Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Make tough choices in Bastard, the final standalone expansion for Legends of Eisenwald

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Aterdux Entertainment; Bastard

Since the release of its Road to Iron Forest DLC back in November 2015, Aterdux Entertainment's strategy RPG Legends of Eisenwald has been sold alongside a $15 season pass promising two additional DLCs. The first of these turned out to be a standalone expansion that was crowdfunded and released a year later, just in time for a certain election. Today, Eisenwald has finally received its third and final expansion, also standalone. Its name is Bastard, and it too appears to be inspired by certain real life concerns, as the game's trailer and description will make clear:

Have you ever thought about the price of being good, even in bad times? Bastard is an adventure that puts an emphasis on decision-making. A realistic medieval world is waiting for you - tactical combat and a detective story included. And most importantly: people whose problems and questions have been the same for centuries.

Game features
  • Experience a deep story that reflects on the cost of being a good person in a bad world.
  • Enjoy a fresh take on the classic medieval setting.
  • Take a stand on social issues that are challenging yet essential up to this very day.
  • Your choices determine how the plot unfolds - and into which of its many possible endings.
  • Immerse yourself in a unique narrative system.
  • Master tactical battles combined with RPG elements known from Legends of Eisenwald.

You can get Bastard on Steam or GOG for a cool $9, with a 10% discount until next week. What comes next for Aterdux, I wonder?

Last edited by a moderator:

vonAchdorf

Arcane
Take a stand on social issues that are challenging yet essential up to this very day.

Is this inspired by Dragon Commander? In the trailer, sodomy is only featured decision, in their other promo material, they have more (abortion / infanticide?).

SausageInYourFace

Angelic Reinforcement
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
LoE is a seriously underrated little gem.

I am glad this apparently found relative success and even a few DLC. Looking forward to Aterdux next project and hopefully a LoE2 one day.

Finished a first playthrough. My Impressions:
  • Story focused like LoE.
  • No more sidemissions or hidden secrets which is a shame in my opinion, these were some of the best parts about LoE
  • Personally, I have trouble seeing the much touted "tough" decisions as tough: Choosing the "evil" decision has no repercussions whatsoever.
Overall I enjoyed it much more than Blood of November, but its inferior to the main game in my opinion as it focuses too much on philosophical questions instead of telling a good, medieval and fairytale inspired story like LoE did.

Mark Richard

Arcane
Frankly I thought the main game did a great job of telling a 'deep story that reflects on the cost of being a good person in a bad world' without the need to advertise it so bluntly. Every moral decision seemed to be followed by a swift punch to the gut, till I was left questioning the methods used to achieve my goals and even the goals themselves. There's a quest where you can blow through your savings to rescue someone for virtually no reward, and characters to talk to who examine a noble's ethical responsibility. Gradually I became ruthless and oppertunistic, determined to secure the future of my family by any means necessary. LoE did something not a lot of other games have - it tempted me. The game genuinely lead me away from the goody-two-shoes playthrough I'd planned, shaping a belief that I can only be as good as this world allows me to be.

:incline:

Last edited:

Azalin

Arcane
Patron
  • No more sidemissions or hidden secrets which is a shame in my opinion, these were some of the best parts about LoE
  • Personally, I have trouble seeing the much touted "tough" decisions as tough: Choosing the "evil" decision has no repercussions whatsoever.
Overall I enjoyed it much more than Blood of November, but its inferior to the main game in my opinion as it focuses too much on philosophical questions instead of telling a good, medieval and fairytale inspired story like LoE did.

Is it a single map or multiple maps?

Is it a single map or multiple maps?

Three different maps. The main quest makes you visit pretty much the entire map, but without any sidequests to do its p. boring.

Aterdux Entertainment

Aterdux Entertainment
Developer
Here is a quote from the very first review of the game by twow.ru:
If you like "The Name of the Rose" and you look for an excuse to get drunk alone, the game is a must buy. If you are open to receiving new experience from games and give games a right not only to entertain but also give a reason to pause and think, then "Bastard" might become for you a great find.

Trash Player

Scholar
Despite pretty much being a morality tale played straight, I still remember the story of the main game, while normally I can't be bothered to read that of others.
I still remember Iron Millstone and that helpful friar, not sure why.

AbounI

Colonist
Patron
Dear Aterdux Entertainment, what can you tell us about Good Knight?
https://www.giantbomb.com/good-knight/3030-61479/
2962789-img_3211.png

A friend of mine told me he will be in charge of the French translation (so you may guess who I am talking about), so now my curiosity is set on high

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Aterdux Entertainment

Aterdux Entertainment
Developer
Yes, we have an investor and we have been working on it last 5-6 months in parallel with the new expansion. There were some unforeseen issues, so it got delayed quite a lot. I tried to show some short slice of GK in September in PAX West but too many issues arised in weeks before the show and we were unable to fix them. And in the end we dropped it since making work just a piece of the game was a goal just for the show, working on it more wouldn't help the game in its entirety.

A friend of mine told me he will be in charge of the French translation (so you may guess who I am talking about), so now my curiosity is set on high
Probably not only me but many people could know who he is :)

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Here is a quote from the very first review of the game by twow.ru:
If you like "The Name of the Rose" and you look for an excuse to get drunk alone, the game is a must buy. If you are open to receiving new experience from games and give games a right not only to entertain but also give a reason to pause and think, then "Bastard" might become for you a great find.

time to get some smirnoff and start a playthrough then

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom