Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Iron Danger - tactical combat RPG with simultaneous turns and time manipulation

hepphep

Action Squad Studios
Developer
For those who are interested, we are running these minon-of-week contests in our server through which you can for example get to name a corpse in-game (and when things move forward more prizes will be revealed). Also we try to actively answer to any community questions in there and regularly post some progress. So if any of you are interested of such stuff, feel free to pop in (.. and stay forever) at http://discord.gg/FJ7YDrr

Will of course keep on lurking here as well and trying to ask any questions you all might have.

ushas

Savant
Ah, mainly the time manipulation itself is for shorter terms, but not limited to just the combat themselves. So, not rewinding back for a day or two to change things are in plan (at least currently, of course if we find that to serve the game well things are open to change). It allows you short-time quick save kind of things as well of course, but the main focus is to give very new tactical aspect that makes you think more forward to not paint you in corner and turns battles more puzzle-like in the sense. There are some story twists where Kipuna is using those skills to change how the things end up happening outside the combat as well in the shorter term, but will not give spoilers out for them. We also have plenty of ideas of things that would sort of act differently in time, bringing new kind of elements in there, but it remains to be seen what kind of things end up into the game in the end.

I hope this rambling shed even some light on what you were looking for.
It does. Thanks for sharing. Sounds you don't shy from taking it into account in the encounter design, which is great. In the end I suppose the best is to see it in action, as with any other unconventional approach.

hepphep

Action Squad Studios
Developer
With our twitter account full of cool game pics and videos, you pick Joel's photo, woah! ;)

And yes, there are actually many in team who have worked in Rovio (scary eh?), and also some who have worked in Supercell. On the other hand, many have been working in companies like Bugbear, Redlynx and Remedy (and some others that I now forget).
But no worries, there will be no slingshotting birds of any kind in the game.

But to not to just stare Joel in here (even though I'm sure we all would love to have more pics of him), here's some mecha-bear wip to stare instead :D

Last edited by a moderator:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
From the Codex inbox:

Heya all!

Wanted to share with you the latest press release about Iron Danger.
It includes first bit longer footage showing combat gameplay.

Press release
------
Helsinki, Finland - 15th of August, 2018

Action Squad Studios has released the first combat gameplay footage from their upcoming tactical RPG Iron Danger.
In the video, player characters enter the fray with a group of Northlanders; an invading army of mechanically enhanced soldiers.
The pre-alpha version of the game shown in the video is also playable at Gamescom 2018.

Iron Danger takes you into a fantasy world of swords, sorcery and steam-belching cyborgs by forging together Finnish folklore with steampunk influences.
It is a story-driven, turn-based, tactical RPG with simultaneous turns and time manipulation mechanics. A never before seen combination, which brings a new level of depth into tactical combat.

Iron Danger is to be released in 2019, but you can already wishlist it on Steam.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/899310/Iron_Danger/

Iron Danger will be available for PC, PS4 and Xbox One.

About Action Squad Studios
Action Squad Studios is independent game studio founded in 2016 by seasoned gaming and entertainment industry professionals from companies such as Supercell, Remedy, Redlynx, Rovio,and Bugbear. The company is build on top of shared passion to create memorable worlds and stories.

-----

Please find video and additional material from following sources

Iron Danger press kit: https://irondanger.com/presskit/ (including new video as .mp4)
YouTube link to the video:https://youtu.be/a3UwhY81-I4
Web: https://www.irondanger.com
Twitter: https://twitter.com/IronDangerWorld
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/irondangerworld/
Discord: discord.gg/FJ7YDrr

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Reminds me of the Dredge from Banner Saga. Is there some Nordic tradition of metallic invaders from the north, which are being reinterpreted as mechanical beings in modern adaptations?

hepphep

Action Squad Studios
Developer
Reminds me of the Dredge from Banner Saga. Is there some Nordic tradition of metallic invaders from the north, which are being reinterpreted as mechanical beings in modern adaptations?

Don't think there really is such a tradition. Or if there is, it is really well hidden so that I haven't really found out about it.

I think there are some legendary tales of construct as part of Finnish folklore, such as mythical bringer of wealth Sampo and then of course one of the Kalevala heroes. blacksmith Ilmarinen made herself a golden wife.

In our case it is maybe because army of steam functioning cyborg soldiers just feels decently epic (and it allows us to bring in mechabears)! ;)
And of course it fits in the world as we have thought it really nicely giving sort of industrial vs natural stance as well.

hepphep

Action Squad Studios
Developer
For those who would like to give a try to Iron Danger, we just started to take in applications for closed Alpha testing. So, time to head into our Discord server https://discord.gg/8tDbuU for more detailed instructions and try your luck :)

Also, we just released a short trailer taken with Alpha version of the game.

hepphep

Action Squad Studios
Developer
Anyone of here yet applied to the alpha testing? If so, give me a hint of who you are and I'll try to squeeze at least some Codexians into the testing as well. So that you can tell better tell also to others in here if it seems to be any good or not ;)

hepphep

Action Squad Studios
Developer
story-driven tactical action-RPG with simultaneous turns and time manipulation

Developed by a Finnish studio called Action Squad, formed by developers who worked on Angry Birds games. :M (This bird seems quite angry.)

Well now, wasn't it simpler to call it a glorified "story driven" beat'em all ?

It would!

But then it would not of course describe the same game anymore, but I'll keep that description in mind if we end up making some "glorified story driven beat'em'all" game in future. Thanks!

PrettyDeadman

Anyone of here yet applied to the alpha testing? If so, give me a hint of who you are and I'll try to squeeze at least some Codexians into the testing as well. So that you can tell better tell also to others in here if it seems to be any good or not ;)
I applied a couple of minutes ago.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
It would!

But then it would not of course describe the same game anymore, but I'll keep that description in mind if we end up making some "glorified story driven beat'em'all" game in future. Thanks!

Watching your trailer, i'm just thinking you're missing your audience in the RPG discussion forum while it weeps unaware of your creation in the general gaming forums.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom