Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Darklands

Toraak

Literate
Are there any other historical RPGs like Darklands?

If not, why?

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
And likewise Expeditions Viking. Not to mention Legends of Eisenwald.

Also Realms of Arkania HD.

DavidBVal

4 Dimension Games
Patron
Developer
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Pathfinder: Wrath
Are there any other historical RPGs like Darklands?

Nobody is ever gonna make the same effort you can see in Darklands manual, let alone the game. Even the fucking music is from the right time & area (main theme by Konrad Paumann, actually the oldest keyboard music known). Alchemy, the saints, the medieval hours, weapons... it is astounding. It is the only game I know whose manual has a fucking bibliography section, heh.

If not, why?

Because the same effort put into graphics, romance and/or marketing will produce 10 times more money.

Why nobody builds gothic cathedrals anymore? because nobody would pay for them/buy them.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
If not, why?

LT8ZXqC.jpg

:negative:

Strap Yourselves In Codex+ Now Streaming!
If you can get your hands on the manual it’s definitely worth it. One of the best manuals in gaming.

*Pets his darklands Box in pristine condition with all manuals, inlets and assorted paperwork*

SausageInYourFace

Angelic Reinforcement
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
Seconding Legends of Eisenwald. It isn't historically accurate in the Darklands sense but gives of a very realistic medieval atmosphere in terms of low magic, concepts of honor and medieval society and the looks of armor and weapons.

Edit: It is also currently dirt cheap on GoG.

Last edited:

FreeKaner

Prophet of the Dumpsterfire
Expeditions:conquistador is a great historic mixed with a bit of mysticism game. I didn't get the same vibe from Expeditions:Vikings. On the other hand Vikings has better combat and character systems.

You can also wait for Sawyer's resignation from Obsidian so he can make his dream turn-based historic game set in HRE.

Jason Liang

Arcane
Unfortunately historicity isn't Darklands' best feature.

In fact, it would probably have been more successful had it been slightly less historic and more fantastic. The game's fantastic elements, drawn from religion and folklore, are much more interesting than the "historic" elements.

If you are a fan of Darklands, I recommend Martin Scorsese's movie Silence. Now that would be an awesome faux-historical rpg setting.

As for other computer games, I think the closest would be Crusader Kings 2 and Sid Meier's Pirates!

FreeKaner

Unfortunately historicity isn't Darklands' best feature.

In fact, it would probably have been more successful had it been slightly less historic and more fantastic. The game's fantastic elements, drawn from religion and folklore, are much more interesting than the "historic" elements.

If you are a fan of Darklands, I recommend Martin Scorsese's movie Silence. Now that would be an awesome faux-historical rpg setting.

As for other computer games, I think the closest would be Crusader Kings 2 and Sid Meier's Pirates!

Darkland's mysticism and fantasy is interesting and different precisely because they are sparse and subtle. They are there to spice a historic setting up in the image of what people of then would have thought of supernatural.

Toraak

Literate
Thanks for the suggestions.

Wasn’t the original developer going to release a sequel but it was canceled or something?

DavidBVal

4 Dimension Games
Patron
Developer
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Pathfinder: Wrath
Why nobody builds gothic cathedrals anymore? because nobody would pay for them/buy them.
Well, Sagrada Familia is still being built :lol:

I rest my case.
Building cycle of several hunderd years is pretty normal for original Gothic churches too. Look at Notre Dame or Cologne Cathedral.

Yes. But the fact there's just one (that I know) being built in the entire world while back in the day it was one in each mid-sized town means it's the exception that confirms the rule. ;)

FreeKaner

Architectural trends come and go. I think there are enough Gothic buildings in Europe, I also should remind you when Gothic architecture first came to be in France it was ridiculed and held in contempt by most of the intelligentsia of the day, they called it barbaric and tasteless hence the name Gothic.

Regardless, considering Darklands is one of the first (If not the first?) open world sandbox RPG and those are rather popular now, I would not make that comparison either.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom