Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pre-DLC Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

Prime Junta

I wonder how hard is to hire one of them negro writers (or whatever they called in woke california) to write for a game....

chinua achebe's pillars of eternity 3

i'd play that

You'd need a necromancer.

everything is possible with the power of adra

I suppose a Watcher could work too, if the soul is still around

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member

actually, speaking of this, barely launching the game instantly got me laughing when i saw this, the very first scene/text in the game:

HhlF94.jpg

the magical, mystical substance known as adra

how is that shit STILL magical mystical when everyone seems to be going after it and it's growing fucking everywhere?

SophosTheWise

Cipher

actually, speaking of this, barely launching the game instantly got me laughing when i saw this, the very first scene/text in the game:

how is that shit STILL magical mystical when everyone seems to be going after it and it's growing fucking everywhere?

Probably because nobody knows why and how it works

Gay-Lussac

Arcane

HhlF94.jpg

Definition of mystical

1a : having a spiritual meaning or reality that is neither apparent to the senses nor obvious to the intelligence
  • the mystical food of the sacrament
b : involving or having the nature of an individual's direct subjective communion with God or ultimate reality
  • the mystical experience of the Inner Light
2: mysterious, unintelligible

Seems like they're going for the number 1 meaning here, but, regarding number 2, animancers in the game are trying to research adra because it has a lot of untapped properties (i.e. mysterious properties).

Seems like you're conflating mysterious with hidden or rare? Bit of poor form to make such a silly mistake when trying to shit on other people's writing :(

Jinn

Arcane
I tend to see some similarities between adra and another fictional substance that I know both Roxor and I appreciate as well.

Last edited:
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Egosphere said:
[Her favourite games include] Fallout 3, BioShock, Final Fantasy 12, Borderlands 2, Portal 2, Saints Row 3, Tales from the Borderlands, Witcher 3, Resident Evil 7, Monster Hunter Tri, Catherine, Alice: Madness Returns, Valkyria Chronicles, The Wolf Among Us, Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance, Halo: Reach, Minecraft, Castle Crashers, Splatoon. This is a narrative designer at Obsidian.
The "I'm a quirky gamer girl who started playing video games in 2008" taste.
:killit:

Last edited:

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
It does sound infantile, but it is infants who it is targeted at. Try giving an optimally comprehensive description of Eora in 3 sentences that should be understandable and captivating for a target audience aged between 15 and 40.

Last edited:

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
I still am catching up with this thread, but I am about 25 hours in.
  • Remember when I said empowered fireball was the shit? Well, empowered Minoletta's Concussive Missiles is even better. I killed instantly four Eotans/Ogres that were three levels above with a single cast of this spell on PotD. Furthermore, being a multiclass character, I can only imagine how strong a max level wizard would be with the additional power levels. This comes as a shock, because wizards and casters seemed so terrible. I do not want to assume too much about balance at this point, but I am starting to believe two Wizards in a party can demolish most encounters. Still, Priest of Eothas/Evoker is pretty fun by itself.
  • I still have only 1/4 of the map explored.
  • The characters and factions I thought I would hate the most (e.g., Huana, Sefarin, Ydwin) are better than characters/factions I thought I would like.
  • Persistent Distraction/Engagement build on Eder is pretty good. -5 perception on all melee enemies gives my melee characters a nice advantage.
  • Now that I can confidently win boarding actions, ship combat is a nice way to obtain weapons, money, and supplies.
  • I am coming around to the food/rest system. There was a dungeon filled with traps, and at a certain point my characters did not have the perception required to find the upper level traps. I camped and gave one of my characters food with a perception buff and I managed to find the rest of the traps.
  • I actually enjoyed Fort Deadlight with respect to how I could enter the stronghold and my options to finish the quest (brute force, trickery, etc.).

Last edited:

AwesomeButton

Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I am coming around to the food/rest system. There was a dungeon filled with traps, and at a certain point my characters did not have the perception required to find the upper level traps. I camped and gave one of my characters food with a perception buff and I managed to find the rest of the traps.
I never think of using food buffs. Roleplaying mentality.

Some laughs:

Prime Junta

Hmm, so maybe Barb/Cipher would be better?

I like the idea of the chanter, some nice auras and summons.

Both would certainly work. You already have a companion you can turn into a barb/cipher though...

Grab the Codex by the pussy
It does sound infantile, but it is infants who it is targeted at. Try giving an optimally comprehensive description of Eora in 3 sentences that should be understandable and captivating for a target audience aged between 15 and 40.
The problem is that they treat their made up lore too seriously and they are using it as an explanation for everything in the laziest manner. This is the stuff that should be merely hinted and mentioned a couple times, not used as if they were doing a movie about it. It banalises the whole thing. Ask yourself if the target audience wants to read about this stuff. They don't care. Don't give a fuck. What is this? A fantasy book? This is a pointless waste of resources to deliver rushed text that nobody is reading. Nobody expect codexers and game journalists who think that cRPGs are high literature. These developers are living in a bubble they created for themselves.

Last edited:

Projas

Information Superhighwayman
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Did anyone manage to *successfully* finish Pallegina's quest? If so what
is the right combination of answers to the godlike captain's questions? Because I tried a couple of things and I think at least one of them should have worked, so I suspect it might be either bugged for me, or the outcome is always the same no matter what you answer (which I doubt, but it would really suck if that was the case)

Quillon

Arcane
Anyone know where the sixth ship is/how to get it?

is the right combination of answers to the godlike captain's questions? Because I tried a couple of things and I think at least one of them should have worked, so I suspect it might be either bugged for me, or the outcome is always the same no matter what you answer (which I doubt, but it would really suck if that was the case)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=viGPtDGa9BA

AwesomeButton

Patron
The problem is that they treat their made up lore too seriously. This is the stuff that should hinted and mentioned a couple times, not used as if they were doing a movie about it. It banalises the whole thing. Ask yourself if the target audience wants to read about this stuff. They don't care. Don't give a fuck. What is this? A fantasy book? This is a pointless waste of resources to deliver rushed text that nobody is reading. Nobody expect codexers and game journalists who think that cRPGs are high literature. These developers are living in a bubble they created for themselves.
I just asked Josh how did they, and did they in the first place, manage to keep the narrative style consistent between the more light-hearted companions, the "Gods And The Fate of Nations" story, and a "colonialism free for all" setting. I'm curious what he will answer.

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
I am coming around to the food/rest system. There was a dungeon filled with traps, and at a certain point my characters did not have the perception required to find the upper level traps. I camped and gave one of my characters food with a perception buff and I managed to find the rest of the traps.
I never think of using food buffs. Roleplaying mentality.

Some laughs:
I typically ignore it as well, but I was so close to the final room.

When I think back to the beta, I assumed many changes were made to reign in Priests and Wizards. Wizards, however, are so strong around level 10 that I have to question my initial assumption. Priests appear toned down, but I have not hit Avatar and Divine Storm yet.

I also found a cat that increases fire spells and a ring that increases the accuracy of fire spells. I have not found equivalent items for corrosive or water/ice spells.

Last edited:

AwesomeButton

Patron
When I think back to the beta, I assume many changes were made to reign in Priests and Wizards. Wizards, however, are so strong around level 10 that I have to question my initial assumption. Priests appear toned down, but I have not hit Avatar and Divine storm yet.
That's a consequence of making every ability per-encounter, while still retaining the thinking of, and expectation of caster classes' powers from the times when their spells were per rest.

I think the game can potentially be much more interesting if per-rest abilities are back. I say potentially because no one can stop the player from hitting the rest button.

Parabalus

Arcane

Did anyone manage to save the guy in combat? I got the correct answer, but the prick annoyed me so I tried to axe them, but the hostage has 1 hp and insta died, couldn't cast Withdraw on him in time (best idea I had).

The only ship I've found that isn't on the merchant is
ghost ship from Principi questline

When I think back to the beta, I assume many changes were made to reign in Priests and Wizards. Wizards, however, are so strong around level 10 that I have to question my initial assumption. Priests appear toned down, but I have not hit Avatar and Divine storm yet.
That's a consequence of making every ability per-encounter, while still retaining the thinking of, and expectation of caster classes' powers from the times when their spells were per rest.

I think the game can potentially be much more interesting if per-rest abilities are back. I say potentially because no one can stop the player from hitting the rest button.

There are a bunch of overpowered per rest abilities on items. There is also empower, which feels like a cheat. Game would be better if both of them were removed, items all turned to per encounter - don't think there is any hope of giving meaning to rests, just burn it all down.

Going by Xoti Storm of Holy Fire and Symbol of Eothas are stupid strong, but a little more tolerable than wizards.

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
I actually do not think it is a consequence of per rest, as one could always rest after a battle in PoE1. Instead, I think Obsidian kept the spells strong, but with a long cast time to compensate. The tradeoff breaks down when you can simply cast empowered fireball or missile from stealth and avoid the downside of being shutdown in the middle of the encounter. In scripted or "random" encounters, enemies will focus on my Priest/Evoker, but I found spirit shield, combined with pain link from Sefaren is enough to keep him alive. So long as my Priest/Evoker stays alive and uninterrupted for 10 seconds or less, I can chain enough cast spells to victory.

My suggestion would be that spell casting could put enemies on alert, unless the caster has sufficient stealth skill to avoid it. As it stands, a Wizard can safely cast from stealth even with 1 or even no points in stealth.

Last edited:

veevoir

Klytus, I'm bored
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech
There are two extra ships in endgame questlines:

For Principi it is the
Ghost Ship
, you actually don't need to side with them after getting it, but it actually has only use if you do.. otherwise it is a shit ship.

And the Royal Company, as the representatives of the last government in Eora who is competent and actually progresses scientifically -
a mother fucking submarine

Projas

Information Superhighwayman
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

Thanks, worked. Turns out I'm just retarded and kept answering the third question wrong.
Did anyone manage to save the guy in combat?
Nope. He's dead before I can get any CC spell off.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
So level scaling doesnt work? Hmmm that might be why POTD seems so easy for alot of people I guess.

Also, I have heard numerous sea shanties when sailing

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom