Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pre-DLC Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

Parabalus

Arcane
Guys i need your help.

Generically speaking, how do you increase penetration or lower enemy one?

Switch weapons, use higher level spells or weapon modals. There also consumables which level with alchemy skill for like +6 PEN or sth ridiculous.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Yeah the naval combat is kind of meh. Turn left>fire>turn right>fire, repeat 2 times, pick up the loot.

On the plus side at least it doesn't drag. I was worried it will be a chore but the fights are over quick.

jungl

Augur
im pretty sure there is shit in the script where you can corrupt your saves and its related to switching to ship combat and maps real fast back and forth. First pillars had rare bug also that could corrupt saves.

DeepOcean

Arcane
I think the writing would be better if they didnt try to be so clever and witty all the time on dialog.

You know that friend of your with his lame jokes that you feel deeply ashamed for his sake and wish to disappear when he starts with his jokes? Those are the characters on this game.

Feargus, should take a sack of gold from his booty, man up, do a public apology and hire Avellone back.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Chris wouldn't want to work there again even if they gave him all the money in the world probably.

AetherVagrant

Cipher
Patron
All that hype about making the world more of a "living" place, day/night cycles, increased reactivity et al....when what they really meant was "more binary choices and moving foliage/weather"....

AN4RCHID

Arcane
I trust Josh about no content being altered because of VO. People who believe in this conspiracy theory probably don't imagine how much work it can be to cut something. It can take more time than it took to make it, and time is something you are desperately short on.

Josh has said everyone rates content as they make it as either A, B or C. A is essential content that if cut shows something going seriously wrong somewhere; B is middle-of-the-road content that isn't critical, but will be felt if cut or the game will be worse off without it; and C is trivial fluff that is nice to have, but is easily cut without fuss. This means they can cut content more easily than just going through it all and deciding what to cut and what not. Guess which one was it for the companions if their content was indeed cut.
I'm not talking about priorities. I'm talking about dependencies and cases that need to be covered - the case where the player does X, and something relies on something that has been cut, what do we do? This is what makes cutting content difficult. And with companions, especially difficult.

That's a vague hypothetical and assumes the VO decision wasn't made much earlier in development and then revealed as some marketing ploy.

Either way, POEII, Ekera I say, definitely feels like it missed a polishing pass w/r to the writing.
Ha, no. This is by far the most polished game Obsidian has ever released. The writing sucks because the writers suck. If the original writing team had stayed on and been given this budget and time the game would be GOAT-tier.

Self-Ejected

MajorMace

Self-Ejected
Patron
Btw whoever asked about it.
Spell resist works in a very simple fashion :you have x% chance to completely nullify the spell targeted at you. Even for aoes, where each target has its spell resistance checked.
It's pointless to stack it against vampires though, their charm is a gaze, not a spell.
Same goes for liches' terror gaze.

Parabalus

Arcane
Spell resist works in a very simple fashion :you have x% chance to completely nullify the spell targeted at you. Even for aoes, where each target has its spell resistance checked.
It's pointless to stack it against vampires though, their charm is a gaze, not a spell.

How are you supposed to play around those gazes anyway? Does casting crowns of the faithful beforehand negate it - since you can't target the dominated char with it (or at least it doesn't highlight under the AoE)=
The fampyrs would insta charm my PC the moment he went out of stealth every time, "solved" it by starting Liberating Exortation on Pallegina and timing it so she insta removes it.

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
All that hype about making the world more of a "living" place, day/night cycles, increased reactivity et al....when what they really meant was "more binary choices and moving foliage/weather"....
Don't forget the sweet ass flail that increases fire damage during the day and freeze/ice damage during nighttime.

Shadenuat

Arcane
A question from age of Morrowind absorb and deflect items - how does it stack

charm is a gaze, not a spell
Uhhh

Isn't everything a spell. I thought it's Sawyer 5th edition d&d kindof

I mean, a gaze is magical attack, even if it's gaze
Yeah it's maybe a natural ability
But it's made of their souls
So it's same as spell
Because all abilities are soul magic right

Self-Ejected

MajorMace

Self-Ejected
Patron

How are you supposed to play around those gazes anyway? Does casting crowns of the faithful beforehand negate it - since you can't target the dominated char with it (or at least it doesn't highlight under the AoE)=
The fampyrs would insta charm my PC the moment he went out of stealth every time, "solved" it by starting Liberating Exortation on Pallegina and timing it so she insta removes it.
Potion of focused mind. Blindness. Int buff (the priest has two). Shimmer Scale can be upgraded to resist all gazes.

Shadenuat spells are priest's druid's and wizard's. And cipher's. From what I've seen in game. Other classes' stuff is called ability on the detail window of each of them.

Fun fact, my trickster's gaze of the adragan is labelled as rogue's ability. But I suspect it still qualifies as a spell.

Last edited:

Reapa

Doom Preacher
A question from age of Morrowind absorb and deflect items - how does it stack

charm is a gaze, not a spell
Uhhh

Isn't everything a spell. I thought it's Sawyer 5th edition d&d kindof

I mean, a gaze is magical attack, even if it's gaze
Yeah it's maybe a natural ability
But it's made of their souls
So it's same as spell
Because all abilities are soul magic right
you are asking dangerous questions.

Shadenuat

Arcane
Like, how is barbarian shouting for 50 damage is not a spell.

Potion of focused mind. Blindness. Int buff (the priest has two). Shimmer Scale can be upgraded to resist all gazes.
Just block Afflictions with priest spell. Xoti can do it twice for 20 secs + empower.

Can also CC them, Chaotic Orb works wonders on anything surprisingly.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Like, how is barbarian shouting for 50 damage is not a spell.

Just block Afflictions with priest spell. Xoti can do it twice for 20 secs + empower.
Shush you,that is dagerous question. It is like asking how a ship could be sunken by giant statue that you could see from 200 kilometres away.

Parabalus

Arcane

So what will happen if gaze hits Int buff - buff gets removed and gaze negated once? Immune while it lasts? Immune to lower tier afflicitions, so if I have Brilliant it'd get removed by Dominated, but immune to charm and confuse?

I didn't wanna use consumables, would feel like cheating with the atrocious balancing. Those Fampyrs spamming charm were the only problem encounters in the game.

Xeon

Augur
One of the sidekicks is in Fort Deadlight, right? How do you recruit her? She only talks to me about random crap and no option to join at all. I am at end game trying to unlock all achievements for the blessings so not sure if I missed my chance.

I think I missed my chance at not being able to maximize negative relations with anyone now, I think I did all contents except for the factions.

Self-Ejected

MajorMace

Self-Ejected
Patron
In my game, a rank 2 int buff dispelled the vampire's domination (rank 3). So I don't think buffing prior to it would neglect it ( unless by hovering over ur dude, you see the word concentration next to the buff. I'm not even sure).
I'm not 100% sure, and can't check right now. Mind you, it goes without saying that I have witnessed a quantity of bugs in combat, like immobilized enemies moving anyway because I cast Halt before the root was over. Stuff like this.

Parabalus

Arcane
One of the sidekicks is in Fort Deadlight, right? How do you recruit her? She only talks to me about random crap and no option to join at all. I am at end game trying to unlock all achievements for the blessings so not sure if I missed my chance.

They are
Wizard in Neketaka (arkemyr shop) , Chanter in Neketaka (wild mare room) , Cipher in Neketaka (animancers) , Barbarian on flotsam on east edge of map, around middle

Shadenuat

Arcane
So what will happen if gaze hits Int buff - buff gets removed and gaze negated once?
Resistance to INT afflictions would turn Dominate to Charm (great trade lol).

Inspiration removes it and grants immunity - at least that's what in-game cyclopedia states outright.

However, for me it didn't seem to work or maybe I got dispelled (Crowns of the Faithful gives Smart).

duanth123

Arcane
I trust Josh about no content being altered because of VO. People who believe in this conspiracy theory probably don't imagine how much work it can be to cut something. It can take more time than it took to make it, and time is something you are desperately short on.

Josh has said everyone rates content as they make it as either A, B or C. A is essential content that if cut shows something going seriously wrong somewhere; B is middle-of-the-road content that isn't critical, but will be felt if cut or the game will be worse off without it; and C is trivial fluff that is nice to have, but is easily cut without fuss. This means they can cut content more easily than just going through it all and deciding what to cut and what not. Guess which one was it for the companions if their content was indeed cut.
I'm not talking about priorities. I'm talking about dependencies and cases that need to be covered - the case where the player does X, and something relies on something that has been cut, what do we do? This is what makes cutting content difficult. And with companions, especially difficult.

That's a vague hypothetical and assumes the VO decision wasn't made much earlier in development and then revealed as some marketing ploy.

Either way, POEII, Ekera I say, definitely feels like it missed a polishing pass w/r to the writing.
Ha, no. This is by far the most polished game Obsidian has ever released. The writing sucks because the writers suck. If the original writing team had stayed on and been given this budget and time the game would be GOAT-tier.

Ekera, believe it or not, the writing can both suck and feel unpolished and unfinished.

Whether players were spared further cringe as a result, only Ngati knows, I say.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
d0rf guy says "we ran out of victuals"

but the VA actually says "we ran out of viktschools"

gotta love it when VAs get confused by writer thesaurus

(although in this particular case that's a pretty dumb VA as well)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom