Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software The Dark Souls Discussion Thread

Arnust

Savant

can't believe a (relatively) big name youtuber made such a negative video. hopefully more join the fray!

It's strange how he doesn't discuss that matchmaking is barely functional in the old PC version, unless I missed it. That alone is going to be worth the upgrade for me.

"Upgrade" Do you also call getting fixed two broken legs an "upgrade"? And anyway, the DSCM mod does the job more than fine.

sullynathan

Arcane

can't believe a (relatively) big name youtuber made such a negative video. hopefully more join the fray!

It's strange how he doesn't discuss that matchmaking is barely functional in the old PC version, unless I missed it. That alone is going to be worth the upgrade for me.

"Upgrade" Do you also call getting fixed two broken legs an "upgrade"? And anyway, the DSCM mod does the job more than fine.

"Don't worry, mods will fix it"

L'Montes

Educated
OG Dark Souls launched with GFWL, and was only unshackled from that later.

The remaster will run through Namco matchmaking like 2/3 I'd imagine. So, "mods will fix it" may not apply for online issues. Or rather, "mods will break it" might, since there was some inconsistency about getting softbanned for running mods (visual or otherwise) that weren't cheats.

Also, as far as DSFix "fixing" Blighttown, that Digital Foundry video includes a segment showing framerate drops in the old DSFix augmented build on a modern PC just aiming for 1080p/60 that aren't present in the PS4 builds. DSFix is great, but it wasn't a perfect solution to poorly coded elements. And for the people that salty-Mcbutthurt about people possibly buying newer version for a larger community, and thinking about holding onto the great community in old PC... remember you literally can't buy old PC Dark Souls anymore. It doesn't exist - delisted. That community will only get smaller over time.

So, you're left with imperfect solutions here.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
DS3 matchmaking runs through Namco too and a week after launch hackorz were so widespread I had to pull my cord coz some idiot kept invading and teleporting me around. Then I found it was the smartest solution since people who didn't do it were shadowbanned for illegal items (smuggled onto their account by hackorz).

Yeah, I'm sure the Remaster online system will be up to Namco's standards of robustness.

Akratus

Self-loathing fascist drunken misogynist asshole
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Doing a playthrough of Dark Souls 1 with a str build using a zweihander, no magic, pyromancy or ranged stuff. Here's my kill list so far:
v asylum demon
v taurus demon
v bell gargoyles
v capra demon
v ceaseless dis.
v quelaag
v gaping dragon
v moonlight btrf.
v pinwheel
v havel
v undead dragon
v iron golem
v stray demon
v ornstein & smough
seath
sif
gwyndolin
nito
priscilla
four kings
centipede demon
bed of chaos
demon firesage
gwyn

sanctuary guardian
Kalameet
artorias
Manus
Any (mini)bosses I missed?

Atomkilla

Arcane
Doing a playthrough of Dark Souls 1 with a str build using a zweihander, no magic, pyromancy or ranged stuff. Here's my kill list so far:
v asylum demon
v taurus demon
v bell gargoyles
v capra demon
v ceaseless dis.
v quelaag
v gaping dragon
v moonlight btrf.
v pinwheel
v havel
v undead dragon
v iron golem
v stray demon
v ornstein & smough
seath
sif
gwyndolin
nito
priscilla
four kings
centipede demon
bed of chaos
demon firesage
gwyn

sanctuary guardian
Kalameet
artorias
Manus
Any (mini)bosses I missed?

Darkroot Garden Hydra. One in Ash Lake too.
But I guess you actually killed the first one already, just didn't list it.

Akratus

Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Yeah, yeah of course I didn't skip the Hydra, yeah. Or the bridge dragon.

Also I gotta say, I'm using the mouse and keyboard. Never was one for controllers. And just beat Sif and upgraded my Zweihander to +13.

RoSoDude

Arcane

Also I gotta say, I'm using the mouse and keyboard. Never was one for controllers. And just beat Sif and upgraded my Zweihander to +13.

Are you using the mousefix included in the Dark Souls Input Customizer mod? If not, you're missing out; it's true mouse injection with no mouse acceleration, menus are reworked to work with the mouse, etc. Basically how the game should have shipped originally.

Atomkilla

Arcane
I never could play DS with mouse and keyboard. When I initially added mousefix it didn't work properly, so I just plugged in my controller with x360ce. Never looked back.
I tried playing once with kb+m at my friend's, and it just didn't feel right anymore.

Akratus

Patron

Are you using the mousefix included in the Dark Souls Input Customizer mod? If not, you're missing out; it's true mouse injection with no mouse acceleration, menus are reworked to work with the mouse, etc. Basically how the game should have shipped originally.
It's impossible without it, I'd say.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
I heard the remastered version's "dedicated servers" are shit in the network test.

praetor

Arcane
I heard the remastered version's "dedicated servers" are shit in the network test.

because people don't understand what "dedicated servers" means (in this context). no Soulsborne game ever had nor will it ever have proper dedicated servers. the only thing those "dedicated servers" do is matchmaking and the hosting of messages (and iirc even bloodstains and player ghosts?). the actual playing of the game always was and always will be P2P

praetor

Arcane
just started playing Prepare to Die Again + Rekindled... really nice, definitely recommended for veterans (i'm only up to the Gargoyles, and the changes are enough to throw you off so you can't rush like a madman, but not ott to make it a clusterfuck. and the different item placements are also good and sensible, they don't feel like an amateur modder random nonsense). this is what the Remastered should've been.

save your money, fuck the remastered, and play this instead.

Akratus

Patron
Updated kill list:
v asylum demon
v taurus demon
v bell gargoyles
v capra demon
v ceaseless dis.
v quelaag
v gaping dragon
v moonlight btrf.
v pinwheel
v havel
v undead dragon
v iron golem
v stray demon
v ornstein & smough
v sif
v hellkite drake
v darkroot hydra
v four kings
ash lake hydra
painted world dragon
seath
gwyndolin
nito
priscilla
centipede demon
bed of chaos
demon firesage
gwyn

sanctuary guardian
Kalameet
artorias
Manus

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
If you're counting red phantoms / non respawnable enemies, you also have

Fanged Boar (Parish)
2 x Fanged Boar (Duke's Archives)
Paladin Leeroy (Invader)
3 x Kirk (Invader)
Lautrec (Quest)
Hollowed Crestfallen adventurer (New Londo)
Mimics (Sen's Fortress, 3 in Anor Londo, 1 in Duke's Archives, I forgot the rest)
Titanite Demons (Parish, 4 at sen's fortress, Anor Londo, Catacombs. The one in Lost Izalith respawns, so it doesn't count)
2 Giants at Sen's Forteress
Butcher bitch at Blighttown (Invader)
Havel (Undead Burg)
Channeler (Parish and Depths)
Penis hat pyromancer (Painted World Invader)
Black Knights (Burg, Parish, Tomb of Giants, Forest, catacombs)
Necromancers (catacombs. Like 5 I think)

Atomkilla

Arcane

Fanged Boar (Parish)
Paladin Leeroy (Invader)
3 x Kirk (Invader)
Lautrec (Quest)
Mimics (Sen's Fortress, 3 in Anor Londo, 1 in Duke's Archives, I forgot the rest)
Titanite Demons (Parish, 4 at sen's fortress, Anor Londo, Catacombs. The one in Lost Izalith respawns, so it doesn't count)
Havel (Undead Burg)

I guess you could also add two Gargoyles in Anor Londo which don't respawn.
Also, does dark Anor Londo have unique invaders? I can't recall.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
just started playing Prepare to Die Again + Rekindled... really nice, definitely recommended for veterans (i'm only up to the Gargoyles, and the changes are enough to throw you off so you can't rush like a madman, but not ott to make it a clusterfuck. and the different item placements are also good and sensible, they don't feel like an amateur modder random nonsense). this is what the Remastered should've been.

save your money, fuck the remastered, and play this instead.

why not just replay Dark Souls 2?

:troll:

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane

Fanged Boar (Parish)
Paladin Leeroy (Invader)
3 x Kirk (Invader)
Lautrec (Quest)
Havel (Undead Burg)

I guess you could also add two Gargoyles in Anor Londo which don't respawn.
Also, does dark Anor Londo have unique invaders? I can't recall.

It doesn't have invaders (that I recall, at least), but it does have those trio of NPCs who attack you if you try to leave the cathedral (is it a cathedral? Or is it a palace?). You can easily avoid them by warping though.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom