Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pre-DLC Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

Kruno

Arcane
Patron
Village Idiot Zionist Agent Shitposter
Wasn't PoE1 at release also really easy? I only played it at release and dropped it, and it was easy just the same aside from Adra, so with the balancing patch that Sawyer promised some time in the near future, things might get better combat wise, but from trash encounters, PoE2 is a lot better now and hopefully that doesn't change.

Now all the encounters are trash encounters.

Self-Ejected

MajorMace

Self-Ejected
Patron
niggaz really see no difference between poe1 and poe2 in terms of encounter design
they're actually serious there, this isn't a troll
amazing

poe1 monsters didn't even have abilities at release, stacks were copy pasted ten times, you'd fight trolls and oozes everywhere and they were always simply laid out around wilderness maps randomly

here they have setups using the actual environment, mix of casters and fighters with prebuffs and actual AI scripting to retarget or swap spells, unique enemies with unique combat setup like Yseyr or Sea dragon, ranged enemies with a rogue kit who use rogue abilities to escape your frontliners and break engagement

it's just miles ahead even with all its problems and the complete lack of tuning dudes

Last edited:

Reinhardt

Arcane
When you play game second time plot holes are really easy to spot.
Like when i first met Dareo i can ask him for permission to meet Mad Morena. Problem is i never been in Deadlight and never before heard that name.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Like when i first met Dareo i can ask him for permission to meet Mad Morena. Problem is i never been in Deadlight and never before heard that name.

There was a similar thing in Fallout 1. When I first played it and went to the Hub, I was able to ask a random person about the Children of the Cathedral, but I had never heard of them before and was really confused. Not sure if you could ask about a specific person you've never heard of too, but I seem to recall something like that as well.

Self-Ejected

MajorMace

Self-Ejected
Patron
More of a broken dialogue than a plot hole there
the game is ridden with broken dialogues, you either see those you shouldn't, don't see those you should or completely break their original structure by completing stuff before meeting your interlocutor

Reinhardt

Arcane
Well, when i met Morena and finished her quest she said i should meet Aeldys. Maybe when i visit Deadlight for first time she will be here and we can talk like civilized persons.

Self-Ejected

Safav Hamon

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot The Real Fanboy
Despite being easy, I find the encounters in Deadfire cooler than the first game. All they need to do is tune the enemies.

Self-Ejected

MajorMace

Self-Ejected
Patron
Well, when i met Morena and finished her quest she said i should meet Aeldys. Maybe when i visit Deadlight for first time she will be here and we can talk like civilized persons.
Yeah, it's designed to let you meet aeldys via morena or the opposite
so there's no plot hole regarding the dialogue option you mentioned, I think it"s not even related to aeldys, but to the food shortage quest that you can start in the gullet immediatly

ps : these quests are super broken, I found myself stumbling upon undercroft randomly as I was searching the lost city
I didn't even know there was something down there
tekehu said some shit like if I understood the fuck he was talking about
can't get back up to the city because they brought the cage back up
pirates attacked on sight, had to stealth to the exit, delver's row attack on sight, go back to undercroft : finally, a dialogue option
I appreciate open quests like this, which span over several areas and characters, but they lack so much polish

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Obsidian tried to do all their marketing via social media and kickstarter updates. Let this be a lesson.
Well, not too many places they can go in a world where game journalism is irrelevant. The way they marketed it could have been better.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
They are broken because people think they should be able to do all the content, independent of how they aproach it.

Take the undercity for example, if you follow the quest line that takes you to the gullet, coming from the palace, with the queens brother quest to investigate, then it all works out fine... You go there, you talk around, find a way to the black market, find a way to doreo, he gives you the conch, you go down with the elevator, talk to the pirates, follow your contact to the undercity, find the other conch, then are able to explore the locked room.

If you go directly to the gullet, talk to the guard to let you down there, without the context of what you should be doing down there (lore about the lost island), barge into the pirates in a way that doesnt take you directly to their leader (fail to use stealth), then the entire thing feels incomplete.

Game is built with a particular order of content in mind, and it gives you cues to follow it, if you go mucking about out of that order, then some content might not work as intended.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member

you think that's bad

i killed morena then went to dereo who thanked me for bringing him a conch that i didnt have after which he gave me the directions to morena

ScrotumBroth

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
I've freed the source of power under the Watershapers Guild, the whole city is shaken, barely got on good terms with infuriated Queen... so I thought, let's bring Takehu in the party, see what he's got to say.

His only dialogue option:

Self-Ejected

Safav Hamon

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot The Real Fanboy
Quality negative reviews...

Annother Pillars of eternity, another AWFUL game !!!

Please Obsidian, why you an't understand ? ? ? 3D graphics please !!!! 2D painting pannels is too OLD !

Please !

Combats and adventures are perfects, BUT i cant play !!!! it's too awful ! "textures" are realy horrible, this technic is a bad choice, i can't understand......it's the same performance than full 3D game, (and wrost haha) and it's in 2D textured by a biiiig texture in very low res.

This is the weakest and most pointless iteration of an Infinity Engine style CRPG I've played. Thia is seriously disappointing, considering that POE1 + WM1/2 w. was the *best* since the original (Planescape: Torment)

Very disappointed. I loved the first game, but this one plain sucks. The view cannot be rotated, controls are very, emm, unfriendly. Battles happen all the time, and even on the easiest, storyteller, level, the enemies easily overwhelm just by numbers. Just wasted my 50 bucks. Divinity II is way more pleasant to play and satisfying.

$50 is a lot to pay for a game that looks/feels like it was made in 2004, then left in a drawer till now. The Deadfire story is actually very interesting, but it comes in short, cryptic bursts, surrounded by hours of inventory management, character tweaking and puttering around a world map that makes an SNES game look gorgeous. The reward for your time/money/work is a few short fights, which are an absolute hot mess of numbers and status effects. Your characters are either slaying dragons with ease or getting one-shoted by common thugs and you have no idea why, unless you've got an advanced degree in Boring Numbers & Way Too Many Skills

A step down from Pillars 1, in many ways. Like just about every other game developer out there, they decided to 'improve' the sequel by changing way too much stuff around. Evidently nobody ever told them, "Don't fix it if it ain't broke!" For my money, far too many game design choices, balancing choices, and features were changed from the (successful) first game & expansions - needlessly.

The downside, at least for me: this is not a 3D game! 2D background with 3D characters. Remember Baldur's Gate? After playing the Dragon Age series, Mass Effect series and The Witcher 3, I feel like being pulled back in the late 90s, early 00s. The beginning tutorial is almost useless: it does tell you how to do things... afterwards! Motion capture: non-existent. Voice acting is pretty good. Maybe a bit too theatrical to my taste but that's a style. As I said, I've not played PoE 1 so it might be a continuity. This game requires a lot, lot of reading.

Reinhardt

Arcane

you think that's bad

i killed morena then went to dereo who thanked me for bringing him a conch that i didnt have after which he gave me the directions to morena
At least you knew about someone named Morena.

Self-Ejected

MajorMace

Self-Ejected
Patron
They are broken because people think they should be able to do all the content, independent of how they aproach it.

Take the undercity for example, if you follow the quest line that takes you to the gullet, coming from the palace, with the queens brother quest to investigate, then it all works out fine... You go there, you talk around, find a way to the black market, find a way to doreo, he gives you the conch, you go down with the elevator, talk to the pirates, follow your contact to the undercity, find the other conch, then are able to explore the locked room.

If you go directly to the gullet, talk to the guard to let you down there, without the context of what you should be doing down there (lore about the lost island), barge into the pirates in a way that doesnt take you directly to their leader (fail to use stealth), then the entire thing feels incomplete.

Game is built with a particular order of content in mind, and it gives you cues to follow it, if you go mucking about out of that order, then some content might not work as intended.
I don't believe so. On several occasions, the game worked properly to have the npcs acknowledge that I'd complete their job before they even gave it to me. It needs confirmation, but I'd be quite surprised if it wasn't designed to be properly reactive to the actual quest status. There are a lot of dialogues here and there written in the same fashion "I already dealt with {this}" "Is this what you're talking about ?'
It's a common thing in these games.
Now it could be that they fucked it up and simply missed a lot of situations to cover, resulting in a lack of dialogues to fit the situation of the player, itself resulting in this seemingly broken scripts (when they would actually be incomplete from the start, by flawed design).

But as a general rule, the game surely didn't give me the idea that it was built around "proper routes" for its longer quests.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
I think all of the quests more complex than "go to x and kill y" that I've seen so far were broken one way or another. I don't even wanna know how big of a mess their scripting/coding must be.

Shadenuat

Arcane
Speaking of which, anyone knows a console command to close a bugged quest? The Harsh Medicine

Having it in the journal triggers me

aweigh

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Aren't you literally immortal on Story Mode? What do these people want? No combat at all? This is becoming a joke, a caricature of bad players.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom