Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Divinity: Original Sin 2 Definitive Edition Details Revealed

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Bandai Namco Entertainment; Divinity: Original Sin 2; Larian Studios

Last month Larian announced that they were working on a console edition of Divinity: Original Sin 2 to be released this August. At a pre-E3 event this week, they revealed new details about this release, which has now been dubbed Divinity: Original Sin 2 - Definitive Edition. As expected, it will include more than just user interface changes, the main new feature being an overhaul of the game's underwhelming third act. GameSpot has the most detailed summary of these improvements:

The critically acclaimed RPG Divinity: Original Sin II is coming to PS4 and Xbox One this summer, and along with a remapped control scheme, the console version will come with a number of significant changes. At a preview event, Bandai Namco revealed a list of adjustments being made to the RPG to tailor it to consoles and improve the overall experience.

Most notably, developer Larian has "completely reworked" Act 3 of the game. The Arx region now features new dialogue, NPCs, and quests in order to improve the story and overall flow of the game. Additionally, seven new combat encounters were added to Arx to resolve some questlines.

To ease new players into the game, Larian is introducing an optional tutorial level in the console version of Original Sin II. There's also a new, more welcoming difficulty setting called Story mode. This mode gives players the ability to flee from battle at any time and resurrect their party members an unlimited number of times.

Larian has also reworked the interface of the Journal and inventory screen. All Journal entries have been completely rewritten for extra clarity and are now divided into quests, lore, and origin quests. New map markers have also been added to help players better track quest objectives. In terms of inventory improvements, players can now select multiple items at once to more easily manage their inventory, as well as add unwanted items to wares.

Rounding out the changes are a number of balance and AI adjustments. Some underused skills, such as Petrifying Touch and Sucker Punch, have received buffs to make them more useable. The game economy has also been reworked so that armor prices reflect their usefulness, and the difficulty balance in Explorer mode and Hardcore mode has been improved.

Divinity: Original Sin II Definitive Edition launches on PS4 and Xbox One in August. Ahead of its release, Xbox One owners will have a chance to try the game out early. Starting May 16, the first three hours of Original Sin II will be playable for free via Xbox Game Preview. Those who purchase the game on Xbox One will get early access to the entire first act, which is approximately 20 hours of content. Any progress made can be carried over to the full game when it releases.
PC Gamer and USgamer have also written about the Definitive Edition, the latter revealing that a Kickstarter update should be out sometime before E3 with a comprehensive list of the introduced changes. Needless to say, like the first game's Enhanced Edition, all of this will be free for existing owners on PC.

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
Man I knew here was a reason I hadn't played this yet. At first I thought it was because i could no longer take their retarded writing but now I realize I was just waiting for the PS4 release.

Achilles

Arcane
I don't see any mention of the constant need for equipment upgrading. It would be nice if they could do something about that.

Ruzen

Savant
If they are not fixing the initiative system why would anyone bother to reinstall?

DexRiwus

Novice
Internal document listing fixes is apparently 45 pages long. Big changes are coming for better or worse, time will show.
Also there is a DLC about squirrel with existential crisis included.

Are they revamping the progression system and dumb randomized itemization?

I know, I know... No chance.
It doesn't matter how awful it is and how vocally criticized by anyone who understand the first thing about mechanics, Larian will always defend that terrible design choice to the grave, for some inexplicable reason.

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
This is why Larian is the currently the best RPG maker this side of CDProject; they actually listen to criticism and do something about it, yeah they could have just done a simple release on consoles and called it a day but the fact they are reworking stuff like the third act shows the dedication of a true consumer related company... more power to them

Murk

Arcane
Well, if they're actually reworking the final act, it may be a result of more time and effort. I think I'd be willing to do another playthrough if that is the case.

Self-Ejected

Sacred82

Self-Ejected
Dumbfuck
welp, that's definitely not what Swen intended.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom