Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pre-DLC Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

Shadenuat

Arcane
You really like to tackle content twice your level I see :thumbsup:

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Also what's with the lack of evil choices and evil companions in this game, PoE 1 included. Every quest is basically a form of a do-gooder's crusade with 0 choices to intimidate or be a jerk, almost every quest ends up with you being a benevolent shmuck or neutral , no scheeming to betray your quest giver for a better reward, no way to make others bend to your will either, just '' Oh Watcher you are so great, let me suck your dick''. Also every companion is a happy-camping prick that wants to save the world, you have no way to make them evil either, you have no Viconia, no Edwin, no Ignus, no Xzar, no way to actually have some fun, just a bunch of daddy issue hipster peta loving faggots that want to save the world, there's no fun in saving the world.

Alignment as implemented in D&D doesn't exist in the world of Pillars of Eternity, but you can be cruel and dishonest (ergo, treacherous) all of the time. You can murder and betray people constantly.

Most of the companions prefer to do good, but almost all of them are underwritten as neutral enough to do evil, due to the nature of the world they live in.
You can also be cruel and kind while being dishonest and honest. The alignment system is garbage,D&D have pretty logical system,i see no reason to use something similar. If they care about license they could just use different words like anarchic and orderly.

I mean, to the extent that a civilization of Dark Elves who are philosophically, culturally, and religiously committed to evil and anarchy in a self-conscious, purposeful way can be logical.

Characters and factions in Eora tend to act the same way historical personalities and countries have acted in history; in a morally elusive, difficult-to-evaluate way.

Parabalus

Arcane
IE games fighter don't even have per rest abilities out side of kits. Only thing that comes to mind is Maximized Attacks in IWD and that's not even in base DnD, but was shoehorned in by JES because he knew fighters felt meh.
I'm not saying take all active abilities away from non-caster classes, that would be insane, and an insane amount of work to re-balance. I would definitely cut some of them though.

If I'm going to start most combat encounters in the game with 3-4 active abilities available and 6-7 fighterpower points (because you spend most of the game in the midrange levels), then that's just too much to the point that I don't have to think economically about when to use my powers, especially when my fighterpower points are replenished after combat ends. It also weighs on the combat flow because of the long pausing, and thus worsens my experience of the game.

That's when AI comes in - on e.g. boss fights I want to use all 7 fighterpoints points manually, for trash fights not really, just like I don't need/want to aim Devotions manually on trash fights, but I do on bosses.
In IE fighters are always brainless and I'd just micro spellcasters more, why not spread the micro around, if total micro is conserved?

What are the chances of PoE3: The Dumpster That Dumps? I'd say around nil.

Depends if it is profitable. Remember that it was also partially funded by FIG platform
So it sells for 50$ + there is 20$ season pass and i have no doubt a lot of people will buy it.
Secondly RPGs always have VERY LONG legs so even in 10 years it will be still providing profit to Obsidian.

Even assuming it will sell only 300k at launch price + 100k season pass + 2mln from FIG:

15mln + 2mln + 2mln = 19mln without any steam cut, taxes or anything else. Even after taxes it should be enough to cover for development of game.

And that is ignoring any sales above that + console release like PoE1 had.

It's currently questionable whether Dumpsterfire has even broken 100k on Steam, 300k is looking more and more like a fever dream.

dragonul09

Arcane
Edgy
You can be a selfish dick and make everyone fight you in the endgame, every faction.

Companions though, yeah, no options, bad reactivity for them, bugs etc.

For a party of 5 you need at least around 12 companions (game only has 7): 4 good, 4 neutral, 4 evil. Or 5-6 good (because most pick good, and you need options there), 3 neutral, 3 evil.

This is the ratio BG2 had after they reduced amount of companions because increased amount of content for them:
Good 7
Neutrals 5
Evil 3+1

At the end? I wanted to be the scourge of DeadFire from the start, not at the end. I've done 50 quests and sure you can lie in some of them and have some neutral-chaotic choices, but you can't be evil, you can't consort with evil people, you can't join with the Vampires to kill everyone else BG 2 style evil, you just can't maximize your evilness, everything ends up with you being mildly assholish, that's not evil. Hell, even Dragon Age Origins gave you the choice to kill almost every single companion you met and some of them in gruesome ways, which was pretty dandy.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Also what's with the lack of evil choices and evil companions in this game, PoE 1 included. Every quest is basically a form of a do-gooder's crusade with 0 choices to intimidate or be a jerk, almost every quest ends up with you being a benevolent shmuck or neutral , no scheeming to betray your quest giver for a better reward, no way to make others bend to your will either, just '' Oh Watcher you are so great, let me suck your dick''. Also every companion is a happy-camping prick that wants to save the world, you have no way to make them evil either, you have no Viconia, no Edwin, no Ignus, no Xzar, no way to actually have some fun, just a bunch of daddy issue hipster peta loving faggots that want to save the world, there's no fun in saving the world.

Alignment as implemented in D&D doesn't exist in the world of Pillars of Eternity, but you can be cruel and dishonest (ergo, treacherous) all of the time. You can murder and betray people constantly.

Most of the companions prefer to do good, but almost all of them are underwritten as neutral enough to do evil, due to the nature of the world they live in.
You can also be cruel and kind while being dishonest and honest. The alignment system is garbage,D&D have pretty logical system,i see no reason to use something similar. If they care about license they could just use different words like anarchic and orderly.

I mean, to the extent that a civilization of Dark Elves who are philosophically, culturally, and religiously committed to evil and anarchy in a self-conscious, purposeful way can be logical.

Characters and factions in Eora tend to act the same way historical personalities and countries have acted in history; in a morally elusive, difficult-to-evaluate way.
Well it makes everyone grey and boring. Greyness is good when in contrast to good/evil. If everyone and everything is grey,then it is boring.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Empower needs to be removed. It's basically a cheat and serves no purpose.
My thoughts exactly, and nothing easier than that. But what would be cool would be if you toned down all abilities significantly, so that they only hit normally with Empower. Welcome to the world of per-rest abilities, with sadistically weak per-encounter versions.

i appreciate a game that allows me to do that
You can also do this with level scaling on/scale only upwards. Nothing will get downscaled to match you, but everything below your level will be upscaled to your level.

That's when AI comes in - on e.g. boss fights I want to use all 7 fighterpoints points manually, for trash fights not really, just like I don't need to aim Devotions manually on trash fights, but I do on bosses. In IE fighters are always brainless and I'd just micro spellcasters, why not spread the micro around, if total micro is conserved?
I can't stop myself from clicking abilities even on trash fights, or now that there are no "trash fights", on the final surviving enemies. My assumption is that this way I will end them quicker, which is not always true, due to the sheer time needed to click and target while paused. After a certain point, I'd have been better off just autoattacking the trash. The thing is, it's difficult to calculate which is better on the fly.

Shadenuat

Arcane
Too bad companions are all just modern nice friendly gay peoplez. With accents.

And yeah I think saying that everyone acts in Eora historically is not very true is it. Difficult to evaluate maybe.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
You can be a selfish dick and make everyone fight you in the endgame, every faction.

For a party of 5 you need at least around 12 companions (game only has 7): 4 good, 4 neutral, 4 evil. Or 5-6 good (because most pick good, and you need options there), 3 neutral, 3 evil.

This is the ratio BG2 had after they reduced amount of companions because increased amount of content for them:
Good 7
Neutrals 5
Evil 3+1

you can't join with the Vampires to kill everyone else BG 2 style evil,
Yes you can,the vampires at the lower left island can be talked to,you could recruit them to fight the other factions. Still waiting to see someone doing it.

Parabalus

Arcane
My thoughts exactly, and nothing easier than that. But what would be cool would be if you toned down all abilities significantly, so that they only hit normally with Empower. Welcome to the world of per-rest abilities, with sadistically weak per-encounter versions.

That's when AI comes in - on e.g. boss fights I want to use all 7 fighterpoints points manually, for trash fights not really, just like I don't need to aim Devotions manually on trash fights, but I do on bosses. In IE fighters are always brainless and I'd just micro spellcasters, why not spread the micro around, if total micro is conserved?
I can't stop myself from clicking abilities even on trash fights, or now that there are no "trash fights", on the final surviving enemies. My assumption is that this way I will end them quicker, which is not always true, due to the sheer time needed to click and target while paused. After a certain point, I'd have been better off just autoattacking the trash. The thing is, it's difficult to calculate which is better on the fly.

The first would then entail rebalancing all passives, since very rarely would something be worth using with -10 PL. Seems pointless, but I get you probably meant in tongue in cheek.

I usually micro just my PC+ some casters in every fight, stuff like rangers/monks/fighters only in important battles.

Good 7
Neutrals 5
Evil 3+1

Yes you can,the vampires at the lower left island can be talked to,you could recruit them to fight the other factions. Still waiting to see someone doing it.

I think that choice is fake, I tried doing it and it only led to
being able to poison him. You also meant the lower right island, right?

AwesomeButton

Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Seems pointless, but I get you probably meant in tongue in cheek
If anyone is mad enough to try to rebalance the damage/duration of every ability in the game, and do this without really knowing how and how much Empower actually improves them, he has my admiration :lol:

I would just cut the empowers per level to 0, and set the starting empower to 0, much cleaner. Criticals should be "empowered" versions enough for everyone.

BTW what happens if you empower a high level direct damage spell and it crits? It should leave a crater in the ground.

I usually micro just my PC+ some casters in every fight, stuff like rangers/monks/fighters only in important battles.
I have to have everything under control and this ends with me spending most of the combats in paused mode.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath

I've been saying this since forever. I brought it up in a different context, though, since spellcasters weren't as overpowered as they seem to have been buffed now for release, but the end conclusion is the same - it has to be removed.

Parabalus

Arcane
Seems pointless, but I get you probably meant in tongue in cheek
If anyone is mad enough to try to rebalance the damage/duration of every ability in the game, and do this without really knowing how and how much Empower actually improves them, he has my admiration :lol:

I would just cut the empowers per level to 0, and set the starting empower to 0, much cleaner. Criticals should be "empowered" versions enough for everyone.

BTW what happens if you empower a high level direct damage spell and it crits? It should leave a crater in the ground.

I have to have everything under control and this ends with me spending most of the combats in paused mode.

I did that in PoE1 but felt pointless in Deadfire with the undertuned combat.

Empowered Wilting Wind from Aloth (so not optimized) does around 300 Raw damage in a huge AoE on a crit IIRC. Meteor shower probably does 800 total per target, never tried to parse that or Storm of Holy fire though. Disintegrate does around 1k Raw to one target over 20 ish seconds. If you empower the chanter dragon summon it lands with over 2k health.

:balance:

FreeKaner

Prophet of the Dumpsterfire
1 Empower per encounter can stay it's fun. Just remove its ability to give power points and cut power points across the board.

Everyone has too much mana. Add some of it back as passive abilities or something for making spammer builds.

Parabalus

Arcane
1 Empower per encounter can stay it's fun. Just remove its ability to give power points and cut power points across the board.

Everyone has too much mana. Add some of it back as passive abilities or something for making spammer builds.

Probably best to cut high level ability power cost and lower the total power pool - you can spam too much low level stuff at high levels IMO.

Just give empower to enemies, so you too get your shit pushed in by empowerd Amplified Waves or Cleansing Fires.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

The first would then entail rebalancing all passives, since very rarely would something be worth using with -10 PL. Seems pointless, but I get you probably meant in tongue in cheek.

Good 7
Neutrals 5
Evil 3+1

I think that choice is fake, I tried doing it and it only led to
being able to poison him. You also meant the lower right island, right?
Yes,i got the option to give him something adra and to say to them that they don't need to eat people and can eat something adra. I believe that i stole the adra from the mill,its picture have some adra in a cup.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Given the drastically improved production values in this game ( full VO, better graphics and tons of handcrafted content instead of endless bands of trash mobs) Obsidian must have invested fuckton of their own money into this beyond what they got from Fig. They were already working on this thing and were far into production by the time Fig campaign started.

And don't forget Fig investors get a significant cut in royalties.

So while the game will definitely be profitable in the end, it's not enough for it to just be go out of the red zone if we are to get another decent sequel.

More importantly, if Fig investors don't break even on their 2 million, Fig is fucking dead and buried. They could go back to Kickstarter but hype died out so there's no chance they get another 4 million from crowdfunding.

AwesomeButton

Patron

Probably best to cut high level ability power cost and lower the total power pool - you can spam too much low level stuff at high levels IMO.

Just give empower to enemies, so you too get your shit pushed in by empowerd Amplified Waves or Cleansing Fires.
And so, the modding and rebalance insanity begins... :lol:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom