Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Age of Decadence May 2018 Update

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Since all the fanboys are chiming in right now, can you tell me something about senpai Sunfire? For some reason I have the impression he's a huge faggot.
Really?

Self-Ejected

Sacred82

Self-Ejected
Dumbfuck
Since all the fanboys are chiming in right now, can you tell me something about senpai Sunfire? For some reason I have the impression he's a huge faggot.
Really?

ya rly

So, he's the head honcho of the community translation effort, whatever that means. And he mods your game. And then you make those mods a mandatory download.

Either it was supposed to be a birthday present because you love the guy so fucking much, or there's something else going on.

Big Wrangle

Sunfire's mod brought on well-received quality of life improvements and fixed incosnsitencies, and Vince decided to credit the man for bringing those unnoticed issues to light rather than and leaving the guy in the dark which would probably be easy to do. I hevaily doubt the incosnistencies fixed were intentional.
Here is a minor example fom a certain game nobody here cares about: Fallout 4. The game brought on some tweaks, but certain people noticed similarities between said tweaks an mods. Which resulted in a minor "yo you guys stole from fucking mods" outcry in certain other realms of the internet.
Vince just wanted to acknowledge the situation, simple as that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Self-Ejected

Sacred82

Self-Ejected
Dumbfuck
Sunfire's mod brought on well-received quality of life improvements and ficex incosnsitencies, and Vince decided to credit the man for bringing those unnoticed issues to light rather than and leaving the guy in the dark which would probably be easy to do. I hevaily doubt the incosnistencies fixed were intentional.

What?

I already said they could have given him a shoutout for his mods. Which would already be an unusual thing for a studio to do. So recognition, much wow.

Here is a minor example fom a certain game nobody here cares about: Fallout 4. The game brought on some tweaks, but certain people noticed similarities between said tweaks an mods. Which resulted in a minor "yo you guys stole from fucking mods" outcry in certain other realms of the internet.
Vince just wanted to acknowledge the situation, simple as that.

"well-received quality of life improvements" and fixed "inconsistencies" doesn't sound like it would have been required for ITS to 'steal' any of his stuff. AoD seemed to be a love/ hate thing on the Kodex for example (Darth Roxor reference), which basically just means it was pretty well received by the standards here. And in other realms of the internets, people give even less of a shit about the exact number of skill points or other inconsistencies. Still, they took the time to integrate that stuff, and then write an update about it.

Big Wrangle

That's pretty obvious, of course they're not something huge that will cause 'plagiarism' drama. Sunfire was simply mentioned because of his consistent contributions, and that's all there is to it. Then again you disbelieve that the mod follows the established ruleset and only made fixes in the first place. Until you decide to play yourself and gather undeniable evidence Sunfire meddled with the game's core vision, I don't think there is anything more to add to this.
Otherwise, who knows? I dunno if he has a Codex account, and I guess if so someone could page him to give us some of his own insight on the background of the integration.

Self-Ejected

Sacred82

Self-Ejected
Dumbfuck
That's pretty obvious, of course they're not something huge that will cause 'plagiarism' drama. Sunfire was simply mentioned because of his consistent contributions, and that's all there is to it. Then again you disbelieve that the mod follows the established ruleset and only made fixes in the first place. Until you decide to play yourself and gather undeniable evidence Sunfire meddled with the game's core vision, I don't think there is anything more to add to this.

this constitutes undeniable evidence that you've got your head up your ass. The Steam update is there for everyone to read, with ITS saying they integrated a user made mod for shits and giggles, because it's totes awesome. And until there's some justification for that forthcoming, there is indeed not much to add to this.

Otherwise, who knows? I dunno if he has a Codex account, and I guess if so someone could page him to give us some of his own insight on the background of the integration.

I kind of doubt it, this guy doesn't seem like a Kodexer. Kodexers are obnoxious too but they respect indie devs. What's going on here smells extremely fishy.

HeatEXTEND

Prophet
Patron
It's about being forced to install user created mods that you never wanted onto a game that you've paid for.

You seem to be confused. It's not a mod if it's a patch, is it now? :hmmm:

:/:The fox is chasing the chicken:repeat:the fox is chasing the chicken=burn the henhouse and clean out the eggs:repeat:=burn the henhouse and clean out the eggs:rooster out:\:

Self-Ejected

Sacred82

Self-Ejected
Dumbfuck
It's about being forced to install user created mods that you never wanted onto a game that you've paid for.

a patch that adds locations, monsters, items (by making things lootable), rewards and changes merchant costs

:/:The fox is chasing the chicken:repeat:the fox is chasing the chicken=burn the henhouse and clean out the eggs:repeat:=burn the henhouse and clean out the eggs:rooster out:\:
you don't even know what you don't know

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
So what is the current version number? I only have my BMT Micro download link (no Steam or GOG, bought directly) and the game's at 1.6 if I download it from there.

Vault Dweller

Developer

a patch that adds locations, monsters, items (by making things lootable), rewards and changes merchant costs
You really are stuck on it, aren't you? No matter how many times I tell you that the update contains only bug fixes (and yes, unlootable dead zealot is a bug, not a feature, his equipment wasn't changed or added, it's what he had on him), that no new locations, monsters, dialogues, or items were added, you stick to your "truth". Why would we add anything but bug fixes?

Vault Dweller

Developer
So what is the current version number? I only have my BMT Micro download link (no Steam or GOG, bought directly) and the game's at 1.6 if I download it from there.
I'll take a look and let you know. In the meantime, let me know if you want a steam or gog key.

Big Wrangle

You really are stuck on it, aren't you? No matter how many times I tell you that the update contains only bug fixes (and yes, unlootable dead zealot is a bug, not a feature, his equipment wasn't changed or added, it's what he had on him), that no new locations, monsters, dialogues, or items were added, you stick to your "truth". Why would we add anything but bug fixes?
I don't think there is anything to add to this anymore, unless someone decides to go full detective and analyse both versions in a 100% completionist playthrough with console commands spamming for the greater good.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
I'll take a look and let you know. In the meantime, let me know if you want a steam or gog key.
Well, thank you very much, a steam key would be lovely! :)

I'm reading the updates on the new game, I wish you and your company all the best!

Self-Ejected

Sacred82

Self-Ejected
Dumbfuck

why would you even make his fixes mandatory? Dungeon Rats is the most recent game, not Aod. On the Steam forum, there are enough complaints and bug reports, yet you stopped updating that rather ealry on.

Let's assume it's just bugfixes (which is implausible because there's no bugfix mod), the impression you've generated is simply that you've taken his fixes and slapped them onto the game, rather than introducing them little by little as he came up with them, in which case one could assume you have a better idea of how the sum of changes influences the game.

Vault Dweller

Developer

why would you even make his fixes mandatory?
Because that's how bug-fixing works?

Dungeon Rats is the most recent game, not Aod. On the Steam forum, there are enough complaints and bug reports, yet you stopped updating that rather ealry on.
The complaints are about difficulty as DR is essentially a bug-free game. The reason it's bug-free is because it's a short, linear combat game with limited dialogues. Easy to test and run through every fight and every possible dialogue line. There are no bugs in the combat system itself, so what else is there?

Let's assume it's just bugfixes (which is implausible because there's no bugfix mod)...
First, there is a bug-fix mod. Second, why would I make it up? What do I have to gain, in your opinion?

... the impression you've generated is simply that you've taken his fixes and slapped them onto the game, rather than introducing them little by little as he came up with them, in which case one could assume you have a better idea of how the sum of changes influences the game.
The changes are minor. They don't affect the balance at all. We've reviewed them one by one. It might come as a shock but we still care about AoD and want the new players to have a pleasant experience. There's absolutely no reason to apply this patch one or two fixes at a time.

Self-Ejected

Sacred82

Self-Ejected
Dumbfuck

Then that's true for every fixpack for any game. Are you trying to establish a new policy here regarding user fixes?

The complaints are about difficulty as DR is essentially a bug-free game. The reason it's bug-free is because it's a short, linear combat game with limited dialogues. Easy to test and run through every fight and every possible dialogue line. There are no bugs in the combat system itself, so what else is there

https://steamcommunity.com/app/531930/discussions/0/2828702373008106177/

one of the first posts on the first page. Granted, you said you're going to look at the save file. Whatever that means.

Let's assume it's just bugfixes (which is implausible because there's no bugfix mod)...
First, there is a bug-fix mod. Second, why would I make it up? What do I have to gain, in your opinion?

It almost seems to me as if you had something to lose by not complying with Sunfire's wishes.

The changes are minor. They don't affect the balance at all. We've reviewed them one by one.

So how do we have to imagine that? You waited for the guy to put together a bugfix mod[citation needed], and then you reviewed those changes one by one? Why not integrate every fix as he posted them? Time constraints?

Big Wrangle

Not sure if indirectly accusing Sunfire of blackmail is gonna get an answer, but I digress.
Vault Dweller If possible, can you offer a background on how the integration came to be, along with the interractions with Sunfire in the process.

Vault Dweller

Developer

Then that's true for every fixpack for any game. Are you trying to establish a new policy here regarding user fixes?
There are no user fixes, only Sunfire's fixes. If anyone else decides to fix something, we'll certainly take a look.

https://steamcommunity.com/app/531930/discussions/0/2828702373008106177/

one of the first posts on the first page. Granted, you said you're going to look at the save file. Whatever that means.
It means that we'll check his save game and see if there's a problem we can reproduce and fix. He's the only one who reported this problem (which, in a linear game, means he's the only one who has this problem, meaning it's nearly impossible to reproduce) and after restarting the game he didn't have this issue anymore and he's just reported finishing the game, meaning no other issues.

It almost seems to me as if you had something to lose by not complying with Sunfire's wishes.
Like what? For the record, Sunfire's never asked me or anyone else to integrate his mod.

So how do we have to imagine that? You waited for the guy to put together a bugfix mod[citation needed], and then you reviewed those changes one by one? Why not integrate every fix as he posted them? Time constraints?
We're busy working on the next project, so the subject of AoD doesn't come often in our conversations. Someone reported a somewhat rare poison issue, which we couldn't ignore. Someone else reported a serious balance issue in one of the endgame fights, so we fixed it too. This was our first opportunity to take a moment and see what else we can fix. Sunfire's mod was a good starting point as he's been working on fixes for a long time. After reviewing his fixes, we decided to integrate his mod. The end.

Drowed

Arcane

But it IS true for every fixpack for any game. There's no new policy. DEVs have always looked at the fixes made by ''users'' and implemented them. The only difference here is that this was recognized by VD when he did that.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Somebody invite Sunfire to the Codex already.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom