Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pre-DLC Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

TT1

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
How is possible that Exceptional Whisper of the Endless Path is worst than a simple Great Sword?

pbPCl3T.jpg

The Great ThunThun*

How DARE you!?
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
The worst autists in this business are the ones who resent save-reload. What kind of OCD is this? This is a game dammit. If you want to larp ironman don't reload.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Shit I can't find any decent adice on a single-class builds because every forum is plagued by MULTICLASSOR retards. Even when someone asks about single class build there are aways degenerates, bubbling "HURR WHY NOT MULTICAS BRUDDA? TRY MULTI NIGGA"
Also, game, designed by an Apostle of Balance is so unbalanced that official forums is ridden with invulnerable builds. And according to that posts mods delete them from time to time.
I didn't have any multiclass in my game. Don't know why you need build thou,the game is far too easy for any strategies in the build.

frajaq

Erudite
Even at Veteran you can just go with what you think is cool honestly

Eder as a Fighter? Sure, cool, classic tank Eder
Eder as a Rogue? Nice, original design Eder, might be interesting to play as one
Eder as Fighter/Rogue? Whatever, its cool, a little spice from both sides

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Dragons should have spell resist, not more hp.

They already resist quite a bit and have high defences I think.

Also let me put it this way, if everything in the game had 1 HP would you still argue this zealously against any sort of HP increase? Why do people think any sort of HP increase is bad? Dragon Age PSTD?
If between him and my party there is 20 buffed warrior and he could cast extremely powerful spells and he is defended by impenetrable spell wall connected to the 20 buffed warriors...yeah. But sadly that would be too new and cool for obsidian. I would prefer better encounters with more enemies than hp bloat,still some enemies do need more health.

Last edited:

Sentinel

Arcane
and you can't hover over the statuses on enemies in the stat preview window and check wtf they mean (unless I'm missing something again).
you mean this window?

8veMTUe.png

The red icon is the type of affliction it is. The blue item is the type of affliction that counters it. The icons correspond to each character attribute IIRC.

fq24aVd.png

dragonul09

Arcane
Edgy
Also what's with the lack of evil choices and evil companions in this game, PoE 1 included. Every quest is basically a form of a do-gooder's crusade with 0 choices to intimidate or be a jerk, almost every quest ends up with you being a benevolent shmuck or neutral , no scheeming to betray your quest giver for a better reward, no way to make others bend to your will either, just '' Oh Watcher you are so great, let me suck your dick''. Also every companion is a happy-camping prick that wants to save the world, you have no way to make them evil either, you have no Viconia, no Edwin, no Ignus, no Xzar, no way to actually have some fun, just a bunch of daddy issue hipster peta loving faggots that want to save the world, there's no fun in saving the world.

FreeKaner

Prophet of the Dumpsterfire
In PoE1 there was plenty of options to be an asshole both in dialogue and quest choices.

I agree the companions did lack diversity in terms of characterisation when it comes to being less than idealistic.

Sentinel

Arcane
I'm not sure if the people going on about the abundance of content in PoE2 are trolling or if they simply haven't finished the game.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
you mean this window?

okay but still can't hover over confused, blinded and cinder bomb to see what that does

and while those are at least things you have in your spellbooks or whatever that you can cross-reference somehow, the same is not true for all the monster special buffs that are a complete mystery - it's pretty dumb that they don't have their own tooltips at least in the bestiary or sth

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
Last night I was having fun running around Neretaka (sp?) doing quests/fights. Some of them were actually mildly challenging. But how many times are they going to use the "questgiver betrays you/travel ambush" trick?

I see the other issue with the combat is everyone blows their loads and sometimes all the enemies are still standing, so then what do you do? That's what "empower" is for I guess but this shit all just bugs me. It's the 4E D&D problem of making everyone some flavor of caster. Does a swordsman really have "swordfighting mana" and runs out of ability to do special moves? Ehhhh.

Last edited:

dragonul09

Arcane
Edgy
In PoE1 there was plenty of options to be an asshole both in dialogue and quest choices.

I agree the companions did lack diversity in terms of characterisation when it comes to being less than idealistic.

But you can't be evil, not even close to evil, there's no quest to actually give you that feel that you are a sadistic fuck and deserve to be put down like a rabid dog. There's no backstabing, no betrayals, you can't manipulate your companions, you can't tell them to fuck off and die, it's just too campy.

Self-Ejected

MajorMace

Self-Ejected
Patron
Alright I'm finished.
What a pointless story, in addition of being retarded. I like how the game asks you again and again why you hunt eothas for no other reason than to clumsily attempt to make you not realize that you, yet again, have no agency. It miserably fails and has the opposite effect.
Last area looks like a surprising waste of ressources.
At least dark Xoti is a thing.

Reactivity, whether we talk poe1 savestate or choices in game, is confirmed as non-existent to superficial.

Special mention for berath's "remember your choice about Thaos ? Here's another one !!".
It's a great way to tell me that it yet again ends on a completely pointless choice.

My oh my, what a waste.

Shadenuat

Arcane
You can be a selfish dick and make everyone fight you in the endgame, every faction.

Companions though, yeah, no options, bad reactivity for them, bugs etc.

For a party of 5 you need at least around 12 companions (game only has 7): 4 good, 4 neutral, 4 evil. Or 5-6 good (because most pick good, and you need options there), 3 neutral, 3 evil.

This is the ratio BG2 had after they reduced amount of companions because increased amount of content for them:
Good 7
Neutrals 5
Evil 3+1

Last edited:
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Also what's with the lack of evil choices and evil companions in this game, PoE 1 included. Every quest is basically a form of a do-gooder's crusade with 0 choices to intimidate or be a jerk, almost every quest ends up with you being a benevolent shmuck or neutral , no scheeming to betray your quest giver for a better reward, no way to make others bend to your will either, just '' Oh Watcher you are so great, let me suck your dick''. Also every companion is a happy-camping prick that wants to save the world, you have no way to make them evil either, you have no Viconia, no Edwin, no Ignus, no Xzar, no way to actually have some fun, just a bunch of daddy issue hipster peta loving faggots that want to save the world, there's no fun in saving the world.

Alignment as implemented in D&D doesn't exist in the world of Pillars of Eternity, but you can be cruel, aggressive, and dishonest (ergo, treacherous) all of the time. You can murder and betray people constantly.

Most of the companions prefer to do good, but almost all of them are underwritten as neutral enough to do evil, due to the nature of the world they live in.

Last edited:

Parabalus

Arcane
In comparison to IE games where with sneak attack you could one shot even high level fighters let alone squishy mages.

Someone was mentioning one-shotting a dragon with an empowered spell. This is not OK.

Empower needs to be removed. It's basically a cheat and serves no purpose.

Shit I can't find any decent adice on a single-class builds because every forum is plagued by MULTICLASSOR retards. Even when someone asks about single class build there are aways degenerates, bubbling "HURR WHY NOT MULTICAS BRUDDA? TRY MULTI NIGGA"
Also, game, designed by an Apostle of Balance is so unbalanced that official forums is ridden with invulnerable builds. And according to that posts mods delete them from time to time.

It was obvious from the start multi-classing is gonna be broken on release. I've made my entire party single-class.

Single classes are also broken, the casters especially.

What angered me the most is that Obsidian axed Donge. And Assassins and rogues were left with Reflex defense, which is...AoE protection. Because AoE protection is what melee assassins and rogue class needs. The most useless and almost never used defense, which means that rogues must either invest in useless stats to boost deflection or be a glass cannons, with no defense and crappy escape options. On top of that assassins have bonus only from initial stealth attack and other stealth skils does not trigger assassinate skill.
So fighters now play as old dodge characters. And rogues are left with dup defense stat. Bullshit.

Rogues are great because their invisibility spells are short cast time with no recovery, and they disjoint projectiles - you can reliably reactively use them to dodge enemy attacks and abilities. Slippery and fragile, like rogues should be.
How is possible that Exceptional Whisper of the Endless Path is worst than a simple Great Sword?

pbPCl3T.jpg

That's likely the best 2h melee weapon in the game, it double hits the main target. Absolutely broken.

Parabalus

Arcane
You can be a selfish dick and make everyone fight you in the endgame, every faction.

Companions though, yeah, no options, bad reactivity for them, bugs etc.

There is a very cool option at the end, after you commit terrorism, you have to answer to the ruler and be questioned - you can go "Ye I did that, bitch, you got a problem with it?", everyone gasps in shock and then you murder them all.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

Alignment as implemented in D&D doesn't exist in the world of Pillars of Eternity, but you can be cruel and dishonest (ergo, treacherous) all of the time. You can murder and betray people constantly.

Most of the companions prefer to do good, but almost all of them are underwritten as neutral enough to do evil, due to the nature of the world they live in.
You can also be cruel and kind while being dishonest and honest. The alignment system is garbage,D&D have pretty logical system,i see no reason to use something similar. If they care about license they could just use different words like anarchic and orderly.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
speaking of broken things

AHxNqD.jpg

pictured: serafen running in circles from the steel preacher while boreale peppers him with grazes

not pictured: serafen finally going down, forcing boreale to constantly hide behind a rock to break the preacher's aggro and continue to pepper him with grazes until he dies :lol:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom