Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Why the majority of the codex dont play the true classics?

Atlet

Arcane
Vatnik
I keep reading codexians that played Dragons Dogma, Blackguards, Expeditions:whatever, Legends of Eisenwald, Dark Souls, Wasteland 2, Pillars of eternity, shadowrrun, etc etc etc, but when it comes to the true classics (Ultima IV-VII; Might and Magic 2; Wizardy 6/7; Wasteland; Darklands; Betrayal at Krondor; Realms of Arkania II; Pools of Darkness; Dungeon Master etc etc) they make poker face.

Why?

PS: nothing wrong in playing the new generation games, but, in my little experience, if you didnt play the classics, you are losing the true magic . And I am a newfag, there isn't a nostalgic argument here.

PS2: yeah, my english sucks.

TemplarGR

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
Because those old classics have aged poorly and life is too short to play games with garbage graphics and poor controls. That is reality. Even i am an oldfag and can't stomach most old games.

There are many hypocrite oldfags who cling to their nostalgia in order to get codex-cred because they played obscure and old games most haven't, but if they were honest, they would admit this: There is no point in playing the classics today, unless you are studying game design for professional reasons or something.

Truth be told, the oldest playable classics for most are the original Fallouts and the Infinity engine games. Older than that and you enter rotten territory. Even the original Diablo sucks to play today. Try it.

TemplarGR

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
Because those old classics have aged poorly

case in point

LOL. If by popamolist you mean someone who grew up in the 90s and played those classics back when they were relevant, sure pal...

Reality is games take time, unless you are a nolife teenager living under your mom's basement and playing games 24/7. New good games get released every year, if you want to experience them and still have time to have a social life and a job, you need to prioritize. At some point you realize that old games are old, and you might as well play newer games. There is nothing wrong with that.

But of course this won't stop the pimplefaced nerds from calling my opinion shit because i attacked their insecurities, so go ahead, call me a popamolist kid.

Bigg Boss

Arcane
Because most of the old classics were first person not isometric, so there is a split between those who got into RPG's in the mid 90's and those that did slightly before. RPG's in the late 90's were mostly isometric, and it caught on big time, while Elder Scrolls replaced the grid based dungeon crawlers that came before.

If someone was to go back to these old games and update the UI and shit I think they might get some new fans. As it is M&M III is as early as I will go. I need some visual stimuli.

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer

case in point

LOL. If by popamolist you mean someone who grew up in the 90s and played those classics back when they were relevant, sure pal...

Reality is games take time, unless you are a nolife teenager living under your mom's basement and playing games 24/7. New good games get released every year, if you want to experience them and still have time to have a social life and a job, you need to prioritize. At some point you realize that old games are old, and you might as well play newer games. There is nothing wrong with that.

But of course this won't stop the pimplefaced nerds from calling my opinion shit because i attacked their insecurities, so go ahead, call me a popamolist kid.
You're a popamolist kid.

Most of my gaming time was in 2000's, still have no trouble playing Akalabeth / Wizardry / Hired Guns / etc.

Piotrovitz

Savant
Graphics whores aside, I'd say the main reason is the UI of most of 80s/early-mid 90s classics and the amount of time it takes to complete some of them.

People that were growing up with Fallouts and IEs, probably find the old UIs and general lack of ease-of-use features to be deal-breaker. Fuck, I bet there's shitload of young people that genuinely like cRPGS and want to try the oldschool titles, but are automatically threw off by stuff like tedious inventory management, lack of automap, cryptic puzzles, gringing, etc etc, plus the amount of time some of those games require to invest.

TemplarGR

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard

case in point

You're a popamolist kid.

Most of my gaming time was in 2000's, still have no trouble playing Akalabeth / Wizardry / Hired Guns / etc.

I figured as much. Well most of my gaming time was in the 90s, so tell me about it. And i am not kid, son. I am your father, in Darth Vader's voice. LOL

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member

you're a popamolist kid

saying that the classics have aged poorly, esp those mentioned in the OP like BaK, RoA, Wasteland, Wiz7, is patently false - all they require is checking the manual and that's it, often they even have better designed and intuitive UIs/controls than modern shitgames if you're willing to understand them, and their graphixxx tend to stay pretty even today because they have gorgeous pixel art

personally i tend to draw the line at ascii graphics because as one of the folks above said i need muh visual stimulation, but other stuff is usually fair game unless it's truly retarded

also furthermore it has to be said that one classic gaem is not equal to another, even within the same series, like wiz6 and 7 mentioned in the op - wiz7 is perfectly playable, but otoh wiz6 has a lot of Outdated Technical Limitations (tm) that pull it down

as for playing newer games cuz "might as well lololo" - wake me up when there comes something that can actually challenge Krondor or World of Xeen

eXalted

Arcane
Playing old classics for the first time when you have 1 free hour for gaming a day:

Try to manage the party inventory and skills, read couple pages of the manual, try to guess the keyword that the friggin NPC wants.... boom... 1 hour passed and you are still on the first screen of the game.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
Because those old classics have aged poorly and life is too short to play games with garbage graphics and poor controls. That is reality. Even i am an oldfag and can't stomach most old games.

There are many hypocrite oldfags who cling to their nostalgia in order to get codex-cred because they played obscure and old games most haven't, but if they were honest, they would admit this: There is no point in playing the classics today, unless you are studying game design for professional reasons or something.

Truth be told, the oldest playable classics for most are the original Fallouts and the Infinity engine games. Older than that and you enter rotten territory. Even the original Diablo sucks to play today. Try it.

It's not that you're an oldfag, it's just that you got old, feeble of mind and body, only popamole for you

TemplarGR

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard

you're a popamolist kid

saying that the classics have aged poorly, esp those mentioned in the OP like BaK, RoA, Wasteland, Wiz7, is patently false - all they require is checking the manual and that's it, often they even have better designed and intuitive UIs/controls than modern shitgames if you're willing to understand them, and their graphixxx tend to stay pretty even today because they have gorgeous pixel art

personally i tend to draw the line at ascii graphics because as one of the folks above said i need muh visual stimulation, but other stuff is usually fair game unless it's truly retarded

also furthermore it has to be said that one classic gaem is not equal to another, even within the same series, like wiz6 and 7 mentioned in the op - wiz7 is perfectly playable, but otoh wiz6 has a lot of Outdated Technical Limitations (tm) that pull it down

as for playing newer games cuz "might as well lololo" - wake me up when there comes something that can actually challenge Krondor or World of Xeen

Why do you draw the line at ASCII graphics? Aren't you a total hypocrite? Why not play RPGs of the early 80s? Why not play the early Elite?

You said you need visual stimulation? Well why do you deny my visual stimulation then? I get visual stimulated when i see Witcher 3 graphics. Why should i go back to 320x240 screens in 2018? Just so a little kid like yourself won't call me a popamolist on rpgcodex? LOL

octavius

Arcane
Patron

You are wrong.

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

Honestly, I think everyone has some arbitrary cutoff for this stuff, but if you can enjoy Fallout and the IE games, then you really shouldn’t have that much of a problem with Dark Sun: Shattered Lands. Betrayal at Krondor and Darklands really haven’t aged that badly either. Early to mid ‘90s stuff isn’t that clunky.

For ‘80s stuff, YMMV. I had no problem getting into Wasteland as an adult, but rarely can I stand playing a blobber. Even the ones I sort of liked as a kid just don’t do it for me anymore, although that’s not really a question of aging badly—more about having lots of non-blobber alternatives these days.

Zer0wing

Cipher
16-bit Shadowrun from 90's is actually really good, plays smooth enough even today. Alot of 16-bit console games old like vine.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
I've grown to like blobbers more now than I did back in the days.
It's just so refreshing with games being gamey and abstract, instead of trying to tell a story or being "realistic".

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
I have played Realms of Arkania and similar games. I have no desire to replay them though.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom