Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pre-DLC Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

Xeon

Augur
thought u had to side with Furrante because I sided with Aeldys in my original save and it didnt work. after patch too, guess its still bugged. every other ending worked fine tho
Since Making Waves unlocked for you the same like all the rest, that means I don't need to meet them or anything to sail, right? it supposed to unlock after the talk with the queen?

ScrotumBroth

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
I just realized you can almost entirely skip the reloading of ranged weapon if you click again after the reloading starts.

I'm kind of amazed, this is like a third major bug that greatly affects the gameplay with just one weapon type. These things worked perfectly fine in the first game. Does Obsidian even have playtesters? Or did they spend all the playtesting and bug fixing money on voice acting and writing romances?

They were testing so you can't have sex with a companion and click again before pulling out to reset the encounter and avoid main protagonist getting tied in a relationship.

Priorities, you know.

Shadenuat

Arcane
Remembered Sawyer stating what a priority sjw for him is up to yelling at people

I wish he would yell at people to finally make party keep formation set by the player upon entering new areas and encounters

From all the companions Pallegina would make the best pirate - she greatly approves desecrating local shrines and destroying culturally rich temples

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
Finished the game at the 50 hour mark, completed most side-quests, all bounties, and had each faction around 4-5 reputation. Still, I somehow missed an island (Splintered Island?). Deadfire did enough things well that I would play again once the DLC is released and the difficulty is fixed. My general impressions:
  • PotD was too easy. Still, I changed spells and weapons depending on the enemy, which I rarely did in PoE1. Some of the fights were difficult, such as the fampyr cave that had 3-4 of my party members charmed at one time.
  • Thaumaturge was a lot of fun, even if it is not considered optimal. As a multiclass character, I did not obtain max level spells, such as meteor storm, but I found I did not really need max level spells. Avatar, Pillar of Fire, Minolleta's Concussive Missiles did most of the grunt work. Furthermore, you can craft a scroll for spells such as meteor storm.
  • Itemization and enchanting were more interesting. Specifically, being able to add or enhance an ability or trait on a weapon. For example, there is a mace that grants enhanced fire spell during the day and enhanced frost spells during the night. I enchanted it to grant additional fire spell levels and to lifesteal, which came in handy. I also liked the items that scaled relative to a skill, such as metaphysics or history.
  • While I did not necessarily love ship combat, it served as a change of pace after several boarding actions. Most boarding actions felt the exact same, which could get boring. Along side other balance tuning, I hope Obsidian gives certain ship crews more bite.
  • I did not run into that many bugs, outside of 3 crashes and my save import not carrying over the orlan baby correctly. Otherwise, I had a grimorie to turn in for a quest (1 of 4) and the npc would not recognize it.
  • Except for the beginning, gold was never an issue. If you do the bounties, you will be swimming in items to sell.
  • Insight, metaphysics, Perception 16, Might 16, are the kings of skill checks in my experience.
  • I can see multiclassing, itemization, enchanting, and skill/attribute bonuses adding a lot of variety.
  • I did not mind the per encounter abilities, but I found the wound system in its current state to be a waste of time. It is too easy to fix.
With respect to story and companions, it was easily the weakest parts of Deadfire, but had some alright moments:
I actually enjoyed the Eothas moments the most, especially where you can see him in the background of the Ashen Maw or where he states "something beautiful is coming." I also liked the moment where you can see a giant tsunami/tidal wave crash into him, only to have no effect. In contrast, I found the other gods incredibly underwhelming. They just sat around and bitched. Worse yet, I told them that I would side with Eothas and/or refuse to help, and they did nothing. I expected Berath and/or the other gods to send champions to stop me, but they conceded it was my choice. Without any degree of consequence, those interim slides with the gods felt toothless and pointless filler.

Another point of irritation was the selective stupidity about the "Wheel." Everyone acts as if life would die out without the Wheel. Yet, even the gods seemed to forget that there was a time before the Wheel was even created and life seemed to exist just fine. I fail to see how it is the end of the world, if it just the world returning to the natural order.

I also was a little disappointed with the companions. The companions were slightly better than PoE1, but still left much to be desired. The companion quests were okay and had dilemmas, but it was hard to tell how I affected the companion or what resolution they chose. For example, in New Vegas you would at least receive a perk, or something.

tldr; game was too easy, ship combat became a dull affair, the story and companions were just okay (at best), but despite all the negatives I still enjoyed myself and would play again.

Last edited:

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
I think they might have to add another difficulty level, Path of Completely Screwed, to make combat really challenging for subsequent runs. The way active skills work, it's trivial to go robbing all shopkeepers blind as soon as you land in Neketaka and be decked in legendary items by level 8. At which point you can probably beat almost every encounter aside from vampire cave, vampire island, Nemcock and some of the bounties.

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
I think they might have to add another difficulty level, Path of Completely Screwed, to make combat really challenging for subsequent runs. The way active skills work, it's trivial to go robbing all shopkeepers blind as soon as you land in Neketaka and be decked in legendary items by level 8. At which point you can probably beat almost every encounter aside from vampire cave, vampire island, Nemcock and some of the bounties.
Honestly, I think if certain enemies had more hp, it would go a long way. Specifically, just enough to survive an empowered spell.

Mr. Hiver

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Disabling resting in unsafe areas, or maybe having you attacked before any resting bonuses or healing is applied, in case you cleaned a dungeon or a map, for zero exp - would go a long way to make the game more difficult in a natural way. I havent really studied how numbers work but im sure there will be plenty of suggestions about that from those who did.

The empower thing, which i also didnt use yet, obviously seems like in need of various nerfs.

Kruno

Arcane
Patron
Village Idiot Zionist Agent Shitposter
Ruthless-evil content is just as crap as its good binary opposite.

You just think it will be better for the feeling of novelty and idiotic low ego mastubration. But it isnt.

Oh come on, I will trade the entire PoE party for Edwin Sarevok or Viconia in heart beat and I'll gladly listen to them masturbate.

When did Edwin and Sarevok have a baby?

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Resting bonuses are pretty fucking overpowered tbh. I can eat a bag of rice and it gives better damage reduction than legendary armor carved out of bones of a demon king.

:happytrollboy:

Quillon

Arcane
Resting bonuses are pretty fucking overpowered tbh. I can eat a bag of rice and it gives better damage reduction than legendary armor carved out of bones of a demon king.

:happytrollboy:

Sawyer wanted to emphasize the importance of good nutrition for our body. You are what you eat after all. Yes.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
1524770144591.jpg
images

Pizzashoes

Scholar
Anyone got the inside scoop on why Maneha didn't make it as a returning companion? Lesbian orc monstergrrl barbarian would have fit right in.

Sherry

Arcane
Finished the game at the 50 hour mark, completed most side-quests, all bounties, and had each faction around 4-5 reputation. Still, I somehow missed an island (Splintered Island?). Deadfire did enough things well that I would play again once the DLC is released and the difficulty is fixed. My general impressions:

Ado!

gosh 50 hours is all omg that is quick because it has been 34 hours for me and I just completed one quest from the main city where I had to go sailing and look for some guy who did not pay someone back I met in a tavern. Her name is Kahn and asked me to find some fellow who owed her a lot of money and could be found along the Karatapu Channel and when I found him, he was about to be killed by some mean woman Inquisitor Lodwyn and omg that was so tough and hard of a battle on veteran it took only a few minutes to wipe the entire party that I had to reload and then let this guy just die for Woedica! So that means I only have another 16 hours left before the game is over are you sure you completed everything and sailed to every island and searched every part because 50 hours is not a lot when I completed my journey in Pillars of Eternity that is the first game along with its saved game from White March was 160 hours! That is 110 hours more than 50 hours. Something is clearly not right and you must have missed a lot of the game and all of its secrets and just rushed without role-playing at all during the breaks on your ship.

Last night I decided to listen to the soundtrack and have fallen in love with The Sacred Stair track by The Budapest Art Orchestra even though I have not heard it in-game yet I have to share the name of this wonderful track to anyone who is saying the music is not that good, it is a lot better than Pillars of Eternity with its soothing soft sounds and atmospheric layers. If you have the soundtrack it is track #16 so give it a listen and enjoy it is very well done and there are no elevator dings from the Italian cleaning ladies like there was during the Pillars recordings in the lobby. This song reminds me of a Braveheart track called The Princess Pleads for Wallce's Life especially the intro with its similarities it is a great movie if you have not seen it and has a romantic soundtrack to go along with it. Check it out on movie night! omg I just realized that The Princess Pleads for Wallace's Life is track #16 on the album just like The Sacred Stair is #16! wtf right?

Agracima,
Sherry

Last edited:

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Spoilers:

Lol, nice. Too bad first game reactivity is the only interesting thing gods do in this game.

The writing is at its best when they aren't tryharding to make it "deep and meaningful" and just go for a cliche wacky pirate game. The imps are great, the Principi faction has the best questline and stuff like the undead pirate demon with Scottish VO or
killing the pirate who attacks you in the prologue by planting a bomb in his piano and having it explode when he plays it during a drunken orgy
was balls of fun.

If only entire game was like this. All this soul and adra and gods stuff is such a bore.

Kruno

Arcane
Patron
Village Idiot Zionist Agent Shitposter
PotD was too easy. Still, I changed spells and weapons depending on the enemy, which I rarely did in PoE1. Some of the fights were difficult, such as the fampyr cave that had 3-4 of my party members charmed at one time.

Ok. This fight is pretty easy. If you take on 1 at a time it is possible for a level 11 party to do this. This is the first time in the game I realised that the boost function existed, and once I found that out the whole fight became real easy and AI automated.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
We tried it on the Huana first, skeptical that it would yield any outcome on the people with greater exposure to their native adra. The Sengretta would not let us test it on our colonists until we knew for certain that it was safe. Much to our mutual delight, the experiment was a success. Perhaps . . . too successful. The Huana enjoyed their new vitality, and then they began to “enjoy” each other. Physically separating them was no deterrent at all to their enthusiasm. This piqued the attention of the noble houses (though Hylea knows how any of them learned about our experiment), and the demands for refined adra grew in volume. I understand that the nightlife in Queen’s Berth has grown significantly more interesting. Not that anyone has proffered me an invitation.
Plot twist - everyone in the game is horny because of exposure to luminous adra.

also you can stumble upon various side-content npcs, especially on islands etc, that have no VO, which only shows that they were doing it in a hurry
Unfortunately they will probably patch these.

Riddler

Arcane
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
Maia VA is like Google Maps GPS voice, consistently monotonous and devoid of emotion. Did they pay her with a bag of peanuts and unpublished Sawyer novella, because the effort appears rock bottom.

Marisha Ray is not a particularly good or experienced VA.

Agreed. I don't always expect Jennifer Hale, Claudia Black or Grey Griffin, but when lack of effort is easily perceivable it's not good.

I doubt it's lack of effort, if you don't have talent for VO, no amount of effort is going to make a difference, it's clearly a budget issue, otherwise everyone would get Hale, Black for their projects. That's why cheap VO is never a good idea, you get a few decent lines here and there and then you get bombarded by part timers butchering your soul.

I don't think it is budgeting or effort, it's all related to marketing. They wanted to use Critical role in their marketing and that unfortunately comes with not only Mr Mercer but also Mrs. Mercer.

The majority of the cast of CR are top-notch VA-talent but Marisha's claim to fame is CR which she only got to be in because she was Mercers girlfriend (now wife).

I'm sure she is a nice girl and all but the difference in talent between her and the rest of the group is staggering.

Last edited:

Sizzle

Arcane
The companion quests were okay and had dilemmas, but it was hard to tell how I affected the companion or what resolution they chose. For example, in New Vegas you would at least receive a perk, or something.

Yeah, that was disappointing. Especially considering they added after-quest perks to the new companions from TWM2 (Zahua & Maneha). Still, it shouldn't be that difficult to add if we all bitch at Sawyer loud enough :D

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom