Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pre-DLC Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

Sòren

Arcane
ending spoilers

so eothas decided to destroy the whole world because some furry guy told him he hates all life. fishwoman's comment: "uhh i don't think that's what we are here for... but that's just my opinion i guess."
if you call this "improved writing compared to POE 1" i swear by allah i will shoot myself right here.

i also love how noone thought about how to actually stop eothas from destroying the wheel. as if it is almost irrelevant if he fucks up the whole reincarnation process. and i don't even want to think about what the consequences are once that stops, i don't think the writers themselves did. they will probably figure that one out once they are working on the sequel, if there is any.

visuals are still gorgeous though.

TT1

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
So, I just left Neketaka, 41 hours into the game. Probably I will finish with 70-80 hours.

Parabalus

Arcane
And don't forget Fig investors get a significant cut in royalties.
Can't wait to see what sort of impossible drama this nonsense will trigger in the end.

Imagine backing Dumpsterfire on Fig and merrily expecting some payoffs, then reading the MCA bombshell that Feargus doesn't even let owners cash out.

:slamdunk:

1 Empower per encounter can stay it's fun. Just remove its ability to give power points and cut power points across the board.

Everyone has too much mana. Add some of it back as passive abilities or something for making spammer builds.
1 Empower per encounter can stay it's fun. Just remove its ability to give power points and cut power points across the board.

Everyone has too much mana. Add some of it back as passive abilities or something for making spammer builds.

Probably best to cut high level ability power cost and lower the total power pool - you can spam too much low level stuff at high levels IMO.

Just give empower to enemies, so you too get your shit pushed in by empowerd Amplified Waves or Cleansing Fires.
And so, the modding and rebalance insanity begins... :lol:

I think Sawyer will remove Empower or add it to enemies himself, it's likely the AwesomeButton was only there to entice the masses.

Lexx

Cipher
Well, wouldn't be surprised if the 2 millions from "investors" on fig is primarily just certain Obsidian owners who tried to increase the monetary outcome for PR reasons. After all, "funded with 4+ millions" sounds better than "barely funded with 2 millions".

Self-Ejected

MajorMace

Self-Ejected
Patron
So, I just left Neketaka, 41 hours into the game. Probably I will finish with 70-80 hours.
Ahah no.

Well, wouldn't be surprised if the 2 millions from "investors" on fig is primarily just certain Obsidian owners who tried to increase the monetary outcome for PR reasons. After all, "funded with 4+ millions" sounds better than "barely funded with 2 millions".
That'd do for a fig drama.
Let it be so.
And have MCA reveal more info in his gossip thread.

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

Ha, the game needs to turn a profit for there to be any royalties. Given Feargus' MO, I wouldn't be surprised if they actually under-invested in Deadfire. Maybe used some of the money to subsidize The Outer Worlds, as they're going to own that IP and as a AAA ARPG it has much more blockbuster potential. Given the poor sales so far, I'm sure Feargus will find a way to keep from paying the Fig backers one red cent.

Haven't you guys seen The Producers? Under the right circumstances, you could make more money from a flop than a successful game so long as you bring in enough investors. Feargus Urquhart IS Zero Mostel. I wonder if that means Sawyer is Gene Wilder.

Parabalus

Arcane

Ha, the game needs to turn a profit for there to be any royalties. Given Feargus' MO, I wouldn't be surprised if they actually under-invested in Deadfire. Maybe used some of the money to subsidize The Outer Worlds, as they're going to own that IP and as a AAA ARPG it has much more blockbuster potential. Given the poor sales so far, I'm sure Feargus will find a way to keep from paying the Fig backers one red cent.

Haven't you guys seen The Producers? Under the right circumstances, you could make more money from a flop than a successful game so long as you bring in enough investors. Feargus Urquhart IS Zero Mostel. I wonder if that means Sawyer is Gene Wilder.

If the Fig contract really pays out based on profits I'm sure Feargus is a master of Hollywood Accounting.

Fig turning out to be a planned swindling scheme is likely giving too much credit to upper management, they expected a slam dunk and got a Dumpsterfire, now he's trying to put it out by throwing people on the fire.

Self-Ejected

MajorMace

Self-Ejected
Patron
How my ending went

Find Eothas rubbing an adra phallus.

Conversation goes like this :
Me > the fuck you're doing ?
God > we aren't real so I destroy everything that holds the world together
Me > lol do it
Dark Xoti > YeeeeEEEES May the age of darkness begiiiiin 666 !!!!
Edér > NOOOoOoOoOoOOOO
God > what the fuck that's wrong ok I'll do it

God destroys the souls washing machine.
Fin.

Ending slide > Xoti left and last reports suggest that she slaughters people with her sickle, living a perpetual nightmare.
Also ending slide > Edér and Xoti became good friends :hug:

Last edited:

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Just finished the game. Took 70 hours. Feel a bit burned out, but mostly because the fights was so damn easy at the end. Liked it overall, but!
What did I actually accomplish at the end?

I just let Eothas hammer away at the machine. The machine broke, kith freed from the "gods" (or so I believe anyway - they were still there watching?), but then only for the machine to rebuilt again eventually? I'm not sure what difference I made, if any. Biggest difference doesn't come from the main story, it comes from who I choose to ally myself with, and then that mostly just involves the Deadfire. You would think the whole God thing would be a bit bigger, but I got the feeling that it was just a minor thing, something brushed aside. The in-between will be restored somehow by engineers... whatever, the end, goodbye!

Man, even for all the faults Pillars of Eternity has, the main story felt more gripping, and in the end, it actually felt like you did something, compared to this...

Maybe I'm wrong though and missed something?

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
Given the drastically improved production values in this game ( full VO, better graphics and tons of handcrafted content instead of endless bands of trash mobs) Obsidian must have invested fuckton of their own money into this beyond what they got from Fig. They were already working on this thing and were far into production by the time Fig campaign started.
I've killed, like, severaldozens oа trash mob captains by now and I am at mid-game only

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Who the fuck thought it was a good idea to have bounty quest givers all over the maps? Instead of centralized on a single npc, or better yet, an bounty board you can access from any point in the game world.

Shit design is shit.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I think Sawyer will remove Empower or add it to enemies himself, it's likely the AwesomeButton was only there to entice the masses.
I don't remember what was the point in Empower in the first place? To have at least some resource that is per rest?

Well, it's easy to mess with notepad.
I refuse to post any screenshots until I have the pretty skeuomorphic interface in place.

Haven't you guys seen The Producers?
The Producers is a favorite of mine, especially the version with Uma Thurman. :shredder:

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Who the fuck thought it was a good idea to have bounty quest givers all over the maps? Instead of centralized on a single npc, or better yet, an bounty board you can access from any point in the game world.

Shit design is shit.
I see you haven't played Sid Meier's Pirates!

Projas

Information Superhighwayman
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Empower needs to be removed. It's basically a cheat and serves no purpose.
My thoughts exactly, and nothing easier than that. But what would be cool would be if you toned down all abilities significantly, so that they only hit normally with Empower. Welcome to the world of per-rest abilities, with sadistically weak per-encounter versions.

That's when AI comes in - on e.g. boss fights I want to use all 7 fighterpoints points manually, for trash fights not really, just like I don't need to aim Devotions manually on trash fights, but I do on bosses. In IE fighters are always brainless and I'd just micro spellcasters, why not spread the micro around, if total micro is conserved?
I can't stop myself from clicking abilities even on trash fights, or now that there are no "trash fights", on the final surviving enemies. My assumption is that this way I will end them quicker, which is not always true, due to the sheer time needed to click and target while paused. After a certain point, I'd have been better off just autoattacking the trash. The thing is, it's difficult to calculate which is better on the fly.

The first would then entail rebalancing all passives, since very rarely would something be worth using with -10 PL. Seems pointless, but I get you probably meant in tongue in cheek.

I usually micro just my PC+ some casters in every fight, stuff like rangers/monks/fighters only in important battles.

You can be a selfish dick and make everyone fight you in the endgame, every faction.

Companions though, yeah, no options, bad reactivity for them, bugs etc.

For a party of 5 you need at least around 12 companions (game only has 7): 4 good, 4 neutral, 4 evil. Or 5-6 good (because most pick good, and you need options there), 3 neutral, 3 evil.

This is the ratio BG2 had after they reduced amount of companions because increased amount of content for them:
Good 7
Neutrals 5
Evil 3+1

you can't join with the Vampires to kill everyone else BG 2 style evil,
Yes you can,the vampires at the lower left island can be talked to,you could recruit them to fight the other factions. Still waiting to see someone doing it.

I think that choice is fake, I tried doing it and it only led to
being able to poison him. You also meant the lower right island, right?
Yes,i got the option to give him something adra and to say to them that they don't need to eat people and can eat something adra. I believe that i stole the adra from the mill,its picture have some adra in a cup.
You can also get him to ally with you if you
helped the slavers on Crookspur and you offer to provide him with regular shipments of slaves. Idk what the consenquences down the line are though, because I ended up not doing it.
How's that for evil choices.

Self-Ejected

MajorMace

Self-Ejected
Patron
You can also get him to ally with you if you
helped the slavers on Crookspur and you offer to provide him with regular shipments of slaves. Idk what the consenquences down the line are though, because I ended up not doing it.
How's that for evil choices.
That's pretty cool.
I wish they took the time to fully flesh the minor factions out. Especially Crookspur, the far right natives and ghost town.
This game has a lot of neat ideas but doesn't explore them nearly enough.

Self-Ejected

MajorMace

Self-Ejected
Patron
Last time a dev sold me a randomized set of isles, I found myself discovering a tiny america with Portugal in eu4.

Mind you, that'd be a cool option actually. Way to make the boring sea travel not hurt replayability too much.

Ziggy

Scholar
Oh , hey. I started another playthrough and it seems that map has been randomized. Neketaka was south-west, now it's north-east.

Well played, Josh. That is fucking brilliant.

only small part of the map is open in Act I. cmon

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom