Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Ryu Ga Gotoku Studio (Yakuza, Judgment, Binary Domain + more!) Discussion Thread

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
worth playing 1 and 2 on an emulator if I can't be arsed to buy a ps3 or ps4?

I would say yes. Keep in mind each Yakuza game has a summary video on what happened previously, but it's obviously not the same as playing said games. Also, Yakuza 1 is arguably better emulated because goddamn those loading times were something Yakuza 2 definitely improved upon. You could also make an argument that first two games are clunky but I would say that's because they're more on the side of methodical beat 'em ups where you don't want to mash so thinking about positioning matters a lot more.

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
I have one digression about character backgrounds. This is just my own interpretation and as such isn't official or anything like that, and I hope people read it as a kind of lip service, but I think that Kiryu is probably a virgin. Probably. Kiryu held this pure love for Yumi Sawamura, but because of Nishikiyama he probably never made any strong advances on Yumi. Probably. Neither Kiryu nor Nishikiyama laid a hand on Yumi until they were 27. I do think that Nishikiyama probably played around along the way, though. Probably. Things happen and Kiryu ends up spending 10 years in prison for the murder of Sohei Dojima. Though he does enjoy himself with hostesses after being released, I'm sure he never actually lays a hand on them because he loves Yumi. And then Yumi passes away, and time just drags on. Mayumi says something about this in Ryu ga Gotoku 5 as well, right? "We've been together for six months, but haven't done anything." That means that Kiryu must still have no experience and keeps holding onto that pure love. Probably.

I'm sure that there are a lot of cases to be made for and against my opinion, but generally, when something is set in a fantasy world you can, with a level of realism, think about things that you usually never would. Leaving to one side the question of whether or not Kiryu is a virgin, I think that one of the charms of Ryu ga Gotoku is that you can talk like this about the kind of silly things you might discuss at a bar.

http://fftranslations.atspace.co.uk/rtz/portrait01.html

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Doesn't change the fact that even in just the first chapter of Yakuza 0 (decided to get into the series with that and 6, probably going to order the two Kiwami games since so far it's so awesome) Kiryu manages to out-MANLY just about all other crime game protags. Having your forte be beating the everliving shit out of everyone that gets in your way instead of primarily using a gun helps with 100% MANLY factor too.

Vaarna_Aarne

Goddamnit, I've barely gotten started with Yakuza Zero due to getting sidetracked by toy cars and beating up Mr Shakedowns, and already I've started drafting plans for acquiring Kiwami 1 and Yakuza 3, 4, and 5 in preparation for Kiwami 2 later this year.

karoliner

Arcane
Vatnik
https://gematsu.com/2018/05/yakuza-3-4-and-5-remasters-announced-for-ps4

Yakuza 3, 4, and 5 remasters announced for PS4

Sega will release remastered versions of Yakuza 3, Yakuza 4, and Yakuza 5 for PlayStation 4, the latest issue of Dengeki PlayStation reveals.
Here is the Japanese release schedule:
  • Yakuza 3 – August 9 for 3,990 yen (includes soundtrack download code)
  • Yakuza 4 – Fall 2018
  • Yakuza 5 – Spring 2019
The remastered releases will have improved resolution and frame rates.

Deflowerer

Arcane
Despite releasing it in Japan first, I am pretty sure it's a move done with worldwide audience in mind (just like Kiwami 2 was, actually).

Hopefully US release of Yakuza 3 remains uncut.

Felix

Arcane
I have one digression about character backgrounds. This is just my own interpretation and as such isn't official or anything like that, and I hope people read it as a kind of lip service, but I think that Kiryu is probably a virgin. Probably. Kiryu held this pure love for Yumi Sawamura, but because of Nishikiyama he probably never made any strong advances on Yumi. Probably. Neither Kiryu nor Nishikiyama laid a hand on Yumi until they were 27. I do think that Nishikiyama probably played around along the way, though. Probably. Things happen and Kiryu ends up spending 10 years in prison for the murder of Sohei Dojima. Though he does enjoy himself with hostesses after being released, I'm sure he never actually lays a hand on them because he loves Yumi. And then Yumi passes away, and time just drags on. Mayumi says something about this in Ryu ga Gotoku 5 as well, right? "We've been together for six months, but haven't done anything." That means that Kiryu must still have no experience and keeps holding onto that pure love. Probably.

I'm sure that there are a lot of cases to be made for and against my opinion, but generally, when something is set in a fantasy world you can, with a level of realism, think about things that you usually never would. Leaving to one side the question of whether or not Kiryu is a virgin, I think that one of the charms of Ryu ga Gotoku is that you can talk like this about the kind of silly things you might discuss at a bar.

http://fftranslations.atspace.co.uk/rtz/portrait01.html

"wtf, this is like the guy sperging over whether Aerith was a virgin. Just who is this autist..."

Script, sound director, stage director, chief producer
Masayoshi Yokoyama

:hmmm:

There are scenes where Kiryu come out of a hotel with a hostess in Yakuza 5 if you have max hearts or whatever with her, what did they do in the hotel, talk?

Vaarna_Aarne

I really appreciate that the 3-5 remaster schedule hopefully takes place in the West too and hopefully around the Kiwami 2 release. That'll give me plenty of more great times in Kamurocho.

Vaarna_Aarne

Having finished with Yakuza 0, I have strengthened my conviction that a final boss becomes better if fought mano-a-mano in fist-to-fist combat.

Removal of shirts before battle is optional but preferable.

witapepsi

Novice
Man, Yakuza Ishin is really good. It seems a little bigger than 5, content wise. The Another Life mini-game is fun, I will honestly load up the game just to pick vegetables and level up my equipment/weapons.
I wish they officially released it in English, I had so much fun.

Deflowerer

Arcane
Yeah, once my Nipponese is semi decent, I'll jump on it.

I did happen to listen to the final boss theme though and holy shit, it's fucking incredible.

Vaarna_Aarne

Let's just hope that the Fist of the North Star game they made doesn't end up like Ishin as a gem only those fluent in Japanese can enjoy.

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Which Yakuza do you recommend for start playing the franchise on PS4?

Vaarna_Aarne

I'm new myself, but I felt Zero is a good starting point, the other alternative I figure is what I'm tackling next which would be Kiwami.

witapepsi

Novice
Yeah, once my Nipponese is semi decent, I'll jump on it.

I did happen to listen to the final boss theme though and holy shit, it's fucking incredible.
I used this guide by KHHsubs to play through the game. It's pretty straightforward and well organized. There's a video guide for Kenzan by them too.
They're currently working on a guide for the Kurohyou PSP spinoffs, which I'm helping out with since I'm impatient lol, and Hokuto Ga Gotoku as well.

Vaarna_Aarne

Having gotten a little further in Kiwami, I definately would recommend playing Zero first due to the recurring substory characters, especially when it comes to Pocket Circuit.

Deflowerer

Arcane
Yes, at this point pretty much start from 0 and play them in order.

0 and 2 are most stand-alone and due to Kiwami 2, the most connected.

Arguably one of the most important plot threads is the relationship between Haruka and Kiryu, and because of that, I highly recommend playing 1, 3, 5 and 6 in order.

I haven't played a lot of 6 yet, but at least the beginning is much more emotionally resonant if you have played 3 and 5 in particular.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
I think it's just people wanting to play them in chronological order. Prequel is probably more satisfying to fans who are already familiar with the originals.

Vaarna_Aarne

Hard to say in that regard, since two of the characters that appear in Zero as well die within the first fifteen minutes of Yakuza 1/Kiwami. Another thing is obviously Goro Majima, who I definately like a lot more thanks to the introduction I got to him from Zero and because of that little twist it puts on the jokester character formula.

Start from 0? Did Kiwami change that much about the first game?
Well like I mentioned, there's the whole Pocket Circuit minigame and substory that don't exist in the original, which is definately more satisfying when you know who Pocket Circuit Fighter is.

Vaarna_Aarne

Additional and expanded cutscenes in the main story too as far as I understand. Also Majima in drag.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom