Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pre-DLC Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I'm genuinely curious why he thinks the game is good/fun

my tl;dr so far after 30 hours and 'clearing' tikitaka is more or less: it's storm of zehir's bigger but kind of retarded cousin

as shadenaut put it, it's fun to cruise around, kill random passers-by and take their loot

but for all quest/story matters you are highly recommended to put your brain on autopilot and click 1 until quest/dialogue is resolved

Cold decreased

Mr. Hiver

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Ruthless-evil content is just as crap as its good binary opposite.

You just think it will be better for the feeling of novelty and idiotic low ego mastubration. But it isnt.

It's about having nuance. It makes sense to have options for companions who are ruthless in a setting like deadfire where piracy is rampant and colonisation is underway. It necessarily attracts opportunistic people.

Binary opposite extremes are not nuance.

Cross

Arcane
Just replaying BG and the banter between companions is so much better

Just listen to these, then go back to PoE and ask yourself, why is the PoE party as dry as a 80yo cunt?

So dry, no amount of lube is going to get this party going.
Their approach to voice acting for Deadfire has been Bethesda levels of moronic. Instead of casting actors based on how well they could embody the role of a character, they just hired the whole Critical Role cast, no matter how poor a fit they were for the characters. Though admittedly even the greatest thespian couldn't make that dialogue sound good.

dragonul09

Arcane
Edgy
Just replaying BG and the banter between companions is so much better

Just listen to these, then go back to PoE and ask yourself, why is the PoE party as dry as a 80yo cunt?

So dry, no amount of lube is going to get this party going.
Their approach to voice acting for Deadfire has been Bethesda levels of moronic. Instead of casting actors based on how well they could embody the role of a character, they just hired the whole Critical Role cast, no matter how poor a fit they were for the characters.

That's why VO is a slippery slope, you either do it good or don't do it all. PoE's entire cast sound like drop-out college students doing a part time job, just embarrasing.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
also you can stumble upon various side-content npcs, especially on islands etc, that have no VO, which only shows that they were doing it in a hurry

Sizzle

Arcane
Yeah, it reminds me of playing AoD on launch.
Yeah, that's why you have so many negative reviews of AoD mentioning bugs, right?

Didn't you and Goral stalk GoG and Steam review pages 24h/7, downvoting and starting drama in the comments under every negative review? Oh snap.

You didn't really think this through, did you. :lol:

Just because you want to say whatever goes through to your head, doesn't make it true.

And just because your lifetime dream is to suck VD's dick, doesn't mean AoD wasn't broken on launch. Everything after Teron was completely fucked and the state of Ganezzar in particular was absolutely pitiful.

And no, I didn't have a problem with AoD bugs then, and I don't have a problem with Deadfire bugs now. If you want games with open-ended structure and quest design, that's the price I'm happy to pay.

Of course, that's just my preference, because I'm actually interested in playing good RPGs, whereas the only reason you even sit on this forum is because no one else around you is interested in your retarded opinions.

Mark my words - one of these days, VD is going to come home to find his wife's face stapled on Lurker King (Impersonate 7 + Crafting 3).

Goral is going to watch from the closet while they make sweet C&C-laden love.

Remember, Lurkey, invest in Dodge if you don't want that Critical Strike in the eye :lol:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
it's storm of zehir's bigger but kind of retarded cousin
I will accept it being labeled as retarded as long as it's acknowledged that this condition runs in the family.
DbLKg6O.jpg

Annie was the first Obsidian brainlet, it just didn't become fully apparent until Dead State and Panic at Multiverse High.

Riddler

Arcane
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
Maia VA is like Google Maps GPS voice, consistently monotonous and devoid of emotion. Did they pay her with a bag of peanuts and unpublished Sawyer novella, because the effort appears rock bottom.

Marisha Ray is not a particularly good or experienced VA.

Iskramor

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
I like how Darth Roxor is on a crusade to defend this game. Maybe get off the LSD or whatever other drugs you've obviously put into your system? I'm starting to think you are reveling in the mess and presenting bad things as if they were good. That's not a virtue and you enjoying the bad things doesn't make the game good.

He is defending it against bitter people that want to emulate nostalgic feeling (when they were teen/kids) which is impossible and they get all frustrated and they tell everyone that all games sucks.

The Great ThunThun*

How DARE you!?
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
it's storm of zehir's bigger but kind of retarded cousin
I will accept it being labeled as retarded as long as it's acknowledged that this condition runs in the family.

Annie was the first Obsidian brainlet, it just didn't become fully apparent until Dead State and Panic at Multiverse High.

It *is* bad writing. But SoZ was never intended for great writing. Its purpose was to create a full, real tabletop feeling, which it did exceedingly well. Never before in an NWN game was it so clear that the games were crippled by the RtwP. SoZ with the full TB mechanics from ToEE would be high heaven.

Also, I would forgive SoZ for a simple reason: It does not try to be highbrow. It is a simple yet effective D&D campaign.

Sizzle

Arcane
Can anyone explain why lurker king posts in thread of devs he hate and in thread of game he hates and thread of genre he hates????

He believes the only way the RPG genre will move forward (and, to him, this means that all games should exclusively emulate Age of Decadence's design and everything Vince says) is to have games, studios, and practices he dislikes - eradicated.

Because the little retard cannot grasp that even if a game is bad, it still may have certain elements in it that are good - and will benefit the entire genre and industry down the line. Because games, like movies, music, and most art - are advanced not just by personal, solitary achievements, but by aping (semi)successful features from other works.

Which is why, on the whole, PoE2, with all its many glaring faults, still does some things right (items, quest design, etc.), and, hopefully, someone out there playing it will be inspired to make a game that takes its formula and surpasses it.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Yeah, it is kind of bizarre how Obsidian have upped their game with every area where they used to suck - the game is decently polished for an open world RPG, the graphics are great, level design can be excellent (Arkemyr's mansion, Fort Deadlight and Nemnok temple are all balls of fun and the first game only got close to that level once with Raedrik's fortress). If only they kept their old writing talent...

Can't have everything I guess.

Can anyone explain why lurker king posts in thread of devs he hate and in thread of game he hates and thread of genre he hates????

He believes the only way the RPG genre will move forward (and, to him, this means that all games should exclusively emulate Age of Decadence's design and everything Vince says) is to have games, studios, and practices he dislikes - eradicated.

The hilarious thing is that both Deafire and AoD are emulating Fallout 2 structure. The difference is that Deadfire does it better with a completely unlimited world map exploration, whereas AoD had to hide most of the content behind numerous plot-gates.

You'd think he'd be happy about that, but evidently not.

ScrotumBroth

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
Maia VA is like Google Maps GPS voice, consistently monotonous and devoid of emotion. Did they pay her with a bag of peanuts and unpublished Sawyer novella, because the effort appears rock bottom.

Agreed. I don't always expect Jennifer Hale, Claudia Black or Grey Griffin, but when lack of effort is easily perceivable it's not good.

Tygrende

Arbiter
I just realized you can almost entirely skip the reloading of ranged weapon if you click again after the reloading starts.

I'm kind of amazed, this is like a third major bug that greatly affects the gameplay with just one weapon type. These things worked perfectly fine in the first game. Does Obsidian even have playtesters? Or did they spend all the playtesting and bug fixing money on voice acting and writing romances?

dragonul09

Arcane
Edgy

Agreed. I don't always expect Jennifer Hale, Claudia Black or Grey Griffin, but when lack of effort is easily perceivable it's not good.

I doubt it's lack of effort, if you don't have talent for VO, no amount of effort is going to make a difference, it's clearly a budget issue, otherwise everyone would get Hale, Black for their projects. That's why cheap VO is never a good idea, you get a few decent lines here and there and then you get bombarded by part timers butchering your soul.

Last edited:

Tygrende

Arbiter
don't click again then :P
The thing is, I often have to click again either to change the target or because the fight got so clusterfucky I no longer know what's going on. Arquebus reloads are lengthy so I end up skipping most of them on accident.

It's not very fun to constantly worry about accidently giving yourself an unfair advantage.

Xeon

Augur
Making Waves and Gold, Greed, and Guts achievements.

For the Gold, Greed, and Guts achievement, do you need to side with Aldys? tried doing it several times and still not getting it after talking to Furrante after getting the ship.

Making Waves, this one as well, doesn't seem to unlock after talking to the Queen after her mission and setting up Carlos or whatever his name is.

Both missions say to tell them when I am read set sail to Ondra's Mortar with them but I can't find them at sea and when talking to the leaders they don't seem to say anything else. Only ones near Ondra's Mortar are Royal Deadfire which I can fight with them solo and damage my ship too much or just let them get fucked by the dragon when I decide to ignore them and go to the storm. Don't seem to be unlocking the achievement even after reaching Ukaizo.

I am using latest patch so no problems with that.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
All these island with nothing or at most an orchard, an oasis, one miniscule and repetitive cyoa text segment and a small combat encounter...

Bored, bored, bored.

Ziggy

Scholar
Making Waves and Gold, Greed, and Guts achievements.

For the Gold, Greed, and Guts achievement, do you need to side with Aldys? tried doing it several times and still not getting it after talking to Furrante after getting the ship.

Making Waves, this one as well, doesn't seem to unlock after talking to the Queen after her mission and setting up Carlos or whatever his name is.

Both missions say to tell them when I am read set sail to Ondra's Mortar with them but I can't find them at sea and when talking to the leaders they don't seem to say anything else. Only ones near Ondra's Mortar are Royal Deadfire which I can fight with them solo and damage my ship too much or just let them get fucked by the dragon when I decide to ignore them and go to the storm. Don't seem to be unlocking the achievement even after reaching Ukaizo.

I am using latest patch so no problems with that.

thought u had to side with Furrante because I sided with Aeldys in my original save and it didnt work. after patch too, guess its still bugged. every other ending worked fine tho

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom