Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Ultima Few questions about Ultima IV.

Jack Dandy

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin 2
The additions included in Lazarus sound nice, and the new OST is fantastic, but I really didn't like it's combat system.

Ultima V's feels smoother than IV's, so I recommend you check it out. The game in general feels like a finely-polished version of IV - a natural evolution, if you will.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
I found out recently that there's a remake of Ultima V made on dungeon siege Engine: Ultima V Lazarus. I'm considering start this one right away since I have a copy of Dungeon Siege. Yet It doesn't limit itself to be a graphical upgrade, Lazarus devs also added new dialogue and characters. Worth playing it over the original Ultima V?.
Over the original? absolutely not. What Lazarus is, however, is a fantastic game in its own right. You should play U5 as part of the trilogy, and play Lazarus as its own thing. Both are great games.

Cael

Arcane
I found out recently that there's a remake of Ultima V made on dungeon siege Engine: Ultima V Lazarus. I'm considering start this one right away since I have a copy of Dungeon Siege. Yet It doesn't limit itself to be a graphical upgrade, Lazarus devs also added new dialogue and characters. Worth playing it over the original Ultima V?.

1. Just for the sake of harder level up? It doesn't sound very compelling tbh.
2. I thought It was tied to the number of companions. But seems to be true, cuz really there wasn't any difference after adding Katrina to my team. My steps count was around 80k before reach L8 abyss altar.
3. 4. 5. So powergaming is a thing on this game.
6.Well, L8 Hythloth has access to all the altars. It works as a shortcut at least.
7. 8. Funny I used peer gem and found the place. There's a NPC that gives the exact direction. Now I feel dumb for not trying that instead of fiddling the wind for more than half hour in order to guide the balloon there. I have underestimated blink.
9. I made around 30 or 40 tremor spells more or less, spent like 30 on the abyss. Really helped me to keep my sanity, didn't want to get through the same shit I went after trying to reach altar of humility (the demon encounter swarm per tile). Negate and attack afterwards is more consistent since tremor targets randomly tho.
10. I was aware of it. Only that walking with poisoned characters is too annoying.
11. Yes. Several NPCs explain the interconnection of dungeons through altars. I didn't use that much but I think is awesome.
12. Yep. Notice that after using the magic orbs on my PC with maxed int and dex.
Keep away from Lazarus until you have played the original. Same with all remakes.
1. You need to get all 8 guys anyway. Might as well have high levels when you get to the Abyss. Dragging a dead level 1 around is a PITA.
3-5. Powergaming is always a thing :D Plus it is faster.
7-8. People always underestimate Blink. Remember not to do so when you play Ultima 5.
9. The Shrine of Humility doesn't have demon swarms unless you did it wrong :D Remember the Horn?

Zerth

Arbiter
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
If that's the case. I'll play the original then. Not particularly fond of dungeon siege and its real time combat anyways.

9. The Shrine of Humility doesn't have demon swarms unless you did it wrong :D Remember the Horn?
:rage:
Thought I figured out everything. I'll try to experiment a lot more with spells in Ultima V

Last edited:

EtcEtcEtc

Savant
Ultima V is better then IV. Like, a lot better, and I really enjoyed IV.

It's also better then VI, although VI is fun as well.

I would play V & VI before I played the remakes (although I haven't played them myself yet) if you liked IV then they hold up just as well. Also get excited for VII. and Underworld(s)

Cael

Arcane
Ultima V is better then IV. Like, a lot better, and I really enjoyed IV.

It's also better then VI, although VI is fun as well.

I would play V & VI before I played the remakes (although I haven't played them myself yet) if you liked IV then they hold up just as well. Also get excited for VII. and Underworld(s)
Ultima 6 is... a radical departure for the series. I remember when it first came out, it was a big thing as nothing like that has been done before.

I actually liked 6, but it was extremely short, probably the shortest out of the 4-7:2 series. Watching a first timer go through it, even from a distance, would be an instructive experience.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
6 is only short if you follow the story. I think a lot of people then just dicked around in its open world, which could use up a lot of time

Cael

Arcane
6 is only short if you follow the story. I think a lot of people then just dicked around in its open world, which could use up a lot of time
*looks at the chests filling up Castle Britannia, each containing 30 stone of gold nuggets and/or coins* Yeah... you can say that "dicking around" is an... appropriate term...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom