Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Disco Elysium Pre-Release Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

Kasparov

OH/NO
Developer
This interview with Edward Price might have slipped through the cracks:

https://gameanalytics.com/blog/disco-elysium-rezzed-2018-interview.html

The yearly Rezzed event run by Eurogamer.net is an absolutely fantastic way for indie developers to display their games and get them noticed. One such title on display this year was Disco Elysium, an amazingly inventive and constantly hilarious open-world RPG where you play as a policeman and seemingly every choice you make can change how the game is played.

I spoke to Robert Kurvitz, lead writer and designer of Disco Elysium, about creating a world with so many choices, the consequences of doing so, and the ability to wear cool hats.

Disco Elysium is an absolutely incredible game, where did you get the idea from initially?

We were at a really dark moment in our lives, there were a lot of people who were, I was personally at a dark moment in my life. So, my executive producer came to me and “hey man, we failed at pretty much everything, let’s also fail at making videogames”. Now I can say it looks like we’ve also failed at failing at making videogames now so, so we really have failed at everything, because it’s looking quite nice already!

The idea, well, we’re really big fans of isometric RPGs and RPGs in general, but at the same time we’ve seen them go by and not really go anywhere. It’s strange how RPGs are such a proud genre of videogames – the idea of what an RPG ‘is’ is always really fought over – and the definition of what an RPG is well… our school of thought really slipped out of our hands. I don’t really understand why a lot of games are called that, so we went to set things right.

It’s a very logical thing to do, and at its essence it’s a very easy pitch. It’s a Detective RPG, and in every RPG you have detective missions. In Bulder’s Gate 2 you have a good one, and in The Witcher series you have several, and every RPG has this one cool detective person, and those have always been my favourite parts of RPGs.

I get to put down my stupid sword for a moment, it happens in a city, I talk to people, there’s a twist, they’ve have to write it – really write it – and I get to combine information which is hard to program in stories. I kind of thought that I wanted a game where you only have that. You have shooting too, you have a bit of combat there, but it’s avoidable, and you can move out of it. So we made this one.

We made a setting that really works, that’s been in work for like 15 years, I’d say it’s probably my life’s work to come up with this urban fantasy setting. So, when we got funding for it, most of it was the art director and I was to be the writer, and we for some reason thought we could do it!

Speaking of the writing, every single decision seems to branch off into something else, into something else, and depending on perception checks you can potentially unlock even more conversation topics and choices – how much of a massive undertaking was this to write?

An incredible one! We use a program which gives us a bit more flexibility and pace than maybe RPG writing was before in terms of visual programming. It’s very easy for a visual-thinking person as me to handle complex, branching, Lovecraftian-looking, monstrous dialogue trees. I still call it “The Mind Shatterer”, it’s just so difficult mentally and so taxing that, would I have any other option in life, I would probably not do it because it’s so hard, but I really don’t feel at this moment in my life that there’s anything else in my life that I would want to do.

There’s so much opportunity here, but it’s incredibly hard. We have an 8 people writing team, people who have written on this game in general, which is pretty much what Mass Effect Andromeda had, and that’s a huge game and they had tens of millions to do it. In comparison, we are very, very… money’s too tight to mention, so we’re really having to outdo ourselves and jump over our saddle here. It’s not easy, but with the central story, we have a really brilliant synopsis to work around.

disco-game-flow-1024x234.jpg

One example of the eldritch horrors that come from making a game with so much choice… this is just for a telephone call.​

With all the stats and their consequences, like for example the characters can suffer from psychoses, how difficult is it also not just to write but make sure that when the story is done that it can accommodate so many different styles of play? There are so many things the players could never see, but you still have to write around them…

You just have to – I think a lot of RPGs haven’t done that, because when you start going down a rabbit hole writing-wise and the player does it too, it drags on and it changes everything. A little joke can change everything.

A lot of RPG writing hasn’t gone down this rabbit hole because they’ve felt it’s unachievable, because you have to account for it later, people remember that you said or did certain actions. We kind of just thought “go for it”, let’s go down every rabbit hole there is, let’s let you do every stupid thing that you can, and try to somehow to get it together in the end.

It looks like it’s possible, but we still do have sanity checks – we have a lot of moments that tie the game together, unavoidable main storyline moments, but there are also a lot of side quests, and they can also affect the main case. You can start with one main case that you’re solving, and you can start about five others, and some of them are as big as the main one. They’re more mysterious, and just as much effort in terms of production and uncovering clues, and some of them can maybe start telling you things about the main investigation and start merging.

For example, you can also become a cryptozoologist, like you’re hunting Bigfoot – you’re not going to be actually hunting Bigfoot but a cryptozoological beast – and then what if it’s real? What if it’s somehow connected? You can really be like – you know that meme? You can really be that guy.

How do you make sure the game is so consistently funny?

Self hurt, self sacrifice, self harm! A lot of this humour is going to come back and bite us in the ass. It has a lot of politically risqué humour, it’s not PC…

There’s literally a line that says “I can get down with racism”…

Yeah, you can say that, and then you can actually get down with racism. You can get that thought and you can follow through on it. We’ve had to be respectful in a way towards an idealogy that I personally loathe, but I’m a writer and I can write as anyone, I pride myself on it. We’ve had to respectfully handle it for that person, and it has to end with something, and it has to turn out that the sorry state that this person is in is because of this. The kind of thing that you mention for instance can be pretty bewildering for some.

The player has to actively pursue those choices for them to happen, right?

How we do it is that, for every scene that happens and every path you go down, we leave nothing in store, we write every scene as hard as we can, and as writers we have every kind of weird or stupid thought. Any hard thing or process, we just have to do it.

One example is a line that you didn’t get in your playthrough, but when you talk to the women outside of your hotel room, if you fail the stat check to flirt with her, you would have been caught in a moment where there’s only one thing you can say, and it would have been “I want to have f*** with you”. She says “that’s literally not how language works”, but for a writer to come out and say this sentence, it’s embarrassing. I have to say that in my head, and say “I came up with this, my brain gave birth to this line, Robert Kurvitz, why?”

That’s a cool moment, but then there are really dark moments later on, you can do stuff that some of our editors are advising us against, but I think I’m still going to leave in. I think the trick is that we don’t want to leave a good impression of ourselves as writers, we want to entertain and engage the person and accommodate the player and reader at any cost. Make it fun, make it so that they tell the story, they pick these options, they solve these cases. It’s not about ourselves as writers; it’s about having a really free game where you can do anything in any order and go around. I don’t care if – I’ve been hounded for political belief before, so I don’t have a problem with that, I’m just not going to go online!

Ultimately, I guess controversy isn’t – it’s not a case of it selling, but when people understand the context around those decisions it’s not as controversial as people think it is.

We’ve already gotten accusations of rampant racism, for example, which is very strange, because I don’t think there is a lot of that in the build. I think it’s actually being able to say things like the word “black” in the context the build has it, it’s apparently a huge thing for videogames, where you’re usually dealing with racism in terms of elves and dwarves and gnomes, and all kinds of fantastical people.

There’s a level of realism to the dialogue that probably makes it more unpalatable for people to experience when playing.

It’s the setting too, it has to be that because – it’s not our world, but – it’s a modern world. It has very similar problems to our world, but perhaps they’re greater or more extreme. It’s something we have to kind of do. I hope a lot of people aren’t going to be upset by it. We never force you to do it.

It’s always your choice, you chose to go down that rabbit hole, you started saying weird things to this person, but you can go down it pretty hard. You’re playing a cop, so you’re in a position of power, you can do really weird bad things, but you don’t have to.

I hope we can signal it before this happens, like if you don’t want to talk to a charater to Cuno, because the first thing he says is a homophobic slur, you can just say goodbye and go away.

Plus, there’s an option to chastise him.

Yeah, we’ve even written it into our Thought Cabinet mechanic that, if you become a centrist or a liberal kind of character, or what the alt-right would call a “virtue signaller”, it becomes a thought in your head that becomes “The Kindom of Conscious”. It can turn you into a really high-horse guy, and if you finish the thought, it’ll give you a bonus, but it will make sure that as a knight of this kingdom, that you have to go and tell Cuno that, disregarding his working-class background, he can’t use language like that. Then you can go to Cuno and have a long talk about it.

We’ve kind of made it a mechanical thing, so that if you have a grievance with the game, you can air them into the game itself. Or, you can go online and call us whatever you want. Just don’t blame me, blame Cuno!

The game’s about to go into closed beta, how important is it to get that feedback at this stage?

Yeah, it’s going to go into closed beta for streamers and then media and so forth. What we want mostly, is that we want some play-testing. This game could be so much fun if it gets us some people playing it, but we also need feedback on how it is to stream. It’s a big thing, entertaining people streaming, but Disco Elysium is a great game for streaming, because there’s so much work we’ve done.

For example, if you like to make stupid voices, then there’s a little VO at the beginning of dialogue, but is isn’t fair to do all the work for you. Hopefully, this is going to be a great game to entertain other people with, who wouldn’t maybe play Disco Elysium who then get into it.

Plus, the fact that there are so many choices and it’s so open means that people can have a different completely experience from what they’ve seen from streamers.

The different streamers will do different things, yeah!

Dani Woodford, Community Manager: It’s also that with a lot of games, if you watch it on stream you’re like “oh I don’t need to play it now”, with this it’s more like you can see it, realise there’s a lot of replayability, and you haven’t really spoiled it for yourself by watching a bit of the stream.

Robert Kurvitz: Also we’re going to have funny hats! They’re not in the build right now, but they’re going to be a lot of hats. It’ll change as we move from early alpha, but there’s going to be a hell of a lot stupid hats to hear! I love dressing up my little guy with clothes, it’s like especially for boys who are mostly RPG players, I guess it’s some kind of freeing experience that they can finally dress up a doll with cool swords, so you can make yourself a stupid disco kind of hat guy.

It’s so fun, I’ve done it myself, like it’s strangely fun to dress a police officer with really strange hats. I hope that’ll also be a really big draw for the streamers: the ability to wear hats.

For anyone who wants to do this sort of game and thinks that the scope is too big, and that it can’t be done, it seems you’ve disproven that, so what advice would you give them?

We haven’t disproven it yet! There’s a lot of QA and playtesting to do, and we need to edit it and stitch this Frankenstein together, and to get under control all the permutations and things that can happen and make it good, to make every scene good, it’s a hell of a lot of work to go still, but given that we may be able to do it…

My first suggestion would be “don’t”. Don’t do it. Just do something normal with your life. Go work first, go to a studio that’s already there, that’s already nice and produced. Don’t make your own studio. None of the 25 of us working on the game have ever made a videogame before. We just got a producer 4 months ago who’s made one – a really good one – who is going to help us do it.

My second suggestion would be that if you absolutely, totally feel like you’re going to be a bum, that you’re not going to pay your rent and you’re going to lose your apartment and you have to do something, and then your friends happen to want to make a videogame – as it was in my case – if it feels like an existential must and you will die if you don’t make it… then definitely do it, because it’s very much possible, I think. You have to be really… it has to be scary how much you want to do it, because it’s very hard.

Disco Elysium is out later in 2018. Robert Kurvitz can be found on Twitter @RobertKurvitz. ZAUM Studios can also be found @studioZAUM.

Last edited:

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
The idea, well, we’re really big fans of isometric RPGs and RPGs in general, but at the same time we’ve seen them go by and not really go anywhere. It’s strange how RPGs are such a proud genre of videogames – the idea of what an RPG ‘is’ is always really fought over – and the definition of what an RPG is well… our school of thought really slipped out of our hands. I don’t really understand why a lot of games are called that, so we went to set things right.

Really good and honest interview.

ArchAngel

Arcane

For anyone who wants to do this sort of game and thinks that the scope is too big, and that it can’t be done, it seems you’ve disproven that, so what advice would you give them?

We haven’t disproven it yet! There’s a lot of QA and playtesting to do, and we need to edit it and stitch this Frankenstein together, and to get under control all the permutations and things that can happen and make it good, to make every scene good, it’s a hell of a lot of work to go still, but given that we may be able to do it…

My first suggestion would be “don’t”. Don’t do it. Just do something normal with your life. Go work first, go to a studio that’s already there, that’s already nice and produced. Don’t make your own studio. None of the 25 of us working on the game have ever made a videogame before. We just got a producer 4 months ago who’s made one – a really good one – who is going to help us do it.

My second suggestion would be that if you absolutely, totally feel like you’re going to be a bum, that you’re not going to pay your rent and you’re going to lose your apartment and you have to do something, and then your friends happen to want to make a videogame – as it was in my case – if it feels like an existential must and you will die if you don’t make it… then definitely do it, because it’s very much possible, I think. You have to be really… it has to be scary how much you want to do it, because it’s very hard.

Disco Elysium is out later in 2018. Robert Kurvitz can be found on Twitter @RobertKurvitz. ZAUM Studios can also be found @studioZAUM.
Who is this producer and what is that good game he made?

agris

Arcane
Patron

Who is this producer and what is that good game he made?
Let me cut to the real point here: why should we hate him?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
http://www.growngaming.com/preview/disco-elysium-is-the-evolution-of-the-crpg-genre/

DISCO ELYSIUM IS THE EVOLUTION OF THE CRPG GENRE

disco-elysium-1.jpg

Disco Elysium is being built in the spirit of classic RPGs without feeling like a throwback title. It could be something special indeed.

Formerly called No Truce With The Furies, Disco Elysium is part isometric RPG and part ‘hardboiled cop show’, according to the developers.

Were it not for the arrival of full 3D frameworks, Disco Elysium gives us an insight into how the CRPG could have evolved.

Players control a disgraced lieutenant detective. Corruption is rife, crime is out of control, and murders go unsolved. Players kick in doors, interrogate suspects and explore the gorgeously rendered city to unravel its mysteries.

disco-elysium-2.jpg

Oh, and your character hears voices. In fact, they deliver the key dialogue as the various voices vie for control, lending their own spin to the investigation and series of events. More than providing commentary, though, the voices are tied to skill levelling – rather than sticking points in the standard intelligence, dexterity and strength categories, you’ll be strengthening your mental faculties, such as intellect, wit, greed and fear.

Disco Elysium boasts excellent writing and open quest design. No playthrough should be the same thanks to how open-ended and truly shapable the game, quest and character progression are.

Disco Elysium is due out later this year for the PC.

Kasparov

OH/NO
Developer
MEET THE SKILLS: MOTORICS

ROBERT KURVITZ

Motorics (MOT) covers your peripheral nervous system, your five senses, and your vestibular system. It’s our take on the classic Dexterity and Perception stats, but not only. Motorics also has an added mental aspect – your street smarts, the ability to think on your feet and maintain a poker face in stressful situations.

Above all, the Motorics skills make you cool.

And, unlike the other skill sets, they doesn’t come at a huge cost. Put too many points into Physique and it turns you into a violent animal – something like Marv from Sin City. Overdo Psyche and you’re Dale Cooper on MDMA. Too much Intellect turns you a Holmesian pedant. The twist with Motorics is – there is no such twist. Ultra high levels of the Motorics skills surprise you with expanded functionality. It’s the stabilizing element of your build, the binding agent.

A high Motorics cop is one smart, streetwise operator, closest to the classic Detective archetype: your Johnny Dollar or Sonny Crockett. It’s also the flashiest attribute animation-wise, and definitely the best-dressed.

Which is not to say that the Motorics skills make you perfect. You may come off as jumpy or high strung. A bit of a cokehead, even. But, honestly, that’s nothing compared to the trouble you can get into with the other three.

Let’s have a look at what these six desperados can do for you.

HAND / EYE COORDINATION

H/E, as we shorten it, makes you fire that gun. Makes you fire it good. The more H/E you have, the more precise your aim. And, be it a Villiers 9mm, a Kiejl Armistice, or a banged up old Liljeqist in your hand, you’re going to want to be very precise, because bad, bad, very bad things will happen if you aren’t.

Not only is H/E for aiming, or throwing – it’s also for catching. You’d be surprised how useful that is. Your partner just threw you the keys to your patrol vehicle. It’s a cool moment, but Benny Shitfingers drops them in the sewage. Vehicle inoperable. Mob boss flips a coin in your direction: here’s a tip rent-a-cop. Blam, he pokes your eye out with it.

It’s incredibly uncool to not catch things.

Oh and remember when I said it’s for using firearms? Well, the twist here is: it also analyzes them. Pick up a gun and H/E will tell you things about it: weight, calibre, reliable range. Good to have in a murder investigation if firearms are involved. And they always are. Revachol is a very gunny place.

REACTION SPEED

Reaction Speed also gets a little gunny. Let’s you dodge incoming gunfire. It’s the yang to H/E’s yin. The anti-gun. Your danger sense. Your dodge skill.

On the mental side of things, it’s also your mental alacrity and street smarts. It helps you dodge snipes of the verbal sort: quick jabs and cheap shots, dramatic moves people try to pull on you. Reaction Speed is an alarm system.

Overdo levelling this one and you’ll develop that jumpiness I mentioned. Surely a small price to pay for not being, you know, dead. Or standing there with your mouth agape, trying to come up with a cool comeback after she’s already gone.

If you want to build a mental powerhouse, max up on INT Skills like Logic, Conceptualization and Visual Calculus, then throw Reaction Speed in there too. They’ll call you Johnny Big-Brain now! It’s possible to be very intelligent without it, but it’s a slow, studious intellect. Reaction Speed gives you smarts.

It’s perhaps the quintessential hardboiled detective skill in the game…

PERCEPTION

…second only to Perception. This one’s a giant. It’s the magnifying glass in your hand that allows you to see the drop of blood in the fish tank. The keen ear that catches the sound of breathing under the floorboards. Perception governs your sight, smell, taste, and hearing.

Because it’s so all-encompassing, it’s better to say what it doesn’t do. Perception does not read tells and body language (that’s Composure, another Motorics skill). And it doesn’t detect microscopic details with your fingertips (that’s Interfacing, another one). But you’re still going to want to put a few points into this one, believe me. And, yes, it does yield clues too. A lot of clues. Even too many, perhaps? A high Perception cop is going to be drowning in little notes about the things they saw, heard, or smelled – some of them extraneous, or even misleading.

But still, be careful – too little of this one and you’ll be on an experimental playthrough of Disco Elysium: The Adventures of Johnny Blind.

Perception does all sorts of nice things outside of dialogue too, affecting how you interact with the game’s ultra-detailed art. It detects hidden containers for you to loot, and reveals hidden objects in the world – footprints on the floor, for example. Then you can use Visual Calculus (an Intellect skill) to read their size, make and so on – another example of Intellect and Motorics having great synergy for a classic detective build.

Also, expect to find hidden areas: secret rooms, doors, and rooftop paths in the city of Revachol.

The city’s also littered with these little green orbs you can click on; classic “question mark” moments that provide quick observations like: “someone left the stove on,” “water’s dripping from this tap.” Some of these orbs are only visible to higher Perception characters. You can use these hidden, golden orbs to question people: “You just renovated, but the tap’s leaking?” This is one more way environmental exploration (crime scene analysis) and questioning people (interrogations) are connected in Disco Elysium.

Finally, there are certain Thought Cabinet projects that allow you to auto-succeed, say, all hearing-type Perception checks. So there are workarounds for a low Motorics character who wants to play the “blind saxophone player” cop. (Please don’t. Also, there are no saxophones in Elysium.)

SAVOIR FAIRE

Savoir Faire is all about style, subterfuge, flair. Even sexiness to a certain extent. It’s our combined Acrobatics and Sneaking skill, with an added zest of verbal flare every now and then. The full package for a slippery roguish detective. You’re basically a ninja-cop, or what our worldbuilding calls a Sambo artist. (Sambo, short for Samaran Boxing, is a communist martial art from Sapurmat Ulan.)

You may also be… a bit of a douchebag, to be honest.

A police detective who sneaks out of conversations and pulls acrobatic moves can come off as an exhibitionist. The other Motorics skills affect your personality in surprisingly (for the Metric system) agreeable ways, but this one’s a wild card.

On the other hand, it’s extremely useful for sneaking into places. It lets you interact with the game’s environment in some pretty flashy ways, where our combat system blends into an acrobatics system for jumping, climbing, etc.

The twist here — and the importance of this cannot be overstated — is that Savoir Faire also lets you dance.

COMPOSURE

Composure is your poker face. The Motorics firewall for your inner turmoil. And also its reverse – your ability to read other people’s body language and tells – to see beneath their facade.

Composure and Perception go well together, making for an ultra-vigilant cop. Composure and the Psyche skill Volition are a good combination for a man of steel who never cracks under pressure. And you’ll be under a lot of pressure in Disco Elysium. Or, if you want to be the expert in reading people, combining Composure with another Psyche skill, Empathy, gives you X-Ray vision into people’s mental states.

If Savoir Faire sexes you up in a slightly douchey way, Composure does the stomach-in, shoulders-back type thing. A trustworthy sexiness. Great posture.

The big twist here is that very high Composure becomes your fashion sense. First of all, it criticises other people’s sartorial choices – not only are they sweating and obviously hiding something, they also have a lame floral shirt. Second, it lets you push your fashion sense on them. Make your partner wear a stupid orange pilot cap. You look too cool for others to not trust your advice.

INTERFACING

Interfacing is the final piece of the puzzle as your fine motor skills. Digital dexterity. Fingerworks. Oh boy, does this one do a lot of things — it basically does all the rest: takes notes and helps with handwriting analysis; interprets electrical circuitry; instructs you on how to use a simple blue button; runs your hands across the gear shaft of a motor-carriage; disentangles a Stereo 8 tape from a hawthorn tree, patches it up, and plays it at night on your short stint as a tape-jockey; runs diagnostics on a motor lorry; picks locks; does a great massage; finds microscopic tears in body cavities…

In some extreme cases (very high Interfacing needed), you can even perform what we call a phenomenological transfer: put your hands on the steering levers (motor-cars in Elysium do not use wheels) of a Coupris Kineema and know precisely what its mileage is, how it was treated by its last owner, and what road it was last driven on.

Interfacing is one of those rare skills in the Metric system that sometimes borders on the extraphysical. Extraphysical is what we call the realistically supernatural. The real deal. Reality-breaking. Interfacing’s extraphysical effects are much, much more subtle than those of the Physique skill Shivers, which puts you in touch with the city of Revachol, but they’re there, connecting you to machinery, electrical circuits, and, most curiously, radiowaves.

You see, in Disco Elysium you can circuit-bend into radiocomputers. These machines have on-air processing. Large prime number stations criss-cross the air. Advanced tape computers use arrays of antennas to sieve through their calculations to perform advanced calculus on site: to run programmes and communicate between the remote corners of the world. There’s a Ream A24 Prefect console somewhere down there, in a hidden basement – or a church, who can say? – that you can use to circuit-bend into remote units. Access personal information, read love letters, learn ancient secrets.

Tape computation has existed in this world for hundreds of years. Who knows what you’ll find…

Oh, what’s that, mom? What am I doing? I’m playing a seventies-style cop with a handlebar moustache who frequency-hacks into ancient radio stations. It’s not basic dungeons and dragons.

That’s all for Metric, the system that powers character creation in Disco Elysium. We hope you’ve enjoyed these posts and have gotten some interesting ideas for your build.

Next time we’ll talk about the Thought Cabinet, where you develop character traits for your cop, giving your skills new and strange sideeffects.

After that we’ll finally be ready to talk about the Elysium setting – its technology, geopolitics, schools of thought, and culture.

Till then.

Last edited:

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
"I can handle this," I said. "With few points to spend, I can still make a good detective with Intellect and Psyche," I said. "I don't need to worry about Strength or Dexterity," I said.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
After reading this update, I went back to bed and dreamed that promotional Steam keys for DE were being sent out on cardboard scratch-it code wheels to select fans and I was lucky enough to receive one. I didn't have a penny nearby so I just picked up the nearest object and started scratching ... but I woke up before my key was revealed
rating_negativeman.png

Kasparov

OH/NO
Developer
It seems to me today is a kind of Christmas. Ho! Ho! Ho!

Disco Elysium (formerly known as No Truce With The Furies) is shaping up to be ridiculously good. It’s an upcoming RPG that slips you into the shoes of a detective in a hardboiled urban fantasy world, where combat happens through dialogue and your internal monologue can be both a hindrance and a help. Your skills have their own personalities and sometimes wrestle control away from you, while you can choose to internalise certain thoughts, thus changing who your character is and what they can do.

It’s absolutely fascinating, and I mean it when I say the hour or so I’ve played also contains the best writing I’ve ever seen in a video game (several other RPSers are thrilled by it too, as discussed on our recent podcast). To find out more about Disco Elsyium’s special sauce, I sat down with design and writing lead Robert Kurvitz at Rezzed to chat about its pen and paper origins, encouraging tenacious behaviour, rewarding players who want to fail and why most other RPGs do quests wrong.

RPS:: Is Disco Elysium something you can be bad at?

Robert Kurvitz: Yeah, Yeah, definitely. It’s a hardcore RPG: You can fail at it. You can be a bad detective who just doesn’t solve the case at all, and everything goes really badly – and you can die. You can also be too scatterbrained, just not a good enough detective generally, to piece together what happens.

RPS: Right, so there might be bits where you just can’t deduce what’s happening?

Kurvitz: Yeah, and you can also build yourself a build that doesn’t work for what you might try to do. You have to be strategic, and you have to think “right, how am I going to go about this? How am I gonna get out of this? How am I going to get these guys to face up to what they did?” Because some people are just gonna stonewall you. And then we have active skill checks, white checks we call them, and when you fail them you can try them again – but to try them again you have to put one point into what you did, and you may not be able to do that because you don’t have that kind of character, or you don’t have enough experience yet, or you’re at max points already. Then you have to find modifiers in the world, and you have to think “what character would influence these guys?”

Disco-Elysium-620x300.jpg

RPS: So there’ll always be some way of thinking your way out of those situations?

Kurvitz: Yes, if you want to! If you truly set about it. For example, we have an interrogation where there’s this rowdy group of working class men from the docks. Like 12 of them, and they’re owning up to the crime: they’re saying “we did it, and what are you going to do about it? We’re 12 people, are you gonna kill us now?” “Why don’t you fuck off?”, is what they’re saying. So, what do you do in that situation? Do you maybe try and get them to give up one member? Or maybe you arrive at the idea that these guys probably have a superior in the harbour or something. It’s hard to get in there – it’s a HUGE task to get into the harbour – but when you do get in there in your own kind of way, you can ask their superior to get his guys to cooperate with the police. So you have to think about how human beings are kind of structured, how their hierarchies work.

RPS: Is that an example of a side quest, or is that the main story? Something that you need to figure out how to deal with?

Kurvitz: Yeah, this is the main story. So I like to think that it’s a pretty true crime take on the cop drama. So the detective work is real, the autopsy scene is quite…precise. I’m quite proud of how clinical it is. We’ve also done quite a lot of research into how police procedure actually works, and it’s hard, it’s not easy work. But we don’t want you to save scum either, so there’s always a way to get another chance at it.

RPS: So, it’s a detective game. It’s about figuring stuff out – well, it’s about a lot of things – but you’re essentially going to be trying to figure out a mystery. How do you find the balance between making it too easy for the player to figure stuff out and finding themselves completely stumped?

Kurvitz: Yeah, it’s not easy. In design, basically, you need to have a lot of different paths, you need to have a good idea of where the player is, and mostly you have to reward a tenacious kind of attitude. So if these guys are stonewalling you, maybe you won’t find a character that can tell you anything about them, but maybe you can find a mental state in your own head and you can use the Thought Cabinet to turn yourself into a communist – and maybe that will give you a dialogue option that will appeal to these working class guys, maybe that will rouse something in them.

You have to pick away at it in hopefully a zen kind of way, we want it to be kind of relaxing.

RPS: It’s interesting you use the word relaxing, because my immediate impression was all to do with struggling against the things within me, that seemed to be trying to wrestle control away from me.

Kurvitz: Mmm, but at the same time, what you weren’t doing was having sweat beating down your forehead, fire wasn’t being thrown at you. It’s tough being responsible for things, it’s tough being a detective, but at the same time I’d like to think it’s a pleasant kind of experience, clicking and reading it. We engage you with very dirty tricks all the time to keep you on your toes, but at the same time you do get to go about it at your own leisure. For us to get it as open-worldy as it is was a tremendous pain, and hopefully for the player there’s this kind of freedom, like “I don’t want to see this right now” – I’m not going to look in that mirror, I’m just going to walk away – “I don’t want to see my face, goodbye”. We accommodate for every stupid little thing that you wanna do.

RPS: There’s one early example where I was sort of scared to indulge myself. When you see that cigarette when you step out of your room for the first time,if you don’t immediately walk away from it, you’re trapped. It’s like, that’s it: I’m a smoker now.

Kurvitz: (laughs)

RPS: So were you deliberately trying to get people to be wary of their own skills?

Kurvitz: Oh yeah. We wanted to engage the player at any cost, basically. So when there’s some… I don’t want to say there’s a lot of text in the game…

RPS: There IS a lot of text in the game!

Kurvitz: There’s a lot of characters in the game, there are lots of situations you go up to with them, and then they’re not all shooty. They need to have hooks, and we found out while we were doing this that the dialogue tree structure, famously known from Planescape Torment and even Obsidian games and so on, have this wonderful fencing mechanism with the player. You can lie to the player, and you can do weird things with them with the loops in there, and you can challenge them constantly and keep them on their toes. So you can send them down these loops that they can’t get out of, where you don’t have Volition (the skill) to keep your Aggression in check, and you just become an asshole.

461da9b903aaeb838fd960b8fd274bafb583a01e-620x300.jpg

RPS: Is it going to be the case that throughout the game that’s a constant struggle, or are you going to be able to subdue parts of yourself?

Kurvitz: Yes, as you level and becoming more proficient at the system, it’s possible to be a really good cop. So the game throws you into this horrible opening moment, you’re completely on your knees as a human being, and then hopefully if you’re tenacious enough it becomes first of all surprising that you’re able to do this, and secondly a triumph that you’re able to do this. And then you can get to know these guys (the skills) and play them against each other. What we wanted to achieve with this was a realistic sensation of what it’s like to be a human being – because you’re not in complete control.

So with Willpower, you give yourself commands, and not only is your body not able to do them but your mind is unable. So say you try to “concentrate on this thing for 40 minutes”, and then you’re just not able to do that. Or say what you want to do is “call her and say that you’re sorry” or something, and your hand just doesn’t raise. So sometimes you’re on the backseat in your own mind, and I think that with pen and paper role playing I’ve really pursued that kind of feeling – to make it hard for players to play their character. I think video games are in this unique position to show how the human psyche works, and that’s what we really want to do.

RPS: So this started as a pen and paper roleplaying system – tell me about how that translated into the actual game? Were there parts of it that you wanted to keep from it and couldn’t, or bits that translated particularly well?

Kurvitz: The main thing for us has always been the world. And then the system has been a way to get into that world. I mean I love the world, I’ve put my entire life into coming up with the names for it and so on, and then pen and paper roleplaying is a very good way to get into worlds. It was designed for nerds to get into Middle Earth!

So the system was always there, and we’ve evolved with it. As we’ve moved further away from it – I think we started with “Bronzepunk” stuff and so on, we’ve been working on it for 12 years – the rules became more abstract and we stopped having, say, “+2 acid resistance” anywhere, because human beings don’t have acid resistance, or cold resistance. And it started accruing stuff like “conceptualization”, and actual skills people use – and that’s the perfect kind of system for a detective. So it was a long 13 year process, but we got to do a lot of pen and paper play testing and I know that people dig it. I know that it’s natural, and that it works.

RPS: At what point did the skills get personalities?

Kurvitz: So at first we had this dialogue card, which just came up and said “you’ve noticed this thing”. Then the second thing that happened was that we had this really cool concept artist who we thought was gonna do logos for the skills, but he bailed on us. So our main art director had to do us portraits, and he does human faces really well. So we thought, why don’t we give the skills portraits like human faces – not like “a gun with a circle around it”, but different facets of yourself. So when you start seeing that, you kind of have to start writing that as a character.

So now Drama is this kind of mad thespian, he’s like – (puts on amdram voice) “Why Sire, this is looking pretty bad for you. Perhaps this would be a good opportunity to ally!”, and then Rhetoric became a bit of a liberal leftist kind of person, and then Endurance later on becomes a kind of fascist. Endurance is about your gut feeling, and your gut feeling is telling you “immigrants are bad for the economy.” (laughs).

So then we discovered that players have this really cool reaction to it: it felt so natural for them. Then we discovered that we can have one skill say something and another skill appear and say no, it isn’t like that! And then a third guy is like “No no, it isn’t like that at all!”, so we found we could really build up our narrators in that way.

egx-rezzed-2018-disco-elysium-620x300.jpg

RPS: Have you ever played a small pen and paper RPG called Everyone is John? It’s one where all of the players –

Kurvitz are John?

RPS: Yep! (laughs). So you all play different facets of John who are trying to pull him in different directions, trying to get him to do different things. I think you might like it.

Kurvitz: That sounds very cool. I haven’t gotten to keep up with cool interesting RPGs because I’ve done my own one, but before that I was a kind of RPG philosopher, you know – I really went high brow in it. I always knew I wanted to do an RPG where you can schedule your own quests, where you give yourself quests. I always disliked the idea of quest givers – because that always makes you a backseat dude in the world. So in a game you might be this grand champion, inquisitor or something in charge of a whole army, but there’s always got to be this guy that’s like “go there, do that”, because otherwise it doesn’t work mechanically.

But what the skills here do is let you put points into faculties of yourself – like Electrochemistry, and then that dude gives you a quest to start smoking. Or another dude gives you another quest, and that way you can be your own quest giver – you can start your own side cases, and stuff like that. So that was one of my pet peeves in RPGs that I think we’ve dealt with – you yourself can start side cases into “cyrptozoology” or something and then they spiral out of control, but then you start asking yourself “wow, is that somehow connected to the main case?” So hopefully a lot of playthroughs will lead to really weird theories about what’s going on.

RPS: Have you had players that have tried to be deliberately bad at everything? And how’s that worked out for them?

Kurvitz: Yeah, as a person who sets a lot of traps into this game, we kind of have to make it hard for the players to do basic things like not vomit at seeing a corpse – so that they would get to feel this as being a bad thing, to make them OK with it. Players want to powergame, at first, but I think about 25% of players start chasing this failure high. Like, they really want to fail – and for them we have a Thought Cabinet project –

RPS: A what, sorry?

Kurvitz: Ah, so we have this mechanic called the Thought Cabinet, and what that does is it kind of represents what your character is thinking about in the background. Yeah, and something happens when you get it done. In the build you’ve played it’s very nascent, but I think we’re gonna get it pretty nice.

disco-elsyium-rpg-620x330.jpg

RPS: Right, so one example in the Rezzed demo is internalising the idea that you’re a superstar.

Kurvitz: Yeah, and you probably didn’t have enough time to see it, but they sometimes have bad twists – they can turn into negative perks, surprisingly. So we have a Thought for those players that try to be bad at stuff – a very bad thing to think about – that makes you automatically fail all intellect and psyche checks. It’s really fun to keep that Thought there, and we’ve noticed that some guys have come to the idea that they’re not going to let that Thought finish. I’m just going to keep it in my head and fail at everything.

So the thought is that “I have a horrible problem with my ex-wife.” I have so much built up rage and hatred and failure that they don’t want to think about it at all, but every time they get into a social circumstance it pops into their head, and they say the insanest, baddest thing that can happen – so there are some really interesting playthroughs there.

But we also want to accomodate for the regular, normal cop. There’s actually a thought you get called “Boring Cop” that you get when you’re a boring cop, a regular law officer kind of guy. So I’ve noticed that about 40% of people play the “straight-up” kind of guy, and then the others kind of mix and match.

RPS: So what have we had, we’ve had 25% of players try to be as bad as they can be –

Kurvitz: Oh yeah, they really try to fuck things up.

RPS: – 40% try their best to be good cops, and then the rest fail some parts but not others?

Kurvitz: Yeah, they let themselves fail. Though sometimes you’re forced to fail because the challenge things comes up, and sometimes it gets really out of control. Like there’s a scene later on where you’re trying to make people take you seriously, and you can try to regain your authority by threatening to kill yourself. Which is a really bad negotiating tactic, but you sort of get caught in this idea So yeah, sometimes you get caught in some of the most extreme mental states that games have tried to include. We do kind of want to help people become that bad cop by challenging them.

disco-elysium-620x349.jpg

RPS: I saw your dev blog describe the “Shiver” skill as the only skill with a supernatural element to it. Are there other supernatural goings on, in the world of Disco Elysium?

Robert: Oh yeah. So the world of Disco Elysium… I think one of the reasons a detective RPG hasn’t been tried yet is because no-one wants to go to fucking noir 1930’s LA. It’s such a dreary place, and such a dreary place for the people who were there. Like the real-worldness of it has been off putting, so it’s kind of important to make you understand that this is a cool escapist other-world that’s terrifyingly different. When the concept of Pale starts coming up it turns really, really other worldly.

RPS: The concept of what, sorry?

Kurvitz: Pale, like the colour. There’s a territory in the world called ‘Pale’, and it’s a really terrifying concept. It’s kind of shaped the geopolitical, and even psychological existence of these people a lot. So there are things drastically different from our own world, which you’re going to start discovering later on in the game. We didn’t want to make that classical RPG mistake of putting a lot of world-building first. We want the personal stuff first, and then we want you to slowly realise that this isn’t your world. We actually get the character themselves starting to ask “Hey, what world is this? Where am I?”

RPS: Ah, that’s interesting because where I was going with this was to ask…How do you be a detective in a world that defies logic?

Kurvitz: You put a lot of points in the Encyclopedia skill, and hope it gives you something you can work with that isn’t Wikipedia tit-bits.

RPS: (laughs) Good answer.

Kurvitz: Yeah so, the Encyclopedia skill can sometimes give you completely useless stuff. Like you ask someone what something is, and they say “It’s a contact microphone”. Then Encyclopedia appears and says “There’s a boxer called Contact Mike”, so you start talking about Contact Mike, and it’s completely useless – though sometimes there’s stuff that can blow the case wide open.

RPS: Right, but you don’t know until you start pursuing that inane thought?

Kurvitz: Right, not all ideas are useful. In RPGs, when you have a good skill, it always gives you the right thing, like it’s an insta-win. In ours, you may not want even want to pick that option. It might completely fuck things up if you say that.

But to go back to the original question, how we do “paranatural” things like we used to call them? We try to keep it in that sort of X-filesy territory. Where things are possible in this world, they’re not ghosts – they’re radio phenomena, like you’re hearing the voices of people that have been long deceased in a long-distance phone call…and because of Pale, you can hear yourself from when you were talking yesterday. So there are these horrorish elements that come along, but there always of the mystery kind rather than the fantasy kind.

RPS: That’s interesting…have you read the City and the City? Was that an inspiration?

Kurvitz: I have, I get that… It’s not an inspiration, no. Well, I’m a shockingly left-wing person, and so is China Mieville, so we have that in common, and we have a similar take on science fiction, too. But I started developing this world and these concepts when I was 15, and I published a novel set in it in 2013. Yeah, China Mieville got there with some slipstream ideas first, but I had no idea he existed!

I’ve read his stuff now, and when I read his stuff I think… This is a really bad career move right now, I understand I’m taking to a journalist, but I think… “Yeah, I’m way better than this”.

RPS: Ohoohohoo!

Kurvitz: (laughs) Yeah, I like his ideas with slipstream, though I don’t like the name “slipstream”. I like his approach to genre stuff, and there are a lot of similarities here. But ours is a complete otherworld, it’s hermetically sealed off, it’s like Lord of the Rings. We’re deep, deep geeks, this isn’t meant for people to go over and go “hnnnngr, what very interesting genre bending”. This is just D&D nerds who wanted to have a telephone in the game.

At the same time, personally I come from soviet science fiction authors, the Strugatsky brothers kind of stuff, who also do a lot of reality bending. I am aware of China Mieville though, yeah.

Jesus fuck, did I just say in an interview that I’m better than China Mieville? Oh fuck it, let’s go with it, whatever.

RPS: (laughs) It’s happened now! Last question: from the very start of the Rezzed demo there’s this overwhelming sense of existential despair. Do things get any cheerier?

Kurvitz: You can succeed despite this. It becomes very much harder for this person. Like, there are scenes near the end that I’m now editing and working on that have been the most painful and shitty things for me to ever write, and I’ve written dark things – REALLY dark things – in my life. I’ve written really dark things about sexuality, I think I’ve challenged myself a lot, and in this game I think I’ve written the least enjoyable things for me in general.

Not that they’re so edgy and dark, but they’re just so sad…

RPS: Bleak?

Kurvitz: Not even bleak, but heartbreakingly bleak. Like… by the time you’re a middle aged man in this world, in a similar world to ours, a lot of people have really been dragged through the mud. And cops, who I have a massive amount of empathy for, have the third highest suicide rates – in Eastern Europe at least – of any profession. It’s really tough stuff, and I wanted to do it justice.

But you can succeed despite all of this, and then I’m hoping there’ll be an extra kind of triumph. So if you do everything right, if you don’t give up and you solve the case right, you may go to a place near the end of the game, and come to a very logical idea that you just didn’t come to before. And then you can not only solve the case, but you can solve the case with flying colours. Like it can be this genius bit of detective work, where you combine two cases and are like “God, I don’t believe what I just did.” There’s a really cool twist that I really like, which tells you something really pretty about the world, too. So, there’s this really gritty kind of melancholy, but at the same time I hope this mysterious, dark world reveals an element to it that is so much better than our world is.

It’s generally a very dark other world, but if you do things right you can come to a kind of “wow, I didn’t expect this” moment. It also makes you look really cool in the eyes of your peers. Like when a cop comes back to the station, and the guys are like “You did it!” They’re fucking clapping you, and no one thought this sad loser was gonna do anything.

So it’s hopefully going to be possible to achieve good things by working – it may not be easy, and there’s no kind of ultimate sweet ending. It depends on the way you play it, but you can really make this person very… insane.

disco-elysium-writing-620x352.jpg

RPS: Are you always going to be some level of broken?

Kurvitz: Yes, yes. But you can be the level of broken where you’ve broken through to the other side, where you’re actually a really good police officer. There’s some Thought Cabinet stuff… it’s especially nice then because when the mystery starts cracking, everything comes together at once. It’s possible to win the game, but there’s a lot of different endings – it’s possible to really darkly fail, and just become a drunk in a seaside shack who’s not really a cop anymore.

RPS: Right, the real last question: why is the game no longer called No Truce With The Furies?

Kurvitz: And instead, it’s called Disco Elysium. Because we’ve been building this world for 16 years maybe now. Before we got funded, there were 13/14 years of pure world building: names of mountain ranges, believable names of political parties and geopolitical entities and so on. A massive piece of work. So when I was 14 I dropped out of school and to this day I have 9 grades of education – I’ve done nothing but hardcore RPG stuff. So I really love the name, when I came up with it, and I’ve never stopped loving it, because it’s such a beautiful name for a realistic world. When you start playing it, there’s this character you can talk to who’ll tell you that it has an in-world meaning, and that it’s a term of endearment for the world.

Our world doesn’t have a term of endearment, right, because we generally think it’s a shithole. It’s a strange thing that none of the billions of habitats of planet Earth have come up with a term of endearment for the world itself. It’s known as “world”, “Earth”… there’s nothing there. It’s like you have a girlfriend called Katie and you start calling her Kat or something, there’s none of this. This to me makes me feel like it probably isn’t a world deserving of a nickname.

So in our game, the world is beautiful and extreme and terrifying enough for it to have a nickname, a way for them to express a love for this reality that they’re in, which is quite beautiful at times, too. They call it ‘Elysium’, and it’s a kind of amor fati world-spirit expression for these people, and your character can find that out by asking people.

So from that moment on I’ve felt I’ve owned this name. Of course since it’s taken 14 years for us to do it, some kind of cynical assholes have ran it to the ground already, but this is ground I won’t concede. This is a name I will fight for, and I wanted it in the fucking title. We couldn’t just call it ‘Elysium’ because Neill Blomkamp fucked up already, so we called it Disco Elysium because the dude has disco clothes on in it. But it is an introduction of our setting, which is Elysium, and we’re not backing off from it – we wanted to claim it for ourselves. It was a territorial power move on our parts, to get the title in there.

RPS: Thanks for your time.

Disco Elysium doesn’t have a fixed release date yet, but the devs are hoping it will arrive at some point this year. You can wishlist it on Steam if interested.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom