Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Arcanum Arcanum Multiverse Edition

Major_Blackhart Which race would you suggest? Because I would have liked very much the tech ogre, but I'm scared of the malus of the "sickly" background. And I'm not that sure Half-orc is a good idea.

Please don't suggest dwarf.

Arcane swords are not subject to degradation too, if I don't remember wrong, so that's another point to magic.

Macbeth In a walkthrough I read: If you loot the corpses of your opponents in the pit on the Isle of Despair, you may acquire a sword that is probably superior in its stats to the Barbarian Heavy Blade. I seem to remember that I've also looted it. Is there any chance you could make this sword being sold by a vendor instead of having to glitch to find it?

Master

Arbiter
You could try relying on potions of intelect for whenever you wanna craft something, as an ogre. Don't know how doable it is, but it would be interesting.

So I've tried this for another run of Arcanum, but I have trouble getting the high res patch working on wine (GOG version of game). It just keeps starting in 800x600, regardless of what resolution I put in the settings. Did anyone got it working in linux?

agris

Arcane
Patron
Macbeth In a walkthrough I read: If you loot the corpses of your opponents in the pit on the Isle of Despair, you may acquire a sword that is probably superior in its stats to the Barbarian Heavy Blade. I seem to remember that I've also looted it. Is there any chance you could make this sword being sold by a vendor instead of having to glitch to find it?
Why do you think that's a bug and not intended?

Everytime I played Arcanum, as soon as you finished the duel in the arena, it would (almost instantly) load and I would get right out of the arena. Wasn't it the same for you?

agris

Arcane
Patron
Why is that a bug, though? Why should it become easy to get the sword by buying it a vendor?

If developers wanted you to get that weapon, why would they make it accessible that way? If it's not a bug, it is probably a left over, or something that shouldn't have been there from beginning.

Last edited:

deama

Prophet
So I've tried this for another run of Arcanum, but I have trouble getting the high res patch working on wine (GOG version of game). It just keeps starting in 800x600, regardless of what resolution I put in the settings. Did anyone got it working in linux?
Multiverse comes with the game fully installed, so delete the gog one and all traces of the game, then only install the multiverse one and see if that works.

Thanks, I think I got it now. I reinstalled Multiverse, and this time high res patch works for some reason. Well, as long as I don't try to run the game directly from config, then it never starts. Now to see if the game is as good as I remember it.

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
Major_Blackhart Which race would you suggest? Because I would have liked very much the tech ogre, but I'm scared of the malus of the "sickly" background. And I'm not that sure Half-orc is a good idea.

Please don't suggest dwarf.

Arcane swords are not subject to degradation too, if I don't remember wrong, so that's another point to magic.

Arcane swords are not subject to degradation, this is true. But to utilize them fully requires an investment in magic.

Personally, I love playing a half-orc female who was an avid duelist and had quite the barbed tongue, despite her ghastly looks. Quite the adventurer to boot and fondly remembers Sir Franklyn Payne as her most favorite of all companions.

Stat wise, she would be geared towards a master in melee and dodge and charisma, and upped her technology abilities enough to use some of the better blades and armor out there.

With a high charisma, she could recruit any number of individuals and convince anyone she was in the right. And when that failed, she would skewer them with a flaming rapier.

Urthor

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Is there any way to actually read the spell descriptions in game? I can't managed to actually get the details of the 80 different spells to appear in the text box, actually depressed that I've just left Shrouded Hills and I don't know what my spells do.

Last edited:
Go to the character screen and mouse over the spells?

Granted they are horribly vague, you need to consult internet sources to figure out exact effects.

agris

Arcane
Patron
Is there any way to actually read the spell descriptions in game? I can't managed to actually get the details of the 80 different spells to appear in the text box, actually depressed that I've just left Shrouded Hills and I don't know what my spells do.
Not in-game that I'm aware of, a copy of the manual handy will help you tho. Or yeah, 2nd screen with the wiki pulled up.

Urthor

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I figured it out after doing 3 towns haha

What you have to do is put the spells in the quick slots, then you have to click on the blue spell bar to minimise the spell menu, then you can read the description of spells in your quick slots in the black box. Roundabout but it got me there, and because this game takes 10 minutes to alt tab in and out the 2nd screen with the wiki up method isn't too effective, this was almost essential to actually doing a mage run.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Quick question: I looked over my folder of Arcanum stuffs, and I'm wondering which of the following patches/mods are included in the Multiverse Edition:

HQ Townmaps
Lossless Soundtrack
XP Cap Removal
Lost Dungeon of Souls

Deadass

Savant
hello i will play arcanum for the first time soon, what mods should i install? thanks guys bye

c'mon this is serious don't put yes ratings :(

Last edited:

deama

Prophet
Is it any good though? Sounds like just some dungeon crawling thing.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Thanks for the answers, I guess. I managed to dig a bit further on my own, now I'm only down to the XP Cap Removal patch. Does the Multiverse Edition support it, or does it have its own version of it?

deama

Prophet
Thanks for the answers, I guess. I managed to dig a bit further on my own, now I'm only down to the XP Cap Removal patch. Does the Multiverse Edition support it, or does it have its own version of it?
I think it supports it, I might be remembering wrong, but there might even be an option to include it in the installation? Or is my memory hassy?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom