Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity PoE II: Deadfire Sales Analysis Thread

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Hmmm i just have things that i like and things that i don't like. I am not that insane to want the death of all people with artificial holes in their skin. Why are you nitpicking?

You are fine with body modifications in the form of tattoos and earrings but you get triggered from nose piercings and dyed hair, really? Your position seems to come from knowing "SJWs" rather than having a problem with piercings or dyes themselves. I.E you didn't have an opinion on either piercings or hair dyes until you found out some fat ugly sjws have them now by association you hate the modifications also.
:negative: Actually i don't have problem with piercing or dyes,as long as they are not total shit. If you have one or two piercings is ok,having 300 on the pussy alone is clear sign of insanity and a potential danger to people. I dislike the unnatural colours of hair,don't have a problem with blond or red. When i see a green haired freak i just want rip it off :). I am against all radical modifications of the body and against retards. Also i never liked coloured hairs,even before the sjw wave...... it is just unnaturally ugly and it shows your psychological and mental problems.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Any piercings that aren't on the ears are an aesthetic disaster.

Roguey so who’s to blame for your current outlook?

I’m not trying to be a dick here, but changing your whole worldview because you idolize someone and then changing it again because you now vilify that same person doesn’t sound too healthy. Also, anyone whose favored class is rogue clearly has some unresolved issues.
Thought you knew about Lesi? Anyway, I wouldn't say my entire worldview has changed. Would rather not get into the whole complicated mess itt though. :M

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Any piercings that aren't on the ears are an aesthetic disaster.

Roguey so who’s to blame for your current outlook?

I’m not trying to be a dick here, but changing your whole worldview because you idolize someone and then changing it again because you now vilify that same person doesn’t sound too healthy. Also, anyone whose favored class is rogue clearly has some unresolved issues.
Thought you knew about Lesi? Anyway, I wouldn't say my entire worldview has changed. Would rather not get into the whole complicated mess itt though. :M

I meant who is the new Requires Hate?

DeepOcean

Arcane
to Planescape: Torment's description of Deionarra, a ghost and one of the most important characters of the game:

aAxzutV.jpg

Unlike Deadfire, where you get two paragraphs describing a character's smile in autistic detail (even though the portrait already shows him smiling through wrinkled skin), the writing in PS:T is content to mention only the things that would be immediately apparent to someone seeing Deionarra for the first time: her beauty and her posture, with the more flowery language ('ethereal breeze') used sparingly and with the important purpose of conveying her ghostly nature.
Yep, this creates a feeling of admiration, the description manipulates you into imagining an idealized woman focusing on her feminine features like the striking beauty, long and flowing hair and the gown stirred by the wind, a romantic image, what is something really important to do because the dialog that will come afterwards will exploit this feeling of you being on the presence of a no ordinary woman and the music and voice acting will hammer the point even further.

Pay attention that the description don't tell the color of her hair or give details about her gown, the details aren't really important, the player will forget about them as soon as the next side quest appear but the impression the encounter had on the feelings of the player, that is long lasting. We only pay attention to things we can use or things that affect our emotions and filter the rest as unimportant, a writer that imagine a scene on his head may have the desire to be autistic in detail to try to transmit to the player that scene he has on his head but this is a mistake, words are awkward and really inefficient to try to convey a scene that is purely visual information, the player will feel annoyed of trying to read that, that is what movies are for.

Purple prose is the worst, it is the attempt of hiding a banal description behind words that the writer thinks will impress the reader when the reader could care less. A good writer instead of going to autistic detail, will go for intent and the intent of this description is to make the player feel this ghostly woman is an admirable woman.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Oh, I have imprints but none of 'em affect my opinions on things too much or are particularly notable (except Ms. "I have a Master's in English and a popular RPG blog").

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Oh, I have imprints but none of 'em affect my opinions on things too much or are particularly notable (except Ms. "I have a Master's in English and a popular RPG blog").
You are a strange man Roguey,i really do hope you find love a nice Slav girl. Also Lilura is fun insane girl,it always brings a smile to my face when i see her posts :) .

Last edited:

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
The Codex has always been radical. Anyway, game unofficially flopped?
Starting to seem that way, based on initial (potentially ambiguous) numbers. Seems like they would have benefited from even more time in the oven (to address balance and bugs)... and also a whole new writing team.

Big Wrangle

Better marketing from Versus Evil would have helped as well. They treated the game the same way as Banner Saga 2. The core backers were reminded it exists sometimes but from an 'outsider' prespective the game might've as well been in development for two days.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Seems like they would have benefited from even more time in the oven (to address balance and bugs)... and also a whole new writing team.
They could have made a better game, but that wouldn't help with lousy marketing or the very real sequel fatigue.

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Seems like they would have benefited from even more time in the oven (to address balance and bugs)... and also a whole new writing team.
They could have made a better game, but that wouldn't help with lousy marketing or the very real sequel fatigue.

True, but it would presumably have helped with word of mouth which does tend to generate sales, particularly in the post-launch weeks where Deadfire is so quickly declining. Instead, while reviews have been mostly positive, word of mouth has been muted and I see mention of balance issues in more places than just the codex.

D:OS2 numbers were never going to happen because D:OS2 is a total outlier whose success makes zero fucking sense, but #s should still have been better than what we're seeing.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
It was quite a while in the oven, though. Like 3 years? I also don't buy the "sequel fatigue" cop-out, PoE1 came out over 3 years ago. Judging by the achievement statistics about White March, not many people played it, sooooo there really can't be sequel fatigue. People are either waiting for the full release, waiting for discounts or didn't like PoE1. Or don't like the setting, I guess, but that's weird.

dragonul09

Arcane
Edgy
I'm leaning toward people didn't like PoE1, didn't want TWM, didn't want Deadfire.

It's not rocket science, I have been saying this since the release of the first game, people didn't enjoyed the first game, sure it has high ratings , but that's mostly from the rabid fans that would eat whatever shit Obsidian will churn out. The sane people, the ones that you actually need to keep your shitty studio afloat, bailed the second they saw this game had nothing new to bring to the table, but a second handed universe with the originality of a knockoff from China.

Let's hope this will be the final nail in the coffin for this franchise.

frajaq

Erudite
PoE 1's new player experience certainly soured things for some people, I'm confused by Obsidian's logic in designing certain places for Act 1

Anecdotal I know, but I remember that 2 of my friends that tried out PoE 1 on launch got really frustrated with the Temple of Eothas dungeon in Gilded Vale, since you get Aloth and Edér there very early and the dungeon entrance is inside the city, it was "logical" to them that they should be able to clear it at like level 2 and with only 2 companions. Naturally they got raped by the teleporting ghosts that ignore the Engagement mechanic completely and get endlessly frustrated. One of them just gave up on the game right there and went to play something else

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
PoE 1's new player experience certainly soured things for some people, I'm confused by Obsidian's logic in designing certain places for Act 1
The logic was "old school design" that is, put a few higher level areas where you inevitably wipe out and decide to tackle later when you're stronger. Vogel spoke out against this in 2010 as he was shifting towards current game design philosophies http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...expansion-thread.100006/page-200#post-4859720

Jezal_k23

It is incomprehensible to most people that there could be something in the early game that they can't beat. For some who are used to level scaling and/or lower difficulties it might be incomprehensible to find an encounter they can't beat at any point the game, period.

Looks like people really were softened up by modern game design philosophies over time.

Lycra Suit

Prophet
Possibly Retarded
The logic was "old school design" that is, put a few higher level areas where you inevitably wipe out and decide to tackle later when you're stronger.

The problem being that Pillars was a lot more linear than Baldur's Gate 2. Works in Akathla because it's the main hub for 75% of the game including the end game. You pass by those areas all the time if you chose to make the detour whenever you feel ready you can walk to the place in a few seconds. What areas of act 1 were you even supposed to go back to?

That's entirely Josh's fault btw.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom