Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pre-DLC Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

Today I caught myself saying "ekera" out loud, I ran back home hopped on the shower and cried

I knew I shouldn't have started another playthrough with a spellblade

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
As Lacrymas says, I have no idea why people who found easy too hard

I think it was because there was no scaling per se in 1.0, and certain creatures were simply a bit harder to deal with than regular humanoid enemies. Are those teleporting spectres still there in the Temple of Eothas on easy?

That's one example anyway, in most cases you have to do *something* to beat them without a KO, other than just select all and left click.

My RL friends (who played on normal, IIRC) all noted the really spiky difficulty curve between encounters.

My first thought is that some of these people might be trying to click-click-click on enemies like in a Diablo game and are wondering why their characters aren't attacking more often. :P

I remember someone from high school returned Baldur's Gate 2 on the same day they bought it because they couldn't figure out how to attack anyone.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
I knew it!

Call Kotaku!!!!!!1

15.png

Oh, right. DLCs were announced before launch...

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
don't click again then :P
The thing is, I often have to click again either to change the target or because the fight got so clusterfucky I no longer know what's going on. Arquebus reloads are lengthy so I end up skipping most of them on accident.

It's not very fun to constantly worry about accidently giving yourself an unfair advantage.

Dude, the game is beatable on hardest difficulty with a level 10 party. So don't beat yourself up if you accidentally use a bug to make it easier, you're not winning because of bugs, you're winning because difficulty is fucked.

TT1

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
After level 7 I just used AI in combats, so I dont even know whats going on. I go to kitchen, got a beer and when I come back I just take the loot.

Just during the Fampyr battle I had do something.

This is how easy this game is.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
I knew it!

Call Kotaku!!!!!!1

15.png

Oh, right. DLCs were announced before launch...
Geee cutting the game in four parts is a little bit too much. Obsidian is becoming more greedy than EA. No wonder that the game have so many bugs,it is only natural when you rip out 3/4 of the game.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Well, it's not clear whether they cut the game up. The Fig campaign promised DLCs, so it was certainly known DLCs will come. The shitty part is they disregarded the DLC poll and, instead of making a huge expansion like they should, they are making 3 smallish ones that will inevitably be a bit unsatisfying and unsatiating.

Self-Ejected

MajorMace

Self-Ejected
Patron

I think it was because there was no scaling per se in 1.0, and certain creatures were simply a bit harder to deal with than regular humanoid enemies. Are those teleporting spectres still there in the Temple of Eothas on easy?

That's one example anyway, in most cases you have to do *something* to beat them without a KO, other than just select all and left click.

My RL friends (who played on normal, IIRC) all noted the really spiky difficulty curve between encounters.

My first thought is that some of these people might be trying to click-click-click on enemies like in a Diablo game and are wondering why their characters aren't attacking more often. :P

I remember someone from high school returned Baldur's Gate 2 on the same day they bought it because they couldn't figure out how to attack anyone.
You're probably right, yeah. I do remember that the first act was satisfying at release (and still is now). It's after that xp gains were too important, which - coupled with no ability/ai enemies - resulted in a snoozefest (xp has been fixed but the impression of rolling over everything remains, and I suspect it'll be there in dadfire even after the difficulty overhaul).
As for post-diablo trauma, I think Interplay marketed Icewind Dale as a diablo-like experience as well back then, didn't they ? That didn't help clear the misunderstanding.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth

You're probably right, yeah. I do remember that the first act was satisfying at release (and still is now). It's after that xp gains were too important, which - coupled with no ability/ai enemies - resulted in a snoozefest (xp has been fixed but the impression of rolling over everything remains, and I suspect it'll be there in dadfire even after the difficulty overhaul).
As for post-diablo trauma, I think Interplay marketed Icewind Dale as a diablo-like experience as well back then, didn't they ? That didn't help clear the misunderstanding.

Adding to confusion, it was also quite common for reviewers to compare Diablo to IWD.

It was usually meant in the sense that they were both combat heavy games, rather than a direct comparison of gameplay. It still confused quite a lot of people.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
The shitty part is they disregarded the DLC poll and, instead of making a huge expansion like they should, they are making 3 smallish ones that will inevitably be a bit unsatisfying and unsatiating.

What do you expect? White March was a great expansion, but it lost money because it was released too late. And if it came out earlier, you would have idiots claming t's a cut out content. They can't win by making big expansion pack, so they went back to FNV model.

It's not Obsidian's fault if people don't know what the fuck they actually want.

If each DLC adds an ambitious dungeon like Fort Deadlight or Raedrik's fortress and a few end-game bosses on random islands, I'll be quite all right with that.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Does 1 good dungeon and a few bosses justify the price tag? It depends on the length of the dungeon, obviously, but Raedric's isn't worth 10 bucks.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Seriously, why is Raedrik's fort considered a great dungeon? Can someone remind me? I have forgotten what happened there. I remember it having more soldiers than the population of the neighbouring town and being larger in size as well. I thought that was stupid. Was there something about the encounter design that was great? But I remember copy paste trash mobs. And, please give me a serious answer, because I really want to know.
There were multiple ways through it.

"They" pronouns, interesting.

Xeon

Augur
Something I dislike and I kinda wish if Obsidian gave another option to choosing side at the end is to massacre everyone of the leaders right at the time they started arguing or at least gave a chance to beat some sense into them. I mean I helped all sides and had a high reputation with all of them and it was a time of crisis where the world in danger or whatever but they still argued and each one decided to go on their own.

Similar thing happened in Tyranny at the start but there at least gave the option later to betray their ass which made me sorta content.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Seriously, why is Raedrik's fort considered a great dungeon? Can someone remind me? I have forgotten what happened there. I remember it having more soldiers than the population of the neighbouring town and being larger in size as well. I thought that was stupid. Was there something about the encounter design that was great? But I remember copy paste trash mobs. And, please give me a serious answer, because I really want to know.

Multi-level dungeon with open-ended design, about a dozen different ways to go through it, with plenty of reactivity depending on how you approach it (ie if you do it full stealth he will have less guards for the final fight.)

It's also one of the only decent set-piece boss fights in the whole game, and then another one decent fight in the end game, if you sided with Kolsc.

Overall, Raedrik's Hold was the best PoE1 had to offer, and they knew it, which is why they put it already at the start of Act 1.

Durgan's Battery in White March and Fort Deadlight in Deadfire are definitely better dungeons, though.

Does 1 good dungeon and a few bosses justify the price tag? It depends on the length of the dungeon, obviously, but Raedric's isn't worth 10 bucks.

Islands in Deadfire also have plenty of boss dungeons, usually smaller ones with 1-2 levels. And season pass is 25 bucks. So that's quite all right price wise. As.

What I am hoping for personally is two DLCs, each with a big, open-ended dungeon, tied into faction conflict and endgame difficulty. Plus a random island or two. And the third DLC focused on ship content that will populate the seas properly with some monsters, more pirate bosses and maybe radiant ships and shit.

We'll see though.

2house2fly

Magister
Anyone got the inside scoop on why Maneha didn't make it as a returning companion? Lesbian orc monstergrrl barbarian would have fit right in.
Bringing back companions from the expansion nobody played was probably considered a bad idea

2house2fly

Magister
Well, it's not clear whether they cut the game up. The Fig campaign promised DLCs, so it was certainly known DLCs will come. The shitty part is they disregarded the DLC poll and, instead of making a huge expansion like they should, they are making 3 smallish ones that will inevitably be a bit unsatisfying and unsatiating.
But which some people will actually play

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom