Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pre-DLC Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
Paladins in Eora don't have divine powers, they come from their own souls.

Which is why I find the name paladin to be spectacularly inapt for them.

Call them 'soul knights' or something. These guys threw away the perfectly fine word "Vampire" and made up a new one for the exact same thing. But they have to misuse the term paladin for a completely new/different idea because, eh why not, who cares about etymology, close enough.

*Edit* although it is an interesting portrayal of the modern millennial ideal of "being true to yourself" as more important than following any kind of higher power or moral authority.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
The problem with world-building is that it poorly translates into the game. And that's because the main quest is deliberately completely disconnected from it.
So you get factions, which have a fair amount of shared interests, which itself translates into intricate quest design. And that's cool and all.
But ultimately, it doesn't lead to anything relevant or satisfying. Because ultimately huh u should take care of this statue business.

So at any point in the game, and even without uttering a word to any faction past the meeting in the palace I suspect, you can rush to the north of the map and score an epic touchdown like the shit hero that the watcher always wanted to be.
I assume you can even immediatly go there once you have your ship. It might even be the whole point of it : to try to emulate how fallout, for instance, gives you total freedom.
But it just doesn't work well, story-wise. The supermutant business in fallout is connected to the world, through the cathedral for instance, or through how super mutants clear necropolis clean after some point in the game has passed.
It has a clear impact, and it feels relevant.

Here it's just huh, have a sandbox to play in. When you're done, wash your hands and go deal with eothas.
That's pretty weak, ultimately.

The faction all do try to react to Eothas though, but they realize they can't fight him head on.

All 4 quest lines are concerned with Eothas and how to follow him to the last location, not sure about the queen but the other 3 all have you directly dealing with providing the means of following in his wake.

I haven't gone in alone but you need 120k in gold at least, that's not really "immediately".
I'd love to report on that, but my questline from the queen is broken I think.
The game goes bananas whenever you deal with stuff before you're asked to. The leader of the natives acknowledge that I already dealth with the slavers, and said something about the rauatai fleet - the very same fleet whose script bugged out while I was doing stuff for Rauatai already. Now she won't utter a word. The queen won't utter a word. And all I can do is put poisonous fruits in the native leader bowl or something, which doesn't do anything.
So far, regarding the world, it feels like Eothas has passed and is just waiting for me to finally end the game.
Broken quests like this one is the reason i decided to kill everyone that wasn't pirate before going to do the final boss! It is interesting that some were still alive in the end sliders. And some tried to kill me on the end island.

Parabalus

Arcane
A paladin in PoE doesn't even have to have a formal creed or superiors, he just has to feel strongly enough about something.
I like how it's phrased

You don't have to put effort into anything to be special, you just have to feel special

Yes, but feeling special enough in Eora results your sword going ablaze or poisonous, healing people by touching them, turning yourself into an immolating sun, etc., instead of changing your gender.

Can you really argue against results? :positive:

Paladins in Eora don't have divine powers, they come from their own souls.

*Edit* although it is an interesting portrayal of the modern millennial ideal of "being true to yourself" as more important than following any kind of higher power or moral authority.

There is no higher moral authority in Eora.

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
you kids have been playing too much skyrim. and it seems sawyerism is starting to rot your brains.
there's no such thing as a rogue paladin. the rogue stands for absolute freedom and the paladin for total obedience. once a rogue becomes a paladin he can no longer be a rogue and vice versa.
stop trying to defend this shit, you fucking incest victims of incest victims!

you all seem to focus only on the paladin side while completely forgetting the rogue side.
a paladin is just a warrior with a creed, yeah, sure, whatever. but he will follow his creed, be disciplined and obey his superiors. remove all that and he is no longer a paladin.
while a rogue should be free. remove his freedom and he will no longer be a rogue. yes, a thieves guild is imaginable but in no way does it resemble a military order!
not sure how much clearer do i have to make myself for you idiots to finally understand what i'm saying.

Coming at this from the rogue side of things, would anyone argue that a spy is NOT a rogue? They have the full rogue skillset and their business is skullduggery.

But a spy can also have a cause beyond pure selfishness, like loyalty to a state or an ideology. So if you want an example of a Rogue/Paladin, I'd say it's someone like a true believer in communism who joins the KGB, or a true believer in free markets and western democracy who joins the CIA. They're still driven by what they view as a righteous cause, they just believe that the ends justify the means.

Lexx

Cipher
So I just finished the game. Steam says I played for 46 hours.

All in all I think it's good, and I don't feel like I've wasted money here. In fact, I also bought the DLC package even if I'm not sure yet if I will play it or not or whatever. I'm too lazy to write a big coherent text, so here are a few things thrown into the room:

- Love the setting and all that jazz. Reminds me of Arcanum in a way (magic & guns, potential for a real industrial revolution in the future).
- Yay pirates.
- Combat is too easy. I cranked up the difficulty mid-game, but it didn't really change much except for very few special situations which raped me dead till the end. Thing is, just cranking up the difficulty wouldn't be the right thing to do either. It'll just make all combat tedious again... it's a really though topic, to be honest. I want some challenges... sometimes... and other times I just want to steamroll stuff.
- Didn't really understood the relationship system, tbh. Couldn't bang shark-girl, because I kept losing points for her.
- In general there was little progression in the relationship area. Same goes for companion vs. companion stuff. Who knows, maybe I've played too neutral most of the time.
- First I was going for the Huana people, because I thought them to be somewhat suppressed and stuff. Then I found out they are all just a bag of dicks.
- Settled for the Rauatai then, mainly because I wanted that special ship...
- ... which I ended up using for like 1 minute. Sad.
- Quests were mostly good, though as with combat, I steamrolled through most stat checks easily. Some quests looked very promising, but then ended up being a couple win-buttons.
- Half of the side-quest dungeons were lazy as hell. They looked good, but tl;dr .. small corridor, couple rooms, put in some mobs and loot, done. Meh... I know the endless path in PoE1 was shit as hell, but a part of me still wishes for at least one really big dungeon in PoE2.
- Why can I sell every shit at every trader? Here is me dumping a "couple items" at the next best food trader that crossed my path:
dVDlvMD.jpg
- Endgame was ok. In the end I routed for the villain, because the gods are all just a bag of dicks too.
- Had some bugs, but nothing serious.
- Honestly, I liked the VO. Some of the characters are unfitting, but all in all it's not bad. I'm not a native speaker, so my opinion on the matter doesn't mean much, though.

That's all I can think of right now. tl;dr - liked it, but has potential for much more.

Last edited:

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
Yes, but feeling special enough in Eora results your sword going ablaze or poisonous, healing people by touching them, turning yourself into an immolating sun, etc., instead of changing your gender.

Can you really argue against results?

True enough, but if that's all it takes, why doesn't everyone do it? It sort of cheapens the world and is one of the reasons I find the Pillars setting uninteresting. If everyone can manifest flaming swords through the power of positive thinking, its hard to justify having a deprived peasant class who relies on kings and priests.

Reapa

Doom Preacher
Would Altair from the original assassin's creed qualify as a rogue/paladin Reapa ?
Btw thanks for your insight on the matter, it's food for thought.
no, because he's not a rogue. he belongs to an order and he has a goal that's higher than self enrichment and he pursues it.
at least the way i picture it a rogue is free of such goals and structures.
like i said, i can imagine a thieves guild with the members agreeing not to steal from each other and maybe pay a membership fee for the upkeep of the gathering location, but nothing as rigidly structured as a military order or even an assassin's guild a la morag tong from morrowind with sealed honorable writs of execution, ties to the state and law enforcement and a clear hierarchical structure.

Parabalus

Arcane

Can you really argue against results?

True enough, but if that's all it takes, why doesn't everyone do it? It sort of cheapens the world and is one of the reasons I find the Pillars setting uninteresting. If everyone can manifest flaming swords through the power of positive thinking, its hard to justify having a deprived peasant class who relies on kings and priests.

Because everyone can't do it, much like not everyone can swallow swords, have a six pack, join the army, be upper middle class etc IRL.
Your logic about peasants works for fighter or rogue classes too, why don't they just beat or assassinate their oppressors?

FreeKaner

Prophet of the Dumpsterfire
I realised that D&D paladins have nothing to do with Roman palatines or European military orders. That's what I am saying in the first place, I don't like D&D paladin concept at all. I prefer the military order of creed and code.

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
Sea shanties are just a wasted opportunity even if they do play. It plays too quiet to really be enjoyed over the enviromental sounds heard while swimming. They should be playing while you're on land as well. Overall audio is by far the weakest par of the game and somebody needs to get a kick in the nuts for fucking it up so badly.

BAh!
You have a developer tag?
Who the fuck was so out of touch to bring you aboard any game project?

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth
Justin Bell said:
There are a couple conditions you must meet prior to hearing sea shanties:

- You have to have visited Neketaka
- Morale needs to be higher than 30%
- Total crew size nee needs to exceed 20% of the total crew capacity of your ship
- You need to be sailing (i.e. not in combat or walking)
- They have a 40% chance of playing vs the non shanty music

My numbers might be slightly off but it's close. They react to other things too like gender ratio. If your crew is majority on gender it will change the gender of the lead singer. If it's full one gender or another, you'll only hear that one gender.

:rpgcodex:

all u ppl sayin u got shanties right when leaving port maje are l i a r s

TT1

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
So I played for more 4 hours today and found Xoti (she was not in Port Maje, but in Gaun temple, in Neketaka) and Ydwin. A lot of bugs, like the ones I posted and one really bizarre:

Couple of minutes after I found Xoti, she started to talk about one day that she saw Eder sleeping and whatever. What? I just met you for the first time some minutes ago! What the hell you talking about? Jesus Christ, Obsidian! Better job in the world: Obsidian QA! You dont need to do anything!

Reapa

Doom Preacher
you kids have been playing too much skyrim. and it seems sawyerism is starting to rot your brains.
there's no such thing as a rogue paladin. the rogue stands for absolute freedom and the paladin for total obedience. once a rogue becomes a paladin he can no longer be a rogue and vice versa.
stop trying to defend this shit, you fucking incest victims of incest victims!

you all seem to focus only on the paladin side while completely forgetting the rogue side.
a paladin is just a warrior with a creed, yeah, sure, whatever. but he will follow his creed, be disciplined and obey his superiors. remove all that and he is no longer a paladin.
while a rogue should be free. remove his freedom and he will no longer be a rogue. yes, a thieves guild is imaginable but in no way does it resemble a military order!
not sure how much clearer do i have to make myself for you idiots to finally understand what i'm saying.

Coming at this from the rogue side of things, would anyone argue that a spy is NOT a rogue? They have the full rogue skillset and their business is skullduggery.

But a spy can also have a cause beyond pure selfishness, like loyalty to a state or an ideology. So if you want an example of a Rogue/Paladin, I'd say it's someone like a true believer in communism who joins the KGB, or a true believer in free markets and western democracy who joins the CIA. They're still driven by what they view as a righteous cause, they just believe that the ends justify the means.
yes, i would argue that a spy is not a rogue exactly because he follows a higher cause and follows orders. a rogue to me would be a highly anti authoritarian person. not a stupid one that would pick a fight with a police officer but one that would never ever think of enrolling.

Jezal_k23

So I played for more 4 hours today and found Xoti (she was not in Port Maje, but in Gaun temple, in Neketaka) and Ydwin. A lot of bugs, like the ones I posted and one really bizarre:

Couple of minutes after I found Xoti, she started to talk about one day that she saw Eder sleeping and whatever. What? I just met you for the first time some minutes ago! What the hell you talking about? Jesus Christ, Obsidian! Better job in the world: Obsidian QA! You dont need to do anything!

That's weird as hell. First of all, I don't see why she wouldn't be at Port Maje. And second, I don't see why she'd spawn elsewhere if you didn't find her in Port Maje.

Lexx

Cipher
Xoti can be found in Port Maje? I, too, only got her in the temple of Gaun.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom