything you make if it's good enough.
The survey shows the opposite, for one thing. For another, Feargus is shooting beyond his established fanbase, which itself is also prone to skipping DLCs if they are released too long after the base game.

People didn't buy TWM not because it was released late, but because very few people actually liked the base game
Even if we take this to be indisputable fact, which it really isn't, the sooner after the base game you release the DLC, the fewer of the original buyers will have reached a point of saturation, where they say "I've had enough of this particular form of entertainment".

You may be right that few people bought TWM because few people liked PoE, but I'd phrase it differently - those who really, actually, liked PoE, they bought TWM, and that's how many there were at that point in time. By postponing the DLC you are trying the audience - do you like our game enough to buy the DLC three months later? Six months? A year?

The ideal situation for everyone would be - release a big DLC with new content and updated game mechanics soon after the original game. The problem is that the only way for this to happen in a real world situation is if the game developer does exactly the most immoral thing, of which developers are accused often - if the developer cuts out parts of the base game and sells them soon after release as addons. And actually this is the reaction you can see most often to big DLC which are released soon after the base game.

Had this been a game with a different and larger player base, it would have been a nice scheme for Obsidian to start making sidekicks into companions and release them as DLCs one by one. This Paradox-style milking would hook a lot of players. But with the game's current player base, I wonder if an attempt at that will prove profitable. I suppose they'll try it with Ydwin. At least Josh didn't deny it, just pointedly mentioned "they are aware lots of people want her as a companion".

Last edited:

Shadenuat

Arcane
That's a retarded comparison, the amount of tired german honest work men who are tired from their work driving trucks and just want to come home and drive some comfy trucks on their PC should be millions compared to niche cast of RPG players.

Should compare it to other RPGs which are not Skyrim.

Also to how BG2 faired compared to BG1 maybe, or NWN1/2 expansions > NWN.

I don't think it will be Obsidian's BG2 though.

AwesomeButton

Patron
I rarely agree with you mate,but here we are on the same page...almost. I personally doubt that it will even reach 200,000 let alone 500,000 :lol:. Also truck sim is a better game.
415.png

A lot of PoE fans have decided to play Truck sim to relax after deadfires retarded writing.
Well, I doubt anyone expected it to go higher than its first weekend concurrent players. No need to inform us for every new lower spot it goes to.

It's obvious there is some specific factor for Truck Sim's sudden jump. Dragonul is full of shit as usual, can't even find a proper base of comparison.

dragonul09

Arcane
Edgy
415.png

Well, I doubt anyone expected it to go higher than its first weekend concurrent players.

It's obvious something there is some specific factor for Truck Sim's sudden jump. Dragonul is full of shit as usual, can't even find a proper base of comparison.

Sure there's something specific, people want to play Truck Simulator and people don't want to play Deadfire, it doesnt take a genius to realise that:lol:. Also, Truck Simulator always had a big playerbase, it rarely falls below 25k.

AwesomeButton

Patron
Sure there's something specific, people want to play Truck Simulator and people don't want to play Deadfire, it doesnt take a genius to realise that:lol:. Also, Truck Simulator always had a big playerbase, it rarely falls below 25k.
Do you use some kind of help for crossing the street, or finding the right toilet? It's obvious there is a sudden jump that started last sunday, at the time of Deadfire's peak.

Also, this game has existed for how long, I guess since 2013? It has been accumulating players for five years, and you are comparing a minor, relative to total number of owners, jump in concurrent players to the concurrent players of a game which has been accumulating owners since last week? You must be a special level of dumb.

Lacrymas

Arcane
AwesomeButton, however you try to rationalize it, it's obvious PoE2 is not selling well and the DLCs won't sell as well, so there's definitely something wrong with the logic you are presenting as the one they are using. Which means another solution should be sought. And that solution is not trying to transpose AAA market research to a niche market.

AwesomeButton

Patron
AwesomeButton, however you try to rationalize it, it's obvious PoE2 is not selling well and the DLCs won't sell as well, so there's definitely something wrong with the logic you are presenting as the one they are using.
You are correct - it's not selling well, I suppose it's not meeting Obsidian's expectations. Ergo, the DLC will sell even less. But from these two it doesn't follow that there is anything wrong with the rationale behind releasing the first expansion DLC three months after the base game.

2house2fly

Magister
AwesomeButton, however you try to rationalize it, it's obvious PoE2 is not selling well and the DLCs won't sell as well, so there's definitely something wrong with the logic you are presenting as the one they are using. Which means another solution should be sought. And that solution is not trying to transpose AAA market research to a niche market.
I don't get why the other solution you have in mind is for them to take longer making a bigger DLC that will sell even less

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom