Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What things you like most in rpg's? Why?

Self-Ejected

Atlet

Self-Ejected
Vatnik
Do you prefer the sense of exploring a huge and misterious world? Or you are just a storyfag? I, i.e, like to build and develop characters. But tactis and strategy to overcome battles are importante too. And what about the choices and consequences we get in some games? Are they important to you?

All in all, why the urge to play these kind of games?

Do you think we should close topic and ban op?

The thread is yours. I am only the presenter. Make yourself confortable.

The Great ThunThun*

How DARE you!?
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Since you asked this, it will be quite an instructive exercise to answer it. There is a game called Thief. It is a semi open-world game. In the game, and it is a world that is really well designed and exploring it is pure joy, especially with the freedom and abilities the game gives you to interact with the environment. But it is not an RPG. This tells us that exploration is not a core mechanic of RPGs.

Then you can imagine playing another game called...Thief, where you have a fantastic storyline brought to life through seemingly unconnected events and dialogues as well as cutscenes. The setting and the storytelling is a masterpiece in gaming. But, Thief is not an RPG. Thus, neither storytelling or a setting are a core element of an RPG. Neither are well-designed characters. Interesting. We, through the process of elimination, are getting somewhere.

Then you play a game called Thief. You seem to have heard the name before. But never mind. It has a fantastic level design that allows for a variety of approaches. It has amazing reactivity where the enemy can hear you run around and look for you. Hmm. Still not an RPG. Looks like environmental reactivity does not an RPG make.

Then you play a game called Mask of the Betrayer. It has a lot of choice and consequences which actually change outcomes within the game so that they are not cosmetic only. Hmm. This seems like an RPG? Does it not? Maybe C&C is a part of RPGs. Let's add that to a tentative list.

You also come across a game called Expeditions conquistador, where you have to choose the defining attributes of the main character. And hey, its quite fun to try out different combinations! There is a variety of builds which alter the experience of the game and allow for different outcomes within the game! What fun! Maybe, character design is a defining element of RPGs too!

I think with these clues you come to a conclusion. Maybe games where you have a measure of control over how the character interacts with the world *and* (the logical kind) that interaction can change the outcome of the story within the game in some non-cosmetic manner, then the game is an RPG.

Now since these two aspects define an RPG, those are the once when done well, make me enjoy an RPG. Good C&C and deep character design.

Examples of great RPGs:

Age of Decadence
Deus Ex
Mask of Betrayer
Planescape Torment
Expeditions Conquistador
Jagged Alliance
XCOM
Arcanum
Blackguards

Strap Yourselves In Codex+ Now Streaming!
What first drew me into RPGs was the "world-structure" as opposed to linear level progression I knew from other games.
My first RPG as a kid was DSA 3 Shadows over Riva. I can decide myself when and where to go? Talk with people and look for clues on my own? Explore a nearby forest or go to the city and find a cozzy tavern? Go to the market and buy supplies for an upcoming journey? I was blown away.

I think ultimately, this is still what really keeps me hooked on RPGs. Never been to much of a system or combatfag, although I enjoy that too!
But I enjoy the "roaming" aspect the most. That's why I always prefered RPGs that give you a big world to explore and where the story is basically a scavenger hunt - Fallout, the DSA Trilogy, Might&Magic....Through the scavenger hunt, the world and the exploration aspect become part of the story, rather than being something you're doing on the side when not following the linear main plot (Oblivion etc...)

Last edited:

Ocelot

Learned
Develop and roleplay as a character of my liking, fuck things up to see where they'll go, make choices that have lasting consequences and explore an interesting world.

There are a lot of things I like in RPGs and one thing I really hate, which is doing things optimally.

DexRiwus

Novice
Since you asked this, it will be quite an instructive exercise to answer it. There is a game called Thief. It is a semi open-world game. In the game, and it is a world that is really well designed and exploring it is pure joy, especially with the freedom and abilities the game gives you to interact with the environment. But it is not an RPG. This tells us that exploration is not a core mechanic of RPGs.

Then you can imagine playing another game called...Thief, where you have a fantastic storyline brought to life through seemingly unconnected events and dialogues as well as cutscenes. The setting and the storytelling is a masterpiece in gaming. But, Thief is not an RPG. Thus, neither storytelling or a setting are a core element of an RPG. Neither are well-designed characters. Interesting. We, through the process of elimination, are getting somewhere.

Then you play a game called Thief. You seem to have heard the name before. But never mind. It has a fantastic level design that allows for a variety of approaches. It has amazing reactivity where the enemy can hear you run around and look for you. Hmm. Still not an RPG. Looks like environmental reactivity does not an RPG make.

Then you play a game called Mask of the Betrayer. It has a lot of choice and consequences which actually change outcomes within the game so that they are not cosmetic only. Hmm. This seems like an RPG? Does it not? Maybe C&C is a part of RPGs. Let's add that to a tentative list.

You also come across a game called Expeditions conquistador, where you have to choose the defining attributes of the main character. And hey, its quite fun to try out different combinations! There is a variety of builds which alter the experience of the game and allow for different outcomes within the game! What fun! Maybe, character design is a defining element of RPGs too!

I think with these clues you come to a conclusion. Maybe games where you have a measure of control over how the character interacts with the world *and* (the logical kind) that interaction can change the outcome of the story within the game in some non-cosmetic manner, then the game is an RPG.

Now since these two aspects define an RPG, those are the once when done well, make me enjoy an RPG. Good C&C and deep character design.

Examples of great RPGs:

Age of Decadence
Deus Ex
Mask of Betrayer
Planescape Torment
Expeditions Conquistador
Jagged Alliance
XCOM
Arcanum
Blackguards

But by that logic games like Heavy Rain, Stanley Parable, Silent Hill, Until Dawn are RPGs as well, which i am certain they are not.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
LjgmAwc.png

H3P1aVd.png

hTxWDLX.png

The Masterless Knight, Salt & Sanctuary (2016)

PhantasmaNL

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria
Interesting and (very) complicated mechanics.

A lot of stats, even more skills, derived stats or more general, a METRIC TON of numbers. The whole system should be intimidating at first.

A player should be tempted to deviate from the obvious routes and experiment in character development. Throw away or extremely situational skills or feats are a definite must. There must be the possibility of making errors in that respect, while at the same time not catastrophically so.

Unfortunately the trend in RPGs is reverse.

I am waiting for the RPG with only 1 skill, named "Skill" and 1 action button, conveniently labeled, "Kill".

Zanzoken

Arcane
Taking a blank slate character and molding it into whatever you want. Experimenting with different builds and aesthetics. If you can roll a whole party from scratch -- even better!

Good encounter design that pushes the limits of your characters and you as a player.

Also progression, reactivity, and C&C. Meaning the game world should change and respond to the things you are doing in a believable and satisfying way.

DraQ

Arcane
Do you prefer the sense of exploring a huge and misterious world? Or you are just a storyfag? I, i.e, like to build and develop characters. But tactis and strategy to overcome battles are importante too. And what about the choices and consequences we get in some games? Are they important to you?

All in all, why the urge to play these kind of games?

Do you think we should close topic and ban op?

The thread is yours. I am only the presenter. Make yourself confortable.
I am very much into exploration and won't object to actually good story or say no to tactical combat either. However you don't need an RPG for any of those.

The main strength of RPGs are that both narrative and gameplay adapt to character build and player's decisions - or at least fucking should.

DexRiwus

Novice
But by that logic games like Heavy Rain, Stanley Parable, Silent Hill, Until Dawn are RPGs as well, which i am certain they are not.

How so?

You can affect how your character interacts with the world and it affects story in some way in those game (ex. If you miss clues as agent in Heavy Rain he retires, if you collect them all he finds the killer, you can shoot civilian or talk to him etc. Shit game, but it has some good C&C), so either two points you listed above are not actually defining traits (or maybe they are but there is more than two of them) of RPGs or games i've listed are rpgs.

LordofSyn

Scholar
Want to play a real RPG?
Get some friends together, get a tabletop game you all can enjoy and play.

Anyone who thinks a video game RPG can match a tabletop system are sorely mistaken. Most of the vg rpgs made are adaptations of tabletop games and there are a handful which come close to matching the same level of freedom but still fall short for one reason.

Your creative imagination has no budget. RPGs are about suspension of disbelief and stepping into the role of a character in a world that everyone at the table helps develop.

Your character may not save the world and probably won't even save themselves, but as long as everyone is having fun, the story will live longer in your memories than nearly any scene in a video game.

Sent from my LGLS996 using Tapatalk

Entering a world which intrigues and challenges you in different ways (story, gameplay…), so that you strive to explore, learn the rules and end up feeling like a part of it. Exploration, story and combat can all contribute to this, so I value them all. I don't care as much about personalisation and C&C, although they can add depth and originality to the experience, for sure. However, music is very important to me, and I also like quirky humour, which is probably why Fallout 1, Divine Divinity and, above all, Vampire Bloodlines stand as my all-time favourites, along with Baldur’s Gate 2 for its mage duels.

DexRiwus

Novice

How so?

You can affect how your character interacts with the world and it affects story in some way in those game (ex. If you miss clues as agent in Heavy Rain he retires, if you collect them all he finds the killer, you can shoot civilian or talk to him etc. Shit game, but it has some good C&C), so either two points you listed above are not actually defining traits (or maybe they are but there is more than two of them) of RPGs or games i've listed are rpgs.

You have only one *way* in which the character interacts with the world and it has an on/off state. I.e. you choose to explore thoroughly or not. All games have that. RPGs are special in the way you can choose *means* to do so. So just not doing something with what you are given does not make an RPG. With that idea otherwise Thief would be an RPG.
So following your train of though- when you do something in RPG, you are not doing something else in RPG, therefore RPG is not an RPG?

mihai

Educated
Full party character creation. Sperging about class swiching and party synergies even before beginning the adventure. The constant switching between exploration, combat, inventory optimization, party development, resource management and story. That's it.

Freddie

Savant
cRGP's combine elements like no other genre does. There are mechanics, choices, exploration, strategy, story for example. Also different settings to choose from. You can also find a game with different mood or tone, so to say. There doesn't appear to be many games based on Urban Fantasy or other other modern day settings though.

I'm not going to elaborate each element. Many walls of text has been and will be written in Codex about them. Instead in the end the result can be dreamers game or thinking man's game and sometimes even in one and the same box. One approach can be for people who like settings and story a lot and other about trying different builds, some take middle of the road approach. Replay value can be huge.

cRPG with driving physics like Gran Turismo, or Grand Prix Legends could be made, though there is very little reason to do so. So in the end, potentially cRPG IMO still is the ultimate genre.

frajaq

Erudite
Deep character customization, from pure mechanic stuff like stats/skills AND fluff backstory that comes into the story from time to time

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom