Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Chris Avellone Appreciation Station

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
No body shot,no affirmation!
22860348_1980994218787504_7121177010809864192_n.jpg

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
In other news, the Avellones are enjoying God of Soy (and now we know why he was absent from the big thread last night/this morning; interesting "date night")

Chris, I'm sorry for what happened between you and Obsidian. I wish you the best on your next endeavours, hope you find a good working place where you can realize yourself and feel at home.

Developer
Chris you worked on IWD1 right? Do you remember who wrote Tiernon's speech about greatness of ice as weapon material?

Yes, I did, that was Heart of Winter (I wrote the Seer, Tiernon, and some of the characters in Lonelywood - esp. Hailee Dunn).

I also wrote the Tiernon short story that appeared a year or two ago way back during IWD1 and Wizards was willing to publish now, which was nice of them - it tells how he came to the Gloomfrost.

Beastro

Arcane
Nah
inter_beth_team.jpg

Kirkbride in the front there looks like an asshole, definitely the kind of guy who'd buy.

Who's the lead singer of Wang Chun looking dude next to Todd?

holy shit chris was george costanza Ben Stein's Money Era Jimmy Kimmel

ftfy

I do know these Josh facts though. He was a thin kid who gained all that weight in college on account of being a junk-eating slacker. He has a particular fondness for jellybeans, and while reaffirming this info, I stumbled upon this:

I knew there was something vile and irredeemable about him.

have you noticed? the more weight sawyer gains the more nice he is.

I wonder how obsessed he is with how good or bad kids have been.

Right, not sure what I was doing last night, but this was saved in new post window in my browser.

15147144264790.png

:hmmm:

Last edited:

Mikeal

Arcane
Yes, I did, that was Heart of Winter (I wrote the Seer, Tiernon, and some of the characters in Lonelywood - esp. Hailee Dunn).

I also wrote the Tiernon short story that appeared a year or two ago way back during IWD1 and Wizards was willing to publish now, which was nice of them - it tells how he came to the Gloomfrost.

Thanks, here's another question. How did you come up with idea of ice as weapon material? In other works ice would be a WM because of some old magical battle or because ice was made of blood of some old powerful, mythological creature. Tiernon's speech about ice remembering all the storms that passaged trough him or like ice run away to north to hide from sun, was amazing, sounding like something from myths and legends.

Developer
Thanks, here's another question. How did you come up with idea of ice as weapon material? In other works ice would be a WM because of some old magical battle or because ice was made of blood of some old powerful, mythological creature. Tiernon's speech about ice remembering all the storms that passaged trough him or like ice run away to north to hide from sun, was amazing, sounding like something from myths and legends.

I enjoyed writing Tiernon very much, and I chose ice because of the game's theme (it also seemed a nice thematic echo for not just the game, but an echo of the antagonist's raw power).

One of my other favorite parts of writing IWD was writing the Holy Avenger backstory, too.

Fairfax

Arcane
EGM's cover story about KOTOR2, with several quotes by MCA:

The cover was the piece by Brian Menze that gave birth to Nihilus with a face:

For those who didn't see my post in the interview thread, here's what MCA said about the face in an interview about KOTOR2 and the KOTOR3 pitch: (which is also worth reading)
Don't call Darth Nihilus "the face" of KOTOR2 around Chris Avellone, though. He doesn't like that. "One pet peeve I've always had about the Nihilus [art] that sometimes people use is there was never intended to be any hint of what was beyond the mask, so every time I see the Nihilus picture and there's the outline of his nose behind the mask, I freak out! It's supposed to be a void - that's the metaphor of what he is, so it drives me crazy when they try and imply that he's human."

A small voice, that of lead concept artist Brian Menze, interjects. He drew that nose for a magazine cover way back when. "Chris didn't like it but he went soft on me that day and let it go," he says. "I wish he would have stopped me because we probably wouldn't be in this predicament any more if he had." Nevertheless, Menze earned lasting prestige by creating Nihilus, a concept created and greenlit in all of 15 minutes. "That character has gone on to be bigger than the game we created, and I'm very thankful for that."

Sentinel

Arcane
That atris/nihilus art is so good. Makes me wish there were unending books of artwork for KotOR2 like that. Were both done by Menze?

Cael

Arcane

There is at least 2 instances of ice weapons before IWD came about that I am aware of.

One was an ice short sword in the old game Demon's Winter.

Another was in Book 53(?) of the Fighting Fantasy game book series. I think it was called Tower of Destruction or something similar. In it, you can get an ice sword forged for you by the ghost of an ice elf smith to help fight the demon involved with the tower.

There is not enough weird and wonderful items in today's literature. People expect too much logic and real life insertions in settings where throwing fireballs or killing things with your mind is an every day occurrence...

Fairfax

Arcane
That atris/nihilus art is so good. Makes me wish there were unending books of artwork for KotOR2 like that. Were both done by Menze?
I believe it was. AFAIK all KOTOR2 promo art was made by Brian Menze.

His deviantart page has some of them, including the original Atton Rand design, which I like more than the one in the game:

Went looking for more and found

Don't think I'd seen this one yet. Is this confrontation cut content?
None of the known cut content has or mentions a confrontation between the two. I think it was just for the aesthetic.

Generic-Giant-Spider

I don't know shit about Star Wars, never had much care for it, but Nihilus is one of the coolest looking designs I've ever seen especially in a franchise that I personally think has a lot of corny looking characters.

Besides Harrison Ford, because Harrison Ford is a mountain of manliness.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom