Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire Released

Curratum

I've never read and heard so many controversial opinions from both online folks and real-life friends as I have with POE2. I guess by the time I finish the last chapter of POE1 and then do the expansions, this will be just about polished enough to import my save and play... :|

*-*/\--/\~

Cipher
The point is you should not give them money, as the game is shit, only serving as a backdrop for their ridiculous sociopolitical agenda.

Crescent Hawk

Cipher
Honestly playing Vermintide recently made me realize how classic fantasy writing should be. All characters feel stereotypical yet fresh and believable unlike Pillars where everybody sounds like a fucking modern person.

Jezal_k23

He did put a lot of work into it. Sounds reasonable that he'd take a break to work on something else.

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Tyranny felt like a worse offender with essentially every female officer acting like a tough asshole as if to make a point that women can be tough assholes too. I

But everybody in Tyranny acts like a tough asshole, except Lantry and he's being crucified when you meet him because nice guys finish last. The game takes place in a war zone. You're a high level officer in service to the evil overlord; if you're having many interactions with women who stay home and bake cookies then you probably aren't doing your job. I hear what you're saying, but I don't know if I'd call making half the soldiers in Tyranny women an example of agenda-pushing. I think it's more like wish fulfillment for the game's female narrative designers.

It sound like Deadfire's first patch is coming before the weekend. I'm 18 hours in and would definitely recommend it after the patch hits.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I think it's more like wish fulfillment for the game's female narrative designers.

The only female writer on Tyranny was Brainlet Starks. Matt MacLean and Paul Kirsch definitely have a fetish for strong women, they both look the type. As for Robert Land, he's flaming.

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I think it's more like wish fulfillment for the game's female narrative designers.

The only female writer on Tyranny was Brainlet Starks. Matt MacLean and Paul Kirsch definitely have a fetish for strong women, they both look the type. As for Robert Land, he's flaming.

I must have been thinking of Megan and the stable of foxy female writers on Deadfire (am I the only one who’s drawn to danger-hair?). That said, I stand by my position. Tyranny may have been made by classic west coast liberals, but any game that lets you play as an unironic fascist without any kind of karma penalty is surely making itself open to a wide range views.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Tyranny felt like a worse offender with essentially every female officer acting like a tough asshole as if to make a point that women can be tough assholes too. I

But everybody in Tyranny acts like a tough asshole, except Lantry and he's being crucified when you meet him because nice guys finish last. The game takes place in a war zone. You're a high level officer in service to the evil overlord; if you're having many interactions with women who stay home and bake cookies then you probably aren't doing your job. I hear what you're saying, but I don't know if I'd call making half the soldiers in Tyranny women an example of agenda-pushing. I think it's more like wish fulfillment for the game's female narrative designers.

It sound like Deadfire's first patch is coming before the weekend. I'm 18 hours in and would definitely recommend it after the patch hits.
I doubt one patch can fix all the issues. Better to wait a few months and for some mods to fix the game. Maybe mod community for PoE2 will be larger than for PoE1 (I still don't know if IE mod works for latest version of PoE).

lophiaspis

Arbiter

Also, Plato's the Republic has gender-equal access to State positions. Hard to get more fascist than that.

Crescent Hawk

Cipher
I also disregarded the stronk female shit in Tyranny precisely because of that, they are all psychos or just wish fulfilment tough assholes precisely what they would be in a Platos Republic utopia where its actually fine for the State to kidnap children away from their parents. True equality.

Fuck Socrates, we need more Aquinas.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
To be fair though, real-life female military commanders are tough assholes. A woman doesn't climb military ranks by being feminine.

Xzylvador

Arbiter
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Finished a playthrough...
The game is much, much better than PoE, I'll give it that. Still too much infodumping but it's less forced than the first one and the backer NPC's are gone (Except for some skill trainers, but they're rare and unimportant enough to safely ignore.)
Combat's too easy (played on hard) so if I do another playthrough I'll try multiclassing, supposedly that's harder... *shrug*
I did miss 'epic' fights... There's not a single fight that made me go 'wow, awesome' or which forced me to (re)think my tactics; which is kind of a downer in a game where the main antagonist is deity inhabiting a living statue about as tall as a mountain.
They went completely overboard with the SJW stuff.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
He isn't wrong though. Dex got really annoying lately with this anti-sjw shit, people getting triggered left and right, foaming at the mouth about some random bs without even playing the game... pot meet kettle and all that.
8fe.jpeg

Don't have to be "just as bad."

Being bad is bad enough.

Virtue isn't really comparative or relative in nature. You're either doing the right thing with the right intention and the right mindset or you aren't.

Which particular flavor or degree of "not" doesn't really matter.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom