Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pre-DLC Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

DeepOcean

Arcane
PoE1 main story fell apart at the end, but the companions were miles better, and some characters quests were very well written and designed.
You are being too generous, that terrible trial on that game almost killed my will to continue of how bad it was.

Sentinel

Arcane
It's doubly sad because the game has lots of untapped potential. If Obsidian had their old writing staff it could easily rival BG2 in my heart. But at the moment quests end abruptly, and the game has no antagonist, and no final boss.

Parabalus

Arcane
Any ideas/pointers for Thaumaturge?

Is that priest/wizard? Well, it's either that or priest/druid. Or wizard/druid. Who knows?

Basically, this class doesn't make any sense as of now. The combats are very fast and the casts are really slow. So there's little sense in having double the casts as you're just never using them all. There's also not that much synergy between different spells & self-buffs to make any special combos or whatnot.
Priest/Wizard. I have been running Priest of Eothas/Evoker. I found it flexible so far in PotD with respect to all the spells I have on hand, but PotD is just so horribly tuned right now.

I just like the idea of withdraw, devotion of the faithful (20 accuracy), and empowered wizard spells on the same character.

The self buffs from wizard/priest seem insane tbh - you can dump all the wizard instant cast buffs (DAoM, reflection, stoneskin, veil) at the start, then use minor avatar/devotions and spam. Grimoires means you can use picks freely on priest/passive stuff.

Likely not better than pure classes though, seems cool to play.

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
Someone from the stream just asked how they arrived at the name Deadfire. Is Guido Henkel stalking the stream?

The self buffs from wizard/priest seem insane tbh - you can dump all the wizard instant cast buffs (DAoM, reflection, stoneskin, veil) at the start, then use minor avatar/devotions and spam. Grimoires means you can use picks freely on priest/passive stuff.

Likely not better than pure classes though, seems cool to play.

I find it really dependent on cast times and sources of concentration. Still, I find myself drawn to all the various spells you can have on hand.

Self-Ejected

Safav Hamon

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot The Real Fanboy
Nobody cares about what some list says dude. Reach your own conclusions. You don't need anyone's permission to enjoy Deadfire or consider it goty or whatever.

I wasn't asking for permission. I'm voicing my opinion like everyone else. I've played most of the games on that top 70 RPG list, and looking at it objectively I believe Deadfire is superior to the vast majority of them.

Last edited:

Parabalus

Arcane
Just finished it (PotD, no level scaling). My two cents follow:

- economy is as broken as in the first game, I finished with 450k gold in the bank and more gear in the inventory I couldn't be bothered to sell

JES just said the economy is broken because generic Legendary items aren't supposed to drop for the player - those gave me easily over 300k in my run, so that might be enough to fix stuff.

Shadenuat

Arcane
"Do we have bugs for those?" :thumbsup:

gj Obsidian at preserving your reputation

bitch we have bugs for days.

Last edited:

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Here's my take on the writing: people who like it and people who don't, are both correct.

The game definitely isn't up to standard we came to expect from Obsidian. And given that Obsidian lost all of their top talent, it's probably time to realize that things won't be improving any time soon.

With that being said, Deadfire also fixes most of the writing flaws of the first game. NPCs aren't automated lore dispensers anymore. Companions are much better integrated into the setting and feel like genuine characters that could exist within that world, as opposed to Generic Mage Companion, Generic Tank Companion of PoE1. Factions aren't pointless decoration, they are serious players. Lore is incredibly well thought out and consistent. Main plot is nothing special but at least it puts you right in the middle of a crisis that actually feels real and doesn't go limpdick after 2 hours. The writing style itself has been tightened up a bit and isn't as overly verbose as in the first game.

So yeah. Deafire isn't going to be winning any awards for the narrative and it won't have a legacy that will inspire generations, but mostly it's solid and solid is probably the height of what we can expect from nu-Obsidian.
there seem to be almost no soulbound items (only found one)

I've had at least 5, possibly more. Mostly melee weapons and one arquebus.

Anthedon

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Just finished it (PotD, no level scaling). My two cents follow:

- economy is as broken as in the first game, I finished with 450k gold in the bank and more gear in the inventory I couldn't be bothered to sell

JES just said the economy is broken because generic Legendary items aren't supposed to drop for the player - those gave me easily over 300k in my run, so that might be enough to fix stuff.

I never sold legendary items. All my cash came from generic superb mace/longbow/sword etc. I never bought a whole of stuff though.

Seethe

Arbiter
The biggest bug I've encountered in this game is that guy Lucas you meet in the Vailian Trading Company. If you make him lose his job, and recruit him on your ship as a sailor, you can talk with him on the ship and he will have the same dialogue over and over again, as when you recruited him for the first time. Eventually, I had 3 Lucases on my ship (and one of them knocked at my door for sex).

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
After a few patches are released, Josh will be transitioning to working on some new ideas at Obsidian (in addition to finishing up the PoE tabletop game).

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
The spells Deafness, Glitterdust, Ray of Enfeeblement, Hold Undead, Protection from Normal Missiles, Greater Malison, Mislead can be modded in. Dispel Magic also probably can.

Wow, Josh just confirmed that after he is done consulting projects at Obsidian, he's about to make the TB Darklands style game!

Shadenuat

Arcane
Josh looked super drained, tired and a bit absent minded.

Project directing for that time probably wasn't that easy on him.

Sentinel

Arcane
Would explain his senile behavior that Roguey diagnosed.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom