Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline Visual Novel Recomendation Thread

Is there a way to search for multiple tags or do an exclusionary search on vndb?

Theldaran

Liturgist
Out of curiosity, can anyone recommend a fantasy visual novel that isn't just about getting into other people's pants (not that I have a problem with eroge content, it's just that I can download fap material for free, so I feel when that's all it is, I'm not getting my money's worth). I'm already familiar with the Fate series, and I've read Fault, Dies Irie, Tokyo Babel, and Saya no Uta, but I can't really find any useful lists of precisely what I'm looking for.
High fantasy? Aiyoku no Eustia

Aiyoku no Eustia is being fan-translated, in the event you're English-only (Maxwell's Demon ). However, it might as well be 2020 before we lay hands on that.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Suspicious Chinese publisher SakuraGame releases Japanese visual novel/RPG Eternal Fantasy on Steam, with only Chinese localizationt:

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Romeo Tanaka does not at all look as I expected.

eBGaplz.jpg
Black hair, crazy, removed his eyebrows... Typical Japanese. How did you thought he'd look like?

tet666

Augur
Committee of Zero's translation of the PC version of Chaos;Child should be out in a few days according to their Twitter it was promised for June (they delayed it several times since last year but this is their make or break release date) and they just started a countdown with the main character bio's: https://twitter.com/CommitteeOf0 according to it release should be next Friday.

They've gone to great lengths to make the translation more coherent then the official console release and even include neat little details like this: https://twitter.com/user/status/981322604660383745
The console translation was honestly dog shit which is a shame since the game is my favourite Science Adventure VN.

Last edited:

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Spike Chunoft America's Anime Expo announcements, including Kotaro Uchikoshi's new game.

AI: The Somnium Files (PC, PS4, SW) - TBD - Kotaro Uchikoshi's new game

Specs
  • Release Date: TBD
  • Platforms: PlayStation 4, Switch, PC
  • Players: One player
  • Genre: Adventure
  • Languages: English text, Japanese audio / English audio
About the Game

At the Spike Chunsoft Anime Expo panel, Zero Escape series director / scenario writer Kotaro Uchikoshi unveiled AI: The Somnium Files, set for a worldwide release on the PlayStation 4, Nintendo Switch, and Steam! The game will take place in a more technologically-advanced Tokyo, Japan. The first teaser trailer introduced detective Kaname Date. Yusuke Kozaki (Fire Emblem Awakening, No More Heroes) is the lead character designer for the title.

About the Director

A director and scenario writer, his skills shine in his adventure titles, such as the Zero Escape series (including the award-winning Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors), Punch Line, and Ever17: The Out of Infinity. He is well-known for his unconventional plot twists and offbeat humor and has been actively working on many genres, many games, and many stories.

■ From the Panel

AI: The Somnium Files is a detective adventure game in which you investigate the mystery behind a series of murders in a technologically-advanced modern day Tokyo, Japan.

The game starts out with a bizarre murder case where a body is found with the eye gouged out of the skull. Players take on the role of a detective named Kaname Date on the trail of the serial killer behind this murder. Date’s left eye is an artificial eye with an AI unit within it that he uses to solve crimes.

If Date is investigating a case and finds a key witness or suspect, people will not always give up information freely, so Date can enter their memories and extract information. These memories are kind of like dreamscapes. The latin word for “dream” is “somnium,” so in the game the dreamscapes you enter are called somnium.

Since this is a detective game, there will be a wide cast of characters involved in the mystery. Iris, an 18 year-old high school student, is one of those characters. In the story, she is essentially a YouTuber who makes viral videos where she records herself dancing and singing, as well as Let’s Plays.

The game’s title can be broken down like so:
  • AI: Artificial Intelligence
  • Eye: The pronounciation of “AI” and main theme of the game
  • Love: “Ai” also means “love” in Japanese
  • Somnium: “Somnium” means “dream” in Latin

YU-NO: A Girl Who Chants Love at the Bound of this World (PC, PS4) - 2019

DhY8DZOW4AAfb7K.jpg

A remake of the classic.

Release date announcements:
Steins;Gate Elite (PC, PS4, SW) - Delayed to Early 2019
428: Shibuya Scramble (PC, PS4) - September 4

Valestein

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
One visual novel I've recently been playing and digging is "The Letter", which is a horror story with branching paths and seven chapters (each with a different protagonist) that intertwines, and let's just say that the VN doesn't beat around the bush when it comes to potential death scenes and other mature content.

Valestein

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
One visual novel I've recently been playing and digging is "The Letter", which is a horror story with branching paths and seven chapters (each with a different protagonist) that intertwines, and let's just say that the VN doesn't beat around the bush when it comes to potential death scenes and other mature content.
How does it compare with other horror stories? Saya, KnS, corpse party etc.

How extensive is the branching?
I haven't played those so couldn't tell you, but as for the branching, well, here's a flow chart someone created of the first chapter/character (there are some spoilers): Link , and the various outcomes in this one chapter affect how others play out (and the subsequent ones with the ones after too ofc).

Also, there's 172 chievos for the various paths,scenes and outcomes one can take, and after like three runs I only have 60 percent of 'em.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
How does it compare with other horror stories? Saya, KnS, corpse party etc.

How extensive is the branching?
I haven't played those so couldn't tell you, but as for the branching, well, here's a flow chart someone created of the first chapter/character (there are some spoilers): Link , and the various outcomes in this one chapter affect how others play out (and the subsequent ones with the ones after too ofc).

Also, there's 172 chievos for the various paths,scenes and outcomes one can take, and after like three runs I only have 60 percent of 'em.

How long is one run?

Valestein

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
Fair enough but what was it that interested you in the game? The premise (something bad happens to a group of characters in an isolated location) is textbook standard for the genre.
Prior to getting it, I watched a friend stream part of the first chapter and found the characters, the branching,etc compelling enough to try it out myself. That there was the steam summer sale going on helped too of course.

How long is one run?
20 or so hours I believe.

Last edited:

M. AQVILA

Arcane
The first that comes to mind is "Maji de watashi ni koishinasai!".
What's so special about it?

The characters are interesting, the setting is interesting, plenty of comedy and action and decent amount of interactivity. It's light-hearted so don't expect edginess or anything too deep.

Out of curiosity, what's the most interactive vn you played?
original YU-NO. It's basically a point-and-click adventure

I actually started playing that game two days ago. But yeah, it's more of an adventure game than a tradition VN though.

Theldaran

Liturgist
AI: Somnium Files > Detroit Become Human

Go Uchikoshi! If you let me down I swear I'm not buying anything from you again :shittydog:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom