Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pre-DLC Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
also, an honest question to folks who set level scaling on and are now complaining that its bugged:

why the fuck would you ever consider enabling any form of level scalung

are you fucking stupid

lol

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I'm sorry I wasn't around during the stream, I would have asked Josh what happened to the promises of more interactive music, that doesn't just loop while you are in an area, and to Justin's promises of doing great new things with the sound system.

AwesomeButton

Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
also, an honest question to folks who set level scaling on and are now complaining that its bugged:

are you fucking stupid

lol
Because I don't want to be overleveled for dungeons which I would have otherwise found interesting.

Perkel

Arcane
-10 ACC is actually a good debuff. ACC is the single most important stat in the game, esp. in PotD.

No it is not because it barely changes outcome as you have 100 die to roll if something is hit or not. Which means it is 10% difference.

10% difference is basically nothing, especially in random roll and you have it for usually 10-15 seconds depending from where you got that status AND you have to actually get it on someone because it is roll vs Will first. Let us not forget then that in those 10 seconds you will attack like 4 maybe 5 times at best.

So let us get this straight:

First you need to use skill or spend time casting spell and both of those things require time and resource management, then this status needs to hit first so enemy throws roll vs Will. Assuming it hits you get 10% increase in hit chance for about 10 seconds. Which means about 4-5 of those attacks will have 10% increased chance to hit. Naturally rolls are random so let us assume we are lucky and we hate 2 hits and 1 if we are not lucky.

So summing up, you need to spend time and resources to MAYBE get 1 additional hit.

That is very definition of fucking nothing. You could just as well not cast spell or use skill and instead just try to hit someone and if you run the numbers it will be actually almost as effective as if you wouldn't use that skill.

So as single thing you can use it is completely useless. It only is usable if you will do stacking. Which fucking beats whole purpose of using singular abilities and spells.

Even if you take Terrified which is upgraded version of it, it can hardly make huge difference with 20% difference and lol -4 to dex and resolve.

Take for example PoE2 Terrified:
-5 to resolve
-3 To all power levels
-can't take any other action than to flee

-About 20 seconds for lvl 4 spell which goes along with sickened(! which reduces hp a lot)

This is difference between night and day, difference between meaningful choice and shitty don't bother with it.

Last edited:

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member

are you fucking stupid

lol
Because I don't want to be overleveled for dungeons which I would have otherwise found interesting.

then ur dumb

Self-Ejected

Safav Hamon

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot The Real Fanboy
I dislike level scaling, but will tolerate it if it makes the game more difficult. It's way to easy to become overlevelled in this game.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
The quests are often short and uninspired, when not a ripoff of other games. You're telling me Pharos Dereos, a seedy underground crime boss, wants me to obtain a secret something from an dungeon below the city as he conspicuously hides some type of injury related to his request? A dungeon full of undead monsters and refuse?

Nigga, please. As if the only way they could have put an underground boss in the game is if they ripped it from other RPGs. You might as well start whining they are ripping off Homer, since 99% of storytelling produced by western civilization can be traced back to Illiad.

Or how about oathbreakers sanctum?

Effectively 3 rooms in which is a 2 minute backstory before you slaughter a roomful of cultists in order to obtain a drunk as a ship crewman.

A beautiful dungeon, extremely short, with writing that serves as zero complement.

One of biggest criticisms of the first game was the staggering amount of trash mobs and trash encounters that served no purpose. Well fucking guess what - they fixed that. Instead of mindlessly killing 5000 xaurips and looting identical loot in identical locations, you have couple dozen nicely crafted mini-dungeons with a bit of plot to them. Half of them don't even count as side-quests, they are effectively a replacement for PoE1 trash fights on open maps. Most of them have a little bit of story to flesh them out, they have unique loot, they usually have cool location, sometimes a nice set-piece fight and usually a short CYOA adding a bit of flavor. It's a gigantic step forward.

Really, what is "solid" about wasting writing and other resources on a bunch of small, nothing quests when the essence of traditional rpgs, especially the IE games, were large dungeons with buildup and backstories and small side narratives within them, leading up the the final confrontation?

I disagree. Those mini-dungeons are perfect for this type of game. If they were bigger the game would drag just like the first one.

Ruzen

Savant
https://www.pcgamer.com/a-speedrunner-beat-pillars-of-eternity-2-in-26-minutes/
:negative:
One of biggest criticisms of the first game was the staggering amount of trash mobs and trash encounters that served no purpose.
Well fucking guess what - they fixed that.
I wouldn't call it a fix; now the game offers no challenge at all. The fear of encountering trash mobs are gone, true, but 2 wrongs don't make one right. They said multiple times the fights were more meaningful and required different approaches. All they did is to remove mobs and decreased the spawns.

Last edited:

Parabalus

Arcane
Oh for christ's sake fantadumdum I have no doubt you blazed through everything in 30h dude. It's the claim that it's a legit average hour count that I can only observe as grotesque, if only because I skip most prose and cyoa reading, don't chase ships and bounties and I'm still 15h above that.

Considering the sorry state of the difficulty, the ruthless efficiency of the AI and the ship combat, I have no difficulty imagining how you did it as well.

If people don't believe you despite solid proof, they're just plain deluded and beyond help.

He backtracked and said he dicked around in the game for 50-60 hours in total.

He also insists that Bg2 is YUUUUUUUUUUGE by comparison and that Dumpsterfire has no content. :M

The difference is that Candlekeep is optional, you can go straight to Gorion and leave. The damning thing is the linearity of PoE's beginning. Video gaming is the only media in existence that can justify disconnected elements, and it justifies it by its nonlinearity. Whatever can't be skipped is still subject to the same laws.

So would your criticism disappear if you could e.g. roll into the ditch, instead of jumping across into the dungeon, and crawl right to Thaos? The first dungeon never bothered me that much because it's the tutorial. After you get to Gilded Vale it open like Bg1.

AwesomeButton

Patron
No it is not because it barely changes outcome as you have 100 die to roll if something is hit or not. Which means it is 10% difference.
Thank God, the Witchers dont have math in them...

If the enemy has 50% cth and we ignore grazes since they get eaten up by DR, 10 acc delta is a ~20% relative drop in dmg output, plus the 6 percent from Dex. So, 26% damage drop and it gets better when it stacks...
Its a fucking first level spell, AOE, Int'ed up it works OK. HUGE fights take no longer than 40 seconds. Frighten lasts 20...

You have no fucking idea what the word systems means, child.
To put it more simply: 1 THAC0 is 1/20th of the d20 roll. 5 Accuracy is 1/20th of the d100 roll. -10 Accuracy is rougly +2 THAC0.

Ulfhednar

Savant
So would your criticism disappear if you could e.g. roll into the ditch, instead of jumping across into the dungeon, and crawl right to Thaos? The first dungeon never bothered me that much because it's the tutorial. After you get to Gilded Vale it open like Bg1.
To be fair, the criticism was easy to predict given the existence of the Dungeon-B-Gone mod.

duanth123

Arcane
I disagree. Those mini-dungeons are perfect for this type of game. If they were bigger the game would drag just like the first one.

And here I thought the thread title was just a meme.

Well whatever, I enjoyed my time with the game, it definitely has some merits, would give it a better than POE/10.

Parabalus

Arcane
Thing with Arkemyr is that once you're done with the ending cyoa sequence, he just stands there without even a small bit of flavour dialogue to deliver an actual epilogue to his business. It does feel super weird and abrupt. A lot of shit does in this game.

Also, unrelated but the talk between factions before the end is superbad. Don't acknowledge anything that happened between them prior to that. Designing the game in a way that lets the player ignore these before this moment is no excuse. The whole factions interaction just took a serious blow there. Blatant lack of reactivity, even on a superificial level. Sigh.

After you're done with it you can ask him for a hint about the Sanguine Harvest.

Which talk do you mean, the common one at the queens or 1 on 1 with the leaders?
So, I got a sabotage mission from the Vailians added to my journal while talking to their leader lady. I was very careful not to say I would do it because I'm primarily working for the Rautaians, but it was added to my inventory anyway. Later after I finished Maia's quest, she stops me and says she's leaving the party because I'm helping the Vailians against the Rautai. I had already tried talking to Atsura and the Shogun lady and there was no way to tip them off about the Vailians, I was just doomed to Maia leaving the party as soon as that quest got on my list. Weak! :)

Might be your reputation with Maia? I could get to the last quest for all factions with her along, and I'm sure I could have kept her after choosing VTC if I did'nt have [Shady] reputation.
Yeah, I agree. I find all of the modals to be completely useless, either too situational or too X-treme (yeah, sure, I'll lose -15 ACC in exchange for the equivalent of 1 attribute point's worth of DEX/recovery).

AwesomeButton

One thing I'd like to do is make it so that an item type can use the proficiency ability from another of its type, for example having a pistol utilize the arquebus proficiency modal and vice-versa. How would you go about this?

I can add the StatusEffect IDs of the pistol's wp prof to the Arquebus's wp prof, and vice versa, but that means that when you toggle the modal you'll get all the effects at once. Or give shields access to all 3 of the shield abilities.

How would you do this? I tried looking in the items list some parameter that says what modals the weapon has access to but didn't find one; the LaunchOnEquip IDs are all related to item properties and not modals.

Ideally what I want to do is: you equip a shield, you take the shield modals and regardless of small/med/large the equipped shield grants access to any proficiency you've taken.

I.E. you take all 3, you have all 3 regardless of the shield. I can't figure out how to accomplish this via IDs.

Some modals are pretty good though - your example of hunting bow is -15 ACC for -50% recovery, that's often worth it. The ones who give PEN are also good.

If you give them +ACC they just become total no brainers, which is against the whole point of the system - might as well give just give all enemies +5 Deflection.

What do you like about Firkraag's stronghold?

The way the encounters use the environment. Starting from having to figure out how to get at the orc archers while under fire. BG2 has many similar “combat puzzles.”

I listed all the encounters and the only ones that use the environment are the first fodder fight against archers and the gimmick against the big golems. If the first is so tantalizing to you, Dumpsterfire has quite a few of them, enjoy yourself. :bounce:

FreeKaner

Prophet of the Dumpsterfire
Eder, aside from his odd mental regression from the first game (lacking the countenance of a war veteran) and the fact that every character seems to be telepathically aware of his farmer background, starts talking about fucking Xoti so loud that dogs started barking within 5 seconds of you meeting her.

No, he doesn't. He is talking about his old episode from his hometown, not Xoti.

Reinhardt

Arcane
Might be your reputation with Maia? I could get to the last quest for all factions with her along, and I'm sure I could have kept her after choosing VTC if I did'nt have [Shady] reputation.
Must be reputation thing. Like someone in this thread mentioned he got "fuck off" treatment from queen when he said "but i helped before" after betrayal and to me she said "ok, i'll give you chance". And i got some negative reputation with huana and my positive went from 3 to 2.

Ulfhednar

Savant
I didn't hear Prime Junta or anyone about which BGII spells you want to see in Deadfire?

glitterdust, wizard eye, silence/vocalize, farsight, truesight, magical protections and their counterspells...

But mostly I wish Sawyer had a bigger vision for magic than just a combat exercise. Spells that have environmental applications would have been nice to see.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom