Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RPG Codex Interview: Chris Avellone on Pillars Cut Content, Game Development Hierarchies and More

Grab the Codex by the pussy
Chris Avellone, have you seen this postmortem about Amored Warfare?

Armored Warfare: What Went Wrong

One excerpt:

Who To Blame
I've read a lot of misinformation that I couldn't respond to over who was to blame for the game dying. The reality is everyone: MailRU, My.com, and Obsidian, some (MRG) more than others.

Obsidian (OEI): Obsidian failed to grab MailRU by the balls early on and say something along the lines of "We're the developers, we've been in this industry longer than you could ever hope to be." Now, I'm not saying that that's what they should have done. MailRU pays good, Obsidian needed money badly. Standing up to them could have meant their contract was pulled early on. With Felix (Nakoomba) joining Obsidian, he was actually able to do that. It was, however, too late.

My.com (My): Despite what people think, My.com had very little to do with the failure of the game because they really didn't have any control over the game. In fact, all you can really blame them for is shitty events and server crashes. I suppose they could have advertised a broken game and gotten us nowhere.

MailRU Group (MRG): Ah, here it is. The big one. How did I not see this coming, I played ArcheAge– I knew what they were capable of, and Obey reminded me numerous times of it. The rest of this post will be about how they ran this game into the ground because they simply lack the vision to see past the Russian market. They thrive on incomplete features and shitty knock off mechanics.

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath
Brother None had been a well-known member of No Mutants Allowed since way back in the day, then became the chief wampum curator of The Vault Fallout Wiki (I think). He did some work (modding? level design?)

He basically WAS NMA for a long time, but Ausir was the Wiki guy...who ended up getting totally dicked over by Bethesderp. Also pretty sure he never modded anything. He wasn't very...talented.

:troll:

Exactly my face when I saw this on reddit. Damn.

Briosafreak? Now that's a name I've not heard in a long time. A long time.

Page-count update: I'm on page 62!

Bigg Boss

Arcane
'nother placeholder post to say: There is no thread about any given topic that Blaine can and will not turn into an argument about something marginally relevant. Never change, Inceldex.

Page Count: I'm on page 17 rn, fyi, tbh.

Hey wtf. That's MY line from like 10 years ago at The Order, mahfacka! Nobody here gon' know, eh? EXCEPT ME!

Do they know about the air conditioner here?

Googly lives on without you Twinks.

latest

Morkar Left

I thought you were an Aussie, not a Brit. How does one acquire a license to meme?
By filling out Work Permit 4565.32 in triplicate, and then a Development Application 957S in triplicate, and turn up at the local council with three forms of ID totalling 120 points. After that, it is a 6 month process where you will be interviewed, psychologically examined, interviewed another 4 times with different parties with vested interests wherein your work will be accessed to see if it meets standards before your application is kicked up to the Minister for Communications. If he endorses your application, you then have to go through a legitimate work application agent and he will guide you through the rest of the application. Current wait times from filing the first Work Permit to getting the permit is about 2 years and would cost you about $6,400 plus $1,000,000 in a surety bond to ensure your standards do not drop below acceptable level.
Very.....german.

What? We let everybody in without asking any questions and you get money instead of paying...

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
I thought you were an Aussie, not a Brit. How does one acquire a license to meme?
By filling out Work Permit 4565.32 in triplicate, and then a Development Application 957S in triplicate, and turn up at the local council with three forms of ID totalling 120 points. After that, it is a 6 month process where you will be interviewed, psychologically examined, interviewed another 4 times with different parties with vested interests wherein your work will be accessed to see if it meets standards before your application is kicked up to the Minister for Communications. If he endorses your application, you then have to go through a legitimate work application agent and he will guide you through the rest of the application. Current wait times from filing the first Work Permit to getting the permit is about 2 years and would cost you about $6,400 plus $1,000,000 in a surety bond to ensure your standards do not drop below acceptable level.
Very.....german.

What? We let everybody in without asking any questions and you get money instead of paying...
:shredder:
The dangers of free speech.

Self-Ejected

MajorMace

Self-Ejected
Patron
That was well-played, sir. My reaction to this was far more humorous than when I heard the same response the first time. (I wasn't mad when I heard it, though, I was more like, "why did we waste all this time pretending we had a choice?")
tfw you realise obsidian's current c&c is even more disappointing in backstage.

set

Cipher
On the bright side, Chris is now free to freelance? I'm glad he was able to keep his ability to write for RPGs - that kind of stuff is riduculous, but it's actually stupidly commonplace in many industries. Hopefully we'll see more good writing get spread around the industry a little, instead of being bogged down in remarkably uninteresting RPGs (I find PoE2 to be rather mediocre and I've already regretting making a purchase of it...).

For me, characters like Kreia are crminially unrepresented in video games. Such a fun viewpoint. I'd like to see such creativity elsewhere in the industry.

Thank you, and yes, now freelance - it allows working on a wider-range of projects, which I think will help my game writing (and also, I can apply elements I've learned on RPGs and apply them to new genres).

no, you should have chosen Eric.

That was well-played, sir. My reaction to this was far more humorous than when I heard the same response the first time. (I wasn't mad when I heard it, though, I was more like, "why did we waste all this time pretending we had a choice?")

That's great, really. All of the characters you've written stand out to me and they speak remarkably well in the medium we're in. Like, specifically in Kreia's case, she's fun to listen to - hear her monologue. And there's also a wonderful element of mystery surrounding her, you don't spell out specifically her past, but there's enough of a suggestion that you can make your own conclusions. She's also blind, one-handed, old, and some kind of twisted true neutral...neutral evil...neutral good alignment I can't even put into words.

We desperately need more antagonists like Kreia. Antagonists that have physical handicaps, emotional handicaps - people who can be powerful through guile or trickery, who can be hated for their myopia, or admired for their unique perspective.

Nobody's writing is perfect and video games certainly don't seem to leverage good writing enough, but it's characters like Kreia that actually make me long for "what would KOTOR3 have been like". They're what get you excited about a series. Sure, trailers and feature bloat can also get you hyped, but good writing not only sells the first iteration, but the second, and the third. It's why so many people actually bought Mass Effect 2 and 3. Or Dragon Age 2. Or any inferior sequel in any genre. And to be perfectly honest, if Kreia had been in the latest star wars movie...instead of Snoak or whatever...God damn, I might have actually enjoyed it. Not that she would have fit at all, but she was just such a breath of fresh air to that franchise.

Please continue to be bold and make brave choices with your writing! It's really hard to do stuff. Creative stuff. Especially stuff that's against company management. Bean counters. Even tech people sometimes. But I think it's generally worthwhile.

I obviously haven't read the whole ridiculous thread here, but I just want to say...I get where Obsidian is coming from - protecting their brand. But I don't understand their attempts at blocking Chris from writing RPGs at all - like, the video game industry is not a zero sum game. Sure, at one point in time, an Obsidian RPG and a BioWare RPG might have competed for my money if they were released in the same god damn month, but that doesn't mean they're actually competitors. If anything, good writing in games lifts up ALL games. Having Chris write for Bethesda or...whatever Obsidian considers a threat to their existence...I don't think invalidates Obsidian or makes their works less appealing. "With Writing from Chris Avellone" being on the box of a game carries some weight to it, at least for me, but it's such a small reason to purchase a game. It really is. And only so many people are even aware of who writes these great characters. Like, I love so many of VTMB's characters - but do I know who wrote any of them? Nope. And I've played that game over 20 times now.

iamleyeti

Barely Literate
After years of lurking, I’ve decided to join and post. Took me a while.

I read the whole topic and it was a weird experience, pretty much akin to the realization during your teenage years than your parents are not perfect people, but real, flawed human beings. Obsidian, Black Isle, Interplay … and Chris are keystones of my years as a gamer … and a professional now working in the industry (9 years in a few months). If I had to name 3 writers who have inspired me over the years, Chris would be on the list for sure.

Almost everything stated in this topic by Chris and others is extremely similar to what I heard (and experienced) in the industry. Most studios born in the 2000s are run by dangerous/crazy/authoritative/toxic CEOs, and the industry is such a bad state that people prefer to leave their job and become freelancers which is a fact that blows my mind every time I think about it (that’s what I did too).

So… Good luck Chris. Thanks for sharing. I really hope this whole shit show will buzz enough so Obsidian (and other studios) is forced to manage its teams better.

(writing this I realize this is my first post and that nobody will ever see it so yeah … too bad.)

Shilandra

Learned
holy shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/36989957-the-pen-is-mightier

The Pen is Mightier (The Pen is Mightier #1)

by
J.A. Cipriano (Goodreads Author)
3.72 · Rating details · 634 Ratings · 54 Reviews
What if anything you wrote became true?

When an angry midget at a traveling carnival promises Roger something that could change his life, he never thought it would come in the form of a magic pen.

Now, anything the introverted college student writes becomes true, and with its power, he'll finally be able to take revenge on the bullies who have tormented him over the years.

There's just one problem. A group of assassins will do anything to get the pen, he accidentally made a entire squad of dancers into slaves, and his best friend somehow got an all-powerful mech.

Maybe that's three problems, but either way, Roger might just find out that the pen is mightier.

PLEASE NOTE: THIS IS A GRAPHIC STORY FEATURING HOT SEX, A DUDE WHO HAS A MAGIC PEN, AWESOME WEAPONS, VIOLENCE, NON-VIOLENCE, MORE SEX, A HAREM, CHEERLEADERS, STRIPPERS, NINJAS, ASSASSINS, MURDER, MORE SEX, GAMBLING, HELICOPTER EXPLOSIONS, A BITCHY BOSS, MECHS, A BULLY WHO GETS WHAT IS COMING TO HIM, AND AN MC WHO STRUGGLES WITH TRYING TO BE A GOOD PERSON WHILE HAVING ULTIMATE POWER. DO THE MATH, PLEASE. (less)
I know this is an old post and probably off topic and far to late for this warning to matter but I have read this book specifically (and many others of J.A. Cipranos works and I would say that his books do not justify the blurbs at all. While he has a talent for writing mildly entertaining adventures his erotic scenes are far to tasteful and short to merit anything more than an "adult themes" warning blurb. So if reading that blurb aroused even a passing curiosity in you, unless you like silly people having silly fun and doing enjoyable silly things, its best to save your money for something more... Heavily oriented towards completions. The Melody smith novels come to mind, though the same author does have more traditionally male oriented stuff if you're looking for something with the harem themes but with more complete scenes that would actually justify an exaggerated warning blurb like ciprano employes.

Honestly though, what shocked me most about all of this isn't that Fergus and I read the same book. Its that our reading list look almost identical. That really threw me for a loop. I wonder what that means or if these kind of fantasy books are just popular in their genres.

Prime Junta

Honestly though, what shocked me most about all of this isn't that Fergus and I read the same book. Its that our reading list look almost identical. That really threw me for a loop. I wonder what that means or if these kind of fantasy books are just popular in their genres.

You should get in touch and make beautiful babies together.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

How naive can you be to hope that people with such taste in books can produce beautiful babies. Besides, the odds are their spawn will inherit the same taste in books.

Neanderthal

Arcane
How naive can you be to hope that people with such taste in books can produce beautiful babies. Besides, the odds are their spawn will inherit the same taste in books.

Beauty, like taste in books, is also in the eye of the beholder.

No there was no Beauty stat in Eye of the Beholder only Charisma, you're thinking Arcanum.

:happytrollboy:

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
holy shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/36989957-the-pen-is-mightier

The Pen is Mightier (The Pen is Mightier #1)

by
J.A. Cipriano (Goodreads Author)
3.72 · Rating details · 634 Ratings · 54 Reviews
What if anything you wrote became true?

When an angry midget at a traveling carnival promises Roger something that could change his life, he never thought it would come in the form of a magic pen.

Now, anything the introverted college student writes becomes true, and with its power, he'll finally be able to take revenge on the bullies who have tormented him over the years.

There's just one problem. A group of assassins will do anything to get the pen, he accidentally made a entire squad of dancers into slaves, and his best friend somehow got an all-powerful mech.

Maybe that's three problems, but either way, Roger might just find out that the pen is mightier.

PLEASE NOTE: THIS IS A GRAPHIC STORY FEATURING HOT SEX, A DUDE WHO HAS A MAGIC PEN, AWESOME WEAPONS, VIOLENCE, NON-VIOLENCE, MORE SEX, A HAREM, CHEERLEADERS, STRIPPERS, NINJAS, ASSASSINS, MURDER, MORE SEX, GAMBLING, HELICOPTER EXPLOSIONS, A BITCHY BOSS, MECHS, A BULLY WHO GETS WHAT IS COMING TO HIM, AND AN MC WHO STRUGGLES WITH TRYING TO BE A GOOD PERSON WHILE HAVING ULTIMATE POWER. DO THE MATH, PLEASE. (less)
I know this is an old post and probably off topic and far to late for this warning to matter but I have read this book specifically (and many others of J.A. Cipranos works and I would say that his books do not justify the blurbs at all. While he has a talent for writing mildly entertaining adventures his erotic scenes are far to tasteful and short to merit anything more than an "adult themes" warning blurb. So if reading that blurb aroused even a passing curiosity in you, unless you like silly people having silly fun and doing enjoyable silly things, its best to save your money for something more... Heavily oriented towards completions. The Melody smith novels come to mind, though the same author does have more traditionally male oriented stuff if you're looking for something with the harem themes but with more complete scenes that would actually justify an exaggerated warning blurb like ciprano employes.

Finally a family member has come up in the codex. Are you his son?

SausageInYourFace

Angelic Reinforcement
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
No better way to judge people than by their taste in books. Cicero said, that a room without books is a room without a soul.

A cursory examination of Feargus soul by way of his books would led me to believe that he is a bit of an inane manchild, which is surprisingly congruent with what else is known about his behavior, such as randomly and frequently yelling at his employees and friends when he doesn't get his will.

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

I really don’t think they’re that popular (I certainly hope not!). My guess is that you and Feargus don’t like to spend more than $4.99 on a book so you end up buying a lot of garbage tier, semi self-published junk. That’s the most generous explanation, a kind of literary false economy.

The other explanation is that you’re both reading exactly what you want to read. So would you mind telling us why you like these LitRPG harem novels? It could give us a lot of insight into Obsidian’s future content. What were your favorite books of the last few years? What titles are you most eagerly anticipating? What do you look for in a $3 novel? I bet you dollars to donuts we’ll see some of this stuff in Obsidian’s future releases, assuming they can keep the studio going after The Outer Worlds.

You have to answer my questions because I have a magic pen that lets me rewrite the fabric of reality.

Ziggy

Scholar
MCA too busy enjoying Critically Acclaimed Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire™ to shitpost

Ninjerk

Arcane

I NEED MY TRUMP DISGUSTING BUTTON :negative:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom