Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Why the majority of the codex dont play the true classics?

Brancaleone

Liturgist
JA 1.13 modders seem to think that autofire and sneaking are what makes for tactical battles where in reality those only have limited utility.

DOSBOX can scale Darklands up to full screen size. My eyes are not the best either due to my blood pressure medication, but I can see it just fine (unlike the text at RPG Codex which is too small for me these days). If you still have trouble you need bigger monitor.
As I said, it's the low resolution that gives my eyes problems, and that stays the same if you set it to full-screen (which is how I play anything DOS-related anyway). I've also tried all DOSBOX's scalers, and usually they manage to make things marginally worse. It's just a shitty choice of font for that kind of resolution.

I don't know the options off the top of my head but there's different ways to scale up the text and some of the options make text fonts look much smoother and fatter. You can do a lot with dosbox to resolve issues like that, thankfully.
Do you read the posts you reply to at all? This is the second in a row, not bad.

I read it but you did something wrong obviously. If you can read this text you should be able to play DL. Scaling options don't necessarily do anything if you have resultion set to full or something like that. You probablu need to set resolution to 1024x768 manually and then maximize it yourself. You might get it to work with "double" too but it depends on the game itself.
Obviously.

Well, it was nice to talk to someone with such an incredibly deep understanding of the workings of DosBox.

Generic-Giant-Spider

16-bit Shadowrun from 90's is actually really good, plays smooth enough even today. Alot of 16-bit console games old like vine.

The Genesis Shadowrun helped make my day-to-day conversations much less complicated:

A) <Attack!>
B) Wait for more information.
C) Slot off, frag-face.

I usually go with C.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
And you thought those interfaces were shit even back then, did you?

Yeah, back then I didn't mind the interface. I also didn't mind if protagonist is a gallant knight on a quest to save a princess. Guess what, taste changes over time.

Also, how many years you think until these new awesome game that don't waste your time will become shit as well?

They won't, though. Stuff like very very old arcade classics is for example timeless and doesn't age at all. I can still play some oldschol platformer and have fun. I could still play Quake 1 and have fun. Similarly, newer RPG classics like Morrowind or IE games still find new audience, even though they are ancient by the gaming industry standard.

So a lot of games age gracefully, but RPGs rom roughly late 80s to mid 90s that usually don't.

ScrotumBroth

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
Perhaps the factor is that newer players don't know how to adjust to the older games. Older gamers built their habits and expectations in real time, so it felt natural.
And can easily slip into that frame of mind on demand, like riding a unicycle, whereas newbies try to brake with their dick, so it makes sense natural first reaction is negative.

Unwanted

Bladeract

It's Neckbeard Shitlord. Again.
Dumbfuck
Well, I don't really expect people to play games from ten years before they were born. It's not realistic and I am sure it kills the enjoyment in many cases to try and get into it out of context. If you didn't play a game IRL you often get a bad impression by trying to play it in DOSBOX or something because you don't know what it's supposed to be like, a lot of the people who do that end up making some painful comments about the games because of it.

Twizman

Scholar
I'm really interested in rpg history, so I've made an effort to try many of the classics. The best ones for me were by far Wizardry I, V and Dragon Warrior II/III. I enjoyed using the fairly simple ui, Pool of Radiance was a bit too clunky for me. Love the turn-based combat and challenge in the early Wizardries and Dragon Warriors!

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
Advent of Diablo and Fallout changed everything; RPGs hit their high-point in 1997-2003. Combo of API + super talent/visionaries.

• three best pure RPGs (Fallout, Fallout 2 & Arcanum)
• five best party-based RPGs (Baldur's Gate, BG2, Icewind Dale, IWD2, Wizardry 8)
• two best open world RPGs (Daggerfall & Morrowind)
• two best hack n slash games (Diablo & Diablo II)
• best toolset (Neverwinter Nights: Aurora)
• three best tactical turn-based games (Jagged Alliance 2, ToEE, Silent Storm)
• best story-based RPG (Planescape: Torment)
• four best action RPGs (Gothic, System Shock 2, Deus Ex, Severence)
• the greatest PC games of all-time (Deus Ex, Jagged Alliance 2)

No era comes close to the Renaissance era. We don't look back, we don't look forward. We settle right here.

Curratum

(Ultima IV-VII; Might and Magic 2; Wizardy 6/7; Wasteland; Darklands; Betrayal at Krondor; Realms of Arkania II; Pools of Darkness)

Because I made an honest effort and could not stomach the "true classic" game design. Have YOU actually sat your self-proclaimed newfag ass down and played more than a couple of hours of the early MnMs or Ultimas or Wizardries? How far did you get?

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
Finished all of them (except W4, my white whale, but I will one day)

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Advent of Diablo and Fallout changed everything; RPGs hit their high-point in 1997-2003.

The tactical combat of JA2 is overrated. It's not that much more advanced than JA1, weapon range is too important, and you fight a very limited cast of enemies.
(Open)Xcom has better combat, and so does older fantasy CRPGs like Disciples of Steel and Nahlakh.

No era comes close to the Renaissance era. We don't look back, we don't look forward. We settle right here.

Which gives you a limited experience with which to proclaim the best games ever.
I agree that the Renaissance era was the best period for PC games in general, though.

FeelTheRads

Arcane

Yeah, back then I didn't mind the interface. I also didn't mind if protagonist is a gallant knight on a quest to save a princess. Guess what, taste changes over time.

Since your posts makes it seem like it was a chore to play them back then too, my point was not if you minded the interfaces, but if you actually even realized they were bad back then or that happened when new games with better interfaces came about.

Because in that case, when all games will play in VR (well, assuming VR actually takes off) you'll look back wondering how the hell could you play those shit games with primitive UIs that you had to control with keyboards and mice, therefore you'd be better off not playing them at all. Just wait for the better games!

Last edited:

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Because taste is highly subjective, and some autists will claim only THEIR favourite game is the one true classic game that smashes the competition.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane

Since your posts makes it seem like it was a chore to play them back then too, my point was not if you minded the interfaces, but if you actually even realized they were bad back then or that happened when new games with better interfaces came about.

Because in that case, when all games will play in VR (well, assuming VR actually takes off) you'll look back wondering how the hell could you play those shit games with primitive UIs that you had to control with keyboards and mice, therefore you'd be better off not playing them at all. Just wait for the better games!

I can certainly see blobbers going the that way, dungeon crawler is basically a perfect genre for VR. Isometric games though, that cannot be done in VR so don't you worry. AR maybe. Baldur's Gate on your coffee table, Further Enhanced by Beamdong (tm). But that's decades away if ever.

If someone invents better controls, of course I'm gonna use them. But I doubt that will happen.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
The tactical combat of JA2 is overrated.

Edgy.

Which gives you a limited experience with which to proclaim the best games ever.

I have as much experience with gaming as any 'Dexer, and I can cite in-depth proof of what I've played (unlike you and most 'Dexers). If I can't cite DEx and JA2 to be GOAT, I expect, for consistency's sake, not to hear a squeak out of you and your kind.

Possibly Retarded The Real Fanboy
I played them when they were released, now sometimes with gog edition, or from abandonware sites.
Playing Ishar or EoB trilogy , Lands of Lore or Albion etc. makes me young again - and with gog in great quality plus lot of cool addons , not to mention im free from fucking with dosbox settings.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
I found out that even why I buy the GOG editions, I usually end up tinkering with the configs anyway or add the stuff that GOG can't include for copyright reasons

Possibly Retarded The Real Fanboy
Daggerfall was one of the first PC games I owned as a kid. I still play it from time to time and have no issues with the interface or controls, but the dungeons get a bit tedious. Not sure if it's considered a classic here or not.

Not just a classic. A true classic.

It was, together with Arena a true start of ultra long decline era for Bethesda , ending in releasing uttercrap Failout 4 and Craprim .

Bohr

Arcane
LOL. If by popamolist you mean someone who grew up in the 90s and played those classics back when they were relevant, sure pal...

Back in the 90s i was a teenager who owned a PSX and a PC. Having experienced stuff like Suikoden, Final Fantasy VII, and Vandal Hearts, back in 1997, i wanted to play RPGs on my PC as well, so i was starved for any RPG. I played most RPGs at the day of their release since then. I played and enjoyed all infinity engine games except Planescape torment (which i plan to play soon) for some odd reason, mainly because i couldn't find it anywhere to buy it in my country and i lost interest after a while.

:hmmm:

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Advent of Diablo and Fallout changed everything; RPGs hit their high-point in 1997-2003. Combo of API + super talent/visionaries.

• three best pure RPGs (Fallout, Fallout 2 & Arcanum)
• five best party-based RPGs (Baldur's Gate, BG2, Icewind Dale, IWD2, Wizardry 8)
• two best open world RPGs (Daggerfall & Morrowind)
• two best hack n slash games (Diablo & Diablo II)
• best toolset (Neverwinter Nights: Aurora)
• best story-based RPG (Planescape: Torment)
• four best action RPGs (Gothic, System Shock 2, Deus Ex, Severence)
• the greatest PC games of all-time (Deus Ex, Jagged Alliance 2)

:hmmm:
I am offended,you didn't add any MM game. Shame on you!

Elex

Arbiter
Because taste is highly subjective, and some autists will claim only THEIR favourite game is the one true classic game that smashes the competition.
one day skyrim and the witcher will be the true classics.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom