Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pre-DLC Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

Trashos

Arcane
What about scrolls...? Can I use scrolls?

Make absolutely sure you buy the Protection from Magic scrolls and combine them with Simulacrum.

Or maybe not.

Self-Ejected

MajorMace

Self-Ejected
Patron
So that priest of berath

he wanna be a deathguard, i can respect a man of ambition
at some point he disappears from the temple
i tried to come back several times but nothing ever fucking happens, i even checked the sepulchers once

any news ?

Also I sent the death godlike slave to the temple of berath and he just wasn't there.
More bugs/unfinished stuff.

Sòren

Arcane
Yeah, read that thread, and you are right, not much info to be found there.

I mean, with brushed aside I was expecting huge changes in culture and religion, maybe wars because of it, but hardly anything is mentioned about it. And sure, kith are taking control of their own faith, somewhat at least, but it still feels very religiously considering there is still the whole soul aspect, and well, an actual god had to give up his powers for the kith to be able to take control in the first place.

sure, there's not much discourse taking place in the game, because it is written by.... simple minded people, to put it this way. but there is little reason to interpret the souls aspect as something religious or spiritual, it is just part of the natural order of the world (in this game), a fact that doesn't need any faith since it is happening right before your eyes, like ghosts and memories of past lives - it is measurable in a scientific sense and not something that the "gods" created themselves but something that they used to their advantage. the wheel itself is not something that needed a god to destroy it since it is something very material, not something that is out of the reach of - let's say - galleon cannons or any other explosive. some western interpretations of Buddha don't paint him like someone who believed in gods beyond the processes of death and reincarnation, but someone who thought the "universe" acted in this way - in a physical sense - and someone who sought to escape it.

jf8350143

Liturgist
So on one hand, Deadfire is not hard enough because "I don't have to use all those consumables and special spells etc because the game is too easy".

On the other hand if you use these things it makes you a casual gamer that cheese through the game?

Matticus

Educated
I personally thought BG had the best type of scroll/mage mechanics. Transcribe to have in spellbook, otherwise can't learn spells innately through leveling. Can use protection scrolls only with high INT and can't use arcane scrolls without being a mage. I play pillars as if those rules were still true.

Self-Ejected

Safav Hamon

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot The Real Fanboy
Btw, i'm 45 hours in, did almost all side content, all Neketaka, explored all map, there's only critical path and few side quests left.

I think that with all 3 DLCs to fill the map more this game will be great and on par with BG2.

I'd like to hear from someone that isn't blinded by nolstalgia why Baldurs Gate II is on another level than Deadfire. To me it perfectly emulates the best elements (city exploration, encounter design, interesting sidequests, ect.) while adding positive elements in the form of reactivity, non-linear quest design, choice and consequence, and modern graphics and animations. It's actually funny watching people glorify Baldurs Gate II's writing and nitpick reasons why its combat is so much better, while conveniently leaving out all the ways AD&D was messed up.

For me it's already on the same level as Baldurs Gate II. I can't even imagine how great this game will be with more patches and content.

Last edited:

Sentinel

Arcane
By the way this game is so great that you're on the Codex posting about how great it is, trying to convince everyone, instead of playing it.

Hi Mikey!

Sherry

Arcane
Ado!

gosh. Gosh. GOSH! What. A. Journey!

Holy! This has been something else entirely for all of us who are always on the lookout for games that provide hours of story and adventure across new lands, with new party members, with an awesome story. DEADFIRE delivers in waves.

I cannot say enough about how much fun it has been to dwell in this world of imagination as we delve into the vast archipelago made available to us. In the 23 hours I have had a chance to play, there have been lots of laughs and tonight I finally reached Neketaka and all the detail I have come across is spectacular! Okay, so I imported a game from Pillars of Eternity into DEADFIRE before staring off but with all that happened in the events leading up to Pillars of Eternity my character's hair turned partial white, became hunched in her appearance, and nibbles her lower lip until it bleeds. Her dying in Caed Nua did not bode well with her soul, and it shifted her to fit the new role-playing we have been doing since washing up on shore!

So I lost Pumpkin my tabby cat from Pillars of Eternity when Caed Nua was destroyed, so that is a really big loss for my character but maybe she too has a life left and Pumpkin will surface during my new adventures across the archipelago. Nothing as of yet to share. With her death in Caed Nua and how it changed her, my character's mind became wild and confused being brought back, and because of this, and the nibbling of her lower lip to taste blood, she is now a Barbarian (Corpse Eater) / Cipher (Soul Blade). It really has shifted her personality too in the conversation options made available so she has become warped by the experience making role-playing her a lot more fun and with some background to make her become a Witch! She also has a painted face in memory of Sagani who taught her so much during her adventure in Pillars of Eternity so that changed too.

Leslie (Vela because I renamed my new Orlan daughter), is super cute and fun to have around. Guess if there is anything truly to complain about, it would be renaming my ship to Sherry and it not being flipped in conversations or the story drawings that mention its name. That stinks because the game should recognize the new name of my ship and change it during conversations and drawn story choices but instead it still reads as The Defiant so wtf is up with that right? Already during the game there is conversation that says where my character is from The White That Wends but does not say that during the voice over probably because it cost too much to determine all the different variables and voice lines required so then why do they have recorded voices saying The Defiant everywhere when you can rename your ship it should just be silent for the name but voiced for everything after it.

Would love to learn about your caharatcer transition from Pillars to DEADFIRE and how your experience made you multi-class or remain as a single class, and why?

Agracima,
Sherry

Last edited:

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
By the way this game is so great that you're on the Codex posting about how great it is, trying to convince everyone, instead of playing it.

Hi Mikey!
Because he played it a hundred times during development.

Btw, i'm 45 hours in, did almost all side content, all Neketaka, explored all map, there's only critical path and few side quests left.

I think that with all 3 DLCs to fill the map more this game will be great and on par with BG2.

I'd like to hear from someone that isn't blinded by nolstalgia why Baldurs Gate II is on another level than Deadfire. To me it perfectly emulates the best elements (city exploration, encounter design, interesting sidequests, ect.) while adding positive elements in the form of reactivity, non-linear quest design, choice and consequence, and modern graphics and animations. It's actually funny watching people glorify Baldurs Gate II's writing and nitpick reasons why its combat is so much better, while conveniently leaving out all the ways AD&D was messed up.

For me it's already on the same level as Baldurs Gate II. I can't even imagine how great this game will be with more patches and content.
Only accurate things about deadfire in your post are city exploration,modern graphics and animations.

Self-Ejected

MajorMace

Self-Ejected
Patron
getting real tired of your shit sherry
where were you these last days even
you think you can ghost out and simply hop in the thread and spread bliss and positivity ? what now you'll disappear again for a month or two ?
you think we're just toys to be handled and tossed away at your convenience ? disposable drones whose only purpose is to help you harvest more friendly ratings than the rest of the codex united ?
you think you can break our hearts and not even sweep their shards and dust away ?

:negative:

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
getting real tired of your shit sherry
where were you these last days even
you think you can ghost out and simply hop in the thread and spread bliss and positivity ? what now you'll disappear again for a month or two ?
you think we're just toys to be handled and tossed away at your convenience ? disposable drones whose only purpose is to help you harvest more friendly ratings than the rest of the codex united ?
you think you can break our hearts and not even sweep their shards and dust away ?

:negative:
Don't persuade Aloth to become fully Iselmyr. We need Infinitron to post news,leave it be as it is ;).

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Only accurate things about deadfire in your post are city exploration,modern graphics and animations.

So we both agree that Neketaka is amazing?
I never said anything contrary to this. The first 20 hours are pretty good mainly because of the island capital. The quests and the writing are meh,but the city is more than the sum of its parts. Anything connected with the gulag is pretty good.

2house2fly

Magister
Ado!

gosh. Gosh. GOSH! What. A. Journey!

Holy! This has been something else entirely for all of us who are always on the lookout for games that provide hours of story and adventure across new lands, with new party members, with an awesome story. DEADFIRE delivers in waves.

I cannot say enough about how much fun it has been to dwell in this world of imagination as we delve into the vast archipelago made available to us. In the 23 hours I have had a chance to play, there have been lots of laughs and tonight I finally reached Nekata and all the detail I have come across is spectacular! Okay, so I imported a game from Pillars of Eternity into DEADFIRE before staring off but with all that happened in the events leading up to Pillars of Eternity my character's hair turned partial white, became hunched in her appearance, and nibbles her lower lip until it bleeds. Her dying in Caed Nua did not bode well with her soul, and it shifted her to fit the new role-playing we have been doing since washing up on shore!

So I lost Pumpkin my tabby cat from Pillars of Eternity when Caed Nua was destroyed, so that is a really big loss for my character but maybe she too has a life left and Pumpkin will surface during my new adventures across the archipelago. Nothing as of yet to share. With her death in Caed Nua and how it changed her, my character's mind became wild and confused being brought back, and because of this, and the nibbling of her lower lip to taste blood, she is now a Barbarian (Corpse Eater) / Cipher (Soul Blade). It really has shifted her personality too in the conversation options made available so she has become warped by the experience making role-playing her a lot more fun and with some background to make her become a Witch! She also has a painted face in memory of Sagani who taught her so much during her adventure in Pillars of Eternity so that changed too.

Leslie (Vela because I renamed my new Orlan daughter), is super cute and fun to have around. Guess if there is anything truly to complain about, it would be renaming my ship to Sherry and it not being flipped in conversations or the story drawings that mention its name. That stinks because the game should recognize the new name of my ship and change it during conversations and drawn story choices but instead it still reads as The Defiant so wtf is up with that right? Already during the game there is conversation that says where my character is from The White That Wends but does not say that during the voice over probably because it cost too much to determine all the different variables and voice lines required so then why do they have recorded voices saying The Defiant everywhere when you can rename your ship it should just be silent for the name but voiced for everything after it.

Would love to learn about your caharatcer transition from Pillars to DEADFIRE and how your experience made you multi-class or remain as a single class, and why?

Agracima,
Sherry
Excellent story, Sherry. For myself, my character is Promethea, a female elven wizard who hails from Rauatai. She thirsts insatiably for knowledge (I found that this character trait dovetailed nicely with the first game's theme of the quest for knowledge invariably being frustrated) and I make a point of always selecting the dialogue option that is a question if one is available. She is more interested in the acquisition of knowledge than its dissemination, so at the end of the game she considers herself privileged to have the extremely rare knowledge of the true nature of the Gods, and felt no need to share it with anyone. In the first game she became close friends with Zahua, whose quest for enlightment via suffering mirrored her own suffering on the path to her own enlightenment. In the five years between games she studied the ways of the Nalpazca and is now closer to enlightment than ever thanks to her constant use of various drugs. I am maybe halfway through the game, judging by the play times given by other players who have completed the adventure, and I don't know yet what the Deadfire has in store for Promethea, but I know that even if a piece of her soul had not been stolen, and even had she not being charged by the gods with hunting down Eothas, she would be questing to find him all the same, for one simple reason: he is something she does not know.

Lexx

Cipher
So I thought the game is so full of pets that can be picked up. There's like at least one pet in every single map of the game. And now I went up to the queens place again and what do I find... there is a trader who sells EVEN MORE PETS. I think there are more pets in this game than NPCs you can talk to.

Tigranes

Arcane
So I thought the game is so full of pets that can be picked up. There's like at least one pet in every single map of the game. And now I went up to the queens place again and what do I find... there is a trader who sells EVEN MORE PETS. I think there are more pets in this game than NPCs you can talk to.

The game has enough food and pets for a Domestic Labour Simulator

duanth123

Arcane

Be careful collecting those pets. Given their numbers, I have a suspicious feeling that if the physical rewards are not mailed out, they'll begin vomiting poorly written vignettes.

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I never said anything contrary to this. The first 20 hours are pretty good mainly because of the island capital. The quests and the writing are meh,but the city is more than the sum of its parts. Anything connected with the gulag is pretty good.

So nearly two-thirds of your playthrough was pretty good? I don't think it’s fair to call a game trash if you generally liked more than half of it, even if you really hated the ending.

To everyone who liked the first 20-30 hours and hated the rest, wouldn’t it be more accurate to call Deadfire inconsistent (even wildly inconsistent), mixed, or clearly unfinished? Maybe something like, “after a very solid first half, Deadfire’s rushed ending fails to live up to its own promise?” Or if the late game totally ruined it for you, perhaps, “though it possesses deep flaws, Deadfire’s engaging first half contains many redeeming qualities, which makes the incredibly underwhelming and half-assed late game all the more disappointing.”

I’m only 19 hours in myself—still exploring the Gullett—but that’s the impression I got from those of you who really soured on the game after getting further in.

Should I wait for more patches before going further in? I have a three day weekend and need to decide whether to finish Deadfire or play something else while waiting for Sawyer to fix bugs and tune up the combat. Just bought Legends of Eisenwald on sale for two bucks—worth it as a time waster?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom