Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Mechajammer (formerly Copper Dreams) - cyberpunk RPG from Whalenought Studios

Ninjerk

Arcane
The systems look so good that I'm worried where the time for content creation will come from.

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Wow, I'm really liking a lot of the changes since I last played the pre-alpha build a few months ago.

The custom lights, moving boxes, hex tiles and fixes/tweaks to the aiming+movement look great. Lots of potential for sick gameplay including prefiring/pre-aiming and using movement to perform bullet dodging. Definitely a big step towards fun gameplay.

grimace

Arcane
End of the video https://youtu.be/cfAi2h0A-lY?t=1570 asks players for Ad ideas.

In game advertisements for in game products?
  • protein bars
  • MRE (meals ready to eat)
  • Canned foods (canned Whale?)
  • Numbers Up soda? (Like 7 Up)? "you cant run when your numbers up"

The lore of the game says we are on another planet? So are most of the edible items shipped in to the planet?

The movie Space Truckers featured pigs that were grown in square shipping containers to maximum the bacon potential.

Earlier in the thread we mentioned cat food (that could be human food if hungry enough).

whalenought_hannah Whalenought_Joe

grimace

Arcane
01710427aca110b3601be990621fccc5_original.gif

Here's an idea:

9X9dfen.png

Excidium II Cat Food

Not just for cats. Not just food.

Excidium II Cat Food

Not just for cats. Not just food.

Junmarko

† Cristo è Re †
Patron
The lore of the game says we are on another planet? So are most of the edible items shipped in to the planet?
An easy idea would be goofing on the typical Milky Way/Mars bar equivalent - Deus Ex inspiration also means they gotta throw in various Soy, Cigarette & Coffee products lol. (Soy-bean smokes? :lol:).

Dark humour: Include products made from the planets indigenous fauna - eg: Fruit punch that has high toxicity with plant being unpredictable on humans (heavy organ damage - but so delicious) - advertisements for rival product: An antidote of said fruit punch's negative effects (which has addictive properties itself :lol:)

The setting sounds like a loose homage to Blade Runner with it's off-world premise (Calantha, Blade Runner 2049). Cyberpunk is never complete without Asian street-food vendors either. Screw with the written characters a bit to capture off-world identity (Korean + Cyrillic etc). Can have heaps of fun with it.

:incline:

Last edited:

Lagi

Savant
as for fake-game-advertisment - hackneyed idea:

lets some main company that sell some some widely available product, use humans as resources. And this "secret" player would have to discover it by accident (like in the second quest, he would be forced by game for casual speak with emotionally broken scientist).

f.ex. soap from human fat (fight club)
rejuvenating pills from human blood
organ replacement (that are harvest from poor bastards, not grow in labs)
cheap priced meat from human (BladeRunner, animals are almost extinct due to environment pollution and dense urbanization)
plants grow on fertilizer from human (funeral homes find new source of income)
some type of service, that are commonly believed to be done by machines, but in fact is done by child labors (smartphones assemblies)

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
MOAR: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1649838104/copper-dreams/posts/2162018

Detonating the room with tile effects

e972a2b704b8909cabcf307c1ed65827_original.png

f7fb023143ac9a80eb52870b9b0c6fd5_original.gif

In the distant future, the year 2000, pills and computers are wicked cool.

We wanted to follow up the last update to show off something else we've been finishing up on: the framework for the tile effects for environmental hazards.

Tiles in Copper Dreams are part of the active simulation in and out of combat, and one of the last big systems we needed for the alpha to add to the sandbox of rules and systems for the player to abuse.

All the tiles on a map can have quite a few variables that change during gameplay:
  • Occupied/Unoccupied
  • Lit / unlit / shadow
  • Sound emission
  • Light color
  • Line-of-sight hidden or visible
  • Projectile or Damage range traveling through
And now featuring state effects like:
  • fire
  • blood
  • water
  • smoke
  • electricity
There was a lot of reactive parts to these effects to work into the wide variety of other sensory systems, not just medical ailments but sound emission and enemy AI paths so they can track effects like dripping water or unusual noises.

Stunning an entire room with smoke or fire works as you'd expect it to with our ailment system, so players should make as good of use of that as enemies will on them. A smart tactic for fire-fights is luring opponent(s) around the corner until out of sight, where they will last-known-position you, and then track you blindly — allowing you to get the upper hand pretty easily. To counter that, if they have grenades of some sort, an AI path for certain enemies for the alpha will be to just flush you out. The tick-tile movement coordinates well with that. If you see a grenade coming toward you and can ready your turn, you can get a chance to run from it. And you'll want to. This guard survived the initial blast and courageously ran through fire to hunt our agent down. He'd later go on to regret this.

237c6b26f6e5557ef81308532a4cd3d9_original.gif

Bravery.

Trackable and Ailment Tiles
Should you (or an NPC) walk over water or blood tiles, the character will get a 'wet' or 'bloody' ailment, and track that liquid for ~10 tiles. If these footsteps are seen by an NPC faction who is hostile against another NPC (Guards at a compound see thug patrolling), they'll initiate an AI path similar to last-known-position, and track those footprints until the last one, and then do a wary-state check of the area. They obviously also do this to you, so watch where you step! You can also use this to your advantage, toy with NPCs by luring them away from an area, out of sight and hearing of others.

e4a8ccc1f5e30443d9754f78f020fad8_original.gif

Water Tracking

4c8af962fe320a7c2cdd2c789d4dda6a_original.gif

Blood Tile

Running over smoke causes your character to take on a coughing ailment, which interrupts them for a ~tick (more if you have other chest ailments) and causes them to cough, making noise. Not great for being sneaky or on-the-run. This ailment re-rolls every 10 ticks.

cad392f1616d0cce4aeaad57ecd7f18d_original.gif

Smoke Tile

Electrical tiles on the ground stun your character for 3 ticks, and re-rolls that every 6. There are low and high-voltage electrical tiles, the former just stuns you, and higher ones can drain batteries on equipment, short-out cybernetics temporarily, or on higher rolls cause burn damage. That kind of electrical damage is caused by weapons, while environmental ones are less lethal.

1e123f688cab42f618ec8bc66c7d8be2_original.gif

Electrical Tile

Fire damage takes its ailments from the FIRE damage spreadsheet, and that's not a table you want associated with your character's health. For fire-grenades you'll take an initial blast-damage ailment, and that could cause a burning wound which procs every 4 ticks for a duration.

3b894d614bd4be911142b4612f636fdb_original.gif

Fire Grenade

This was also the first ailment to cause more ailments we've readied for the alpha, and it's a pretty slick system. Another one for alpha is impact weapon damage causing bones to break and getting bone-splinters which proc a bleeding damage.

Causality
Tile effects are automatically caused by some weapons. Like displayed in the previous update, shooting a gun causes tiles around you to light up for a light mod, as well as cause the sound of the gun, and lastly firing some bullet. Adding to those systems, weapons like flamethrowers can pour fire down hallways and leave fire tiles on the ground, and smoke grenades fill a room with smoke tiles.

Since the Burning Candle ruleset leans simulationist, there's no balance needed for things like this, but there are some odd ways we can allow to deter it. For the alpha we'll have fire extinguishers for clearing fire tiles or dousing yourself. For tactical drying action, keep a one-time-use hanky or towel on hand to pat your butt dry.

If you've caught on fire, you can use your roll action (if you have the Grace for it) or our very own implementation of stop-drop-and-roll to extinguish flames by crawling/crouch and standing in sequence. Each of those stance changes take a tick, and burning damage procs frequently, so you'll want to exclusively and quickly do a dance like that or extinguish yourself other ways if you want to keep yourself from getting too well-done.

Stacking Tile Effects
At the moment tiles are tiered to only have one per tile, like you can't have fire tiles on water. After the alpha is released we'll work on the final step for them which is just augmenting them together — fire on water tiles converts the two to vapor (which will just dissipate), an electrical attack on a water tile can travel to all other touching water tiles, and so on. It isn't a design focus nor are we trying to make this into chemistry class, but there is room for some puzzles and fun gameplay for that, so we'll be getting to it later.

BACKPACK
We also added the backpack into the main HUD on the right side. This allows the player to instantly swap active items without needing to go into the backpack first and equip them into quickslots. You've also got all the tools your character does at your disposal up front and center now in a full, glorious frame.

fe599e3f76d39ce70312cb7e54720b34_original.png

More update to come soon!

Cheers

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
I haven't been in touch with Whalenought for a while. I imagine they've got their heads down working towards releasing the alpha build, which I'm looking forward to playing.

I did a little bit of testing of a build in January pre-update 18 but I didn't have too much spare time. I'm not sure whether I will get to test another one before the Alpha.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Oh my god dat UI.

I wanna take it to dinner, then have passionate loving sex with it.

Fuck these modern minimalist, souless, styless UI and fuck those UI designer school nowadays.

Bring back thematic UI like this.
SO beautiful i could cry

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
So I'm not the only one that thought MGS series too?
The art is good, quite descriptive in that manner too.
Overall, I like it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom