Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pre-DLC Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

Jezal_k23

WTF is the game up to with Xoti? Sounds mysterious.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Sea shanties are just a wasted opportunity even if they do play. It plays too quiet to really be enjoyed over the enviromental sounds heard while swimming. They should be playing while you're on land as well. Overall audio is by far the weakest par of the game and somebody needs to get a kick in the nuts for fucking it up so badly.

BAh!
You have a developer tag?
Who the fuck was so out of touch to bring you aboard any game project?

Experienced professionals who know a real talent when they see it.

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
Yes, but feeling special enough in Eora results your sword going ablaze or poisonous, healing people by touching them, turning yourself into an immolating sun, etc., instead of changing your gender.

Can you really argue against results?

True enough, but if that's all it takes, why doesn't everyone do it? It sort of cheapens the world and is one of the reasons I find the Pillars setting uninteresting. If everyone can manifest flaming swords through the power of positive thinking, its hard to justify having a deprived peasant class who relies on kings and priests.

Because everyone can't do it, much like not everyone can swallow swords, have a six pack, join the army, be upper middle class etc IRL.
Your logic about peasants works for fighter or rogue classes too, why don't they just beat or assassinate their oppressors?

Historically pretty much all men could fight and have a strong tendency to do so. The Ming dynasty was founded by a homeless beggar. The fact that basically anyone can pick up a sword and swing it is one of the reasons why weapons are always under regulation throughout history.

The paladin powers in PoE set a low bar. Presumably no one can forbid you from manifesting them, so it's hard to understand why every random dude who Believes in Something doesn't develop magic powers. You'd have to argue that some people just lack the right level of "Soul Power," whatever that means. But the setting doesn't really go into that level of detail.

Parabalus

Arcane
Yes, but feeling special enough in Eora results your sword going ablaze or poisonous, healing people by touching them, turning yourself into an immolating sun, etc., instead of changing your gender.

Can you really argue against results?

True enough, but if that's all it takes, why doesn't everyone do it? It sort of cheapens the world and is one of the reasons I find the Pillars setting uninteresting. If everyone can manifest flaming swords through the power of positive thinking, its hard to justify having a deprived peasant class who relies on kings and priests.

Because everyone can't do it, much like not everyone can swallow swords, have a six pack, join the army, be upper middle class etc IRL.
Your logic about peasants works for fighter or rogue classes too, why don't they just beat or assassinate their oppressors?

Historically pretty much all men could fight and have a strong tendency to do so. The Ming dynasty was founded by a homeless beggar. The fact that basically anyone can pick up a sword and swing it is one of the reasons why weapons are always under regulation throughout history.

The paladin powers in PoE set a low bar. Presumably no one can forbid you from manifesting them, so it's hard to understand why every random dude who Believes in Something doesn't develop magic powers. You'd have to argue that some people just lack the right level of "Soul Power," whatever that means. But the setting doesn't really go into that level of detail.

Didn't you just answer your own question?

The homeless beggar who founded the Ming dynasty wasn't just any old fighter, he was special even among fighters. Fighters are just as powerful as Paladins in PoE, the fact that the latter's powers are "magic" (both are actually some "Soul Powaaaa") doesn't make them more valuable than a fighters - oppressed peasants having paladins among their numbers does little for their total power level, nor does it matter if the Ming homeless beggar is a fighter or a paladin.

Lexx

Cipher
Oh yeah, I remember one more thing... Nobody gives a shit about slavers. For the first half of the game I wondered "why are there no slaves? Shouldn't a pirate setting have slaves and stuff?" then, slowly getting closer to the endgame, I suddenly get lore dumps about how there is slave trade in Deadfire and how bad it is and whatever. So you head out to the fort - which is cool and all but very short, again - do some stuff there, free a slave, kill the dudes, done. Topic closed. That was the first and last time I heard about slavers for more than a short sentence in a main NPCs dialog tree.

There should be slave ships and I should be able to free them or sell them or whatever. This is a huge topic, but it matters little to nothing in the gameworld. Makes me feel as if it was just tucked on at a later point, because someone remembered about slaves.

TT1

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
So I played for more 4 hours today and found Xoti (she was not in Port Maje, but in Gaun temple, in Neketaka) and Ydwin. A lot of bugs, like the ones I posted and one really bizarre:

Couple of minutes after I found Xoti, she started to talk about one day that she saw Eder sleeping and whatever. What? I just met you for the first time some minutes ago! What the hell you talking about? Jesus Christ, Obsidian! Better job in the world: Obsidian QA! You dont need to do anything!

That's weird as hell. First of all, I don't see why she wouldn't be at Port Maje. And second, I don't see why she'd spawn elsewhere if you didn't find her in Port Maje.

I dont have any idea. Someone in this thread told me she was in Port Maje, so I went there and ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
Sea shanties are just a wasted opportunity even if they do play. It plays too quiet to really be enjoyed over the enviromental sounds heard while swimming. They should be playing while you're on land as well. Overall audio is by far the weakest par of the game and somebody needs to get a kick in the nuts for fucking it up so badly.

BAh!
You have a developer tag?
Who the fuck was so out of touch to bring you aboard any game project?

Experienced professionals who know a real talent when they see it.

Obsidian Entertainment

:what:

wtf...

Did Feargus got tired of you giving him head and this tag is his letter of recommendation before giving you the boot?
Is he that experienced professional?

Founder?
What did you help establish?
The manual on how to orally please the boss??

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Can you own a slave? Probably not, which is a shame. I still can't decide what my character's stance on slavery is, whether she is against it because she was a slave (and a priest of Skaen) or she thinks slaves deserve it unless they can free themselves somehow (because she's a priest of Skaen). Either way, I'd like to own a slave.

FreeKaner

Prophet of the Dumpsterfire
Can you own a slave? Probably not, which is a shame. I still can't decide what my character's stance on slavery is, whether she is against it because she was a slave (and a priest of Skaen) or she thinks slaves deserve it unless they can free themselves somehow (because she's a priest of Skaen). Either way, I'd like to own a slave.

500 years of slavery wasn't enough?

Parabalus

Arcane

You can buy a slave, but I'd have to check if you can add him to your crew enslaved, you can if you free him, so likely yes.

FreeKaner

I don't know, I wasn't there. Nobody alive was.

Too mature of a response to my flamebait.

Regarding your question there is slaves in the game but they are not really integrated. Although really there is no reason to integrate them either, because there isn't any explanation of lack of manpower in the area. For chattel slavery to develop organically there needs to be operations where expendable manpower is necessary, from what we read in the dig site in first island the Vailians are just paying natives for work instead. This is one of the things that Sawyer disappoints me in, he is interested in history, he should know these especially when he got into colonialism. There is a natural source to be exploited, a lot of ships, colonial settlements and brothels etc. Where are all the slaves?

In case of motivation, Skaen does seem to hate those who do not rise up. Especially when you consider his approach to other Gods.

Rinslin Merwind

Erudite
map and game contradict itself.

map in citation is not official

:deathclaw:
Instead of facepalming and rating my post as retarded, you better give me official map or at least confirm that this is official map, because I have seen in this thread some weird shit and there was variations of this map (at least one). This thread is a chaos, I can miss anything about game.You as one of devs better know than me, so my ignorance would be fixed.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
The setting and historical period would've/should've produced great roleplaying opportunities, maybe even unique ones in the RPG sphere. Where is my C&C, reactivity and roleplaying potential, Obsidian?

FreeKaner

Instead of facepalming and rating my post as retarded, you better give me official map or at least confirm that this is official map, because I have seen in this thread some weird shit and there was variations of this map (at least one). This thread is a chaos, I can miss anything about game.You as one of devs better know than me, so my ignorance would be fixed.

There is no official map. The map you saw was just someone theorycrafting based on descriptions in game.

Rinslin Merwind

Erudite

There is no official map. The map you saw was just someone theorycrafting based on descriptions in game.
Ok, now I understand. Thank you very much, this thread is real mess, I wonder when it derailing completely.

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
So I played for more 4 hours today and found Xoti (she was not in Port Maje, but in Gaun temple, in Neketaka) and Ydwin. A lot of bugs, like the ones I posted and one really bizarre:

Couple of minutes after I found Xoti, she started to talk about one day that she saw Eder sleeping and whatever. What? I just met you for the first time some minutes ago! What the hell you talking about? Jesus Christ, Obsidian! Better job in the world: Obsidian QA! You dont need to do anything!

That's weird as hell. First of all, I don't see why she wouldn't be at Port Maje. And second, I don't see why she'd spawn elsewhere if you didn't find her in Port Maje.

I dont have any idea. Someone in this thread told me she was in Port Maje, so I went there and ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

She's originally in Port Maje when you first get there, but if you don't recruit her right off the bat she goes to the temple of Gaun in Neketaka. If you do get her in Port Maje, she's traveling with the Dawnstars at the time, who are on their way to Neketaka. Basically she just travels like you'd expect her to.

FreeKaner

The setting and historical period would've/should've produced great roleplaying opportunities, maybe even unique ones in the RPG sphere. Where is my C&C, reactivity and roleplaying potential, Obsidian?

All they had to do was to NOT make the game a direct sequel, remove all the Eothas and statue in it. Just an adventure in deadfire tied to factions and adra, New Vegas style. Hell, even Shadowrun concept would be fit with factions and missions, with a personal story to follow meanwhile. I imagine they could have done better if they didn't waste resources and time on all the save game transfer and Eothas sequences. The game comes off as weak whenever Gods and philosophy is involved anyhow while its strongest suit is the struggles on the ground.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom