Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The New World random wip screens

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
As the title says these are work-in-progress, meaning very unfinished and far from final, screens to give you some idea of what we're working on and what different places might look like:

gojuXv0.png

jN2VPuq.png

50EWVvF.png

Grab the Codex by the pussy
I need to plan myself for when this the early access game is released. Taking a shower and brushing teeth will take too long. So I will only need this

8-225x300.jpg

and this

hospital-patient-plastic-medical-urinal-for-the.jpg_220x220.jpg

I think I can afford to lose a few pounds for a few days. My body can handle.

Big Wrangle

Some excellent aesthetics. The locales all look like they were conversions from parts of a massive ship. I assume the third shot is from the Pit, right? If so, it honestly does a better job at the 'high tech low-life' stuff people rave about better than most cyberpunk works recently.
Regardless, good job artists. :salute:
Vault Dweller One thing I've been meaning to ask, how was the transition from Torque to Unreal so far?

Last edited by a moderator:

Vault Dweller

Developer
Some excellent aesthetics. The locales all look like they were conversions from parts of a massive ship. I assume the third shot is from the Pit, right?
All these shots are from the Pit. The third shot is a close up of what you see on the second shot (at the top).

So far we're working on two locations: the Pit and the Armory. The Pit is shaping up great and has some interesting places like the 'pyramid' which we haven't shown yet. We haven't even touched the other locations yet - the downside of having a single level designer (Oscar).

Regardless, good job artists. :salute:
Thanks!

Vault Dweller One thing I've been meaning to ask, how was the transition from Torque to Unreal so far?
Fantastic so far.

ShadowSpectre

Arbiter
It may only be work in progress, but the screens look great. Very nice atmosphere and look so far. Age of Decadence was the most pleasant surprise of a new quality RPG released in the more recent years that I played and The New World looks like it will be awesome too (but less of a surprise, since now I expect greatness again).

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Too many containers for my taste, AoD had much more variety to it. I realize it's just one of the locations and that containers are the smartest choice for easy set up on a ship (considering the limited space) but it would be nice to recognize a building/shop even without the signs. Less cuboids and more different solids please (containers aren't the only thing they could use to build efficiently).

Grab the Codex by the pussy
Too many containers for my taste, AoD had much more variety to it. I realize it's just one of the locations and that containers are the smartest choice for easy set up on a ship (considering the limited space) but it would be nice to recognize a building/shop even without the signs. Less cuboids and more different solids please (containers aren't the only thing they could use to build efficiently).
I agree. It feels cramped.

Vault Dweller

Developer
Too many containers for my taste...
It's a container town in one of the cargo holds. Imagine something like this but bigger:

how-do-container-ships-work-container-stacks.jpg

... then people moving in, looting the containers, and turning it into a town.

Less cuboids and more different solids please (containers aren't the only thing they could use to build efficiently).
They didn't build a town using containers, they turned container stacks into a "town".

Big Wrangle

That makes me interested in how the so-called 'pyramid' looks and/or built.

Vault Dweller

Developer
Nick is the one who can answer this question best, but he's away at the moment. Oscar and I aren't doing any scripting yet as we don't have anything to script yet (Oscar's working on level design, I'm working on quests and dialogues). Nick didn't complain about it and overall he's very happy with the engine, so I assume it's going well.

Vault Dweller

Developer
Lockpick and hacking for mechanical and electronic locks - definitely. You will be able to use these skills on any locked door or strongbox. The rest hasn't been decided yet. I doubt we'll implement on option to attack doors. It makes sense in a setting with lots of wooden doors (like Silent Storm, for example - a wooden door shouldn't stop a man with a machine gun and grenades) but not so much in a setting with metal, usually reinforced doors and no direct damage grenades. Plus it would make lockpicking pointless. Why bother raising the skill when you can just blast doors open? Forcing them open - same concern. Plus metal doors aren't easy to force open, even with a crowbar. So most likely skill-based options only.

Black Angel

Arcane
Hmm, will there be power armor-esque stuff or something like that? If so, I would like you to at least consider options to force-open *mechanical* locks (or force open metal doors) where appropriate. Hell, maybe even let characters with maxed STR with a chance to do it, or perhaps characters with STR beyond maxed (either thanks to power armor or drugs). You know, like that one door in Vault City/Vault 8 in Fallout 2 that just can't be opened with lockpicking, but characters with huge STR can open it.
You can also use this opportunity to have a grouped physical-related checks where an entire party worked together to open doors, moving containers to block or clear the way, etc etc, but only party members who 'trusted' you would participate in such checks.
If you're concerned that this would make lockpicking redundant, maybe apply a corresponding consequence if characters chose to use this particular method, like, using physical force will bound to make a lot of noises, right? Just make the usage of such method attracts a lot of (unwanted) attention.

Nick

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
What do you think of visual scripting personally?

It's pretty good, very comfortable to work with. Although I feel that I'd write the same code in C++ faster, Blueprints are very well-integrated with other engine subsystems, assets and tools. So it makes sense to move all the gameplay mechanics and events to Blueprints, and leave C++ to plugins and performance-heavy algorithms, and that's what we do for TNW.

Drawbacks:
- Blueprints are a pain to diff and merge;
- No modding support, as far as I know.

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
I like that walking from right to left you get a loan, use it to buy a shotgun, present it to find a job. Much better than ping-pong map design, and it has an internal logic, too.

AbounI

Colonist
Patron
Lockpick and hacking for mechanical and electronic locks - definitely. You will be able to use these skills on any locked door or strongbox. The rest hasn't been decided yet. I doubt we'll implement on option to attack doors. It makes sense in a setting with lots of wooden doors (like Silent Storm, for example - a wooden door shouldn't stop a man with a machine gun and grenades) but not so much in a setting with metal, usually reinforced doors and no direct damage grenades. Plus it would make lockpicking pointless. Why bother raising the skill when you can just blast doors open? Forcing them open - same concern. Plus metal doors aren't easy to force open, even with a crowbar. So most likely skill-based options only.
That makes me think about this "tool" :
saw.png

An old and battered power saw that was once capable of cutting through reinforced steel. Fortunately, it's still capable of cutting through armor and bone, provided you manage to get close enough. Granted, it's not a proton axe, but it's the next best thing.
This object seems to be designed to force open steel doors, no? Did you change your mind regarding this question?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom