Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Torment Torment: Tides of Numenera Thread

I was a fan of Noah but I've unsubscribed some months ago. To be honest I find him a decent reviewer, but I can't enjoy his reviews anymore.

When I look at a review, especially one analyzing a game, I demand that the reviewer divides the review itself in sections, each one answering a question or looking for a subject in particular.

To me Noah feels an uncoherent mess, he reads a script non stop while playing a game and I found it was hard to even think what was talked about in the review, like if it was a blurry mess linked to video duration.

At least I didn't donate him a single cent on patreon, because I was tempted very much.

Moth

Learned
For some morbid reason, while I wait for the novella I was supposed to receive three years ago, I've been looking at a couple of playthroughs of the game.

T:TON seems like a much more interesting game if you fail the majority of the effort checks.

CRD

Cipher
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
For some morbid reason, while I wait for the novella I was supposed to receive three years ago, I've been looking at a couple of playthroughs of the game.

T:TON seems like a much more interesting game if you fail the majority of the effort checks.
care to elaborate a bit the differences?

It's actually hard to pinpoint, why something is quality imagination and why something else is trash. Why Middle-Earth is exquisite while some third-rate fanfic wannabe world is cringy. Why PST is great while Numanuma crushingly average.

Art is sublime. True artists are rare.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
inXile must be running low on Wasteland 3 funds if they're desperate enough for a second free weekend accompanied by a deep discount.

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
The goal might be to capture price-sensitive players who start looking at PoE2 and are scared off?

DosBuster

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Codex USB, 2014
General lack of memorable moments

I think there are memorable moments it's just they're all in the walls of text! If they were actually represented in a better way than being shoved down your throat with a billion other words we'd be talking about them right now in glee.

drae

Augur
General lack of memorable moments

I think there are memorable moments it's just they're all in the walls of text! If they were actually represented in a better way than being shoved down your throat with a billion other words we'd be talking about them right now in glee.

There's nothing wrong with memorable moments being included in walls of text. If they're not coming across to the player then the words are bad, and that's part of the problem - many of the words are bad.

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
cvv
What's one of the most imaginative moments in Planescape?

A lot of things made a deep impression on me. Not that I remember it clearly, been years since I played last time, but the entire Lady of Pain sequence, a lot about the setting, the city of doors, most of the PCs and NPCs....

It's actually hard to pinpoint, why something is quality imagination and why something else is trash. Why Middle-Earth is exquisite while some third-rate fanfic wannabe world is cringy. Why PST is great while Numanuma crushingly average.

For me it was the total lack of a foothold on real-world sensibilities and impressive levels of tying everything into or supporting the narrative. Local or esoteric jargon and colloquialisms across factions or classes. In terms of actual gameplay supporting narrative and having the player participate in it. 20 hours in you are finding humour in something someone says using words you would not recognize without the very coherent context of the experience leading up to your reading it.

A lot of games do certain things better than PST but it was tops for consistency of direction there IMO.

Bohr

Arcane
Finally some praise for TTON :shittydog:

Congrats to Monte Cook Games :salute:

iA7W8K3Z_o.png

Zer0wing

Cipher
You sound dumb but it's still a legit issue. Planescape: Torment sets the scene and plays out the introduction way better, not assaulting the player with boredom and banality.

makchanka

Arbiter
I tried to get into it, but it made so many amateurish mistakes that I had to quit. Telling rather than showing (it's a fucking short story simulator), worse voice acting than TOEE, ugly overdone graphics, and the biggest sin--trying to sell a mediocre game on a much better game's reputation.

Seriously though, that voice acting was the worst. That one dude who glows and who thinks he's a hero or whatever omg. If I wanted to listen to nasally white dudes talk about how great they are at everything I'd just hang out at the local gamestop until some fat weeb inevitably shuffled over to awkwardly hit on me.

Curratum

I endured the writing and nonsensical, tedious exposition up to a point where I had to enter some ruins near the starting point. Ruins were infested by hostile flying robots or something. Repeatable crashing every time I enter. Gave up, tried playing after months and a new patch.

After the patch the robots were completely bugged and would not react to me at all. At this point I just sort of gave up and abandoned it. I can deal with either bugs or poor design, not both.

dragonul09

Arcane
Edgy
This one belongs in the trash along with PoE and Wastelands, the incoming age of incline, what a joke. I had more fun watching one of Clinton's campaign speech while she was coughing her lungs out and that's saying something.

Lujo

Augur
Picked it up at discount rate. It's... it's really bad. It looks very generic, feels very generic, and the ok-ish moments are kinda ok-ish at best, so far. I don't get folks complaining about the ammount of text, I've played plenty of stuff with more text in it, and less readable text to boot. The problem isn't even the technical quality of the text. It's the damned generic content. PST was good because whatever it was it wasn't "stock" anything (for the most part). There's just something so bland, generic and uninvolving about seemingly everything about this game.

Lujo

Augur
Doublepost and all that, but I get an overwhelming vibe of Baldurs Gate II from this game. That's what it rather consistently reminds me of. And for some reason I'm getting flashbacks of The Longest Journey, too.

EDIT: And wth is with the 40$+ price tag? Doesn't look like something worth 40$, especially when you consider how much kickstarter money went into it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom