Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pre-DLC Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

Iskramor

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
If the number is present in the tooltip but when you open the Bestiary in your journal, the same enemy is not even in the list (because if you haven't met them before they won't be in the Bestiary), then it's obviously a bug.

Lets asume it is a bug.But when i kill 1 beatle/boar/skeleton whatever and i enter beatsiary ALL DEFENCES AND RESISTANCES ARE DISPLAYED....All of them after only 1 of a kind being killed. Attr stats and attacks values are in ?? though.
Creatures have a value for the probability that each of their defenses, attributes, armor ratings, and health will be learned by the player upon a creature's death. They are all adjustable in the gamedatabundle files. What's happening is that either they are not adjusted right for one or a few types of creatures, or the game's code doesn't take the values from the gamedatabundle files into account. Either way, it's a bug. It can't be by design that you would see values about creatures' stats without seeing them in the Bestiary. Report it, send them a screenshot and that's it.

Will do. It must be bug i see deflection will reflex etc on beatles boars which i didnt killed.

Shadenuat

Arcane
Also your opinion became worthless the moment you declared that Dragon: Age Origins had better combat than this game. Are you a fucking moron?
Think of it what you will, but I had more party wipes in DA:O on highest difficulty than in PoE2 on release. At least there on Insane numbers were indeed out of whack.

Also, this game actually takes lot from general bioware design. Skill trees, even for spells. Instant healing after combat. Doesn't it?

...and gay romances, of course :shittydog:

Prime Junta

For those of you who have played through most of it: are there maps with encounters as good as Firkraag’s stronghold? That would be serious :incline:.

One thing I miss from BG2 is the beautifully rich and deliciously broken magic system. Those spells feel hand-crafted; PE’s are cookie-cutter by comparison.

Shadenuat

Arcane
For those of you who have played through most of it: are there maps with encounters as good as Firkraag’s stronghold? That would be serious :incline:.

One thing I miss from BG2 is the beautifully rich and deliciously broken magic system. Those spells feel hand-crafted; PE’s are cookie-cutter by comparison.
hmmmmm
mmm

it's debatable really. I felt most encounters in dungeons in PoE2 are pretty vanilla. And I wouldn't name Firkgraag dungeon as something with best encounters.

I had high expectations when in the cave in prologue I've met some little worms, beetles, skeletons, and other strange monsters which seemed like they didn't belong together, but were fun to fight. But it never went as far as it could. Almost felt like they decided not to. Game definitely mixes monsters bolder now, as you meet humans together with ogres, different types of undead together, but that's where it draws the line. Cute things like kobolds xaurip rangers with chibi shaihuluds as animal companions are somewhat of an exotic idea, while other encounters lack same level of labour.

As for spells, I felt same way, but I am now looking at some other skills like chanter skill tree, and compared to a wizard tree, chanter looks totally op and every spell looks good.

Sentinel

Arcane
Nay,it is mediocre unfinished game with a lot of cut content.

Anyone that says this game is mediocre and pretends Baldurs Gate II is a masterpiece is a poser and full of shit. The systems are better than AD&D, Neketaka is on the same level if not better than Athkatla, and even the complaints about corny writing don't hold much weight because Bioware was far worse in this regard. There's even more content than Baldurs Gate II, so complaining about cut content is a desperate smear. As much as people want to disregard it too, this is the most visually stunning game of its type and also the most user friendly.

I understand this community likes to gatekeep and has some "Obsidian has fallen" circlejerk going on, but I've seen your guys Top 70 greatest CRPG of all time list. This deserves to be ranked higher than most of them.
Stop posting.

Xeon

Augur
I still haven't done Drowned Barrows Dungeon, is that place not good? I saw a little of it in a stream.

Almost 90-95% of locations are extremely small, kinda similar to SoZ's dungeons. Only place where it was kinda hard was the Fog Island in one of the maps there and Ukaizo at the start, wasn't too much or anything, didn't need to buff or anything to beat it still.

Self-Ejected

Safav Hamon

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot The Real Fanboy
Anyone that says this game is mediocre and pretends Baldurs Gate II is a masterpiece is a poser and full of shit. The systems are better than AD&D, Neketaka is on the same level if not better than Athkatla, and even the complaints about corny writing don't hold much weight because Bioware was far worse in this regard. There's even more content than Baldurs Gate II, so complaining about cut content is a desperate smear. As much as people want to disregard it too, this is the most visually stunning game of its type and also the most user friendly.

I understand this community likes to gatekeep and has some "Obsidian has fallen" circlejerk going on, but I've seen your guys Top 70 greatest CRPG of all time list. This deserves to be ranked higher than most of them.
Stop posting.

As soon as one of you convinces me I'm wrong. This game is better than most of what you guys have on your top 70 RPG list.

Xeon

Augur
Tekēhu has summons but I can't choose them, do they have prerequisites? It doesn't say so in the tooltips of the summon spells and they don't connect to any spell tree[?] or whatever.

Shadenuat

Arcane
Just wonder how Obsidian UI designers are thinking. Say you have skills preview, and you must open the skill to completely understand what it does. It sucks, but. Say the skill states "also gives Smart Inspiration". You hover over Smart and it states +5 int.

The same black hint can hold 10 times more text. Is it hard to write "+5 int and cancels int afflictions (daze charm dominate)"? If it actually DOES that that is.

frajaq

Erudite
ezr4jEH.png

nice try Infinitron

Parabalus

Arcane
Sooo to anyone who finished game before this beta patch... lvl scaling was off whole time so you finished the game on story mode basically.... opinions discarded.
You all might like Baldurs Gate 2 EE... it got story mode too!!!
:happytrollboy:

There are def. encounters for max level characters - endboss and the fampyrs around, +Nemnok.

Stop posting.

As soon as one of you convinces me I'm wrong. This game is better than most of what you guys have on your top 70 RPG list.

Don't mind the haters, you're quite right. :salute:

Deadfire wizards are more broken than the Bg2 ones unless you are into extreme cheese of the Simularcrum spam or Chain Contingency type.

What do you like about Firkraag's stronghold?

From memory it goes, from main entrance into the first area:

• fodder hobgoblins
  • more fodder
  • Raksasha with exploding imps, fodder if you can hit him (weapon enchant check)
  • "trap" room with fodder archers
  • Golem pack with Adamantite/juggernaut golem, fodder or kite to door
  • left and right fodder room with turncoat orc and troll cool, otygh backroom
  • progress hallway with fodder
  • vampire pack to the right (sunray fodder), followed by shadows in room with mind flayer room key
  • meet chick with quest
  • kill 7x identical djinni by stacking 100% FR, kill lone beholder
  • "adventurer party backstab" , IIRC the mage isn't even high level
  • progress hallway with were/wolfs (weapon +check) to room with well, air elemental with helm
  • more weres, funny trio, more kitable golems with heartseeker secret room
  • across bridge more golems/orogs
  • Tazok party, nothing special
  • lone mage
  • Dragon
I guess the sprites are quite varied, but you can also say they just threw everything in randomly. Makes sense since they are all mercenaries/slaves, but why is the dungeon well designed?

Tekēhu has summons but I can't choose them, do they have prerequisites? It doesn't say so in the tooltips of the summon spells and they don't connect to any spell tree[?] or whatever.

His subclass forbids them.

Shadenuat

Arcane
  • fodder hobgoblins
  • more fodder
  • Raksasha with exploding imps, fodder if you can hit him (weapon enchant check)
  • "trap" room with fodder archers
  • Golem pack with Adamantite/juggernaut golem, fodder or kite to door
  • left and right fodder room with turncoat orc and troll cool, otygh backroom
  • progress hallway with fodder
  • vampire pack to the right (sunray fodder), followed by shadows in room with mind flayer room key
  • meet chick with quest
  • kill 7x identical djinni by stacking 100% FR, kill lone beholder
  • "adventurer party backstab" , IIRC the mage isn't even high level
  • progress hallway with were/wolfs (weapon +check) to room with well, air elemental with helm
  • more weres, funny trio, more kitable golems with heartseeker secret room
  • across bridge more golems/orogs
  • Tazok party, nothing special
  • lone mage
  • Dragon

Yeeeeah... PoE2 doesn't have that range of monsters in a single dungeon (you can add ogre party and ankegs to it as they are outside), not in a single one.

Just looking at this list made me remember this and miss IE variety again.

Also, half of the things you call fodder is not fodder at all on 1st playthrough. I mean, fucking Sunray? You pick this quest as one of the first quests, you will never have Sunray, especially if you only have multi-classed cleric.

Sentinel

Arcane
Parabalus calls people who say Deadfire is underwhelming and inferior to BG2 but still superior to PoE1 "haters"

Lists a single BG2 dungeon that has more enemy variety than the entirety of PoE2.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom