Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pre-DLC Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

Parabalus

Arcane
How's the level of content padding in this? The number of trash mobs in PoE1 was a big turnoff.
I haven't seen real PoE-style trash mobs yet, but I've done little free roaming.

this game has no sea shanties, it's shit
I've had them sing yesterday when they were at 54 morale or so.

tbh i dont even how much of a clusterfuck this combat is

all dudes move at least x2 faster than they should

combat starts, suddenly 98347693769349 effects followed by 'STATUS EFFECT!' 'STATUS EFFECT!' 'STATUS EFFECT!' 'STATUS EFFECT!' 'STATUS EFFECT!' 'STATUS EFFECT!' 'STATUS EFFECT!' 'STATUS EFFECT!' 'STATUS EFFECT!' 'STATUS EFFECT!' 'STATUS EFFECT!' over every combatant's head

all of this with various colourful explosions going off everywhere as well

meanwhile i'm stuck in the middle of this disco and wondering wtf is even going on
It's either simple and fun combat rules and a clear interface, or complex combat rules and a messed up interface.

All the encounters on islands/boats have lower combat density than the big ports/crit path, often just one avoidable in a scripted interaction.

The floating combat text with stuff like CONCENTRATION is the biggest bother, the rest seems super clean to me. If a later patch adds filters to the on screen combat text it would be superb, I still kinda prefer this than the IE games where important stuff happens but you don't even get told about it, you have to see animation (which are cleaner than PoE's tbf).

Now that the weekend is almost over and the game still struggle to go over 20k players online, we can safely say that the game bombed harder than Bill Clinton's family reunion. By my calculation, I can say the game sold between 130-150k, gog and steam included.

Too bad, since the game is a massive improvement. Guess it's indies and D:OS2-like for the near future. :negative:
Umm, is this a bug, or did I just not understand how "party assistance" with skills work?
When I talk to Jacob Harker, there is a red option that requires 3 Streetwise. When I hover over that symbol, it says that I have "0 Self" (which is correct) and "0 party assist". Eder however has 3 Streetwise, Serafen 2, and I have both in my part right now. Bug, I guess?

Some checks are 1 char only and for party assist to work they have to be physically near you on the game map, you should have +2 party in this case.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Umm, is this a bug, or did I just not understand how "party assistance" with skills work?
When I talk to Jacob Harker, there is a red option that requires 3 Streetwise. When I hover over that symbol, it says that I have "0 Self" (which is correct) and "0 party assist". Eder however has 3 Streetwise, Serafen 2, and I have both in my part right now. Bug, I guess?

it might be that serafen and eder are too far from the goy you are talking to

at least in the text adventures party members cant assist or act if they are too far, and 'too far' means like 5m away

Rinslin Merwind

Erudite
It's really uncomfortable, that they removed/didn't implemented custom subclasses for companions. I prefer companions (even such colorful individuals) in party, but without subclasses their builds not that effective as they can be. For example Eder, in my opinion current balance almost begging for multi-classing Eder in devoted/street fighter and he would have pretty viable build. But since we don't have option to choose subclasses, he not opening his full potential. Same with Aloth ( evoker/assasin much better than rogue/wizard) and other idiots without normal subclasses. Why they did that is beyond me, I don't want mess with console commands, but I want give them normal subclasses so fucking much.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Are the dungeons good? Are there any dungeons? What happened to Fulvano's Voyage? Are all companions Joss Whedon-esque abominations? Are the side-kicks better?

Riddler

Arcane
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
Then what do you make of the massive success of DivOS2?

I really have no idea, I've been musing over that question since it came out. I just don't understand how it got so much mainstream attention. Probably some sort of freak accident and a combination of nothing AAA-like coming out then, some kind of marketing trick (no idea what), people en masse liking the first one and genuinely hyped up for the second, positive word of mouth etc. I think the success of D:OS won't be repeated any time soon.

Well my friends who don't really play RPGs but nevertheless bought DoS2 bought it primarily because they were interested in the turnbased fantasy combat with lots of varied abilities and environmental interaction.

People then universally thought it was great until they left the first island at which point they stopped playing the game.

Combat is manageable and fun (until you figure out the fundamentally shit underpinnings of it) while PoE combat is a cluster fuck. I honestly think that it was a massive mistske to give all classes abilities because it becomes absolute madness when you play it in real time. Some classes should have been based on passive ablilites and item progression rather than active abilities.

As it currently stands it is almost overwhelming for me who have played IE games, RTS games and Dota 2 (Divine 5) for over 20 years. It is not that it is too hard, it's that it's a cluster fuck and tedious to have to go through every little ability that every character has. I can totally understand how this wouldn't be enjoyable for a more casual player and I'm not sure it is giving me any additional enjoyment either.

It feels like they fail to understand what kind of game they are making here. Its like they are designing the combat of an MMO but instead of 1 character you control 5+.

Last edited:

Parabalus

Arcane
Are the dungeons good? Are there any dungeons? What happened to Fulvano's Voyage? Are all companions Joss Whedon-esque abominations? Are the side-kicks better?

All areas from the voyage are in the game and loosely tied to a quest from VIII, but no real mention of Fulvano.

Companions are ok but the triggers lack a time check so you can feel like getting rapid-fired a bit.

Dungeons are all full of varied encounters and interactions - don't think I found 2 identical back to back mob pulls a la Durgans battery or the crater.

Last edited:

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
I've been saying PoE's combat is a clusterfuck since the beginning. And, yes, it's obvious they either don't know what they want to achieve with it or are trying to cater to too many types of people at once, which makes it impossible to not be a clusterfuck. The terrible, terrible UI doesn't help.

Sentinel

Arcane
People shitting on Roxor for not knowing about the combat speed dial, but that is actually a fairly important aspect of the game - the tutorials suck donkey balls. They explain some mechanics but the combat UI goes completely ignored. For someone new to the genre they'll have a very hard time (not to say impossible) figuring out what is going on. Wouldn't surprise me if people think the combat is too chaotic because a lot of them simply don't know about the slider or what the numbers/icons mean.
Can't you just highlight everything and get the pop-up like we did back in the old days?
I mean stuff like this

Nsh7nWo.jpg

dragonul09

Arcane
Edgy
Now I wonder how much money went into this project, especially that with Fig, there are investors that went their cut back. Could it be that they approached the 10 mil mark? Because if that's accurate, that's going to put this franchise right there with Mass Effect Andromeda, to cryogenic sleep for a long ass time.

Quillon

Arcane
Better graphics & combat sounds helped with it but Sawyer just won't see how fast everything's happening on the screen, it was the same deal for the first game also. Much slower attack animations & combat running speed would fix most things but they just want it *seem* fast I guess.

Mod request: Slower attack animations + combat running speed and faster recovery times, pls, thanks, agracima.

jungl

Augur
Well my friends who don't really play RPGs but nevertheless bought DoS2 bought it primarily because they were interested in the turnbased fantasy combat with lots of effects and environmental interaction.

People then universally thought it was great until they left the first island at which point they stopped playing the game.

Combat is manageable and fun (until you figure out the fundamentally shit underpinnings of it) while PoE combat is a cluster fuck. I honestly think that it was a massive mistske to give all classes abilities because it becomes absolute madness when you play it in real time. Some classes should have been based on passive ablilites and item progression rather than active abilities.

As it currently stands it is almost overwhelming for me who have played IE games, RTS games and Dota 2 (Divine 5). It is not that it is too hard, it's that it's a cluster fuck and tedious to have to go through every little ability that every character has. I can totally understand how this wouldn't be enjoyable for a more casual player and I'm not sure it is giving me any additional enjoyment either.

It feels like they fail to understand what kind of game they are making here. Its like they are designing the combat of an MMO but instead of 1 character you control 5+.

The combat system feels like im playing a dragon quest game. Every encounter alpha strike some poor bastard with volley of guns have everyone switch weapons to melee. 3 casters cast their nukes they always cast and the encounter usually over. Chanter ice spell that reminds me of that one psi spell in underrail absolutely obliterates mother fuckers. The problem is the colors on your guys are not strong as they were in the first pillars game. If your dudes wearing helmets everyone can all start looking samey in combat. You can totally leave your guys auto attacking in real time to win a lot of the trash encounters in this game, I dont see casuals getting too overwhelmed as hard mode feels like story mode most the time.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Now I wonder how much money went into this project, especially that with Fig, there are investors that went their cut back. Could it be that they approached the 10 mil mark? Because if that's accurate, that's going to put this franchise right there with Mass Effect Andromeda, to cryogenic sleep for a long ass time.
san francisco wages for a smaller/mid-sized development team, with full v/a (even tho much of it is amateur), and licensing of music etc cuz justin bell had a child during development.
wasn't cheap at least.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
I already pointed out that Paradox did a much better campaign for PoE than Versus Evil have for Deadfire.

I don't know if it was Paradox, but it did feel to me that especially after Katrina left, Obsidian just disappeared off the earth for a while, only re-emerging when they announced the Critical Role stuff.

They had this cool-looking game to show off, they should have made more videos and trailers of it.

Why did they pick Versus Evil? Paradox seems to be a tier above them when it comes to experience and reach. For a sequel with higher production costs, they should have went up a tier not down when changing publishers.

Last edited:

Riddler

Arcane
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
Well my friends who don't really play RPGs but nevertheless bought DoS2 bought it primarily because they were interested in the turnbased fantasy combat with lots of effects and environmental interaction.

As it currently stands it is almost overwhelming for me who have played IE games, RTS games and Dota 2 (Divine 5). It is not that it is too hard, it's that it's a cluster fuck and tedious to have to go through every little ability that every character has. I can totally understand how this wouldn't be enjoyable for a more casual player and I'm not sure it is giving me any additional enjoyment either.

The combat system feels like im playing a dragon quest game. Every encounter alpha strike some poor bastard with volley of guns have everyone switch weapons to melee. 3 casters cast their nukes they always cast and the encounter usually over. Chanter ice spell that reminds me of that one psi spell in underrail absolutely obliterates mother fuckers. The problem is the colors on your guys are not strong as they were in the first pillars game. If your dudes wearing helmets everyone can all start looking samey in combat. You can totally leave your guys auto attacking in real time to win a lot of the trash encounters in this game, I dont see casuals getting too overwhelmed as hard mode feels like story mode most the time.

You can win practically all encounters by autoattacking on Veteran....

The point is that they will get overwhelmed in the sense that they stop interacting with the gameplay systems and let the game play itself which is a failure of system design. For people to enjoy the combat they actually have to engage with the systems and make active decisions, which PoE doesn't really incentivice. Muddling through by right clicking is not fun, it makes combat into busywork rather than core gamplay.

Parabalus

Arcane
People shitting on Roxor for not knowing about the combat speed dial, but that is actually a fairly important aspect of the game - the tutorials suck donkey balls. They explain some mechanics but the combat UI goes completely ignored. For someone new to the genre they'll have a very hard time (not to say impossible) figuring out what is going on. Wouldn't surprise me if people think the combat is too chaotic because a lot of them simply don't know about the slider or what the numbers/icons mean.
Can't you just highlight everything and get the pop-up like we did back in the old days?
I mean stuff like this

The circled ones are all :incline:, dunno why they would bother you, pretty unobtrusive. The counters on the tooltip on the left could be smaller I guess, or disabled with a toggle, at least for the basic inspiration/afflictions, after you learn what's what.

Malpercio

Arcane
Most of the things that appeal to people in videogames are pandering. Do you think all those hot women in impossible clothes that want to fuck YOU, you big stud of a player are not pandering? Seriously "It's pandering" is one of the most moronic and out of touch argument someone can come up with.

I don't play Japanese RPGs.
I bet you played the Witcher 3. Or any wester game with romance, really.

But this is why people don't like this faggotry stuff.
You don't like it because you are an homophobe. Stop making excuses, it makes your position even weaker in the argument. You are a stupid conservative mad about gay stuff in his game. That's OK, you are not special, but stop trying to deflect the argument and look better.

We're here taking the piss out of the game and making fun of the absurdity that is a gay shark boy, having a fun time,
What's so absurd about it? Compared to any other romance. We know the game world has many fantasy race, so there is nothing particularly weird about one character being a "shark boy". The main character can be a shark boy too. Or an elf. Or a midget.

then out comes the Liberace Brigade to get all upset and offended.
But the only perpetual butthurt is yours, though.

You'd think having a lifestyle that involves your asshole being gaped would cause you boys to loosen up a little.
I wonder why you only care about the bisexual male companions, but literally pay the women no mind. :philosoraptor:

Grab the Codex by the pussy
well so far this game is horrible only in your 'ead m8
It has RTwP. Defintely horrible.
rip
Oh please. Now you are going to pretend that you enjoy RTwP just because your giant racist ego felt insulted by my compliment? Give me a break. How about this. I will keep saying you are my hero, the paragon of tastes, and that you will obviously shit on this game. Then you make a positive review of this garbage just to piss me of, please the Obsidian fans and tarnish yourself in the process. How about that? Sounds wonderful for your imaginary reputation in the reigns of the internets. Doesn't it?

Grab the Codex by the pussy
But this is why people don't like this faggotry stuff.
You don't like it because you are an
homophobe. Stop making excuses, it makes your position even weaker in the argument. You are a stupid conservative mad about gay stuff in his game. That's OK, you are not special, but stop trying to deflect the argument and look better.
:lol::lol::lol:

Too bad, since the game is a massive improvement. Guess it's indies for the near future.
Fixed.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I've been saying PoE's combat is a clusterfuck since the beginning. And, yes, it's obvious they either don't know what they want to achieve with it or are trying to cater to too many types of people at once, which makes it impossible to not be a clusterfuck. The terrible, terrible UI doesn't help.
all the infinity games have clusterfuck combat too.

Most real time rpgs are.

imweasel

Now that the weekend is almost over and the game still struggle to go over 20k players online, we can safely say that the game bombed harder than Bill Clinton's family reunion.
Yep. I doubt it will recover, because the ratings aren't very high either (83%). It is a shame, because they actually seemed to be moving in the right direction with this game. The blatant Sawyerism in PoE 1 seems to have killed the series.

All time peak:
vAG4kPk.png

Eurocuckistan:
0fIicQH.png

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
bombastic flop of the decade award of 2018 goes to pillars of eternal 2

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom