Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Grimoire gameplay and hints thread

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
75 pages of hints. Complicated game indeed :D

So far I'm struggling to do anything in this game - keep dying constantly and/or getting permanent non-curable conditions on my characters (like paralysis).
Which starting area did you choose? The default starting area, Briarpatch Woods, has two dungeons near your starting position. Explore the Shrine of the Raptor first (make sure to put the owl figurine into the alcove) and then Aquavia. You'll probably find either the mid-boss or the end-boss of Aquavia too hard at the moment, so, after exploring up until one of those points, leave Aquavia, explore Briarpatch Woods fully, and then enter the Village of Crowl, where you can buy and sell items, before returning to complete Aquavia. Also note that you can recruit Little Rosy near your starting position, if you need the advantage of over-powered NPC party members (I completed Grimoire without them).

Last edited:

Diggfinger

Arcane
75 pages of hints. Complicated game indeed :D

So far I'm struggling to do anything in this game - keep dying constantly and/or getting permanent non-curable conditions on my characters (like paralysis).
Which starting area did you choose? The default starting area, Briarpatch Woods, has two dungeons near your starting position. Explore the Shrine of the Raptor first (make sure to put the owl figurine into the alcove) and then Aquavia. You'll probably find either the mid-boss or the end-boss of Aquavia too hard at the moment, so, after exploring up until one of those points, leave Aquavia, explore Briarpatch Woods fully, and then enter the Village of Crowl, where you can buy and sell items, before returning to complete Aquavia. Also note that you can recruit Little Rosy near your starting position, if you need the advantage of over-powered NPC party members (I completed Grimoire without them).

Yes, I started there too (only found out later where in the menu to change starting position)

I've entered all the dungeons available to me. Nearly completed Raptor, but the one with the water everywhere is nearly completely closed off.

My plan was to grind endless to at least advance one level. I get butchered by the band of rogues to the east (I think) in the outdoor map. Even with little Rosy (although she help loads)

Pretty sure my party's sub-optimal. I'm playing version 1.2.7-something so alot of the classes are missing (nothing happens when you click them).

Was against looking up a guide, but maybe the game will be more fun if I do.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Yes, I started there too (only found out later where in the menu to change starting position)

I've entered all the dungeons available to me. Nearly completed Raptor, but the one with the water everywhere is nearly completely closed off.

My plan was to grind endless to at least advance one level. I get butchered by the band of rogues to the east (I think) in the outdoor map. Even with little Rosy (although she help loads)

Pretty sure my party's sub-optimal. I'm playing version 1.2.7-something so alot of the classes are missing (nothing happens when you click them).

You might want to start over with a new party, after looking up tips for party creation. In terms of classes, I recommend having a sage with the invaluable "detect secrets" spell that finds secret buttons and other things when active. It's also good to have a cleric and at least two other spellcasters (of course, Little Rosy can be used as one of them). Bards were overpowered in early versions of Grimoire, but I'm not sure if this still the case. For melee characters, the "lethal blow" skill is quite useful.

Max Edge

I found this game enjoyable. But it's really strange, that, between all this races, we don't have Neanderthal.

Diggfinger

Arcane

You might want to start over with a new party, after looking up tips for party creation. In terms of classes, I recommend having a sage with the invaluable "detect secrets" spell that finds secret buttons and other things when active. It's also good to have a cleric and at least two other spellcasters (of course, Little Rosy can be used as one of them). Bards were overpowered in early versions of Grimoire, but I'm not sure if this still the case. For melee characters, the "lethal blow" skill is quite useful.

Current party.

1. Berserker (dwarf)
2. Warrior (giant)
3. Thief (human)
4. Bard (?)
5. Necromancer (Vamphyr)
6. Wizard (Drow)
7. Cleric (Human)
8. Little Rosy
...so clearly missing the sage!
Read that Aeorb/sage combination is great.

Last edited:

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron

In the beginning, the special attack abilities of some races and crowd control spells are very powerful:

http://grimoire.wiki/index.php/Races#Races_with_special_attack_abilities
http://grimoire.wiki/index.php/Classes#Classes_that_start_with_crowd_control_spells

Another major trick is that some races inflict higher damage without weapons (eg. Drakes, Nagas and Saurians have 3D4 unarmed attacks while early weapons have only 1D4). Knowing that, you should have no problem in the beginning. And make sure to keep the Vitality bar high, because otherwise the penetration numbers go down.

For the best race/class combinations:
http://grimoire.wiki/index.php/Classes

BEST COMBINATIONS

Saurian Berserker 1.3x

Drake Metalsmith 1.5x

Barrower Thaumaturge 1.3x

Wolfin Cleric 1.2x

Wolfin Ranger 1.6x

Feyfolk Necromancer 1.6x

Aeorb Sage 2.0x

Durendil Templar 2.0x

Giant Warrior 1.5x

Rhattu Thief 1.1x

Rhattu Assassin 1.8x

Rhattu Pirate 1.7x

Bards and Wizards get no bonus points from any race.

Diggfinger

Arcane
Thanks all!

Practical question: just bought the game on Steam, any way to install/play it on a (non-Steam) PC?
Asking because I would like to install it on my work PC (and keep my own for more demanding games).

It that even possible ? (hate f%%&&ing DRM:argh:)

Diggfinger

Arcane

BEST COMBINATIONS

Saurian Berserker 1.3x

Drake Metalsmith 1.5x

Barrower Thaumaturge 1.3x

Wolfin Cleric 1.2x

Wolfin Ranger 1.6x

Feyfolk Necromancer 1.6x

Aeorb Sage 2.0x

Durendil Templar 2.0x

Giant Warrior 1.5x

Rhattu Thief 1.1x

Rhattu Assassin 1.8x

Rhattu Pirate 1.7x

Bards and Wizards get no bonus points from any race.

UOTE]

with Drake Metalsmith I was never allowed to allocate points to HP. I rolled 41 and 42, but whenever choosing Metalsmith or Thermagurge the character ended up with 12-15 HP only. Is that because those classes require lots of points?
When choosing warrior I could put the points into HP.

Same for necromancers (both vamphyr and feyfolk). Never got more than 6-9 HP.

Am I doing something wrong?

Diggfinger

Arcane
Is that because those classes require lots of points?

Yes.

Would you say it's still worth it to have a Drake Metalsmith with low HP or better do e.g. beserker and get loads of HP?

Also for necromancer, better to take this powerful class despite low HP?
(Maybe compensates when leveling up?)

*bonus* is bard a must-have? Which race's the best?

Last edited:

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Put two Saurian Berserkers in the front row and you're good. The Sage can use musical instruments, so a Bard is not really necessary. A Necromancer is optional, just like a Metalsmith (especially as long as crafting is still very limited). It also depends whether you want to keep your original party or get some of the NPC's. Don't know if they're still as powerful as in earlier versions - you can get two Clerics and a Paladin quite early on and others after you finish the first part of the game.

mondblut

Arcane
Wolfin have insane magic regen.

Saurians are multiclassing dead end due to abysmal mental scores. You won't be able to abuse the living hell out of multiclass system with them.

Edmund Spenser

Educated
Just got this game and goddamn does it seem arcane.

I figure I'll learn most of this as I go on, but for now some easy questions:
- If you have less characters in a party, do the remaining characters get more EXP?
- Is there a level cap?
- What exactly is the difference between Male and Female characters?
- Are there any solid race/class combos to have, besides eyeball sage?
- This seems like a min/maxer's paradise. Is there any reason to use a Human?

grimace

Arcane
Just got this game and goddamn does it seem arcane.

I figure I'll learn most of this as I go on, but for now some easy questions:
- If you have less characters in a party, do the remaining characters get more EXP?
- Is there a level cap?

Until we get the official manual we have
http://grimoire.wiki/index.php/Main_Page

mondblut

Arcane

I think so. When I was leaving a number of characters at the owl shrine to spread out their leveling a bit, the remainder gained more xp.

- Is there a level cap?

There were rumors of 20, but the exponential scale means you are unlikely to pass 10.

Men have more 20% more str, women 20% more fel, or something like that. Go with men.

Vamphyri necromancer (sucks due to fluid values of speed kicking him out of the party's rhythm), durendil templar (decent but almost no equipment), saurian berserker (still too dumb to multiclass).

You can go burrower and wolfin for everyone but sage and you'll be solid.

Horrible creatures, I avoid them whenever I can.

Absolutely none.

Edmund Spenser

Educated
Thanks for the answers! I haven't got a chance to play, but I love making smaller parties. Been looking around and I may try something like Berserker/Berserker/Sage/Wizard but I'll keep tinkering I think.

If nothing else, the story of a 20 year passion project really resounds with me. Makes me dream of doing it myself one day!

Diggfinger

Arcane
Thanks for the answers! I haven't got a chance to play, but I love making smaller parties. Been looking around and I may try something like Berserker/Berserker/Sage/Wizard but I'll keep tinkering I think.

If nothing else, the story of a 20 year passion project really resounds with me. Makes me dream of doing it myself one day!

It's a fun game to play for sure. I love the graphical presentation and, frustrating as it can be, the oldschoolness reminds me of classic games I never got to play.
Funny to think I play this over Wasteland 2, Pillars and other newer games I have :cool:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom