Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RPGs that is necessary to take a lot of notes

Atlet

Arcane
Vatnik
Sup, deplorable bitches? How you doing?

The title is self explanatory. I want to write a lot. Not necessarily map dungeons. But I want to write meagnifull shit. So, what rpgs are good for that? I guess the Ultima series demands some notes to be taken. But I want to know other options.

I am excited because I guess I will see a lot of oldies here.

Fire on.

Last edited:

Dorateen

Arcane
Crusaders of the Dark Savant

The first five installments of the Might & Magic series

Realms of Arkania

Anything where you are going to be talking to a lot of NPCs and have to remember their location, in addition to what they said, any clues they give.

Teut Busnet

Cipher
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
Realms of Arkania: Blade of Destiny. (Original at least, I guess the remake will take notes for you)

You have to write down all the old contacts of the lost expedition, who could have a precious piece of the map or knows other people who might know something. Then you travel from one to the next on that huge map - it's a big part of the fun!

Edit: Ninja'd

agris

Arcane
Patron

The title is self explanatory. I want to write a lot. Not necessarily map dungeons. But I want to write meagnifull shit. So, what rpgs are good for that? I guess the Ultima series demands some notes to be taken. But I want to know other options.

Fire on.
I'm second'ing Serpent in the Staglands. It's RTwP though, so if you hate that, pass. Also, read Erlein's Handbook (pdf comes with the game, no link online that I can find) and the manual - it's a new game in a very old style, you will want to read both items.

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
Darklands - No quest journal, when someone tells you "We will pay you 10 florins to defeat Raubritter So-in-So at blah-blah place east of Wherever" WRITE THAT SHIT DOWN. Write down where you got the quest too.

FAQs are useless because location specifics change each game. Need to write down what saints, potions, goods, etc, are available in each town.

Neanderthal

Arcane
Betrrayal at Krondor. Not only so you can remember riddle box answers and use em as storage, but to remember stuff and piece together things that are hinted at, lies told, locations given etc.
Underworlds, you can just write on map mainly, but for lizardman translation you might need more space.

iu

Gregz

Arcane

Fire on.

Dungeon Master, Chaos Strikes Back, The Bard's Tale I-III, Wasteland

laclongquan

Arcane
Morrowind need a lot of notes.
Alchemy notes, that is.

Well, joking aside... on to business.

Silent Storm and SS Sentinels. Sometimes you find an encounter on map that is to your liking: got some much needed loots. You need to write down specifics of that quest: country, map region, where you spawn in the map (in order to differentiate from other instances), and loots. Example of notable loots are high level engineer items, or Med, or rare ammo. Like, rocket pistol ammo, because it make shooting that pistol is like shooting a shotgun (which is ingame nonexistent). Fun larping thing that you need to expend effort to get, and not OP. Or the german research station encounter in SS where you get plenty of good pistols and Engineer items, with plenty of guards (for fun fights), which can be pretty hard to get in German.

Last edited:

Wunderbar

Arcane
Alchemy notes, that is.

Well, joking aside...
Before Tribunal expansion, Morrowind's journal was a total clusterfuck. It was easier to write quest by yourself, rather than try to find useful info in your journal.

Atlet

Arcane
Vatnik
I love you, guys. Lots of magical games here. Tks.

I will play Darklands for now.

But keep posting, please. I want to write a lot.

Last edited:

DemonKing

Arcane
Anything prior to the advent of automaps pretty much.

I had pads of graph paper back in the 80s that were used either for creating D&D maps or mapping out CRPG dungeons.

zool

Arcane
Alchemy notes, that is.

Well, joking aside...
Before Tribunal expansion, Morrowind's journal was a total clusterfuck. It was easier to write quest by yourself, rather than try to find useful info in your journal.

Even with the Tribunal journal, you still have to take notes about locations and other stuff your learn from some NPCs using topics such as "latest rumors".

The first note you'll take in serpent of the staglands is that you have to wait 3 minutes each time it loads for a barren world.

Then you will quit it, delete, refund.

LordofSyn

Scholar
Nearly all of the Trese Brothers games do practically require note taking. Especially their newest game (on Steam now) called Star Traders Frontiers. Because each game is different each time and moreso on a new map, it helps to keep track of trading routes you find, quick plans you make regarding upgrades for all of your crew (especially the captain and officers), Rumors to exploit or stay away from, Conflicts that you can take part of or steer clear of to prevent reputation lost, etc.

It is a very deep game that constantly grows each week and with experience, one will also learn to take notes to help themselves stay focused. Especially as most of the really bad events that can happen in the game are usually the fault of the player by making quick decisions.

However, it is addictive and the community is great to bounce ideas off of and share your discoveries with.

Sent from my LGLS996 using Tapatalk

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom