Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pre-DLC Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

Kaldurenik

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
What am I missing? I can't find Ondra's Mortar. I have the thing in my journal that says I've upgraded both sails and hull to max but there's still nothing that indicates where it is on the map.
NE corner of the map (the place that is a giant storm)

AN4RCHID

Arcane
Eder, Aloth and Xoti have permanent stays of residence in my party. The last slot is up for grabs, though currently it's occupied by Pallegina. I do feel I'm missing out though, by basically having the majority of the party be old companions.

I'm gonna kick Pallegina's ass out next time I play. Only really had her on for the same reasons as in PoE1: paladins are extremely useful.
Aloth is permanently shitcanned for me. Grimoires are lame in this game and there's nothing differentiating wizards from Druids. You're better off running with fishboy or Maia.

Maia has the most banal dialogue though. I don't even hate her, she's just boring. I thought she would have some good interjections while I was grinding out the Royal Deadfire Company quests, but meh, not really.

Pizzashoes

Scholar
The romance things is worse than I thought, or at least how it handled besides everyone being bi-sexual. I just finished a major mission, had a "cutscene" and after that woke up inside the captain quarters. I think I manged to click to move once before getting assaulted by every god damn companion in there. Everyone decided at the same time to make a pass on my guy. It felt really bizarre. I walked from one end of the ship to the next just to get cat called by every sailor on my ship... I almost felt virtually raped :) They could at least have spread out the triggers, postenago!

Funny thing also, one of the companions I just recruited before the mission, so she wasn't even really part of the crew, yet she still managed to fall in love with the mighty Watcher of Caed Nua
icon_rolleyes.gif
Now you know what being a woman is like.

Speaking of Mother's Day, when's Sawyer going to release the add-on that lets me make Pallegina a mother?

Ziggy

Scholar
Grimoires are lame in this game and there's nothing differentiating wizards from Druids

theres a couple items that are relatively easily attainable and net you +5 to Illusion power level and turn any wizard into way better mind fucker than a cipher could be, and then later with Wall of Many Colors absolutely destroy everything
even without that the good ol fireball is immensely satisfying, and at high levels wizards are ridiculous (not that it matters, as everything is piss easy at high levels, but still)

Generic-Giant-Spider

Pallegina's portrait looks like some shit that came out of an early 2000s Newgrounds flash game.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
There's also a Helm that boosts Wizard shit by +1 or +2, can't remember which. Think it was +2.

KK1001

Arbiter
Not touching this with a 10-foot pole until it is patched up and all the expansions are in.

That said is it: 1) better than PoE 2) did it fix PoE's myriad issues (rushed third act, lack of interesting enemy encounters)

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
According to the PoE reddit apparently Level Scaling, up or down, isn't taking effect:

This would make all of those "even with the scaling turned on!" comments fall in line.

It also is interesting re: the people who said level scaling turned on was "perfect" :M
No need to be an ass. I'm sure they're embarrassed enough as is.

Unlikely considering that the thread on reddit has no evidence whatsoever and makes baseless assumption of how scaling works. Especially considering the dude forced both PoTD and sacling in console which very likely might have caused a bug.

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
This game is wayy too easy. I am really bored...

Not sure I can even finish it.. I did a cookie cutter rogue build with 2 sabres.. Using all the companions as is.. I am still almost one shotting bosses with just that rogue. Perception once again is the King Stat.. Resolve totally dumpable.

I didn't play the beta or "theorycraft" I just made my PoE 1 build basically..

I thought for a second that maybe Backstabbing wouldn't scale too insanely.. but there are items that actually increase the damage % of it. So yea just gonna keep having 4 second dragon battles.

Fun game Sawyer. zZzZz

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
You can't one-shot anything with existing Rogue abilities on PotD. Only Monks and Wizards can (for now) one shot stuff due to Swift Flurry and Rod Blasts.

Sentinel

Arcane
Just finished it. Some quickfire thoughts on my experience. I don't know how much C&C there is. Anyway:

+ Game is beautiful
+ Gameplay is much improved over PoE1
+ Itemization is the best in the genre

+/- The Party AI is shit and will often waste resources on spells that have a 0% chance to hit. Can be rectified with the behaviour editor though, thankfully.

- Music:
  • Grossly misused. During supposedly "epic" moments in the narration you have exploration/gay flutes playing in the background.
  • There's no boss soundtracks, not even a special soundtrack for the final encounter.
  • Lots of music from PoE1 which clashes strongly with PoE2's different style
  • Only song i liked is the one that plays in the Tim Cain tavern
- Side Quests:
  • In general, feel unfinished or are nothing special. Arkemyr's quest ends with
    you asking what the council's interest in the other mage's findings are. You get a *wink* *wink* and quest completed, but this never comes up again.
  • Companions are more consistently mediocre. Whereas PoE1 had peaks with Edér, Zahua and Durance, I didn't really find anything in PoE2. They're just sort of ok. The quests are extremely short, and I felt like nothing happened during them. The companions didn't evolve as characters, they didn't learn anything. They were also very short.
  • Overall questlines were very short.
- Main quest is also extremely short and as linear as it gets - no twists, no revelations, nothing. Utterly predictable.
- Obsidian repeats the PoE1 mistake. Some God stole my soul, yet my PC feels no mechanic consequences of this event.
- Final boss (??? if it can be called that) is seriously shit.
- Game is very easy, almost no reason to use any of the systems like alchemy, explosives, or empower.
- Injuries are pointless with unlimited resting.

I get the impression that this game, despite being in development for 3 years, is still unfinished. Either that, or I managed to miss a huge chunk.
It's a sad state of affairs that when Obsidian gets one of its best gameplay design teams, the narrative team is so pathetically weak. PoE2 had all the potential. I really wonder what game this could have been if the old writers were still there.

Final gametime 40h. Missed some stuff.

Last edited:

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Does anyone like this setting? I'm not a fan of tribal people, myself.

The setting is a thousand times more interesting than the Dyrwood.

I’m only fifteen hours in but I agree with everyone who says the game really doesn’t seem fully baked. I’m enjoying it, but it definitely could’ve used another six months in the oven.

Maxie I got a very different impression. The Huana have given over two entire districts of their capital city to the Vailians and the Rauatai, and the latter basically turned their quarter into a fortress. A regime that lets a foreign power build a big army base in their capital is hanging on by a thread.

Their government is not totally abject before the foreigners, but they are quite weak. The only reason the queen still has any influence is that she can play the two great powers against each other. This is what many of the Indian states looked like before the British drove the French out of the subcontinent and swiped the whole thing.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
If the alternative was generic fantasy-land like the first game, I suppose it's easy to learn to like anything.

I hate boats with a passion, I thought more people would be like me. It looks silly and the boat-fighting is super uncool. If people love it then hey great.

What I don't like about the natives is that the main tribe only care about history so far and not civilization. I don't care about their ignorant mystical god tales when it has no reasonable allegory, other than "the other people are bad."

AN4RCHID

Arcane
- Music:
  • Grossly misused. During supposedly "epic" moments in the narration you have exploration/gay flutes playing in the background.
  • There's no boss soundtracks, not even a special soundtrack for the final encounter.
  • Lots of music from PoE1 which clashes strongly with PoE2's different style
  • Only song i liked is the one that plays in the Tim Cain tavern

This, so much. There has been like one track so far that I liked (in Ashen Maw). It's not even as good as The White March score, which I believe was the same composer.

2house2fly

Magister
In general the music is on a level with Pillars 1, quality wise- inoffensive but not great, with a few standout tracks I really enjoy

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom