Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Ultima Ultima V the tyranny of "virtues"

Zerth

Arbiter
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Yn3vg46.png

Soon after finishing Ultima IV, I decided to Start MSDOS Ultima V right away. Few hours exploring townes under the rule of this guy blackthorne, I noticed He deviated the true understanding of virtues and distorted them into a set of draconian laws.

Previously on Ultima IV, each towne was about learning and seeking the way of their respective virtue. But In order to embrace it, people have to "get it" right. Unlike blackthorne's rule, now townes pretty much shove the quality of a virtue down ppl's throats and expect them not stray away from it, otherwise they become criminals.

Also there's this shadowlord business I don't know anything but being the responsible of Lord British's unknown fate. Things are getting very interesting around Britannia for sure...

Anyways, have a question so far. You see, in Ultima IV futhark runes helps a lot to get directions from the original map and

to read the runic letters from the virtue's visions, yet the only way to make sense out of 'em is to know that the axiom is the combination of all virtues, the true nature of universe and all principles are derived from it. The only order that makes sense is "infinity" , hence it solves the final riddle

I just want to know whether if using futhark alphabet is as crucial as It was in IV .

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
IIRC most of the signs in U5 are in runic, so you won't be able to read those without learning the alphabet. I don't think I ever truly did, but I did keep a handy conversion nearby and consulted it, a lot.

If you're playing DOS version, grab the unofficial patch. It adds music from the Apple version, which is pretty sweet.

Zerth

Arbiter
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
If you're playing DOS version, grab the unofficial patch. It adds music from the Apple version, which is pretty sweet.
Did that, any suggestions to tweak DOSBOX in order to play the MIDI?. I couldn't config soundblaster Pro 16 on the game which it is the default emulated device DOSBOX has.

Cael

Arcane
Yn3vg46.png

Soon after finishing Ultima IV, I decided to Start MSDOS Ultima V right away. Few hours exploring townes under the rule of this guy blackthorne, I noticed He deviated the true understanding of virtues and distorted them into a set of draconian laws.

Previously on Ultima IV, each towne was about learning and seeking the way of their respective virtue. But In order to embrace it, people have to "get it" right. Unlike blackthorne's rule, now townes pretty much shove the quality of a virtue down ppl's throats and expect them not stray away from it, otherwise they become criminals.

Also there's this shadowlord business I don't know anything but being the responsible of Lord British's unknown fate. Things are getting very interesting around Britannia for sure...

Anyways, have a question so far. You see, in Ultima IV futhark runes helps a lot to get directions from the original map and

to read the runic letters from the virtue's visions, yet the only way to make sense out of 'em is to know that the axiom is the combination of all virtues, the true nature of universe and all principles are derived from it. The only order that makes sense is "infinity" , hence it solves the final riddle

I just want to know whether if using futhark alphabet is as crucial as It was in IV .
You will need to learn the runes. Trust me: Get very well acquainted with them.

Have you got the manual for the game? In it, Iolo tells you what is going on including Blackthorne (who, what, why and what he is doing to the virtues) and there is a bit of backstory of what happened by that scribe. Games of that era convey a lot of information via the manual, unlike the stuff we get these days.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom