Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pre-DLC Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

frajaq

Erudite
I know its my fault for having a shitty PC and not having an SSD to install the game in but I'm gonna complain anyway

FUCK so many loading screens in this fucking game, it screws up the pacing so much for me it makes me want to never touch this again

Sentinel

Arcane
I asked this somewhere else also, but got no concreto reponse Josh Sawyer mentioned once or twice, in passing, that he would like to see a...remaster?...of PoE based on the second game's engine. Has he actually expanded upon this notion, or was this simply a one-time brain fart?
He just said "it'd be cool" when someone mentioned it on stream, but it didn't go beyond that. It's a "yeah that'd be really cool, but it's probably not happening lol" kind of thing.

AN4RCHID

Arcane
What the fuck happened with Aloth's quest? You barely do anything and it just ends.
Like any other companion quest. It was amusing when entered with shark boy in the smugglers cave and saw the quest complete marker at the top right,it was amusing because i didn't even started his quests. For a long time i thought that his quest would have been to find the fourth form of water bending....sadly it is a cut content.
Yeah, Eder's quest seems pretty... anticlimactic. I mean it was in the first game too, but it seemed a little more poignant there.

Also the game has the single most retarded beginning of all the later games. Pirates and colonialism and the big, mecha-like green god, which leaves giant footprints everywhere and recharges on adra pillars is a thematic mishmash akin to a holocaust comedy musical.

Don't go besmirching holocaust comedy musicals, now.

There is more talent in one minute of that number than in all of both PoEs combined.

Tigranes

Arcane
just license poe1 to beamdog to make the enhanced edition

Already happening, with classic Beamdog-style quality

91656d3f2a2dfa74a0d0f12fd8b59397_original.gif

2house2fly

Magister
I wonder if the DLC will add levels and new high-level powers? If the 3 DLCs end up being as big as White March then taking an endgame character through them with no levels or xp for anything. But then, if there are more levels then multiclass characters will be able to reach the level 8 and 9 abilities... A theoretical level 10/11/12 would have to be really good to keep the illusion of punishment for multiclassing

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
They'll probably copy AD&D and give you HLAs or something if they are going for the epic levels. Or more powerful passives.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Just a quick question, and please answer seriously...did they actually turn every romanceable companion into a bisexual? I swear this trend makes me furious, and I try to avoid games that do that.

It reminds me too much of manga and anime, only there every female is blandsexual, and want their romantic interests to be as lacking in personality as possible.

Edit: Sorry, Lacrymas, I'm not going to dig through over a hundred pages in the release thread + even more on the earlier threads to find the answer, if it has been already given.

5 out of 7 companions are bisexuals.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
I managed to finish the game without changing the armour on three of my companions...on hard.
Nigga, you played PoE 1 on story mode. We have seen your screens with 6 camping supplies. Why would someone trust you now?
:nocountryforshitposters:
You haven't seen screens on my PoE gameplay,because i never had any. You must be combining the memory of another person with my talk about 6 rest a half year ago. I do remember that i talked about 6 rests about half an year ago because strangely i don't remember how many rests it have a game that i played years ago. I never played on easy,i am a fucking storyfag and enjoy the mediocre normal difficulty. Still kudos for remembering my posts on poe from half a year ago . Nice jab dear sir,you got my respect:salute:.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
I don't know if anyone had noticed,but there is time passage in the game and it is out of place. For me it took around a year and a few months to finish the game,apparently the green god was waiting for me in this volcano for a long long time,or he is just moving incredibly slow. Also nothing changes for that year,the pointless priest that stood in the middle of queens breath for 24 hours 365 days must be quiet the beast. Anyone else noticed this retardation?

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
the time passage is there almost certainly for the same purpose it serves in the first game: loot tables on most loot containers.

Shadenuat

Arcane
Dismissal is such an uncharacteristic spell for PoE I think it was added with a sole purpose to get players through the vampire island, since it's the only place in the game that remains relatively dangerous (BG2 catacombs level, and it even looks the place) for even 20th level party. And I think the only hard counter for charming gaze attacks is the talking sword since it makes wielder immune to INT afflictions, since there's no other dispel or protect mechanics I am aware of (or have in party). Cause, you know, they just removed all these spells from the game.

You can just nuke them all before they lolrush you with 5 or 10 vampires(undead) (I lost count chunking through the creeps) (you can aggro multiple packs on entrance to the tomb), but this single location is the least PoE-characteristic place I've seen in game. It only lacks permanent damage to party - without it, it's just not as threatening as similar BG2 encounters.

If this level of threat would exist generally in the game, it would indeed give me at least the nice feels of nostalgia to IE fights.

Kinda strange that boss was way easier than mooks.

Last edited:

Sentinel

Arcane
the time passage influences quests. I found a couple quests where the related objective only showed up at night/day.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Roguey why do you think Sawyer has gone senile?

This is the best system sawyer designed so far. Intricate and reasonable, with a lot of depth and breath. It allows for both extreme combinations and simple approach, while making former potent and latter viable. The only lacking thing at the moment is enemy tuning, which is mostly a matter of numbers.

Dave Williams was in charge of system design. Sawyer's gone senile because he dumbed things down to appeal to a wider audience that wasn't interested, and he let the new tumblr-pandering writers run wild. Unrelated to Patel's Pratfall, he also forgot that Avellone wrote all the NWN2 companions.

Urthor

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
. And I think the only hard counter for charming gaze attacks is the talking sword since it makes wielder immune to INT afflictions, since there's no other dispel or protect mechanics I am aware of (or have in party). Cause, you know, they just removed all these spells from the game.

You cancel the int afflictions by stacking int inspirations I thought, that was the point of the whole system. 1 int inspiration cancels your lvl 2 int affliction and moves it to lvl 1 int affliction.

Of course I encountered any combats that slowed my party down in my entire veteran play-through so I didn't need to pay attention to that system, but it's a nice idea on paper.

Tigranes

Arcane
How is it more complex and intricate? You could argue it is more consistent and orderly (for better or for worse) on many fronts, but it seems an odd thing to say.

Shadenuat

Arcane
You cancel the int afflictions by stacking int inspirations I thought, that was the point of the whole system. 1 int inspiration cancels your lvl 2 int affliction and moves it to lvl 1 int affliction.

Of course I encountered any combats that slowed my party down in my entire veteran play-through so I didn't need to pay attention to that system, but it's a nice idea on paper.
I think I stacked quite a few, at least Crowns of the Faithful and somesuch which has +int, but it didn't seem to work that well. I guess you can spam priest spell for -5 seconds but vampires just auto re-apply charm after.

Even tried to build my barbarian up with some will defending perks and items, but to little effect. Cause in a non-dnd fashion, Rage has nothing on countering mind spells.

Also have perk for spell resistance, resistance items on everyone and fully upgraded lanter on Xoti, but I have no idea how SR stacks and what it does :M

Well, as always, I won on sheer perseverance and the power of Nuke. Xoti almost one-shotted lead vampire with Arcane Dampener > Pillar of Fire.

Poor wizords. They just don't live in this game for long.

Oh yes, I also found the whole affliction/counter system unintuitive and got too bored reading little plackets with descriptions what is what and how to counter what, it's like a system made to re-create a simple counter magic play, but done in the most complicated way possible. I guess just making a bunch of series of spells like Strength/Weakness is too simple for them. That's no DOS allright.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom