Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Arkane PREY - Arkane's immersive coffee cup transformation sim - now with Mooncrash roguelike mode DLC

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
Guise, is there any way not to have the game's VO make my eardrums explode? It was already kinda wonky in the launch version, but the patched version made the volume levels truly unbearable. They really screwed something up in the audio mixing process, like inverting the low-pass curve or something. Already tried all suggestions but no luck.

Big Wrangle

Also, Ricardo Bare is the writer. Don't overcredit Avellone, he only did additional writing

ciox

Liturgist
Guess I was just waiting for some avellonian deconstruction of power growth an stuff like moment I eat one monsters become more aware of me or smh.
That's literally what is going to happen. You'll see.
Except it doesn't because the Nightmare is kind of a common enemy, psi or no psi. Try a psi only run and you'll see.

Shadenuat

Arcane
Cause of samey pacing and seemingly same setting, this game begins to feel... long. Not sure I can handle recycling more trash into shotgun ammo.

- Hey Morgan, good thinking. You doing this would help us backtrack to that backtracking we were backtracking all the time. Now you can bactrack there so you will be able to open that door to that backtracking part of a level you backtracked two hours ago.
- k.

Maybe going about it in a few sittings for a bit absurd amount of time as I have free days now burned me a bit. Like I think I maxed most of skills in Humanity already except bonus hp and stuff like that.

Last edited:

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
While I liked it my first time through, I think the game would be improved by removing every single recycling station.

Hines

Savant
Like I think I maxed most of skills in Humanity already except bonus hp and stuff like that.
The game balance in Prey is definitely broken. You go from being a little vulnerable in the first four hours immediately to an unstoppable alien killing machine for the remainder of the game. There's no middle ground. Though it's unlikely, as Bethesda will probably stick to their strategy of releasing standalone DLC's rather than supporting the base game, I wish Arkane could patch back in those survival features they cut a couple of months before launch, but since we're a year out, I'm guessing that ship has sailed.

:negative:

Last edited:

Hines

Savant
Along with a new DLC package, Prey got new achievements on STEAM:

Ddf4ZphVQAAhMNx.jpg:large

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
To be honest: I hate the entire Simulation gimmick. Let's say it was ok in the 1st game but if each new content will be a simulation then they can go fuck themselves.

Where is the fun in playing something when from the start you know that your choices don't matter at all!?

This is just Bethesda and its lack of imagination.

They probably like to think that it's an in-universe explanation for repeat playthroughs and all that, like the idea that you're not playing a "real" scenario but you're in some sort of Matrix-y situation will make it that much more immersive. It kinda just destroys any potential stakes and allows the devs to handwave weird crap as "You're in a computer durr hurr". To me, anyway, it seems like a case of the developers being too clever for their own good.

Ash

Arcane
He still has a valid point, you're less likely to invest in characters and their fate for example, and it's harder to get immersed in the overall experience when it's a simulation within a simulation (that's potentially two layers of suspension of disbelief to commit to), but where's the fun in the experience you ask? Well the gameplay for a start, or at least it's supposed to be. You some sort of storyfaggot?
In Prey there weren't many plot choices anyway. Murder or don't murder everyone in the cargo bay among a couple other minor things, or the branching main plot choices near the end when the game became boring as fuck anyways and as a result my immersion and investment in the game had already gone out the window.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Where is the fun in playing something when from the start you know that your choices don't matter at all!?
All video games are simulations. Your choices don't matter in any of them.

I know but at least the majority of them pretend that your choices do matter or at least they don't outright say "It's all a simulation! Fuck you and your choices! We are so smart."

Simulation and time travel are the only plot devices I cannot stand because they always cover for lack of narrative coherence: there is no reasonable limit on what can happen therefore anything will happen even it doesn't make sense. The authors don't need to be careful or invest energy in creating coherent worlds, they can throw any shit together because the main plot device covers all use cases: You want dinosaurs!? You want spaceships? You want a man born by himself? Travel back in time or simulate them. You get the point.

And look who is using it: not Deus Ex, not System Shock 2, not Thief but Assasin's Creed because the simulation plot device is perfect for yearly releases where the story doesn't matter. There is one exception to the rule: 12 Monkeys (but it can be dissected as well).

Besides like Ash was saying, I cannot invest emotionally in characters or their fate because if it is a simulation then I assume that the main character is sitting comfy in some chair and he is never in any danger because the simulation can always be ended at any time and especially when the protagonist is close to death. Hence there is no real danger but me, as a player, I must pretend that I'm in real danger. Complete garbage.

Think about the second half of Prey (which is bad) where most people lost motivation to do the motions: How many of them would have still play it until the end if they knew that it was all a simulation? Not many and that's the reason why they hid the fact that you are playing a simulation until the end scene cause this stupid plot device would have diminished the entire experience.

Also your argument is just a reduction ad absurdum. Yes, your in-game choices don't matter but playing certain games can have real life consequences starting from making you feel good or more drastically like choosing a career in game dev. Good game can do that, bad games cannot.

Last edited:

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
I wouldn't call the second half-bad so much as just... lack-luster. Like in System Shock 2, really: the second halves of both games seem so lazy and boring because the first halves are pretty damn amazing.

I rarely play the Rickenbacker section in SS2 for the same reason.

To be honest, I kind of have faith in this DLC/expansion. I am not sure what difference MCA made generally, the game is competently written and the trailer plays to the strengths rather than the weaker parts of Prey.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
To be honest, I kind of have faith in this DLC/expansion. I am not sure what difference MCA made generally, the game is competently written and the trailer plays to the strengths rather than the weaker parts of Prey.
What trailer?

conan_edw

Arbiter
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Pathfinder: Wrath
So apparently KasmaCorp account went back to be public and tweeted 2 new tweets
First one:

Which others noticed that it's the same as the helmet in Talos I lobby which is associated with 1963 Axiom program
The other one:

It has a Morse Code which literally say "june/10/2018". I hoped it was a hint to the release but it's probably just saying the conference date which they also did before with the group photo

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Free updates and modes to the base game, and the Moon DLC (consist of roguelite campaign and 5v1 multiplayer mode) is out: https://bethesda.net/en/article/6D4ML4WJVYgom2UcmOQ06G/prey-mooncrash-free-game-modes-digital-deluxe

As if an alien-infested space station wasn’t enough, players can now take the battle beyond Talos I with Mooncrash – a new DLC that sends players to a secret TranStar base and pits them against the Typhon aliens in an infinitely replayable rogue-like campaign.

Announced during the 2018 Bethesda E3 Showcase – and releasing tonight – Mooncrash delivers an exciting, fun new challenge that will put even the most skilled alien hunters to the test.

In Mooncrash, players take on the role of a hacker named Peter who’s stationed aboard a spy satellite tasked with intercepting TranStar communications. Shortly after the events of Prey, TranStar’s secret moon base stops transmitting – and now it’s up to Peter to find out why. Trapped on the station and bound by a ruthless contract with TranStar rival KASMA Corp, Peter’s only hope of seeing his family again is uncovering the moon base’s lost secrets. Against all odds, Peter must escape a TranStar base rife with enemies and hazards… with the goals – and loot – changing each time you play. The further you go, the better the loot – and the better your chances for survival in your next spin through Mooncrash.

Prey_MooncrashAnnounce_Command.jpg

Mooncrash is available in two formats. For players who already own the base game, Mooncrash is a standalone DLC out now for $19.99. New players can opt instead for Prey: Digital Deluxe, which includes the award-winning base game along with new Mooncrash DLC. Whichever option you choose, all players (including those who already own the base game) will get three free updates: Story Mode, for those looking to casually experience the game’s immersive narrative; Survival Mode, which will put your veteran cosmonaut to the test with hardcore hazards like oxygen levels and bleeding; and New Game +, which gives all players a whole new reason to return to Prey after they complete the game. All three modes were announced at the Showcase and are available to download tonight.

Prey_MooncrashAnnounce_Cutter.jpg

At the BE3 Showcase, Lead Designer Ricardo Bare and Production Director Susan Kath also announced the upcoming Typhon Hunter multiplayer update – a tense game of hide-and-seek between a single survivor and five other players who stalk, hunt and hide in plain sight as shape-shifting Mimic aliens. Typhon Hunter will release this summer as a free update to the Mooncrash DLC and Prey: Digital Deluxe. The Typhon Hunter update will also include several new VR modes. (Find out more about Bethesda’s VR plans here: New VR Experiences Revealed at BE3.)

For a full look at everything included in the Mooncrash DLC and Prey: Digital Deluxe, check out the infographic below.

All these updates have been crafted by the team at Arkane Studios to deliver even more of what Prey fans love about the award-winning game. “Like all Arkane games, Prey is about playing your own way, and Mooncrash is no exception,” Kath said.

“Thanks again to all our fans around the world who have played Prey and loved it,” Bare added. “We made this game for you, and we are constantly inspired by your creativity and enthusiasm.”

Prey_MooncrashAnnounce_PytheasLabs.jpg

MOONCRASHMANIA
We have one more announcement up our sleeve! A group of fantastic streamers will be playing Prey: Mooncrash all week, with one ultimate goal: Raise money for Astronomers Without Borders, a nonprofit organization that brings space education to those without easy access to schooling. On top of that, Bethesda is contributing a partial matching amount! $15,000 will be donated in the name of the streamer who beats Prey: Mooncrash first, and $15,000 will also be donated in the name of the streamer who beats it fastest. Curious about Prey: Mooncrash? In a giving mood? Check out the following streamers participating in #MooncrashMania:
CohhCarnage DansGaming Killer_Kitsune Starsnipe TayderT0t RadderssFats Scott Manley

Fight overwhelming odds to escape a secret TranStar moon base where the enemies you encounter, the hazards you face, the goals you complete, and the loot you collect are different each time you play. With changing environments as dangerous as they are dynamic, the Mooncrash campaign for Prey will offer a fun, infinitely replayable challenge to test even the most skilled players.

Story:
In Prey: Mooncrash, TranStar’s secret moon base stopped transmitting shortly after the events of Prey. Now Peter, a hacker stationed aboard a spy satellite tasked with intercepting TranStar communications, must find out why. Trapped and under a ruthless contract with KASMA Corp, Peter’s only hope of ever seeing his family again is uncovering the moon base’s lost secrets.

Features:
LiveDieAdaptEscape.jpg

Live. Die. Adapt. Escape!
Escape TranStar’s moon base before the Typhon threat takes over. A simple goal, but one with hundreds of viable solutions. In Mooncrash, players will experience an all-new, infinitely replayable, ‘rogue-lite’ campaign with ever-changing enemies, weapons and objectives against a constantly increasing alien threat.

Survivewith.jpg

Survive How You Want with Who You Want
Unlock multiple characters as you play, each with their own set of specialized, upgradable skills. Will you forge your path with the resourceful engineer Joan, trade that wrench in for Security Officer Bhatia and his shotgun, or will you choose the frail-but-gifted Andrius and his arsenal of psychic abilities? Prey is about choices, and those choices belong to you.

SearchforSecrets.jpg

Search for Secrets, Loot…and a Way Off
Arkane Studios’ talent for detail and story-rich environments comes alive in Mooncrash. As you explore the station, which is the same size and scope of four levels of the original game’s Talos I station, don’t forget to keep your eyes peeled for precious supplies – and, of course, Mimics.

newchallenges.jpg

New Challenges, New Solutions
The Typhon threat has returned with familiar foes and tough new enemies, each armed with a unique set of deadly characteristics. Use the full power of the arsenal at your disposal, including popular weapons and abilities from Prey’s main game, to fight for your life and make a mad dash for your escape.

TyphonHunterlogo.jpg

Prey: Typhon Hunter
Mooncrash also includes the upcoming Typhon Hunter multiplayer update, a tense game of hide and seek between a single survivor and five other players who stalk, hunt, and hide in plain sight as mimics. Typhon Hunter update is expected to release later this summer on all platforms.

RoSoDude

Arcane
Who cares, we FINALLY have our Survival Mode! For free! Alongside stupid New Game Plus to unbalance the difficulty curve but whatever! Trauma system! Limited oxygen in space! Weapon degradation and limited fabrication licenses, I think! Can anyone find some damn patch notes for this thing?

I'm so glad they finally went through with it, though. We'll have to see if it does enough to add the layer of depth and challenge that was missing from the game on release. Based on the mods I briefly played with some of this stuff re-enabled, I think it might, especially if Arkane can tune the balance right where those mods really didn't.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom