Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pre-DLC Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

Ruzen

Savant
Main quest is also extremely short and as linear as it gets - no twists, no revelations, nothing. Utterly predictable.
Even side quests are very linear.

The game needed much more production time for lushing out the reworked skills and stealth features. At the first game, a simple missing person case could turn into artistic cannibal cult. Now, every step of the way the game telling me whats on my way. If these writers did any other small budget game everyone would make fun of the game.

Bonerbill

Augur
I actually like the music in this game a lot better than PoE1, which I thought was average at best since that game's music was too "safe". I really enjoy the world map theme and bar theme.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I'm starting to feel some kind of deja vu. Few years ago the codex was bitching about how bad the game was and that it flopped. And it turned out the game was enjoyed by most of the community and it was a financial success. Can't wait to see myself vindicated in a year.

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Some of the side quests are amazing. I just tried to negotiate a truce between the two Vailian families...

It did not end well. I picked the wrong dialogue options, things escalated, then the son of one of the leaders pulled a pistol and blew the other leader’s brains out. Then they tried to kill me so that they could frame me for the murder. Had to kill everyone to get out of there alive. Win some, lose some.

I really loved this because there was an intimidate skill check in there, but rather than being the insta-win option it made everything blow up in my face.

Riddler

Arcane
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
I'm starting to feel some kind of deja vu. Few years ago the codex was bitching about how bad the game was and that it flopped. And it turned out the game was enjoyed by most of the community and it was a financial success. Can't wait to see myself vindicated in a year.

Most people here who actually played the game seem to have enjoyed it though (although they have a number of gripes), which doesn't bode well for the financial success of the game going by your metrics.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

Most people here who actually played the game seem to have enjoyed it though (although they have a number of gripes), which doesn't bode well for the financial success of the game going by your metrics.
:shredder:

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
I'm reading the comments and it seems that characters and writing are some the worse aspects of the game. How the hell did this happen, these are the things Obsidian should excell at, aren't they?

Prime Junta

I'm reading the comments and it seems that characters and writing are some the worse aspects of the game. How the hell did this happen, these are the things Obsidian should excell at, aren't they?

They lost most of their best writers. The new ones don't appear to be up to the same standard.

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign

The West Indies were once the best cricket team, but no longer because they don't have the same great players anymore.

e: you are reading an analogy, fobia.

Cross

Arcane
All things considered, Deadfire's narrative is probably above average, for a new Obsidian game, considering this is what their writing standards look like nowadays:

GIbLWdL.jpg

Last edited:

Prime Junta

I hate these "above/below average" shitshows because which average are you comparing with? Average for Obsidian? Average for current RPGs? Average for all RPGs? Average for games in general? Average for TV/film? Average for novels?

Unless you specify the comparison will be almost meaningless.

reavor

Novice
The game was too easy, and gave off some serious SJW vibes. Why replace the "you must gather your party before venturing forth" with a female voice? Ship combat was pretty meh, but otherwise, more in depth companion stuff and a more open sandboxy type of world were good.

Trash Player

Scholar

:shredder:
It will turn out like every Obsidian non-hit: luke warm on the money side, enough to keep the ship afloat for a little longer while gathering a small but dedicated following. This scenario is not what Feargus and flunkeys want though, on top of that Josh expressed his desire to step down as a lead, the franchise will likely exist in Tabletop only in the foreseeable future.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I think that I have stated multiple times when someone with the insight of a toad says they are tied to morale that I have 100/100 morale.. but please obsidian apologists keep telling me that they only appear when morale is high when they, in fact, don't appear at all because they are not in the game.
I guarantee you I am getting shanties at as low as 44 morale. It may have to do with the food and drink however. Are you giving them morale+1 drink and/or food? Some grog should do.

Last edited:

Ulfhednar

Savant
So I'm supposed to be heading towards Ashen Maw, but let's talk about scripted interactions.

I thought these were great in the first game - they did a good job of conveying events that weren't easy to animate, they didn't show up too often, and when they did they had some really great atmosphere.

For PoE 2, they're everywhere. I could give two shits that my crew is throwing daggers at a picture of an Orlan, why is my first officer not taking care of this?

Urthor

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
So I just finished, but how many soulbound weapons did people actually find in their playthrough? I only managed to get ahold of two.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom