Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pre-DLC Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

Fairfax

Arcane
I think Obsidian could have done much better if they had used an experienced and well-established publisher. See what magic this company called Paradox Interactive can do with a trailer.

If you mean quality-wise, their trailers for PoE and Tyranny were nothing special, and neither had particularly good marketing:

If you meant the view count, their big trailers have fake views. Most have an extremely low engagement for the number of views, to the point where it's way too obvious.

1.74 million views, 578 likes, 159 comments.

2.1 million views, 1.1k likes, 182 comments.

7.1 million views, 1.3k likes, 129 comments.

These are numbers one should be getting with ~30-50k views, not millions. It's quite ridiculous.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Yeah lots of quest chains are messed up, but usually re-entering the dialogue fixes things enough so you get your mission and/or reward.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
maxresdefault.jpg

This is just submissive nerd fantasy. Surely there's nothing like this in Deadfire.
Example of far superior writing than deadfire. The writer clearly understands how women think. It is shame that the erudite virgins on this forum have false idea of wymun being some kind of kind,elegant and intelligent creatures. You guys should go out more and meet real women.

Shadenuat

Arcane
Lol that's good. I wonder if he has other racial lines. Like if you're an aumaua it says *he looks up at you, clearly intimidated. "Uhh, you're a, don't you people lay eggs or something"*
it's an orlan thing

walking into shop: ooh so many things. is that an orlan cage?
his personal quest:
- eder nice guy, like animals
- yep, dogs, birds, orlans, like em all
whole special tumblr deadfire party: TRIGGERED

Idk what am I supposed to feel about it. Should I find it funny? Well I guess it's kinda funny. but then, even people who traveled with Eder for year(s) like Pallegina get --disapproval with him. Why? He traveled possibly with 2 orlans (watcher&hiaravias) and pallegina, shouldn't Pallegina just go "yeah that's eder ok", they fought DRAGONS side by side

Should we concider this just "hah naive farmer so cute", but then why it's kinda easy to run into them and get disapproval from anyone?

dis some agenda? Did they try to make Eder less of a positive character?

Personally I think not, I generally feel it's just some retarded writing, same as Eder DISAPPROV hunting whales or whatever.

It does bring me to another point I wanted to make though.

I don't feel any camaraderie in this game when traveling around.

Party members, their quests, they suck. And they don't make any sense. Aloth hates you for any funny joke you make not to him. His quest goes nowhere. Pallegina can hate party members she traveled with and is just always feels annoying. More annoying than previous game. She is also suddenly an atheist paladin, whole nonsense package included, and searches for her lost father figure cause she has teenager issues. Cause godlike and racism and stuff. Does anyone but me finds this writing in a game where souls travel from body to body and weird races are everywhere strange? Eder became weird, and searches for lost gf suddely wtf knows where. Serafen is a pirate who hates racism, slavery and his quest is also searching not-dad. Gay waterbender is like, whatever.

Maia's quest is at least her doing her job, which doesn't look as retarded as the rest.

This is all soooo duuuull. Why can't I have a companion who's quest be like, search for a mysterious city of gold? Or establish some rich guild doing something (trade, piracy, whatever).

BG2 had dumb companion quests, but at least they were taking you places. Nalia, save her castle from trolls, get yourself a castle if you are a fighter. A dungeon. Great. Paladin, get into one of bigger dungeons. Great. Korgan, he actually had multiple mercenary tasks, which would lead you to multiple places too - crypts, search for Valygar, etc.

I wish there was kinda more of that, and a sudden companion you fish out of the sea, than deal with sudden personal companion issues which they never brought up in previous game. Deadfire the family sitcom.

And rep system, it's useless. It's another thing made to achieve something that can be done way simplier, and look more natural (just write some interactions between companions that make sense by hand), without constant cackles and hand gestures and all that shit.

Pizzashoes

Scholar
If you mean quality-wise, their trailers for PoE and Tyranny were nothing special, and neither had particularly good marketing:

If you meant the view count, their big trailers have fake views. Most have an extremely low engagement for the number of views, to the point where it's way too obvious.
I didn’t mean anything really. I was just being snarky. Good post though.

Pizzashoes

Scholar
maxresdefault.jpg

This is just submissive nerd fantasy. Surely there's nothing like this in Deadfire.
Example of far superior writing than deadfire. The writer clearly understands how women think. It is shame that the erudite virgins on this forum have false idea of wymun being some kind of kind,elegant and intelligent creatures. You guys should go out more and meet real women.
If you’re getting into situations with women where they run out of patience and have to explicitly proposition you, I have some bad news for you, bud.

Grab the Codex by the pussy
The number of negative reviews is increasing. Look at these two:

I played the 1st game and really enjoyed it. The keep mechanic was a fun add-on. I use the word add-on cause it was doing a fine job as an add-on giving you rest bonuses. In the 2nd game they replace the keep with a ship. However the ship mechanic is TERRIBLE. The ship combat mini game is slow, clunky and most importantly frustrating and not fun at all. Another thing i don't like is how ressource heavy is exploration. When you move around the world with your ship (or on foot on an island), the time clock move so fast, you constantly need ressources (water, food) to keep going. At first it might not seem huge to have each sailor consume 1-2 water and 1-2 food per day but when moving your ship 5 seconds forward makes the game go through a whole day, it makes exploring REALLY costly ressource wise. Another thing about ship combat, often you'll find ship entering combat with you but instead of fighting, they'll just constantly run away from you ? Why enter combat if you going to run away ? Another waiste of ressource. Ship navigation, exploration should NOT be a major game mechanic, it should have a perk. Right now the game focus too much on using that ship to go everywhere in the world and it kills the fun of the game for me. Each time i need to go elsewhere in the game, the idea of having to embark on that ship, makes me wanna stop playing (which i did).

Everyone is hyping about this game , however as someone who supported this game at kickstarter I will focus on BAD things :

1) Ship combat is boring (the text part) and repetative , feels like a punishment and not a challenge
2) Ship boarding is simply broken , you can wreak enemy ship from range , see that enemy has 1/11 people alive and when you board you find that your party is placeed in some horrific way (casters in front , tanks stuck behind) . Enemy has around 20 people that basically one shot anyone within first 2 seconds of combat . This means that there is no point in shooting enemy from afar as it does not affect the outcome .
3) Sea travel is very boring , no sea monsters , no cool events , nothing . Ship travel in heroes 1 was more exiting that this.

The ship combat is utter ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥t and just completely breaks this game for me (and as far as i can see unavoidable).

This game urgently needs an option to just avoid all and any ship combat to be even playable again.

I was very much looking forward to this game as a I thoroughly enjoyed the first one. However, all the ship content for me has ruined the game. I like playing RPG's not strategy games. What a shame.

It seems the ship mechanics was a deal breaker for some players. I wonder how many. Lots of negative reviews from players who enjoyed the first game and expected more from the second game, especially in terms of content:

Loved Pillars of Eternity 1, but this one could use a lot of story polish. Great World, Great Setup, but the main story is extremely short, and the stretch goals of companion relationships and quest lines are practically nonexistent.

That being said, I did enjoy them game, but as other reviewers mentioned. I kept going is that it....everything needed to be longer(quality-not just filler)

Companions needed at least 3 quest lines each, and the main story needed to be at least 4 times longer with much better writing. The main story felt like a side quest.

The side quests and factions were interesting and everything else was good, but main story is sadly lacking. Not to mention the insane about of technical bugs.

You can probably finish the entire game in less than six hours just doing the main quest. I did almost every side quest I could on the first play through stretched things out and finished the game in about 30 hours.

Had high hopes based on first game, but this one was disappointing.

I really wanted to like this game but I just can't.

First of all, it's doesn't even deserve to be a separate game: it's a huge DLC for PoE and nothing more. You have the same skills, same portraits, three companions from the first game, same dialog/book system but this time you find yourself in the Carribean... oops, I mean "the Deadfire archipelago". By the way, the naval combat system is, without a doubt, the most atrocious and the most lazily-implemented mechanic I've ever seen in my entire goddamn life.

As if this is not enough, the game is poorly optimized (it makes my video card make sounds like it's rendering "Witcher 3" and not an isometrical RPG vomited out of an Obsidian's slightly better version of RPG maker), it takes forever to load a new location even if you're using an SSD. Every single battle feels the same, the story is mediocre, your companions are all boring and one-sided, and the lore is just all over the place (the game uses waaaaaaay too many proper nouns to keep track of them; and they just cover you like a huge graphomaniacal tsunami). Also PoE2 is ridiculously overpriced and the Russian localization seems to be done by a dyslexic highschooler.

TLDR: if you miss those old-school RPGs go play Divinity Original Sin 2 since it's is a better game in virtually every aspect possible.

The major problem with the game is the main story is short, insignifcant and terribly written, both contradicting the first game, and treating the player like a meaningless spectator for whatever misunderstanding of Philosophy 101 that the developers think they're 'crafting.'

Worth noting also that combat is generally a joke. Unless you're taking on fights that are 4-5 levels above you, everything in the game is a faceroll. If you're looking for a challenge, even on the highest difficulty, this isn't a game worth bothering with.

The meat of the game is in sidequests and exploration, and while the framework for that is good, the current state is lesss than ideal.
In other words, the problem is not that it is a sequel, but it wasn't the improvement that you would expect from a sequel.

Last edited:

Trashos

Arcane
maxresdefault.jpg

If you’re getting into situations with women where they run out of patience and have to explicitly proposition you, I have some bad news for you, bud.

Eh, let them beg, why not?
But those are not proper women fantadomat. I like the ones who start giggling instead or at most they tell you they 'd like to see your apartment.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
maxresdefault.jpg

Eh, let them beg, why not?
But those are not proper women fantadomat. I like the ones who start giggling instead or at most they tell you they 'd like to see your apartment.
Geee mate,your women have far too much blood in their alcohol levels. Women do love to pretend that they are much different when it comes to those things. As for the bitch from the pic,well the thing that she said is going very well with the situation and the theme. Can't imagine that many bandit queens that live atop of a junk yard have very high education and talk like princes from a book.
Also as i said a few time,love a nice trashy woman ;).

Iskramor

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
maxresdefault.jpg

Спри да се запознаете с българските улици

PoE2 has something to upset everyone:

The piss-easy combat annoyed the combatfags

The bad writing and lack of C&C insulted the storyfags

The half-assed romances bothered the biowores

The ship system disturbed the CYOA haters

The lack of content irritated the fans of the first game

The RTwP angered the popamolers

The bugs and broken quest lines rattled everyone

Well done!

Shadenuat

Arcane
Good thing I didn't fight dragons on first playthrough, saved myself from extra disappointment

Sea dragon is lvl 14 and has 1000 hp. 12th level Eder (fighter rogue, 2 swords) hits for 60 damage a swing or so, so 120 damage per round just from him. Literally select > left click. I understand dragon was weakened from being there but... maybe I can make him stronger by removing some seals first??

And he promised "endless waves of nagas", where are they?? SAWYER
WHERE ARE MY NAGAS

P.S. I don't know about other classes, but fighter/rogue is so imba I don't even
I don't even even my don't even

press +acc (instant)
press +20 all def (instant)
press attack for extra pen
press finishing blow

Eder downs 3 enemies the time other 4 party members do 1.

Strange that my druid leads in damage compared to him, guess it's the AOEs and broken insect plague.

Last edited:

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
PoE2 has something to upset everyone:

The piss-easy combat annoyed the combatfags

The bad writing and lack of C&C insulted the storyfags

The half-assed romances bothered the biowores

The ship system disturbed the CYOA haters

The lack of content irritated the fans of the first game

The RTwP angered the popamolers

The bugs and broken quest lines rattled everyone

Well done!

now make the same list for aod

now make the same list for aod
The difference is that in AoD you have a bunch of conflicting ingredients that are well done. If you are a storyfag, you can avoid the combat completely and focused on the text, and the story, the characters, the choices, and they are all good. If you are a combatfag, you can try different builds and focus on killing things. And so on. It is a much better game, even being a tough sell. Maybe if PoE2 did something, anything, right it would please some group.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
I like how Darth Roxor is on a crusade to defend this game. Maybe get off the LSD or whatever other drugs you've obviously put into your system? I'm starting to think you are reveling in the mess and presenting bad things as if they were good. That's not a virtue and you enjoying the bad things doesn't make the game good.

Self-Ejected

MajorMace

Self-Ejected
Patron
Good thing I didn't fight dragons on first playthrough, saved myself from extra disappointment

Sea dragon is lvl 14 and has 1000 hp. 12th level Eder (fighter rogue, 2 swords) hits for 60 damage a swing or so, so 120 damage per round just from him. Literally select > left click. I understand dragon was weakened from being there but... maybe I can make him stronger by removing some seals first??

And he promised "endless waves of nagas", where are they?? SAWYER
WHERE ARE MY NAGAS

P.S. I don't know about other classes, but fighter/rogue is so imba I don't even
I don't even even my don't even

press +acc (instant)
press +20 all def (instant)
press attack for extra pen
press finishing blow

Eder downs 3 enemies the time other 4 party members do 1.

Strange that my druid leads in damage compared to him, guess it's the AOEs and broken insect plague.
yeah the sea dragon is the one who made me open the bestiary to check stuff up
even properly tuned, there's something I don't understand with the design of the bestiary
the world is open wide, there's little reason to make krakens and dragons mid-game threats by design (and no threat at all by execution) if the player can avoid these altogether
it's weird, like they considered that people really wouldn't want to miss these, so they tuned them down significantly... because technically the game still has stuff that would wipe low level parties immediatly, so why not be coherent and make dragons and such be these threats

It's even weirder considering dragons were properly designed for high level in poe and the white march

flame nagas are actually among the highest level critters with eotens, liches and vampires. And if they ever fix these, and have them actually punch when they hit, they will be very cool enemies. Nagas are also the only high level threat (by design) that gives purpose to poison immunity.

Trashos

Arcane
I like how Darth Roxor is on a crusade to defend this game. Maybe get off the LSD or whatever other drugs you've obviously put into your system? I'm starting to think you are reveling in the mess and presenting bad things as if they were good. That's not a virtue and you enjoying the bad things doesn't make the game good.

I think he is worried that he 'll never get the chance review PoE3.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
How can I not when you've been posting only bad impressions of the game, yet say you are having fun?

maybe because

*gasp*

it's good for what it is, and it's neither horrible nor outstanding

also i post positive impressions inbetween as well

but i've also noticed that you cling to every negative post itt and then go "SEE? EVERYONE HATES IT! HAHA WHAT A SHIT GAME" when that particular post can be surrounded by 5 other that are positive

cant wait for you to start high-fiving lurker king

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom